• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Unexpected, diverse retro character?
That sounds like a pretty exciting event indeed. :awesome:
Instead of me laughing, I'll have my friend Squidward do it for me :troll:.
Pre-ballot stuff is more than likely done, and no retros are doing particularly well on the ballot as far as I know.

Had it not been for data mining, I think Ryu would've fit the bill as our unexpected newcomer.
Sakurai could always pick from the less requested retro characters as the ballot is just suggestions.
Goku could be consider retro... :troll:

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Sakurai could always pick from the less requested retro characters as the ballot is just suggestions.
Goku could be consider retro... :troll:
Get with the times, man. Goku ain't even the most requested troll character anymore.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
You know what I kind of hope we get for DLC? A retro character that is largely unexpected (similar to Duck Hunt, R.O.B and Mr. Game and Watch). I've been feeling very retro lately and it would add a little bit more diversity to the roster (even though it's already diverse enough).
I couldn't agree more.......

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Actually, renders/character artwork (y'know, the poses he amiibo figures are based around) tend to be one of the last things done.

If you'd like some proof.......in the Smash Direct from April 2014, you'll see several scenes of Diddy Kong and Lucario using their Brawl artwork in the HUD. Additional proof comes with the fact that we got a still image of Mewtwo's model rather than his render in the 50 Facts Direct.
Hmm, that is true.

I mean, yes, the renders do take some additional work besides just purely a model, and the differences are pretty clear between the character artwork and their respective in-game trophies. This goes into what I was mentioning before though, with the team possibly expediting certain processes and working simultaneously on all parts of the project instead of one after another. Agile development, if you will. Amiibo didn't exist when they were originally creating the characters, but it does now when they're creating the DLC. Perhaps the amiibo sculpter could use a rougher version of the character model and add minor updates from the artist as needed. As @vaanrose has mentioned before, a 3D model for a professional is not going to take an excessively lengthy period of time. They just need to iron out the final design prior to developing both models and they can be done largely at the same time. I'm not convinced this is the best way to manage the situation, but it depends on their priorities, I suppose.

At the end of the day, if they're already working on a DLC character, there's plenty of time for them to have an amiibo out of it by the holiday season this year. It's only July, after all.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I heard that there's currently a live action Mighty No.9 movie in the works. I have 2 questions. 1: Where did that money come from? It wasn't a stretch goal on anything, right? Second, WHY DIDN'T YOU WAIT TILL THE BLOODY GAME RELEASES TO SEE IF A MOVIE IS A GOOD IDEA?!?
I really want to see where this Sonic Movie is going.
The Entire Opening To unleashed is like a movie.
Compile that with Night of the Werehog.
I want to see this kind of thing as a movie. I dread to think about what it will end up actually being.
Man Unleashed was great.:4sonic:
With the movie being live-action, I hope it's something like the Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy, rather than the Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Also, new Rayman (mobile) game!
Looks fun, but I seriously hope this isn't all that they have planned for his 20th anniversary.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You know what I want, I know it isn't Dmash related but can we get a Zelda game where :4zelda: is playable and the main character of the game instead of :4link:.

I know about the slew of stupid CD-I jokes but I'm serious, why don't we try out a game with her adding a lot more magic abilities, different style of puzzles, combat is limited due to her skills in that regard, bosses having much more strategy since you can't get the usual item of the stage and probably a unique setting.

I was never big of a female Link but a game playing Zelda would be incredible if done right

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You know what I want, I know it isn't Dmash related but can we get a Zelda game where :4zelda: is playable and the main character of the game instead of :4link:.

I know about the slew of stupid CD-I jokes but I'm serious, why don't we try out a game with her adding a lot more magic abilities, different style of puzzles, combat is limited due to her skills in that regard, bosses having much more strategy since you can't get the usual item of the stage and probably a unique setting.

I was never big of a female Link but a game playing Zelda would be incredible if done right
I actually like the idea to be able to choose between Link or Linkle

A Zelda game where you plan as Zelda certainly isn't a bad idea, you just have to think outside the box, Zelda isn't an adventurer, so what can she do? Magic. What can you do to make the magic fun? What puzzles can you make? Who's going to be the villain?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't see it as bullying. Just teasing.

It's not even anything personal, anyway. I'd be saying the same sort of stuff to anyone else who insists that Assist Trophies/Bosses/NPCs/whatever are viable. In fact, I did say the same crap to the Ridley supporters who insisted he still had a shot thanks to that ridiculous Wii U exclusive character theory, and the ones who still insisted Classic Ridley would be playable after 50 Facts Direct finally fully revealed him as a boss.

I don't get the whole "talking bad about my favorite is a personal attack!" logic that tends to go around. In case you haven't noticed, I've been saying that Wolf, my absolute most wanted character, isn't the lock most people seem to consider him to be. I am one of the only two people that I know of who feel this way.

If I'm disrespecting you by saying Midna and Ghirahim have no chance of being playable (and they don't), I'm disrespecting myself by saying Wolf is highly likely to not return.
What you "see" it as is hardly important, especially since, as the person taking the action you are likely to see it in a different light than the person on the receiving end. Clearly @ Kenith Kenith is uncomfortable by your repeated jabs and I don't see why it's so important to you to make irrelevant comments if it's clear they bother somebody. Not to mention that "teasing" is so frequently used as a euphemism for more malicious behavior that that's a terrible defense anyway.

Also, I think you're completely misunderstanding what the problem is here. It's not so much "You don't think my fav is likely," it's that on multiple occasions now, you've brought this up in a situation where it wasn't at all relevant. It comes off as malicious, as a targeted attack toward somebody. I haven't even seen Kenith say anything about how likely they are in recent history.

If Kenith brings them up, whatever, fine, talk about how unlikely they are. But I haven't seen them come up in a while and yet you still feel the need to do so whenever Kenith mentions any character's chances, and if I were in Kenith's place I think I'd feel pretty uncomfortable and attacked as well. Everyone should be comfortable here, and that takes precedent over anybody's desire to "tease" anybody else.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What you "see" it as is hardly important, especially since, as the person taking the action you are likely to see it in a different light than the person on the receiving end. Clearly @ Kenith Kenith is uncomfortable by your repeated jabs and I don't see why it's so important to you to make irrelevant comments if it's clear they bother somebody. Not to mention that "teasing" is so frequently used as a euphemism for more malicious behavior that that's a terrible defense anyway.

Also, I think you're completely misunderstanding what the problem is here. It's not so much "You don't think my fav is likely," it's that on multiple occasions now, you've brought this up in a situation where it wasn't at all relevant. It comes off as malicious, as a targeted attack toward somebody. I haven't even seen Kenith say anything about how likely they are in recent history.

If Kenith brings them up, whatever, fine, talk about how unlikely they are. But I haven't seen them come up in a while and yet you still feel the need to do so whenever Kenith mentions any character's chances, and if I were in Kenith's place I think I'd feel pretty uncomfortable and attacked as well. Everyone should be comfortable here, and that takes precedent over anybody's desire to "tease" anybody else.
Whoa. I just saw Firus enter the thread a few weeks ago and I've seen you lay down the smackdown like two times.
Good on you bud.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I actually like the idea to be able to choose between Link or Linkle

A Zelda game where you plan as Zelda certainly isn't a bad idea, you just have to think outside the box, Zelda isn't an adventurer, so what can she do? Magic. What can you do to make the magic fun? What puzzles can you make? Who's going to be the villain?
A dungeon crawler with stealth mechanics wouldn't be too bad.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
A dungeon crawler with stealth mechanics wouldn't be too bad.
I don't think that would work with Zelda unless you're using Sheik. Which wouldn't be bad either, making it reflective of her Smash playstyle, a ninja and someone with powerful magic. Sheik gets the stealth sections exclusive to her and Zelda gets puzzles to play with magic, in combat, you could have something like I don't know, the Arkham games for Sheik, but for Zelda, you have an MP bar for devastating attacks

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Pretty sure I've only done it outside of actual discussions about those characters thrice. They were directly mentioned (Usually by Kenith himself) every other time.

But whatevs, I'll stop. Want me to start putting Trigger Warnings in any post I say someone has no chance in, too? 'Cause I'm cool with that. :awesome:

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Not that I know of. It would have been all over the place if so. You're probably thinking of CEO... which got nothing.
Which we ALL said ahead of time, but some people just like getting disappointed.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Pretty sure I've only done it outside of actual discussions about those characters thrice. They were directly mentioned (Usually by Kenith himself) every other time.

But whatevs, I'll stop. Want me to start putting Trigger Warnings in any post I say someone has no chance in, too? 'Cause I'm cool with that. :awesome:
Burb, I think mocking "Trigger Warning" stopped being funny when it first happened.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Pretty sure I've only done it outside of actual discussions about those characters twice. They were directly mentioned (Usually by Kenith himself) every other time.

I'm remembering a third time, but the number of times isn't so much important, because it's unnecessary in the first place.

And as I said, saying a character is unlikely is not the problem here.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Burb, I think mocking "Trigger Warning" stopped being funny when it first happened.
Apparently you can't tell the difference between sarcasm and humor.

I'm remembering a third time, but the number of times isn't so much important, because it's unnecessary in the first place.

And as I said, saying a character is unlikely is not the problem here.
Nope, you were right, I checked it myself and edited it as such before this response popped up. It was three. Every other mention of Midna that I know of was in direct response to Kenith mentioning them.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Apparently you can't tell the difference between sarcasm and humor.
Yeah, okay, actually nevermind I'm not doing this today. Discussion over.

On another note, if Metal Mario was introduced, how could he be made into an entirely different character, do you guys think?

EDIT: Smash-wise.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Which we ALL said ahead of time, but some people just like getting disappointed.
I blame the sole fact of last year, anything had to be related to a Smash reveal

Comic Con last year, everyone was screaming :4ness::4ness::4ness::4ness:

The Hyrule Warriors Direct and people was thinking Sakurai would reveal :4ganondorf: that night

APEX announcement people were suggesting Melee HD or a sneak peek at :4mewtwo: but ended up being Splatoon demo

And then there was the Splatoon direct but to be fair there was one Smash reveal
Albeit an alt but all the same

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Yeah, okay, actually nevermind I'm not doing this today. Discussion over.
Now that's funny. :chuckle:

I blame the sole fact of last year, anything had to be related to a Smash reveal

The Hyrule Warriors Direct and people was thinking Sakurai would reveal :4ganondorf: that night

APEX announcement people were suggesting Melee HD or a sneak peek at :4mewtwo: but ended up being Splatoon demo

And then there was the Splatoon direct but to be fair there was one Smash reveal
There's zero precedent for significant Smash reveals happening at non-E3 conventions/expos or gaming tournaments.

We've gotta be at about 0-12 with these predictions, and yet people still make them. It should be blatantly obvious by this point that nothing interesting is gonna happen with Smash at Comic Con.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Get with the times, man. Goku ain't even the most requested troll character anymore.

Actually, I believe this character will most likely get in over Shrek.
Untitled.png

It's called our Hopes and Dreams :troll:.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158

Right, and I would think people would learn "Wait a minute, didn't we do the same thing last year, and nothing came of it?" lol. We are doomed to repeat history because nobody learns.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's ok Kenith, you know we wuv you.

On another note, if Metal Mario was introduced, how could he be made into an entirely different character, do you guys think?
EDIT: Smash-wise.
I could see him being a very heavy and strong Mario with super armor. Kinda like the...Metal Box item. Though I imagine him more as Mario with Ganondorf's physics and power.

They could change his specials and his normals to reflect Super Mario 64. Ex. his dash attack is a dive, and he has the Ground Pound as a d-air.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

There's zero precedent for significant Smash reveals happening at non-E3 conventions/expos or gaming tournaments.

We've gotta be at about 0-12 with these predictions, and yet people still make them. It should be blatantly obvious by this point that nothing interesting is gonna happen with Smash at Comic Con.
Jesus, do you not know how to do anything but provoke people, Burb?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Jesus, do you not know how to do anything but provoke people, Burb?
How am I provoking you?

You responded to me calling a post of mine "unfunny" when I wasn't trying to be funny.

Just because you suddenly decided to backpedal doesn't mean I have to stop responding. You wanted to get involved, so now you're involved. :rolleyes:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

Actually Burb, I do have a question. Do you like bets? I bet there will be some sort of reveal at SDCC and you don't think so. The bet is, whoever loses will have to use their Shaq avatar from Shaqboards for a month and have a Shaq themed signature, whoever wins gets bragging rights. So, are you in? :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
How am I provoking you?

You responded to me calling a post of mine "unfunny" when I wasn't trying to be funny.

Just because you suddenly decided to backpedal doesn't mean I have to stop responding. You wanted to get involved, so now you're involved. :rolleyes:
Backpedal? No, I didn't backpedal, I said I was tired of every god damn day seeing another person going "LOL TRIGGER WARNING" when some of my friends have "triggers". Why? Because they're depressed and want to kill themselves. Oh, that's just one reason. I decided that there was no point in arguing with you because you're pretty notorious for never changing your opinions. Nor did I want to change yours, anyway. I said I wasn't doing it today then bought up and entirely different topic, and you just said "that's funny" and completely ignored the topic I bought up. Also, Ryuga, to you I really seem to be Public god damn Enemy #1, and maybe I should calm down, but I've been in this thread for a year. I know how he's "snarky".

EDIT: I wrote like all of this in a moment of some weird angry feeling. It makes 0 sense. Even to me. Sorry.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Guys giyes GIUYES! Let's all chill out and just agree I am the KING of the NintenZone Social Thread. Ok? Thank you.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Actually Burb, I do have a question. Do you like bets? I bet there will be some sort of reveal at SDCC and you don't think so. The bet is, whoever loses will have to use their Shaq avatar from Shaqboards for a month and have a Shaq themed signature, whoever wins gets bragging rights. So, are you in? :yeahboi:
That would imply the Shaq avi is a punishment

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Judging by the fact we don't know where the money for the movie came from this is most likely true
And his why I believe Kickstarter is stupid and anyone who funds anything on there is only going to end up angry, disappointed and less richer in return. Kickstarter sucks

Says the guy who backed Bloodstained :4pacman:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Guys giyes GIUYES! Let's all chill out and just agree I am the KING of the NintenZone Social Thread. Ok? Thank you.
My level 50 Donkey Kong Amiibo who gains health when he lands attacks would disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom