• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
A while back on the now-closed Leaks thread, I took the list of characters from the "Rate their Chances" topic and gave my own thoughts on them.

Since nothing's going on anymore, the second batch of DLC has come out, and @ PushDustIn PushDustIn 's recent article on Source Gaming giving good evidence that pre-ballot DLC is likely finished, I'm gonna do an updated version. I'm also adding a section to certain characters explaining the advantages and disadvantages I feel they have, as well as some of the characters from later days (not all of them, though).

Keep in mind that these are just my opinions and are not to be taken as facts. If you're overly defensive about your character's chances or don't like it when people call a character unlikely, I'd recommend not clicking the spoiler tag.

If you'd like to compare the list to the last one I did, click here for the last one.

Characters-
1. Wolf - 60%, Want
The Good: Highly requested, already has a moveset thanks to his veteran status
The Bad: I feel Sakurai's comment about Lucas and Roy in the New Content stream gave the impression that veteran DLC may be finished. And I'm not sure ballot slots will be used on veterans.

2. Roy- Confirmed and released
3. King K. Rool - 50%, Want
The Good: The most requested potential newcomer, period. Represents a series that many consider to be under-repped.
The Bad: Has all but vanished from his own series, has stiff competition in the form of Dixie Kong.

4. Isaac - 40%, Don't Want
The Good: Highly requested, his Assist Trophy was cut (meaning he no longer has an in-game role)
The Bad: His series is dead and his own role in his series got progressively more minor as it went on.

5. Dixie - 50%, Want
The Good: Highly requested, represents a series that many consider to be under-repped, known to have been considered for Brawl, still has a presence in the DK series.
The Bad: Not as requested as K. Rool

6. Inklings - 25%, Don't Want
The Good: Highly requested, Splatoon was a major success by Wii U standards, represents a new IP that Nintendo is pushing hard
The Bad: The Inkling Trophy that was added in DLC 2 hurt their chances quite a bit.

7. Bandanna Dee - 35%, Want
8. Ice Climbers - 5%, Want
The Good: Highly requested, already has a moveset thanks to their veteran status, was intended to be in the base game but was cut due to hardware issues and their low priority.
The Bad: DLC doesn't magically make hardware issues go away. Also, see Wolf's "The Bad" section.

9. Captain Toad - 28%, Want
The Good: Recently had his own game, is a rising star in the Mario franchise.
The Bad: Comes from a series with plenty of representation (Not that this stopped Roy), doesn't seem to be requested all that often anymore, seems to be a fad character like Impa and Sceptile before him.

10. Rayman - 15%, Don't Want
11. Snake - 4%, Want
The Bad: Konami's current status might make complicate things, the fact that he didn't make the base game's roster suggests to me that he may have been a one-and-done favor from Sakurai to Kojima. Also, see Wolf's "The Bad" section.

12. Wonder Red - 10%, Don't Want
The Good: Somewhat highly requested, has quite a large presence in the Wii U version in terms of trophies
The Bad: The Wonderful 101 bombed hard, may be perceived by Nintendo as having no value as a result

13. Impa - 8%, Don't Want
14. Krystal - 3%, Don't Want
The Good: Decently requested, has a lot of moveset potential
The Bad: Extremely polarizing character (Is as hated by as many people as she is loved), is not featured in Star Fox Zero, and may be gone from the series as a result.

15. Paper Mario - 35%, Want
16. Tetra - 5%, Want
17. Ray - 5%, Don't Want
18. Chorus Kids - 10%, Want
19. Pichu - 20%, Want
20. Sceptile - 4%, Want
21. Shantae - 2%, Don't Want
22. Henry Fleming - 2%, Don't Want
23. Banjo Kazooie - 1%, Want
24. Quote - 1%, Want
25. Magolor - 5%, Don't Want
26. Ridley - 0%, Want
27. Shovel Knight - 2%, Don't Want
28. Midna & Wolf Link - 0%, Want
29. Ryu- Confirmed and released
30. Phoenix Wright - 3%, Don't Want
31. Lip - 5%, Don't Want
32. Daisy - 20%, Don't Want
The Good: Decently requested
The Bad: Is completely unimportant to the Mario series, probably the most polarizing Nintendo character other than Krystal.

33. Ninten- 6%, Don't Want
34. Geno- 0%, Don't Want
The Good: Has a cult following
The Bad: Aforementioned cult following has decreased drastically since pre-Brawl, would be far more trouble to get than he's worth, has no value to most casual gamers.

35. Spyro- 8%, Want
36. Mach Rider- 5%, Don't Want
The Good: Is among the best and most popular choices for a retro character, Sakurai seems to be a fan
The Bad: Hardly requested at all, seems like the type of character who'd be Pre-Ballot as opposed to a ballot pick.

37. Toon Zelda- 6%, Don't Want
38. Young Link- 13%, Don't Want
39. Dark Samus- 0%, Don't Want
40. Bayonetta- 3%, Don't Want
41. Takamaru- 0%, Don't Want
42. Slippy- 6%, Want
The Good: Krystal's implied departure from the Star Fox franchise opens up a huge window of opportunity for him since he's probably the most popular pick after her and Wolf.
The Bad: Hardly requested

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Soma went back and compared 1UP's translation of Sakurai's older Famitsu to the source, and discovered some mistakes. In this column, Sakurai reflects on Melee.

Masked Man posted his translation of the Lucina/Robin article, has additional details about Chrom's inclusion (Intelligent Systems seemed to enjoy the Chrom bullying).

I edited a bunch of other articles today, so we should see more soon. @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's Bayonetta article, a translation about Sakurai's work desk, and additional information about Subspace Emissary are some of the projects that will be released soon :).

Also, I created this sheet for you guys. Will try to keep it current with the translations.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Everyone in my team left me in Splatoon. I was alone. :c

Also... is the site slow, or is it just for me? It takes about 5 seconds for the text I write to show up, and even scrolling down here takes forever. Been like that for some time now, and is a major reason I am not here. :/

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Everyone in my team left me in Splatoon. I was alone. :c

Also... is the site slow, or is it just for me? It takes about 5 seconds for the text I write to show up, and even scrolling down here takes forever. Been like that for some time now, and is a major reason I am not here. :/
Do you have a lot of tabs open? That's what usually slows down the site for me.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
A while back on the now-closed Leaks thread, I took the list of characters from the "Rate their Chances" topic and gave my own thoughts on them.

Since nothing's going on anymore, the second batch of DLC has come out, and @ PushDustIn PushDustIn 's recent article on Source Gaming giving good evidence that pre-ballot DLC is likely finished, I'm gonna do an updated version. I'm also adding a section to certain characters explaining the advantages and disadvantages I feel they have, as well as some of the characters from later days (not all of them, though).

Keep in mind that these are just my opinions and are not to be taken as facts. If you're overly defensive about your character's chances or don't like it when people call a character unlikely, I'd recommend not clicking the spoiler tag.

If you'd like to compare the list to the last one I did, click here for the last one.

Characters-
1. Wolf - 60%, Want
The Bad: I feel Sakurai's comment about Lucas and Roy in the New Content stream gave the impression that veteran DLC may be finished. And I'm not sure ballot slots will be used on veterans.

The Good: The most requested potential newcomer, period. Represents a series that many consider to be under-repped.
The Bad: Has all but vanished from his own series, has stiff competition in the form of Dixie Kong.

The Good: Highly requested, his Assist Trophy was cut (meaning he no longer has an in-game role)
The Bad: His series is dead and his own role in his series got progressively more minor as it went on.

5. Dixie - 50%, Want
The Good: Highly requested, represents a series that many consider to be under-repped, known to have been considered for Brawl, still has a presence in the DK series.

The Good: Highly requested, Splatoon was a major success by Wii U standards, represents a new IP that Nintendo is pushing hard
The Bad: The Inkling Trophy that was added in DLC 2 hurt their chances quite a bit.

The Good: Highly requested, already has a moveset thanks to his veteran status, was intended to be in the base game but was cut due to hardware issues and their low priority.
The Bad: DLC doesn't magically make hardware issues go away. Also, see Wolf's "The Bad" section.

The Bad: Comes from a series with plenty of representation (Not that this stopped Roy), doesn't seem to be requested all that often anymore, seems to be a fad character like Impa and Sceptile before him.

11. Snake - 4%, Want
The Bad: Konami's current status might make complicate things, the fact that he didn't make the base game's roster suggests to me that he may have been a one-and-done favor from Sakurai to Kojima. Also, see Wolf's "The Bad" section.

The Good: Somewhat highly requested, has quite a large presence in the Wii U version in terms of trophies
The Bad: The Wonderful 101 bombed hard, may be perceived by Nintendo as having no value as a result

The Bad: Extremely polarizing character (Is as hated by as many people as she is loved), is not featured in Star Fox Zero, and may be gone from the series as a result.

16. Tetra - 5%, Want
17. Ray - 5%, Don't Want
19. Pichu - 20%, Want
20. Sceptile - 4%, Want
24. Quote - 1%, Want
26. Ridley - 0%, Want
31. Lip - 5%, Don't Want
The Bad: Is completely unimportant to the Mario series, probably the most polarizing Nintendo character other than Krystal.

34. Geno- 0%, Don't Want
The Bad: Aforementioned cult following has decreased drastically since pre-Brawl, would be far more trouble to get than he's worth, has no value to most casual gamers.

35. Spyro- 8%, Want
The Good: Is among the best and most popular choices for a retro character, Sakurai seems to be a fan
The Bad: Hardly requested at all, seems like the type of character who'd be Pre-Ballot as opposed to a ballot pick.

42. Slippy- 6%, Want
The Good: Krystal's implied departure from the Star Fox franchise opens up a huge window of opportunity for him since he's probably the most popular pick after her and Wolf.
Interesting read. I don't agree with some of the %s, but do agree with alot of your reasonings. If I can be bothered later. Maybe I'll do this too.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Soma went back and compared 1UP's translation of Sakurai's older Famitsu to the source, and discovered some mistakes. In this column, Sakurai reflects on Melee.

Masked Man posted his translation of the Lucina/Robin article, has additional details about Chrom's inclusion (Intelligent Systems seemed to enjoy the Chrom bullying).

I edited a bunch of other articles today, so we should see more soon. @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's Bayonetta article, a translation about Sakurai's work desk, and additional information about Subspace Emissary are some of the projects that will be released soon :).

Also, I created this sheet for you guys. Will try to keep it current with the translations.
Sakurai may not have directly said it, but does that mean Chrom was originally planned to be a part of the initial roster?

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Template of @ Burb Burb 's post:
Characters-
1. Wolf -
3. King K. Rool -
4. Isaac -
5. Dixie -
6. Inklings -
7. Bandanna Dee -
8. Ice Climbers -
9. Captain Toad -
10. Rayman -
11. Snake -
12. Wonder Red -
13. Impa -
14. Krystal -
15. Paper Mario -
16. Tetra -
17. Ray -
18. Chorus Kids -
19. Pichu -
20. Sceptile -
21. Shantae -
22. Henry Fleming -
23. Banjo Kazooie -
24. Quote -
25. Magolor -
26. Ridley -
27. Shovel Knight -
28. Midna & Wolf Link -
30. Phoenix Wright -
31. Lip -
32. Daisy -
33. Ninten-
34. Geno-
35. Spyro-
36. Mach Rider-
37. Toon Zelda-
38. Young Link-
39. Dark Samus-
40. Bayonetta-
41. Takamaru-
42. Slippy-

My version:

1. Wolf - 30%. Want No more pre-ballot characters, limited DLC. Things aren't looking good.
3. King K. Rool - 60% Don't mind. highly requested both in Japan and the US.
4. Isaac - 30% Don't mind. not relevant. But was in Brawl as an AT. Has pockets of popularity, but for limited slots I don't see him coming back.
5. Dixie - - 60% Want. I honestly see her and King K. Rool at the same percentage, as they both have things in their favor and minuses.
6. Inklings - 30% Want costumes aren't the death of them, but the trophy might.
7. Bandanna Dee - 40% Don't mind if Kirby series is going to get another rep, it'll be him.
8. Ice Climbers - 1%. Want Sorry.
9. Captain Toad - 40% Don't mind somewhat popular, and relevant.
10. Rayman - 40% Don't mind. Ubisoft isn't the best partner for Nintendo recently.
11. Snake - 20% Want. I think he was cut for a reason (not meshing with other characters)
12. Wonder Red - 40% Don't mind. Pockets of support.
13. Impa - 20% Don't want. Personally, I'd rather have Tingle over Impa.
14. Krystal - 20% Don't want. Not in newest Star Fox, Wolf would come first.
15. Paper Mario - 50% Want. Popular in Both Japan and the US.
16. Tetra - 20% Want. I don't really see her getting into Smash with the ballot.
17. Ray - 20% Don't mind. Not well known in the US.
18. Chorus Kids - 30% Want. Potential development was done.
19. Pichu -20% Don't mind. Not likely coming back.
20. Sceptile - 10%. Don't want. Very limited support.
21. Shantae - 25% Don't want, has support in the West, somewhat unknown in Japan. Her and Shovel Know are the opposites of Arle Nadja and Jibyanyan. She would only get in if Sakurai wants to throw a bone to the West.
22. Henry Fleming - 2% Don't want S.T.E.A.M is a F.A.I.L.U.R.E. The game is over half off on Amazon.co.jp.
23. Banjo Kazooie - 15% Don't mind copyright issues.
24. Quote - 1% Don't want Less popular + indie.
25. Magolor - 15% Want only popular in Japan. Waddle Dee has the same level of support IMO in Japan.
26. Ridley - 5% not with his current design.
27. Shovel Knight - 25% Don't want. Read Shantae.
28. Midna & Wolf Link - 2% Want. Midna as an AT makes this unlikelly.
30. Phoenix Wright - 15% Want. Other iconic 3rd party characters exist.
31. Lip -10% Don't mind.
32. Daisy - 15% Don't want/ Don't mind. Hiiii I'm Daisy.
33. Ninten- 1% Don't want. Lucas and Ness fill up the Earthbound quota nicely.
34. Geno- 0.00000000001% Don't want. Who is this guy anyway? :p
35. Spyro- 17% Don't want. Would they use the Skylander form?
36. Mach Rider- 5% want. as a ballot? No chance.
37. Toon Zelda- 1% Want. As a ballot? No chance.
38. Young Link- 0.00000001% Don't want Toon Link replaced him.
39. Dark Samus- 2% Want. AT?
40. Bayonetta- 9% Don't mind. Don't think she'll get in due to "adult issues"
41. Takamaru- 0% Want. He's an AT. No way as a ballot.
42. Slippy- 3% Don't want. He's not getting in through the ballot.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Do you have a lot of tabs open? That's what usually slows down the site for me.
Only got one other window open. :s And it worked with multiple open some time ago, but now it all works super slow on SmashBoards.

I feel it is somehow Blue's fault, but I can't be sure.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Sakurai may not have directly said it, but does that mean Chrom was originally planned to be a part of the initial roster?
I'm still investigating this, hope to have an answer in the near future.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well, we have some interesting months of speculation ahead, that's for sure.

So many unpredictable factors are in play, I'm sure the next DLC will surprise us all.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Wrote up something on Sylux's chances in a future Smash Bros.;

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-what-metroid-primes-producer-wants-in-the-next-sequel

We asked Tanabe if Metroid Prime Federation Force is the only Metroid Prime game he's working on. "I said this at the beginning, but I’m not involved in the 2D Metroid games that [Yoshio] Sakamoto works on," Tanabe said. "I still feel like there's a little more work left for me to do in the Metroid Prime series. I can’t say when, but I want to make another one.

Tanabe reminded us about the ending of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. After Samus’s ship flies off into the distance, another ship suddenly appears. He said that players Metroid Prime Hunters should recognize that the ship belongs to a bounty hunter called Sylux. "He’s actually chasing after Samus, and that’s where that game ends," Tanabe said. "There’s still more I want to build around the story of Sylux and Samus. There’s something going on between them. I want to make a game that touches upon [it]."

"I’m also thinking that, in that eventual game between Sylux and Samus that might get made, that I wants to involve the [Galactic] Federation as well," he said. "So it would be a good idea to release a game like Federation Forces to flesh out its role in the galaxy before moving on to that.

From this, I get the impression that the next true Metroid Prime game involving Samus will most likely heavily involve Sylux. By the time we get a new Smash, it will have been well over a decade since the release of Hunters, which means Sylux will have been around a pretty long time. With potential renewed relevance and fans clamoring for another Metroid rep, it seems increasingly likely that Sylux will be route Sakurai takes.

Reminder that Sakurai stated this about Ridley;

“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer,” Sakurai told IGN in an email interview. “It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”

(http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/19/why-ridley-isnt-playable-in-smash-bros)

...Meaning that Ridley seems unlikely at this point in time. I know he said Villager was something he couldn't do post Brawl, but it's worth mentioning that he also said Ridley wasn't exactly doable in 2008:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-/55775695 (From Chronobound/Snakey...)

This means that Sakurai's views on Ridley didn't seem to change for many, many years. I find it unlikely that Ridley will ever be playable as long as Sakurai remains director of the series or at least has the most influence in deciding the roster.

Dark Samus is another story, but she died in Metroid Prime 3. We have two Marios (with the potential for a third in the future via Paper Mario) and we have two Links, so I don't necessarily think that two similar-looking Power Suit Samus characters are strictly unlikely. However, Dark Samus is irrelevant within her own series at this point. Sylux has better move set potential and is more likely to remain relevant.

My verdict: Prepare for Ridley vs. Sylux wars in 20XX with Sylux being far more likely.

D

Deleted member

Sylux is not happening, it's literally the same thing with every other Metroid char, relevant in one game, dead in the rest with the exception of Ridley, Mother Brain and D. Samus, but they suffer from other issues

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Sylux is not happening, it's literally the same thing with every other Metroid char, relevant in one game, dead in the rest with the exception of Ridley, Mother Brain and D. Samus, but they suffer from other issues
...But Sylux is alive, and seems to have a good amount of potential to be in future Metroid title(s).

-Other M characters were probably trashbinned for how unpopular the game is.
-Ridley is probably never getting in.
-Dark Samus is dead and probably not making future appearances.

I'm not saying he's exceedingly likely, but he's probably going to end up being more likely than anybody else in the Metroidverse to be a rep.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Sylux has little-to-no chance of being DLC in Smash 4. He's one of the only choices left for a playable Metroid character that would work aside from one of the humans from Other M (which would not go over well at all. I think even the least hated of the group, Anthony Higgs, would result in angered fans. And I think an Adam Malkovich trailer might end up getting as large a Dislike percentage on Youtube as Federation Force did) now that both Ridley and Dark Samus are out of the equation, but the problem is that he's neither popular nor highly requested.

However, that's likely to change by the time the next Smash rolls around, since we've been told outright that he's going to have a major role in future Metroid games. I think he'll be a frontrunner as far as newcomer candidates go for Smash 5 (or 6 if you're among those that count SSB4U as Smash 5. :p). Obviously he'll have Ridley to contend with, since his support base is as undying as the space dragon himself is, but the boost Sylux will receive between then and now is likely to be massive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Couple things wrong here.
a. Sylux isn't dead. At least not yet.
b. He was teased to return at the end of Prime 3, and the director of the Prime trilogy revealed that he wants to make a game that focuses on the connection between Samus and Sylux after Federation Force.
c. Mother Brain and Dark Samus are dead.
d. Ridley is also technically dead. Though he can be brought back through outside means if Other M's cloning mishap is anything to go by.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As I've said before, I think the ideal Metroid roster is Samus/ZSS, Ridley, and Dark Samus. That gets all the important characters.
Mother Brain can stay an Assist Trophy, and Kraid and Sylux could join her.

D

Deleted member

With "dead" I meant "Doesn't appear in any other games" AKA dead to the franchise

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
With "dead" I meant "Doesn't appear in any other games" AKA dead to the franchise
b. He was teased to return at the end of Prime 3, and the director of the Prime trilogy revealed that he wants to make a game that focuses on the connection between Samus and Sylux after Federation Force.
Yuiitusin 1
Zoroarking 0

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Then my first three points are still valid.
Sylux is going to appear in the future, Mother Brain and Dark Samus are not.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Wrote up something on Sylux's chances in a future Smash Bros.;

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/17/e3-2015-what-metroid-primes-producer-wants-in-the-next-sequel

We asked Tanabe if Metroid Prime Federation Force is the only Metroid Prime game he's working on. "I said this at the beginning, but I’m not involved in the 2D Metroid games that [Yoshio] Sakamoto works on," Tanabe said. "I still feel like there's a little more work left for me to do in the Metroid Prime series. I can’t say when, but I want to make another one.

Tanabe reminded us about the ending of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. After Samus’s ship flies off into the distance, another ship suddenly appears. He said that players Metroid Prime Hunters should recognize that the ship belongs to a bounty hunter called Sylux. "He’s actually chasing after Samus, and that’s where that game ends," Tanabe said. "There’s still more I want to build around the story of Sylux and Samus. There’s something going on between them. I want to make a game that touches upon [it]."

"I’m also thinking that, in that eventual game between Sylux and Samus that might get made, that I wants to involve the [Galactic] Federation as well," he said. "So it would be a good idea to release a game like Federation Forces to flesh out its role in the galaxy before moving on to that.

From this, I get the impression that the next true Metroid Prime game involving Samus will most likely heavily involve Sylux. By the time we get a new Smash, it will have been well over a decade since the release of Hunters, which means Sylux will have been around a pretty long time. With potential renewed relevance and fans clamoring for another Metroid rep, it seems increasingly likely that Sylux will be route Sakurai takes.

Reminder that Sakurai stated this about Ridley;

“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer,” Sakurai told IGN in an email interview. “It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”

“Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”

(http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/19/why-ridley-isnt-playable-in-smash-bros)

...Meaning that Ridley seems unlikely at this point in time. I know he said Villager was something he couldn't do post Brawl, but it's worth mentioning that he also said Ridley wasn't exactly doable in 2008:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/928518-/55775695 (From Chronobound/Snakey...)

This means that Sakurai's views on Ridley didn't seem to change for many, many years. I find it unlikely that Ridley will ever be playable as long as Sakurai remains director of the series or at least has the most influence in deciding the roster.

Dark Samus is another story, but she died in Metroid Prime 3. We have two Marios (with the potential for a third in the future via Paper Mario) and we have two Links, so I don't necessarily think that two similar-looking Power Suit Samus characters are strictly unlikely. However, Dark Samus is irrelevant within her own series at this point. Sylux has better move set potential and is more likely to remain relevant.

My verdict: Prepare for Ridley vs. Sylux wars in 20XX with Sylux being far more likely.
Let's be honest here.

There's going to be a Ridley s Sylux debate no matter what, if the next Prime game comes, and Sylux is important to that game. There will always be a debate of x vs x. You all know if Daisy doesn't make it as DLC prepare for another round of Daisy vs Waluigi next Smash over who should be the Mario sports rep. There will probably be a Impa vs Tingle debate, as long as Impa is in Zelda Wii U. There's probably going to be a debate on who the retro rep is next as well. We may even see an argument as to who the grass starter will be, if we don't see one as DLC, that is if they decide to do the neat little thing of adding a starter of each type next game.

The Ridley vs Sylux debate next Smash is probably going to get very heated and childish for the next Smash

Last edited:

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122

Characters-
1. Wolf - 60%, Want

5. Dixie - 50%, Want

The Good: Highly requested, already has a moveset thanks to his veteran status, was intended to be in the base game but was cut due to hardware issues and their low priority.

11. Snake - 4%, Want

16. Tetra - 5%, Want
17. Ray - 5%, Don't Want
19. Pichu - 20%, Want
20. Sceptile - 4%, Want
24. Quote - 1%, Want
26. Ridley - 0%, Want
31. Lip - 5%, Don't Want

34. Geno- 0%, Don't Want

35. Spyro- 8%, Want

42. Slippy- 6%, Want
glad to see isaac on the list. i'm really surprised wolf wasn't even considered by sakurai. i though wolf had a huge fan base. or did it die down somehow?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your last point (cloning shenanigans) kinda says that any Metroid character has a chance of coming back :p
Not exactly.

There was reason why Ridley came back; bits of his tissue ended up on Samus' suit along with the tissue of the Hatchling that the Bottle Ship scientists used to clone new Metroids. They accidentally created another Ridley as well.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
glad to see isaac on the list. i'm really surprised wolf wasn't even considered by sakurai. i though wolf had a huge fan base. or did it die down somehow?
Wolf is still highly requested.

I think DLC Wave 2 was supposed to include one cut Brawl veteran and one cut Melee veteran judging from the comments made on the New Content stream.

Lucas was just as requested (if not moreso) than Wolf, and was a higher priority character in Brawl judging from Lucas' role in SSE and their positions in the instance slots (I know priority changes and all, but I feel it's still valid evidence).

I don't think Wolf was never considered; I'm sure he probably was. They just went with Lucas.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Heh, oh Dabuz. You got embarrassed at APEX by him
image.jpg

Let's be honest here.

There's going to be a Ridley s Sylux debate no matter what, if the next Prime game comes, and Sylux is important to that game. There will always be a debate of x vs x. You all know if Daisy doesn't make it as DLC prepare for another round of Daisy vs Waluigi next Smash over who should be the Mario sports rep. There will probably be a Impa vs Tingle debate, as long as Impa is in Zelda Wii U. There's probably going to be a debate on who the retro rep is next as well. We may even see an argument as to who the grass starter will be, if we don't see one as DLC, that is if they decide to do the neat little thing of adding a starter of each type next game.

The Ridley vs Sylux debate next Smash is probably going to get very heated and stupid next Smash as well.
That's because Metroid series suffers from the biggest problem of every character, villain or enemy (including Ridley as well) has very little impact towards the plot or series and the games have will always be about :4samus:.

The series always had isolation where you're just going around exploring the world by yourself and most of its world building comes from notes than cutscenes or rarely has that influence. Ridley is the only one because he killed :4samus: parents but after that he just screeching dragon who won't stay dead and has more clones and extra forms than Melee.

There's a reason why the series only has two reps :4samus::4zss:. It's because no one is relevant after Samus and is barely a footnote in the series and it's not anybody's fault.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I'm still investigating this, hope to have an answer in the near future.
Sweet. Hopefully we can learn more about Smash 4's developmental history. Also, one more quick question. Going through your translations, has Sakurai commented on any type of leak that happened with Smash before?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Not exactly.

There was reason why Ridley came back; bits of his tissue ended up on Samus' suit along with the tissue of the Hatchling that the Bottle Ship scientists used to clone new Metroids. They accidentally created another Ridley as well.
Well, they came up with a reason why Ridley came back. But even that one is kind of contrived, which means that...if they really wanted to bring back any theoretically dead character, they might be willing to do so. I doubt Dark Samus just because with Phazon being gone I don't think that's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another Mother Brain appearance, given how iconic she is within the Metroid franchise.

I'm not saying any of that is likely, just that in theory it's still possible if it's something they want to do.

Not that I really want to see any writing trends from Other M ever continued in the series, but...

D

Deleted member

Well, they came up with a reason why Ridley came back. But even that one is kind of contrived, which means that...if they really wanted to bring back any theoretically dead character, they might be willing to do so. I doubt Dark Samus just because with Phazon being gone I don't think that's possible, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another Mother Brain appearance, given how iconic she is within the Metroid franchise.

I'm not saying any of that is likely, just that in theory it's still possible if it's something they want to do.

Not that I really want to see any writing trends from Other M ever continued in the series, but...
The closest thing we got to Mother Brain returning, the android Melissa Bergman, has already been disposed of.
And the ones that created her, if not already dead, wouldn't have any reason to actually recreate Mother Brain (nor have the legitimate capability, considering Mother Brain was constructed by the now-extinct scientifically advanced Chozo), meaning it's a hard sell for Mother Brain to actually return.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
RTC predictions
I like how you're sticking with your (not unwarranted) stance on two post-ballot characters being the most-likely, yet the chances here sum up to 500%. :smirk:

At any rate,
Characters-
1. Wolf - 75%, Ambivalent
Far and away the most likely DLC character, ballot or otherwise, IMO.
3. King K. Rool - 25%, Want
I'd say he and Dixie combined have about as good a shot, not really sure who's the more likely.
4. Isaac - 25%, Don't Want
5. Dixie - 25%, Want
6. Inklings - 25%, Ambivalent
7. Bandanna Dee - 25%, Want
Technical issues confirmed to have already been an issue.
9. Captain Toad - 20%, Want
I've come to see the potential of his moveset, but I don't know that the demand is sufficient.
10. Rayman - 10%, Ambivalent
Probably the likeliest 3rd Party newcomer.
11. Snake - 5%, Don't Want
12. Wonder Red - 5%, Don't Want
13. Impa - 3%, Don't Want
15. Paper Mario - 15%, Want
Similar to C.Toad, I know he's definitely got a ton of potential, but I don't know if there's sufficient demand, and on top of that, I'm not convinced Sakurai would recognize him as a separate character from Mario (not that's stopped him before, though Doc's were very different circumstances).
16. Tetra - 5%, Want
17. Ray - ?%, Don't Want
19. Pichu (+other vets) - 30%, Want
I'd say all in all the chances of another Pokémon rep aren't abysmal, but I'm not holding out hope for one in particular. I'd personally like to see any the veterans, or newcomers with a similar playstyle to Pichu or Squirtle.
20. Sceptile - 3%, Don't Want
21. Shantae - 3%, Don't Want
22. Henry Fleming - 0%, Don't Want
23. Banjo Kazooie - 3%, Ambivalent
24. Quote - 0%, Ambivalent
25. Magolor - 5%, Ambivalent
26. Ridley - 0%, Don't Want
27. Shovel Knight - 1%, Don't Want
28. Midna & Wolf Link - 0%, Don't Want
30. Phoenix Wright - 0%, Don't Want
31. Lip - 0%, Don't Want
32. Daisy - 10%, Don't Want
Would love to see a sports-themed rep in a future SSB, but Waluigi seems a better fit. In either case, I'd sooner see either/both of the aforementioned Mario reps.
33. Ninten- 1%, Don't Want
Better choices, and the series is fine as it stands.
34. Geno- 0%, Don't Want
35. Spyro- 3%, Ambivalent
36. Mach Rider- 3%, Ambivalent
37. Toon Zelda- 3%, Don't Want
38. Young Link- 5%, Don't Want
40. Bayonetta- 0%, Don't Want
41. Takamaru- 0%, Ambivalent
42. Slippy- 3%, Don't Want

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.