• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Actually no I was completely clear. My point was was that his art style is completely unique, and that he doesn't really "look" like anyone because he's made of paper. He looks like Mario, I mean, but most people want Young Link back for whatever reason, and Roy once again is red-hair Marth with nicer armor. Paper Mario, on the other hand, apparentally can't get in because hey, he looks too much like another character, who care's about the art style? Oh wait, Toon Link exists.

Yeah, how about you git gud, "devils advocate"?
I said that the 'muh different artstyle' argument doesn't work as Toon Link is the same as you're describing Paper Mario. Do you even know what Devil's Advocate is? It's looking at something from a different perspective, I don't care if Paper Mario became playable or not, but I can see why people would or wouldn't want him

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I think they're saying it because it's erasing LGBT people, oh, on top of incest, oh, on top of blatant fanservice, oh, on top of not making the best character in the game a capturable boss and have no supports...Miss you, Draj..
Sorry for bringing this back up, but this needs to be clarified:

The support was not about changing her sexuality, that was an initial mistranslation. Apparently the issue was that Soleli was fainting in the middle of the battlefield because of cute girls (which makes no sense, especially with her, but lets go with it), so Kamui used the powder as a way to help her deal with it. It wasn't trying to convert her sexuality, it was just to help her stop fainting.

However, that leads into another problem, apparently to do that Kamui spiked her drink with the drug without her consent or knowledge, which considering how dangerous that can be and the connotations that brings up, is still a red flag. He forced something on her that changed her state of mind and she had no idea he was going to do it, and the support completely glosses over it rather then address it accordingly. So even with the fixed translation, there's still a heated debate about that as it's still problematic that he drugged someone like that.

But then you'll get people complaining how it's "ruined".
Funny enough, even most people against censorship thinks that support should be changed. Drugging someone against their will is not something a lot of fans want to see carried over.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I don't think @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen was saying he "looks" Italian, "Italian" is just a part of the character of Mario. I'm Italian and I see absolutely nothing offensive about what she said there.

I'm honestly not even against Paper Mario being in Smash -- TTYD is one of my favorite games, and he's one of the few characters I have some sort of interest in having in Smash -- but I still think it's silly to argue that a different art style keeps him from looking like Mario. If you think that Roy looks like Marth, I don't see how you see "Mario with a different art style" as not looking like Mario. I think the art style would be cool and interesting and I don't particularly care that it would be a third Mario, but arguing on that point is kind of...pointless, in my opinion. If somebody is against him purely on the grounds that they don't think three look-alikes should be in Smash, I feel like that's the time to say "Okay, we have different opinions." I doubt even the most effective argument is going to win Burb over if they've made up their mind.
Italian part was a joke. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I eventually said that he does look like Mario, but tons of people in this thread just love to say "the movesets make the character" but suddenly retaliate against Paper Mario.

Nothing wins over Burb-I'm not arguing with him now, I think.
I said that the 'muh different artstyle' argument doesn't work as Toon Link is the same as you're describing Paper Mario. Do you even know what Devil's Advocate is? It's looking at something from a different perspective, I don't care if Paper Mario became playable or not, but I can see why people would or wouldn't want him
Yeah, and how is the Toon Link style different? Also, yeah, I'm completely aware as to what a Devil's Advocate is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
.....well fine....but.....I still don;t get the relation.

Like what you said is....the truth, and although they are all interesting observations, but they are related to relevance only.....

(well except that dr mario one, it's more a priority thing, unless you consider it's more related to relevance, but anyway).

Because if I was trying to follow this up, it is true that paper mario is just ONE subseries....the fact he got playable in paper jam....to me, is unusual. This is why I keep mentioning the game, to me, it shows that they might not just want to let paper mario be confined in its series.....it might be the start of him having more appearances. Even without being the case....the roster exapnded so much that what;s really left in the main series?

But even if I was to talk about relevance.....it;s not really suited to be taken alone. Like, I would have expected to bring up what the character would reflect (though tbh, pretty much rosalina, jr and paper mario have a very interesting subset on their own) and the feel of their playstyle reflecting that (again, they all pretty much would sounds interesting) too.

Like I will tell the truth: it;s not just the artstyle. If it was JUST that, than it would feel natural for him to be a semi clone.....it just doesn't. it;s not like a character's diversity is defined by himself, it;s more how he would act and the way he would too. Paper mario, i actually tried to find a feel for him and I found out that it does differ from mario. Paper Mario is more someone that is quirky int he way that he would try to be attractive (or appealing if you prefer). This is why for me it goes kinda beyond just hammers, partners and stuff, it;s the way they do them.

Take G&W, it;s not just a moveset full of objects, it's the way they are animated, they reflect something that goes beyond just the moves that is more complex than G&W itself because it;s reflecting more than just him.....

keep in mind that the reasons i briefly mentioned the moveset potential is because pretty much everyone here seems to be aware of them.
Don't get me wrong, though I don't care for him, I'd be confused to why he's a clone if he did turn out to be one. Kinda like why Soleil can't S Support women
However, that leads into another problem, apparently to do that Kamui spiked her drink with the drug without her consent or knowledge, which considering how dangerous that can be and the connotations that brings up, is still a red flag. He forced something on her that changed her state of mind and she had no idea he was going to do it, and the support completely glosses over it rather then address it accordingly. So even with the fixed translation, there's still a heated debate about that as it's still problematic that he drugged someone like that.
How to solve that problem!
"Here, take this, it'll make everyone look like girls so that you can get used to pretty girls"
"Okay"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I eventually said that he does look like Mario, but tons of people in this thread just love to say "the movesets make the character" but suddenly retaliate against Paper Mario.

Yeah, and how is the Toon Link style different? Also, yeah, I'm completely aware as to what a Devil's Advocate is.
upload_2015-7-2_20-7-37.jpeg

Both look more different than Mario and Paper Mario imo
No one said Paper Mario would be a clone, they said they don't want 3 Marios. And I forgive you for your rudeness, you didn't seem to mean any malice after all

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
As much as I would love having a console/handheld hybrid, I'm not sure how will they make that work. Would the form-factor be a handheld with a special "plug-in to TV" port? Eh. I'd be down for that; the question is how and when.
Also: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/0...t-wii-u-and-3ds-after-the-nintendo-nx-launch/
If worries aren't gone after this then I don't know anymore.
"So, I believe that your point of concern should not happen immediately." -Iwata. Key word is immediately. NX confirmed replacement. It's over boys, the dream is dead.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Wait..you're telling me you'd rather not have a brilliant, unique moveset-having newcomer over Roy? lmao
I know, it's almost as if different people want different things. :confused:

And the art style is completely unique and not seen in Smash. Also he doesn't look italian? That's a bit racist...
I like Roy, but hey, he's like red-head Marth with a nice getup.
And Paper Mario is flat Mario with dot eyes and no legs.

What's your point?

You put paper mario on the same level as dr mario and toon link, both semi clones. It's not even the same way you would compare characters as it;s honestly VERY unatural to think paper mario as semiclone, the character itself just happens to feel unatural to his counterpart and actually, that improves the "original character" thinking you would want in the first place.
Do I really need to say it again?

I'm fully aware that he wouldn't play like Mario and would not be a clone; but I don't care because I'd rather have a new character than a third version of Mario.

It's not about movesets. It's about individuality.

Watch out y'all, the two man Paper Mario squad has been set loose for another day.

Soul.

"So, I believe that your point of concern should not happen immediately." -Iwata. Key word is immediately. NX confirmed replacement. It's over boys, the dream is dead.
>immediately
>says they won't replace Wii U and 3DS with NX
this is going nowhere, isn't it

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't think @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen was saying he "looks" Italian, "Italian" is just a part of the character of Mario. I'm Italian and I see absolutely nothing offensive about what she said there.

I'm honestly not even against Paper Mario being in Smash -- TTYD is one of my favorite games, and he's one of the few characters I have some sort of interest in having in Smash -- but I still think it's silly to argue that a different art style keeps him from looking like Mario. If you think that Roy looks like Marth, I don't see how you see "Mario with a different art style" as not looking like Mario. I think the art style would be cool and interesting and I don't particularly care that it would be a third Mario, but arguing on that point is kind of...pointless, in my opinion. If somebody is against him purely on the grounds that they don't think three look-alikes should be in Smash, I feel like that's the time to say "Okay, we have different opinions." I doubt even the most effective argument is going to win Burb over if they've made up their mind.
actually, I don;t even argue about JUST the artstyle (that would actually be counterproductive as it would imply soemthing I would disagree: him being natural as semi clone).

It;s A PART of his charms for sure, but i agree that it;s not the main point. I would consider what is the artstyle trying to do? What else is following this goal? Would he feel different because of something that goes outside of doing moves?

There;s more stuff, but it;s much more complex that just the way he looks.....what I don;t get is why some people put too much empahsis on how he looks instead of focusing on what he is in practice.

Don't get me wrong, though I don't care for him, I'd be confused to why he's a clone if he did turn out to be one. Kinda like why Soleil can't S Support women

"Here, take this, it'll make everyone look like girls so that you can get used to pretty girls"
"Okay"
the fact that it SOUNDS confusing is where i;m getting at, it does shows that how he looks isn;t defining everything.

i'll tell you why: it doesn;t tell the full story.

like, it;s not jsut "he would liook different", he would feel different too. I mean, to put this in perspective, link and toon link are technically based on the same entity so it makes sense to have similarity in their movesets.....but they still differ in numerous ways other than how they look.

What I would tell is Paper Mario has something going over toon link that makes the artstyle not the main point: he has abilities and a different feel from mario. They just won't feel the same and not even much similar, that is why it sounds unatural to have him as a clone....it just is hard to explain other than saying it would feel weird. That's the thing that set him apart, the charms he has is not the same as the mario one, the artstyle IS involved, but it;s not the only thing.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
"Okay"
...I just realized how much that supports reads like a bad fanfiction. It's completely out of character for both, the magic powder comes out of nowhere and is generally nonsensical, and through it all, the girl falls in love with the main character because she thinks of him as a cute girl despite being a boy. There's so many bad writing conventions with this support, they could've done a lot better then that even ignoring the controversial elements.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

What's your point?

I'm fully aware that he wouldn't play like Mario and would not be a clone; but I don't care because I'd rather have a new character than a third version of Mario.

Burb, who are you to talk about disagreeing with others and blowing up about it?

I respect you, Burb, I hold you in a high regard, but seriously, this barely even involves you anymore. So why are you getting in our faces about what we'd like?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
...I just realized how much that supports reads like a bad fanfiction. It's completely out of character for both, the magic powder comes out of nowhere and is generally nonsensical, and through it all, the girl falls in love with the main character because she thinks of him as a cute girl despite being a boy. There's so many bad writing conventions with this support, they could've done a lot better then that even ignoring the controversial elements.
Fire Emblem isn't that well known for clever writing.
Every FE plot ever: Bad guy does stuff. Hero with strange hair colour fights to save the day. Dragons! Heroes win
I can forgive the bad writing if I get a laugh out of it. Soleil should have been another choice for same-sex marriage, with some Hoshido scum as a same-sex for men

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

What's your point?

....it;s actually a bit more than moveset.

Like.....I would say that he would yes, have unique moves, both of us got that, but they just won;t reflect the same feel.

It;s really hard to explain because it's based on how it sounds to be playing, but if 2 character LOOKED similar and had a different feel, I would have a bit of a hard time calling them the same after.....

Like, one thing that I found pecular is ZSS and samus, they really feel different like.....it';s not even jsut the moves it really affects how you play them whcih in turns reflects their subset, but at the end....they are both samus.

What I means is if for example there was another samus with another suit that made her haivng new moves AND enough to not feel the same, I would still have a hard time to tell if they are both the same entity even though i would be aware they technically are.

Essentially, if that happened, i would think it's an addition.

idk if you feel the same, but that's what I meant, it's not just the moves, those are interesting yes, but the direction they go is a lot more interesting.....it;s like it defines a much bigger part of the character and how he would look.

EDIT:

Burb, who are you to talk about disagreeing with others and blowing up about it?

I respect you, Burb, I hold you in a high regard, but seriously, this barely even involves you anymore. So why are you getting in our faces about what we'd like?
I quoted him.....

i mean, I actually chose to be involved and me quoting him with quite a long wall makes sense for him to be involved if he wanted.

i mean geez, I quoted him TO get a response (or why would I have quoted him? :) )

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
"its a shame hyrule warriors 3d wasnt announced when the ballot started or else tetra might have a chance"

would you guy please stop acting like the ballots over its getting kind of rediculous

Burb

The Absolute Worst
....it;s actually a bit more than moveset.

Like.....I would say that he would yes, have unique moves, both of us got that, but they just won;t reflect the same feel.

It;s really hard to explain because it's based on how it sounds to be playing, but if 2 character LOOKED similar and had a different feel, I would have a bit of a hard time calling them the same after.....
To you.

To me, the fact that Paper Mario would have his own moveset doesn't necessarily make him worth using DLC assets on another version of Mario.

You can say "BUT BUT BUT HE'D HAVE HIS OWN MOVESET SO IT'D BE OKAY! STOP JUDGING SO MUCH ON THE FACT THAT HE'S ANOTHER MARIO!" until you're blue in the face. I don't care, I'm still not fond of the idea of having three variations of the same character.

The things I'd argue with people on a regular basis about usually involve facts that people outright ignore because it goes against what they want. Ridley, Tower of Smash, the ESRB roster being final.......all of them.

What you guys are getting upset about is 100% an opinion. There is no point in arguing about it or getting this heated about it. I can't convince you guys that Paper Mario's lack of individuality is a problem, and you can't convince me that Paper Mario's moveset potential trumps the fact that he'd be Mario #3. There is no right or wrong.

FYI; I'm not getting in your face. You're getting in mine. In case you forgot, this started with me making a post about my feelings regarding Paper Mario as a newcomer.

I do agree with the opinion that three Marios is too much. My main reason for not wanting Young Link back is because I don't want a third Link, so I'd be quite the hypocrite to want three Marios.

At the same time.....there's not much competition left for the Mario series. Rosalina and Bowser Jr were the most important characters in the main series after the ones that are already Smash veterans (excluding Toad, who's doomed to Neutral B hell).

I'd rather have a unique character, but none of the remaining unique Mario characters are that good or important. Paper Mario's one of the best choices left.

....And before anyone says "But he would be unique!", I meant in regard to appearance. Paper Mario would obviously fight much differently than regular Mario and Doc, but he's still a short little mustached man in red.
There wasn't an ounce of hostility in that post. Nowhere did I say "You guys are wrong to want him!". I didn't even outright say I don't want him; I said I'm split.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The things I'd argue with people on a regular basis about usually involve facts that people outright ignore because it goes against what they want. Ridley, Tower of Smash, the ESRB roster being final.......all of them.

What you guys are getting upset about is 100% an opinion. There is no point in arguing about it or getting this heated about it. I can't convince you guys that Paper Mario's lack of individuality is a problem, and you can't convince me that Paper Mario's moveset potential trumps the fact that he'd be Mario #3. There is no right or wrong.

FYI; I'm not getting in your face. You're getting in mine. In case you forgot, this started with me making a post about my feelings regarding Paper Mario as a newcomer.

There wasn't an ounce of hostility in that post. Nowhere did I say "You guys are wrong to want him!". I didn't even outright say I don't want him; I said I'm split.
I was trying to point out you're getting very hostile now. There was no need to make an entire post just telling us how rude we were because people disagreed.

I'm not even upset by now. Sure, I got a bit irritated earlier, but it was at someone who was not you. I'm not even getting in ours, I haven't said a word to you since I replied to you. I'm sorry if that's how you feel, because I consider you a cool person and even a friend, Burb, but you can't convince me of anything and I can't convince you of asnything about Paper Mario, so I'm sorry that you feel that way, but you were a bit late to the draw.

Also I don't think I ever said you were hostile, just that you were being slightly hypocritical.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Fire Emblem isn't that well known for clever writing.
Every FE plot ever: Bad guy does stuff. Hero with strange hair colour fights to save the day. Dragons! Heroes win
I can forgive the bad writing if I get a laugh out of it. Soleil should have been another choice for same-sex marriage, with some Hoshido scum as a same-sex for men
That doesn't excuse the poor writing with this support, particularly if it does carry unfortunate implications. Just because we have a generic story doesn't mean we can have a support where boy forcibly gives a girl a drug that came out of nowhere without their knowledge, especially since IS is touting Fates story as much as they are (hell, most of the Iwata Asks was about the story).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

tbh though.....I actually ended up being more direct than you.....whcih is actually a bad thing, but I have to agree with that.

i mean, idk why luigi said that tbh, i quoted you, there was a reaosn to response....

In fact, i even learned why I ended up being more direct: i wasn;t saying exactly what i wanted to say (I said it in the post above however) which is why i didn;t get the perspective you saw it....I had to complete mine which I did a bit throught the discussion.

seriously, I really consider I was more direct than you....in no way your posts was too direct int he first place.

like, I actually had bad expectation, but I ended up learning stuff.....this is a good sign usually.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That doesn't excuse the poor writing with this support, particularly if it does carry unfortunate implications. Just because we have a generic story doesn't mean we can have a support where boy forcibly gives a girl a drug that came out of nowhere without their knowledge, especially since IS is touting Fates story as much as they are (hell, most of the Iwata Asks was about the story).
Oh, you were specifically talking about that support!
They should have changed it to what my suggestion was, meaning Soleil should have been fully aware about the powder and willingly used it. Had they done that, then the support wouldn't have been seen as bad

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
everyone's arguing about paper mario and here i am wanting isaac and king k rool more than anything...

Khoru

Smash Champion
Yeah...Loads of lost faith in the company as of the controversy about Mighty No. 9. If this is a kickstarter then I'm out too
why even
it's a mega man game
its music is good
its graphics are passable
an Evil SJW shouldn't affect your purchase

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
To you.

To me, the fact that Paper Mario would have his own moveset doesn't necessarily make him worth using DLC assets on another version of Mario.

You can say "BUT BUT BUT HE'D HAVE HIS OWN MOVESET SO IT'D BE OKAY! STOP JUDGING SO MUCH ON THE FACT THAT HE'S ANOTHER MARIO!" until you're blue in the face. I don't care, I'm still not fond of the idea of having three variations of the same character.

There we go, now I got everything.

The confusion (and the reason I ended too direct) is that I thought you meant the moves would be unique, but not the feel of their moves which cuased me to wonder where was the redundancy, but now i get that you pretty much weren;t implying redundancy IN THE SAME FASHION as I see it everyday.

What i usually see is that people would look at him, and pretty much claim redundancy WITHOUT knowing the reasons he wouldn't be IN PRACTICE.

Your claim wasn't that, it;s just being uncomfortable to see too similar individuals (well it is redundancy, but you get that it;s just not how I expected it).

Which.....not only is completely unrelated to what I was trying to prove, but is even more subjective than I thought it was.

Like, now that I got that, let me just apologize for being that direct earlier, it;s basically me when I don;t get something. it;s like, I really try, end up being confused because I don;t see the logic (and I really work with logic a lot) which....leads to some instability.

So, i think this argument turned out much better than I expected becasue I can learn from it, I actually don;t get into these much these days, but it's nice to see it happen now :)

again, sorry for that rudeness earlier :)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Soleil's story is getting a lot more publicity than i expected.
https://archive.is/qh87X

Fates is going to be localized so hard it wont look like the same game :urg:
Soleil is naturally bi, she still has the Girl Lover skill here, and will still have dialogue in which she's flirty with females. People are misinterpretting it. Soleil would faint from the sight of cute girls. Kamui tried to help. Kamui helps by making everyone look like a girl so Soleil gets used to being around cute girls without fainting. Only controversial stuff I really see is the drugging
why even
it's a mega man game
its music is good
its graphics are passable
an Evil SJW shouldn't affect your purchase
I'm still probably getting the game, but that SJW ruined the game for many, and not that much people were impressed by the beta.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Soleil's story is getting a lot more publicity than i expected.
https://archive.is/qh87X

Fates is going to be localized so hard it wont look like the same game :urg:
Outside of a few supports (like that one, though for different reasons as that translation's not accurate) and S lines in Fire Emblem-amie, I don't think the localization is going to be nearly that bad. Remember that this is same team that brought over Nowi (albeit with more mature dialogue in areas), Aversa stuffing you into her chest, "boingy bits" among other things, they're probably just going to tone down the lines that get a bit too sultry.

Chrono.

I don't even know exactly what controversy happened but MN9 just /looks/ underwhelming.

I mean I'll still get it but the hype is lost and I don't see myself getting hyped for this blatant ripoff of Legends.

Khoru

Smash Champion
curious, what is that controversy?

I thoguht it was promising when it happened last year (I even remember SB got a DDOS while it was going :) ).
the community manager banned donors on the forums "for being pro-gamergate", although it was significantly more complex than that
ggers and anti-sj people naturally started using this as an excuse to boycott the game

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
curious, what is that controversy?

I thoguht it was promising when it happened last year (I even remember SB got a DDOS while it was going :) ).
Woman whined Beck wasn't a black woman. Said woman becomes the community manager. CM accidentally reveals they didn't care for Mega Man and got in because she knew someone in Comcept. People call woman out. Woman censors criticism and blocks them with the official Mighty No. 9 twitter account. Comcept acknowledges the controversy but does nothing saying she won't affect the game, leaving people to believe they promote this behaviour. Comcept asks for money based on a tv show and DLC, highly unnecessary. Beta left meh impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom