• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
If you took Sonic out of Boom.
And slapped I dunno Bubsy in there.
It would be no different it would still be a bad game even if Mario was the star.
If you put someone like bubsy in 06 it would make you think of a sonic game.
It has the spin dash, it has the homing attack.
Not to mention the characters have their regular abilities.
Knuckles doesn't glide in boom. Tails does. The one who's known for Flying,glides.
I hear the 3ds version is good somewhat. Hence it's sequel.
But Boom "Boomed" as a new spin-off of sonic.
If they can turn it around.
Major props to them.
EDIT: The designs are nice though. Not gonna lie.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I can tell you're trolling, everyone on the internet MUST know 06. Hand in your Net Card, you're fired.

P.S Secret Rings was also horrible
IMO Secret Rings was even worse than '06. Like '06 is bad but I managed to enjoy playing it, to the degree that I went to the trouble of 100% completing it. Secret Rings was just frustrating to play, and I still don't even think I beat the second-to-last boss, much less did I collect all the World Rings to do the real final boss.

General consensus probably differs, I've heard a lot of people say Secret Rings was really good, but the on-rails mechanic and the bad motion control functionality was just...ugh.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Soul.

The storybook series games are bad, lmao, that's no contest.
They are only good if you want to see Sonic going 120% brave.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
It would've been okay if SFZ had been a true sequel, but Command left the series in a really awkward position to make a sequel out of it.
Eh most people thought they'd just do a proper sequel to Assualt and ignore Command.

Soul.

I actually found to be very enjoyable, one of my favourites in the franchise, and from YT comments, it's the best of the worst
well "sucking" is more or less the general consensus. the motion controls were really annoying, the story was ok at best, but....
Eh. Sonic got a bit of a leverage when they released Colors back in 2010, I don't know whey they had to make new concepts with Lost World when the one they had already worked better.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I can tell you're trolling, everyone on the internet MUST know 06. Hand in your Net Card, you're fired.

P.S Secret Rings was also horrible
I'm actually not trolling. The only Sonic games I payed any attention to were Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles. Most people refer to The Adventure Battle games as the good ones, but that's when I signed out, I thought those ruined the franchise. Tried "Sonic 4" which was lackluster, and for some reason tried some weird one on the Wii with a genie, but don't remember what it was called. Is that secret rings? I think we played it for 10 minutes and sold it.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
How do I judge which is the worst Sonic game out of 06 and Boom? Which one is funnier to LP? Boom is worse. However, Labyrinth is the worst Sonic game imo
At least Labyrinth ends in like 20 minutes.

With 06 and Boom, you're in it for the long haul.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
well "sucking" is more or less the general consensus. the motion controls were really annoying, the story was ok at best, but....
Eh. Sonic got a bit of a leverage when they released Colors back in 2010, I don't know whey they had to make new concepts with Lost World when the one they had already worked better.
Because SEGA is like David Cage 'gaems nid 2 enorvaet ur die' Seriously, they change up gameplay mechanics, characters or even the names of the actual franchise in sequels

Soul.

Because SEGA is like David Cage 'gaems nid 2 enorvaet ur die' Seriously, they change up gameplay mechanics, characters or even the names of the actual franchise in sequels
I'm about to post something obvious but w/e, it fits pretty well.
When something works, you don't fix it. Hedgehog Engine-type of games were already good. Innovation is not always necessary.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
IMO Secret Rings was even worse than '06. Like '06 is bad but I managed to enjoy playing it, to the degree that I went to the trouble of 100% completing it. Secret Rings was just frustrating to play, and I still don't even think I beat the second-to-last boss, much less did I collect all the World Rings to do the real final boss.

General consensus probably differs, I've heard a lot of people say Secret Rings was really good, but the on-rails mechanic and the bad motion control functionality was just...ugh.
I played Secret Rings and enjoyed it. I never had an issue with the, though. Perhaps it was a wii mote issue?

That said, I don't remember getting all the world rings. I'm pretty sure I didnt since I never got to play as Dark Spines Sonic (imo a pretty cool design)

I actually found Black Knight to be very enjoyable, one of my favourites in the franchise, and from YT comments, it's the best of the worst
Secret Rings was the only Storybook Sonic I played, but I also heard Black Knight was the best of them.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Sonic is way more taller than he has ever been, and it makes him feel really lanky. It feels really awkward at that. The sports tape is really dumb too. With that said, I like Sonic wearing a scarf, I think that's pretty cool!

Also the settings of Sonic Boom is like out of a generic western cartoony platformer. Sonic's world is suppose to look stylistic and fun. The differences is pretty big.
And Sonic from Adventures onward is taller and lankier than classic Sonic. :confused:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of Monopoly, I played it with a friend last weekend.
I got sent to jail. Got out of jail. Got a Chance card. "Go directly to jail". I went to jail. Got out of jail. Got a Community Chest card. "Go directly to jail".
One. Right. After. Another.
**** you Monopoly.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I refuse to play monopoly. I never even played my Nintendo monopoly, just got it as a decoration. Played Mario Checkers and Mario Chess though.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I'm about to post something obvious but w/e, it fits pretty well.
When something works, you don't fix it. Hedgehog Engine-type of games were already good. Innovation is not always necessary.
Eh, I cant fully agree. I'll generally take refinements good additions to gameplay over playing the same game with different skins over and over. "Innovation" isn't bad, but poorly executed innovation and innovation in a direction the target player base obviously doesnt want are.

That said, my issues with modern sonic games isnt that they try to change things so often, my issue is that their changes are seldom refined and they seldom learn from either their failures or their success. Instead of fixing and refining a poorly executed, but interesting idea they just go to the next idea.

The concept of sonic boom wasnt bad at all. It was just poorly executed and glitchy in the end (due in part to a rushed schedule and the veteran developers/leaders leaving mid development). It would have been better if they used the Sonic Heroes concept as a base and just refined that imo. I honestly want them to try Boom again, but they'll probably just go to the next game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Speaking of Monopoly, I played it with a friend last weekend.
I got sent to jail. Got out of jail. Got a Chance card. "Go directly to jail". I went to jail. Got out of jail. Got a Community Chest card. "Go directly to jail".
One. Right. After. Another.
**** you Monopoly.
YOU AREN'T GIRL WHO LOOKS LIKE DON'T-E FROM DmC ANYMORE! Good taste!
A Monopoly game eh? 1 person gets stupidly rich and learns that money will make you lose friends...Until the protagonist realizes 'I can go to the nudey bar!'

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure that Monopoly is a game where the winner is decided by who can play it for the most time without getting bored

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Also, in that same game of Monopoly, after I was basically completely screwed over after landing on my friend's landmine field of hotels, I decided to turn into the big bad wolf.
I huffed, puffed, and rage-blew all of his little hotels off the ****ing board.
Jerk.

Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
The monopoly is gonna be so good. Everyone thought that Batteship was gonna suck, but Rihanna proved everyone wrong.

@ Kenith Kenith , you're one of the few people that I remember being on the early speculation days (like 2013-2014). I'm glad you're still here. And Vaanrose. I think Burb came a little later. People I miss are Dravidian, Vintage Creep (I liked how he was always getting in trouble) Morbid Altruism (He always liked posts).
The good old days. lol.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Also, in that same game of Monopoly, after I was basically completely screwed over after landing on my friend's landmine field of hotels, I decided to turn into the big bad wolf.
I huffed, puffed, and rage-blew all of his little hotels off the ****ing board.
Jerk.
Inb4 they do that in the movie by having the Kenith hurricane rampage everything

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
The monopoly is gonna be so good. Everyone thought that Batteship was gonna suck, but Rihanna proved everyone wrong.

@ Kenith Kenith , you're one of the few people that I remember being on the early speculation days (like 2013-2014). I'm glad you're still here. And Vaanrose. I think Burb came a little later. People I miss are Dravidian, Vintage Creep (I liked how he was always getting in trouble) Morbid Altruism (He always liked posts).
The good old days. lol.
I think Vaanrose joined just a couple of days before I did! Been here nearly a year already.

D

Deleted member

The good old days. lol.
I don't remember what happened, but a lot of us that were in the leaks group, and have been active since joining, all joined in like June-August last year. I don't think it was the big leak that even happened yet, but a leak caused a lot of us to come here.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I played Secret Rings and enjoyed it. I never had an issue with the, though. Perhaps it was a wii mote issue?

That said, I don't remember getting all the world rings. I'm pretty sure I didnt since I never got to play as Dark Spines Sonic (imo a pretty cool design)
It wasn't my Wiimote, it was just that the controls didn't click with me (and some bugginess with the homing attack that led to deaths). The side-to-side was fine I guess but combined with the on-rails design it was hard to go where you were trying to go every time, and forget braking/backing up because that required you to tilt the Wiimote backwards which also ended up being wonky.

If you enjoyed the game and handled the controls fine that's great, but it was not my cup of tea and it didn't really feel like a Sonic game to me.

Also on the subject of Monopoly, a few of my friends now ardently refuse to play the game because three of them got in such a big fight after a particularly badly ending game that they didn't speak for a month. When people say that game ruins friendship, they're not kidding. :p

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I don't remember what happened, but a lot of us that were in the leaks group, and have been active since joining, all joined in like June-August last year. I don't think it was the big leak that even happened yet, but a leak caused a lot of us to come here.
I joined because of the Ninka/Vaanrose leak. It gathered a lot of traction on Gamefaqs (*shudders*) and I wanted to see what the fuss was about.

D

Deleted member

I joined because of the Ninka/Vaanrose leak. It gathered a lot of traction on Gamefaqs (*shudders*) and I wanted to see what the fuss was about.
YES! That was it! It was being talked about a lot and that got me to hunt down the group

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Lol I remember Vaanrose's rage when everyone thought he made the leak! My favorite Vaanrose memory for sure :rotfl:

There were a bunch of us on another forum talking about leaks, and then Bluepikmin started the "private" group (I'm still not sure how I got in) so I think the people who got left behind just sort of left, and every once in a while I think about their funny or interesting posts and wonder what they're up to.

It's weird, I feel like I start missing these random people I've never met before lol. It's a familiarity thing. I'm sure I'll miss you guys too.

(Except Anvil, screw that guy.)

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The good old days. lol.
Well, thanks. I'm a lot better at speculation now, I think. Back then my only posts were "GHIRAHIM THO RIGHT LOL"
...Okay, actually, maybe not. lol

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
And Sonic from Adventures onward is taller and lankier than classic Sonic. :confused:
But he never felt TOO tall and the design had balance, Sonic 06 aside. Sonic Boom took it to a new level.

I don't generally have an issue with redesigns, but sometimes they end up kinda weird.

EDIT: Looking at Sonic Boom's Sonic again, yeah that leg length is really excessive for Sonic. It... just does not work. It feels weird. I even played the Wii U demo yesterday and Sonic felt kinda awkward due to that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom