• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Who ever said I wanted a third Marth? Did I pick Roy to be DLC? Strange, here I was thinking I had been opposed to the idea of giving Marth a second clone.
Regardless, Roy looks different enough from Marth and is his own individual. The differences in design between Marth and Roy are more apparent than the ones between Mario and Paper Mario or Young Link and the other two Links.
If given the choice between Roy, Young Link, and Paper Mario, I'd probably pick Roy.
Wow...that is harsh, man.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
He ain't lying. I rather take Roy than another Mario/Zelda character that is just another variation of :4mario:&:4link:.

How about actual characters from those franchises that are NOT THEM IN ANOTHER FORM.

Movesets means jack all if the new characters are just a 2D Mario and a character :4tlink: represents more. Using MM as an excuse is stupid considering :4link:=realistic 3D Zelda and :4tlink:=2D/cartoony Zelda.

We need more original fighters. More of :4zelda::4bowserjr::4palutena:&:4greninja: and less of :4drmario:&:4tlink: AKA the same character

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'd actually argue that because of his proportions Roy is visually more similar to Marth than YL is to TL and Link.

Last edited:

Soul.

Nintendo needs to think of something to keep the Wii U in its place and let NX co-exist with it. I don't think it'll be another Saturn.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Nintendo needs to think of something to keep the Wii U in its place and let NX co-exist with it. I don't think it'll be another Saturn.
I doubt most of this information is legit despite being from a credible source but I believe the NX is pretty much two systems or a console/handheld hybrid. It's trying to bring back the third pillar thing but won't be the Wii U true replacement until probably 2018/2019.

Same with the DS & GBA where the DS wasn't made to replace the GBA and still got exclusives and extra support from titles and exclusives like Mario & Luigi, Metroid: Zero Mission and Pokemon Emerald

I'd actually argue that because of his proportions Roy is visually more similar to Marth than YL is to TL and Link.
The one major thing has always been looks and design that helped Roy more. Roy in Melee had a unique design and was shorter than Marth, Smash 4 gave him a crazy new redesign with a fusion of his FE6 and Awakening redesign and looks much older and buffed.

It's not that he has similar proportions but just looks overall AKA why people prefer :4drmario::4lucina: over :4darkpit:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Regarding Marvel Vs. Capcom; the first game on the Dreamcast is the only one that interest me. It's the one game that makes me want a Dreamcast.
What runs through my head whenever I see people complaining about Sonic Boom and the lack of regular Sonic:

Yes, the games suck, but regular Sonic games have seldom been good over the past decade and a half. The difference in character designs and setting aren't that drastic. Does it really matter that much? I don't recall this much complaining when Sonic grew taller and suddenly became skinnier back in Sonic Adventure. It's really not that big of a deal, I don't think. It's either play a crap game as a blue hedgehog with peach arms or play a crap game as a blue hedgehog with blue arms and sports tape all over his body.

I actually think Tails' design is a step up. He looks hella cute with those little goggles.
To be fair, Chris Chan is an extreme example of the hate on Sonic's design and in fact of bad fans. It's stupid to complain about designs in Sonic Boom (even if I only liked the one Tails got... I want that to be in the mainstream Sonic games) but most people realize that isn't the biggest problem with the franchise.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
How? :ohwell:

He ain't lying. I rather take Roy than another Mario/Zelda character that is just another variation of :4mario:&:4link:.

How about actual characters from those franchises that are NOT THEM IN ANOTHER FORM.

Movesets means jack all if the new characters are just a 2D Mario and a character :4tlink: represents more. Using MM as an excuse is stupid considering :4link:=realistic 3D Zelda and :4tlink:=2D/cartoony Zelda.

We need more original fighters. More of :4zelda::4bowserjr::4palutena:&:4greninja: and less of :4drmario:&:4tlink: AKA the same character
^ Exactly.

I don't see how it's harsh to say I'd want a clone that's an individual rather than a unique character who's just an alternate version of one we already have.

Mario is my favorite series and the first two Paper Mario games are some of my favorite games of all time. But....if I wanna play as Mario in Smash, I'll just use the one we have. Majora's Mask was a great game, but the two Links do a fine job of representing all the Links in the series.

I acknowledged in my first post about all of this that Paper Mario is one of the best choices for a Mario newcomer remaining. I wouldn't hate to see him and would prefer him over some of the suggestions people have made, but at the same time, Mario really doesn't need any more characters. At least in SSB4. Rosalina and Bowser Jr were enough in my opinion.

I just wanna see some new faces.

No offense, brah, but you're not exactly the most impartial judge for this type of thing. :p

I don't think the "proportions" shared between Marth and Roy are similar enough to make them more samey than the Links. If you showed the three Links to someone, they'd probably guess straight away that they're different versions of the same guy. Pretty sure nobody would think Marth and Roy are one in the same.

Last edited:

Soul.

I doubt most of this information is legit despite being from a credible source but I believe the NX is pretty much two systems or a console/handheld hybrid. It's trying to bring back the third pillar thing but won't be the Wii U true replacement until probably 2018/2019.

Same with the DS & GBA where the DS wasn't made to replace the GBA and still got exclusives and extra support from titles and exclusives like Mario & Luigi, Metroid: Zero Mission and Pokemon Emerald
As much as I would love having a console/handheld hybrid, I'm not sure how will they make that work. Would the form-factor be a handheld with a special "plug-in to TV" port? Eh. I'd be down for that; the question is how and when.
Also: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/0...t-wii-u-and-3ds-after-the-nintendo-nx-launch/
If worries aren't gone after this then I don't know anymore.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Don't worry , FE "old fan" are the same since awakening and are blaming the game that save the series . Yknow the same who said that Roy is a bad unit because they don't have their "One-lord kill All ennemy in the map " character and can't love a minimum Of difficulty
At least in the west

Must have read somewere ( maybe 4chan bullsh** ) That is common for little girl to have crush on girl in Japan and IT'S considered childish ans immature

Yeah . IT'S not Like after One hours Of game somebody say That you're not related to anybody in This game , no incest sorry . Blatant / optional fanservice .

It just receive my copy Of IF today . The gameplay and the Map design in the best in the series so far . And is really balanced . The weapon even if They not breaking have some "malus/bonus" concept and a lot Of Time IT'S "little bonus/big malus" you have to actually think in this game .

I don't Really Mind this . Yes it might be different , the only thing we don't want it's to change the character personality . Oh and btw even 4chan don't Like the Soleil/MU support
Dude what the hell are you saying

The protagonist has seen their not-relatives AS their relatives for their entire life. That is basically incest, even if it's not by blood.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I don't know what Nintendo is planning here, but it seems Smash Wii U's servers are going under maintenance tomorrow.
(http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp).
From Thursday, July 2, 2015 5:50 PM
- Thursday, July 2, 2015 7:00 PM Pacific Time
During the maintenance window, the following services may be unavailable.
Wii U
- Online Play, Rankings, etc. for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
This is interesting as they've only gone under maintenance when they're adding new content. So an update is near perhaps?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Who ever said I wanted a third Marth? Did I pick Roy to be DLC? Strange, here I was thinking I had been opposed to the idea of giving Marth a second clone.

Regardless, Roy looks different enough from Marth and is his own individual. The differences in design between Marth and Roy are more apparent than the ones between Mario and Paper Mario or Young Link and the other two Links.

If given the choice between Roy, Young Link, and Paper Mario, I'd probably pick Roy.

At the time of the Mewtwo patch's release, we had no proof there were any characters actively being developed except Roy, Ryu, and Lucas. Placeholder slots are not necessarily indicative that development was actively occurring; just that they prepared slots for them.
Wait..you're telling me you'd rather not have a brilliant, unique moveset-having newcomer over Roy? lmao

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Dude what the hell are you saying

The protagonist has seen their not-relatives AS their relatives for their entire life. That is basically incest, even if it's not by blood.
Incest is if people connected by blood bang eachother. This doesn't count
Wait..you're telling me you'd rather not have a brilliant, unique moveset-having newcomer over Roy? lmao
He prefered Roy for at least looking diferent

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How about one that's technically both?

She's a Zelda that (literally) made a name for herself outside the Zelda identity.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
How about one that's technically both?

She's a Zelda that (literally) made a name for herself outside the Zelda identity.
Just a shame they didn't show of HW3DS back when the ballot started. She may have had a better chance.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I don't know what Nintendo is planning here, but it seems Smash Wii U's servers are going under maintenance tomorrow.
(http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status.jsp).

This is interesting as they've only gone under maintenance when they're adding new content. So an update is near perhaps?
There's been some strange issue with people getting "banned" from online recently. Myself included.

It's possible that this is what they're addressing.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
How? :ohwell:

^ Exactly.

I don't see how it's harsh to say I'd want a clone that's an individual rather than a unique character who's just an alternate version of one we already have.

Mario is my favorite series and the first two Paper Mario games are some of my favorite games of all time. But....if I wanna play as Mario in Smash, I'll just use the one we have. Majora's Mask was a great game, but the two Links do a fine job of representing all the Links in the series.

I acknowledged in my first post about all of this that Paper Mario is one of the best choices for a Mario newcomer remaining. I wouldn't hate to see him and would prefer him over some of the suggestions people have made, but at the same time, Mario really doesn't need any more characters. At least in SSB4. Rosalina and Bowser Jr were enough in my opinion.

I just wanna see some new faces.

No offense, brah, but you're not exactly the most impartial judge for this type of thing. :p

I don't think the "proportions" shared between Marth and Roy are similar enough to make them more samey than the Links. If you showed the three Links to someone, they'd probably guess straight away that they're different versions of the same guy. Pretty sure nobody would think Marth and Roy are one in the same.
huh.....how to put this.

Going to be extremely honest. The mario franchise didn;t need rosalina, bowser jr and dr mario. If you consider the franchise itself, the main 4 were enough.

It doesn;t mean however that it's bad to have them.

See, it's like the difference between an addition that is expanding how reflected the mario franchise is and what would be redundancy. Redundancy is basically where you reflect something already reflected. The problem is you have to kinda define what would be redundancy and the thing is, there's no such things as "we need less toon link", saying this means that at one point, every addition would be redundancy. It's certainly not the case now (kkr, isaac and many others), but it does mean that at one point, every addition would be pointless.

The reason toon link is there has to do with how the style of zelda became to be interesting to split both style into 2 separate delagate. Repping wise, there isn;t much redundancy, the only thing being that they are both links, but ALONE does this fact matter THAT much considering how they reflect something different?

In fact, you still told me one thing: you pretty much care about the character himself before the rest. This is why I have a hard time to get it, what's so wrong to have another link if there's actually reaosns to distinguish him? The worse is that using toon link to compare paper mario tbh, is extremely inaccurate, paper mario has more distinction actually and again, they are "related" to a character (i say related because tbh, with paper jam, you can;t tell he's the same mario, you can tell his origin are from him however).

What I seem to even less get is that despite this being your perception, what I got is that nintendo actually tries to shows how different both mario and paper mario are. If they are even trying, I just don;t know why it's still a problem to have him.

What i'm trying to tell you is you are discarding him for reasons that seems to not matter much. How seriously does the feel of the character, moveset, what he would reflect, diversity contribution matters less than the character itself?

Tbh, i feel the chrom case kinda tells you a bit. Chrom was considered but discarded because although his subset was an addition, the feel of him and his possible moveset would reflect a bit of redundancy in the roster (according to Sakurai at least). This is why I think robin would have been chosen, not much redundancy, the subset was still awakening related, but what changed is the delegate ONLY to make sense. To me, this shows that in the end, I hardly believe that the character itself > anything else. You migh not like these semiclone all you want, but saying they don;t add much in the roster is a bit of a stretch.

And lastly, it;s not even accurate again. You put paper mario on the same level as dr mario and toon link, both semi clones. It's not even the same way you would compare characters as it;s honestly VERY unatural to think paper mario as semiclone, the character itself just happens to feel unatural to his counterpart and actually, that improves the "original character" thinking you would want in the first place.

I think people honestly put too much value into "looking different" instead of focusing on "being different".

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The mario franchise didn;t need rosalina, bowser jr and dr mario. If you consider the franchise itself, the main 4 were enough.
No characters really need to be in Smash. It could have stayed as Dragon Fighter
Paper Mario is literally made of paper. He looks different, actually.

Watch out y'all, the two man Paper Mario squad has been set loose for another day.
Still a fat red italian dude. He looks like Mario with a different artsyle. That's all

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Just a shame they didn't show of HW3DS back when the ballot started. She may have had a better chance.
I think she still has a decent chance. It's just a month and I don't think it would have made that big of a difference.
Paper Mario is literally made of paper. He looks different, actually.
Watch out y'all, the two man Paper Mario squad has been set loose for another day.
Three man. I'm just not going to bother.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
No characters really need to be in Smash. It could have stayed as Dragon Fighter

Still a fat red italian dude. He looks like Mario with a different artsyle. That's all
And the art style is completely unique and not seen in Smash. Also he doesn't look italian? That's a bit racist...
I like Roy, but hey, he's like red-head Marth with a nice getup.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
And speaking of Dragon King, am I the only one who wanted to see what they'd do with it? It'd probably be the same as Smash, but it would've been interesting seeing how Nintendo would handle a brand new fighting IP.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
And the art style is completely unique and not seen in Smash. Also he doesn't look italian? That's a bit racist...
Mario is Italian. Paper Mario is Mario made of paper. He's still Italian. Toon Link has a different artstyle, yet everyone says Toon Link is the second Link.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

and the point?

look, everyone said it, but no one said why everything else doesn;t matter because of that.....

where the heck is the redundancy?

please, enlighten me because the whole reason of the post is to get why THAT alone = the WHOLE idea no matter how constructed it is would be is redundancy and should be discarded as an addition.

Like seriously, do you think I ONLY want him for the sake of having him int he roster ONLY?

it jsut makes no sense.....

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

and the point?

look, everyone said it, but no one said why everything else doesn;t matter because of that.....

where the heck is the redundancy?

please, enlighten me because the whole reason of the post is to get why THAT alone = the WHOLE idea no matter how constructed it is would be is redundancy and should be discarded as an addition.

Like seriously, do you think I ONLY want him for the sake of having him int he roster ONLY?

it jsut makes no sense.....
Rosalina is a popular character from the mainseries games who's been playable in lots of games.
Bowser Jr, hit or miss villain who's made lots of appearances in mainseries Mario games
Dr Mario. Was a veteran

Keep in mind I'm neutral to Paper Mario, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
There's been some strange issue with people getting "banned" from online recently. Myself included.

It's possible that this is what they're addressing.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Ban Land XD. Hopefully this is what their adressing and you guys get out of there.

Roy is my boy and all but i see no reason not to have the character thatvwould almost certainly be more unique and popular with the larger audience, paper mario, over roy if it was sumply a choice of one or the other :/ (it wasnt)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
If I missed your point then it means you weren't clear. Git Gud in debates
Actually no I was completely clear. My point was was that his art style is completely unique, and that he doesn't really "look" like anyone because he's made of paper. He looks like Mario, I mean, but most people want Young Link back for whatever reason, and Roy once again is red-hair Marth with nicer armor. Paper Mario, on the other hand, apparentally can't get in because hey, he looks too much like another character, who care's about the art style? Oh wait, Toon Link exists.

Yeah, how about you git gud, "devils advocate"?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Rosalina is a popular character from the mainseries games who's been playable in lots of games.
Bowser Jr, hit or miss villain who's made lots of appearances in mainseries Mario games
Dr Mario. Was a veteran

Keep in mind I'm neutral to Paper Mario, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate
.....well fine....but.....I still don;t get the relation.

Like what you said is....the truth, and although they are all interesting observations, but they are related to relevance only.....

(well except that dr mario one, it's more a priority thing, unless you consider it's more related to relevance, but anyway).

Because if I was trying to follow this up, it is true that paper mario is just ONE subseries....the fact he got playable in paper jam....to me, is unusual. This is why I keep mentioning the game, to me, it shows that they might not just want to let paper mario be confined in its series.....it might be the start of him having more appearances. Even without being the case....the roster exapnded so much that what;s really left in the main series?

But even if I was to talk about relevance.....it;s not really suited to be taken alone. Like, I would have expected to bring up what the character would reflect (though tbh, pretty much rosalina, jr and paper mario have a very interesting subset on their own) and the feel of their playstyle reflecting that (again, they all pretty much would sounds interesting) too.

Like I will tell the truth: it;s not just the artstyle. If it was JUST that, than it would feel natural for him to be a semi clone.....it just doesn't. it;s not like a character's diversity is defined by himself, it;s more how he would act and the way he would too. Paper mario, i actually tried to find a feel for him and I found out that it does differ from mario. Paper Mario is more someone that is quirky int he way that he would try to be attractive (or appealing if you prefer). This is why for me it goes kinda beyond just hammers, partners and stuff, it;s the way they do them.

Take G&W, it;s not just a moveset full of objects, it's the way they are animated, they reflect something that goes beyond just the moves that is more complex than G&W itself because it;s reflecting more than just him.....

keep in mind that the reasons i briefly mentioned the moveset potential is because pretty much everyone here seems to be aware of them.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't think @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen was saying he "looks" Italian, "Italian" is just a part of the character of Mario. I'm Italian and I see absolutely nothing offensive about what she said there.

I'm honestly not even against Paper Mario being in Smash -- TTYD is one of my favorite games, and he's one of the few characters I have some sort of interest in having in Smash -- but I still think it's silly to argue that a different art style keeps him from looking like Mario. If you think that Roy looks like Marth, I don't see how you see "Mario with a different art style" as not looking like Mario. I think the art style would be cool and interesting and I don't particularly care that it would be a third Mario, but arguing on that point is kind of...pointless, in my opinion. If somebody is against him purely on the grounds that they don't think three look-alikes should be in Smash, I feel like that's the time to say "Okay, we have different opinions." I doubt even the most effective argument is going to win Burb over if they've made up their mind.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
This thread in a nutshell:
"I get that you disagree with me. I get it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom