• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
How would you react to this?:

(Not a prediction roster by the way)
Wouldn't care to much(even though bayonetta and shovel knight should be far,far,far away from smash roster).14 DLC characters seems like it's pushing it 5 of them being 3rd party doesn't help either.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I might write a full blown article, but here's my thoughts about the lack of attribution to Source Gaming. Not looking for sympathy, but if you guys have any suggestions on how to fix the issue let me know. I'm somewhat venting, so feel free to ignore me :p

Basically, we are the quiet, funny kid in class and other people are the loud, popular kids who are taking all of our jokes.

From the reddit post
I'm mostly disappointed with the "news" blogs that picked it up without bothering to do basic fact checking. Tamaki is a reliable source of information, no doubt about that. For all they know, Sakurai could have said, "lol, jk I love Ghostly Adventures" in the very next line. All they had to do was search for the quote on Google, in order to bring up our blog.

I'm also frustrated with the lack of credit. We at Source Gaming have been behind a TON of Smash news over the last year. We are probably the most famous Smash site in existence that most people simply don't realize. A lot of it was me personally, but I had a lot of help, so I can't really take all of the credit.

-translated a bunch of tips from the Smash 3DS demo.

-The method to Sakurai's stage order and character order (pre-DLC)

-Organized a translation effort for the 3DS sounds, confirming Smash Tour was a board game.

-Provided a ton of information about Custom Moves and Equipment when the 3DS version came out.

-Pointing out the stage DLC text from Kaphotics 3DS text dumps, finding unused graphics was us.

-Most of the information from the Wii U data dumps came from us. I'd say 70% of it. Including Rhythm Heaven, diary and Brainage emblem references, and the Virus character reference.

-Translations of all the new Famitsu articles + going back and translating older ones. We are finding out new information all the time.

-Unused character list. Working on translating it into Japanese + updating the information.

-Additional development information on ALL of the Smash games.

-Biggest Smash Poll pre-DLC announcement. Was translated into 5 languages, had 3,500 responses.

-Provided the most accurate and in-depth information about shinyquagsire23's 3DS finding.

-Compiled the unused songs list (pre-Miiverse release). That list is going to help you guys with Custom Music that soneek is working on.

-Provided the tips/trophy text pre-Ryu/Roy/Lucas release. Confirming that Ryu would have special inputs.

-Pointed out that everyone was wrong about the Villager having an Ice Climbers chant. People misheard the Japanese.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I might write a full blown article, but here's my thoughts about the lack of attribution to Source Gaming. Not looking for sympathy, but if you guys have any suggestions on how to fix the issue let me know. I'm somewhat venting, so feel free to ignore me :p

Basically, we are the quiet, funny kid in class and other people are the loud, popular kids who are taking all of our jokes.

From the reddit post
I'm mostly disappointed with the "news" blogs that picked it up without bothering to do basic fact checking. Tamaki is a reliable source of information, no doubt about that. For all they know, Sakurai could have said, "lol, jk I love Ghostly Adventures" in the very next line. All they had to do was search for the quote on Google, in order to bring up our blog.

I'm also frustrated with the lack of credit. We at Source Gaming have been behind a TON of Smash news over the last year. We are probably the most famous Smash site in existence that most people simply don't realize. A lot of it was me personally, but I had a lot of help, so I can't really take all of the credit.

-translated a bunch of tips from the Smash 3DS demo.

-The method to Sakurai's stage order and character order (pre-DLC)

-Organized a translation effort for the 3DS sounds, confirming Smash Tour was a board game.

-Provided a ton of information about Custom Moves and Equipment when the 3DS version came out.

-Pointing out the stage DLC text from Kaphotics 3DS text dumps, finding unused graphics was us.

-Most of the information from the Wii U data dumps came from us. I'd say 70% of it. Including Rhythm Heaven, diary and Brainage emblem references, and the Virus character reference.

-Translations of all the new Famitsu articles + going back and translating older ones. We are finding out new information all the time.

-Unused character list. Working on translating it into Japanese + updating the information.

-Additional development information on ALL of the Smash games.

-Biggest Smash Poll pre-DLC announcement. Was translated into 5 languages, had 3,500 responses.

-Provided the most accurate and in-depth information about shinyquagsire23's 3DS finding.

-Compiled the unused songs list (pre-Miiverse release). That list is going to help you guys with Custom Music that soneek is working on.

-Provided the tips/trophy text pre-Ryu/Roy/Lucas release. Confirming that Ryu would have special inputs.

-Pointed out that everyone was wrong about the Villager having an Ice Climbers chant. People misheard the Japanese.
Did GoNintendo ever reply to you?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

With Rayman and Snake, I just can't complain about anything else. Maybe a tiny bit about Shovel Knight not being Shantae.

King K. Rool and Dixie make it even better, as do Inklings.

But I have no idea how the Chorus Men would get in but not the Ice Climbers, a trio would be even worse on the 3DS.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

More work on the custom music front by soneek!
Everyday that passes is a day I get closer to having Castle Dracula and Magicant (w/out Flying Men) as stages on the Wii U.

Number one, I'd be pleasantly surprised by the number and would be pretty happy over all. The roster hits most of the important bases although there are a couple of questionable decisions. The first party selection is decent, although Chorus Men seems strange. Marshal would be a better choice, in my opinion, seeing as a trio mechanic likely won't be possible. Inkling is cool, Wolf is back, and DK has two additional reps. The only thing that would be a bit of a disappointment is no Isaac, but he is far from a guarantee so it's not like I expect him.

Third party selection is WAY more of a mixed bag. Rayman and Snake are awesome and I would be legitimately excited for them. Layton is more of a "maybe" candidate as I'm big on legacy and his franchise doesn't have the history some others do. Still, Level 5 is an important company for Nintendo and Layton has proven that he has staying and selling power. Shovel Knight and Bayonetta, in my opinion, don't have any place in Smash. They are "flavor of the month" choices... if they have sustained popularity going into Smash 5 I would be very surprised. I don't have any issue with them getting in, per se, as I'm sure their move sets would be interesting and I'm happy enough to have any newcomers at this point. I just think that there are much better choices out there.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

Needs a certain Dreamworks rep if you know what I mean :troll:.
Otherwise, I'd be fine with the roster. It seems to have a unique cast of characters and Sakurai is known for expressing their traits very well. I also wouldn't mind other 3rd Party characters as long as they blend in well with the Nintendo universe.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
wait, they started that?

Because I did saw cropped stuff on that site....
It was Tamaki (Unseen 64 fame) that originally posted it on Twitter. They used him as the source, without bothering to look for the full interview/ translation.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace

Swap out Shovel Knight for Shantae and I'd be fine with this. Only because Shantae has "earned" the right more then Shovel Knight has. Note that earned is in quotation marks for folks who would argue otherwise. But she has been on Nintendo systems first and since the Gamy Boy Color, indie before indie was "cool".

Though I'd admit that the only people I see as unlikely (though I'd be happy if they were in) is Snake (lolKonami), Bayonetta (Nintendo and it's kid friendly image), and Layton (because... well hell. I'd be like really? I don't mind but odd man out be damned.)

That aside, if this is who we'd get I wouldn't mind and would probably pay for them all.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Just saying, DLC is rated separately from the main game. Bayonetta could get in, it just means Nintendo wouldn't be able to make an "Ultimate Super Smash Bros 4" with all the DLC in it.

Also, after playing about halfway through Majora's Mask, I fully support Young Link returning, at the very least he'd be fixed like Roy, where he has unique moves.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Would have to take a minute and think about how Shovel Knight and Bayonetta got in before Paper Mario
.....oops.....

You jsut made me think of something.....the pic in you sig will get outdated eventually.....I am in the process of discussing the change of the slogan.....this means your image in the sig....would not be updated....

And also.....

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 likes you even more now :p
not really.....it;s like you compare 2 very unlikely third party to a decent chance first party....

It;s like.....logic....

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
not really.....it's like you compare 2 very unlikely third party to a decent chance first party....

It's like.....logic....
Good point, but as much as it would be hype to see some Paper Mario love in Smash, it'd be nice to see some characters from series that have little to no representation, such as Chibi-Robo (new game coming next year, iirc) and Golden Sun.

Strangely, both of the series I mentionned got less representation than they had in Brawl.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I've been wanting to redo the CSS for a while and I came to the conclusion that this is the best option

image.jpg

Order of release

Also new AZ comic
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom