• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Opa Opa? Loved it in Sonic Sega Allstars, upset it got cut
Opa Opa was a great addition.
It's a shame that the following got the boot and didn't get DLC treatment.
Billy hatcher, Jacky and Akira, The chu chu's, zobio and zobiko and Bonanza Brothers.
And Big.
I miss Big :(

What sega character is bigger than sonic,tails,knuckles,amy and eggman?
This answers itself.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
None, which means there shouldn't be a second Sega rep. Sega is 3rd party. They're freaking guests and a franchise from a guest selection should get one playable character otherwise that's being very unfair to other 3rd party companies entirely. At least Ryu is a different series rep, so it's not a big deal.

Khoru

Smash Champion
To me, Mogenar doesn't do much damage and is predictable. He just doesn't know when to ****ing die.
Was the infant that bug who would soak hits and run away just before fitting Dark Samus?
yeah.
yeah i know they appeared in more games but what they need is their own franchise or game knukles got his own game and franchise but it was just like 3 there are other SEGA characters who has a bigger franchise than knukles
there's no "one per series" rule with third party characters

Khoru

Smash Champion
I didn't check,.I'll have too look into it.
I still would have liked to use the gamepad, though.
to be fair, the MPT eshop release is just an .iso or whatever of the original game that lets you bypass going into wii mode
it's totally unaltered. they didn't even do anything with the online feature that they shut down like a year and a half before the rerelease

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
to be fair, the MPT eshop release is just an .iso or whatever of the original game that lets you bypass going into wii mode
it's totally unaltered. they didn't even do anything with the online feature that they shut down like a year and a half before the rerelease
Ah makes sense.
Wish they had at least implemented classic controller support back when they released the collection. But oh well.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
A 2nd Sonic character over another SEGA mascot hmmmm... This is not a good idea it's like picking zero instead of ryu for a 2nd capcom rep
Actually the two cases are VERY different.

SEGA's big meal ticket is Sonic, all of the other top SEGA franchises absolutely pale in comparison to it. They have some other franchises that are important to SEGA themselves, like Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Golden Axe, NiGHTS, Samba De Amigo, Monkey Ball and Streets of Rage but none of these franchises are iconic to gaming as a whole, and especially not to Nintendo. All of SEGA's eggs are in the Sonic basket. Eggman is a VERY iconic villain, one of the most iconic villains of all time, and Tails is like THE sidekick. He's Luigi.

Conversely, Capcom has at least 3 very, very iconic franchises, each with a very clear mascot. Mega Man and Ryu, and then Leon (as well as Chris and Jill) for Resident Evil.

Mega Man and Ryu are more iconic than any of the other characters that aren't Mega Man or Ryu in their respective franchises. Protoman doesn't hold a candle to Ryu, and Guile doesn't hold a candle to Mega Man.

I'm going to contract you out whenever you have some free time to draw up icons for the Konami cross over roster I proposed a while back, lol.
I already got Snake and Bomberman done!
None, which means there shouldn't be a second Sega rep. Sega is 3rd party. They're freaking guests and a franchise from a guest selection should get one playable character otherwise that's being very unfair to other 3rd party companies entirely. At least Ryu is a different series rep, so it's not a big deal.
You could easily argue that Sonic is a much bigger franchise than Street Fighter or Mega Man, and is so intimately linked with Mario itself that it could get more than one character.

There's no such thing as "unfairness" when it comes to 3rd Party representation. Capcom have more franchises that have made a bigger impact than SEGA or Namco, but the one franchise that SEGA has that made an impact made a bigger one than the Capcom ones.

D

Deleted member

The problem with SEGA is that it doesn't have any franchises other than Sonic that are as popular and iconic like Capcom to warrant more reps.
Ryu getting in doesn't suddenly help other Namco and SEGA characters getting in.
The Sonic secondary characters don't bring anything new and aren't important to Nintendo's history.
The Namco characters I see most support are Lloyd, who is Shulk level of recognition before Smash and Klonoa(which I don't have much knowledge about to judge the character)
Ryu got in because he is a fighting game icon and had the potential to be very unique solely because he's already from a fighting game.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The problem with SEGA is that it doesn't have any franchises other than Sonic that are as popular and iconic like Capcom to warrant more reps.
Ryu getting in doesn't suddenly help other Namco and SEGA characters getting in.
The Sonic secondary characters don't bring anything new and aren't important to Nintendo's history.
The Namco characters I see most support are Lloyd, who is Shulk level of recognition before Smash and Klonoa(which I don't have much knowledge about to judge the character)
Ryu got in because he is a fighting game icon and had the potential to be very unique solely because he's already from a fighting game.
I don't even care that much to have Tails in (partly because his flight gimmick could make Dixie less likely), but I don't have any qualms about accepting that he is 100% iconic enough to be in Smash Bros. Tails is very possibly the most iconic sidekick of all time, he was also a pioneer of multiplayer gaming. Sonic and Tails are in many ways a duo. It's a very different situation to Street Fighter or Mega Man having other characters.

Having Sonic and Tails vs. Mario and Luigi would be enormous.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I love the game but some decisions are weird. YOu spend about 5 minutes in magmoor before leaving after being there the FIRST time. You had back to your ship after just entering phendrana to get double jump to go BACK to phendrana. . .etc.
Unless of course you scan dash and get the Space Jump as the first item of the game :p

Which, granted, you can't do in later releases of the game. I still don't know why they'd remove a non-obvious exploit that only hardcore fans that enjoy the game enough as it is are going to do anyway, particularly since sequence-breaking has always been a really fun thing about the Metroid series.

K, just played a bit of metroid prime. While the accuracy is pretty decent with thr wiimote, I am not fond of it. Wish I could use the gamepad.
While I'm not sure how I'd feel about the gamepad with the MP games (though it'd probably work just as well as the GC controller) I have to agree that I'm not fond of the Wiimote. People always talked about how painful GameCube controls were for the first two titles originally and how great it was that Prime 3 got the Wiimote controls, but tbh the GameCube controls always worked best for me. I even got Prime Trilogy (as in the physical thing that you can no longer find) on release and still haven't actually played it because every time I feel tempted to, I just think about how much I'd rather just use the GameCube controller for the first two games. I'll probably fix that on my upcoming playthrough of the trilogy, though, because at some point I should make use of it, even if it's nice enough just to have as a collector's item for a Metroid fan.

No nights is genderless i just think "it" is a girl
That makes no sense. If someone is genderless, that kind of means they're not a girl.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Here's the list from before, by the way. If anyone has any feedback, let me know... I think it's a pretty comprehensive list myself. I want to do Capcom vs. Konami now, lol. I think I'm going to put a SEGA cross over fighter list together later for fun as well.

1. Alucard - Castlevania
2. Death - Castlevania
3. Simon Belmont - Castlevania
4. Shanoa - Castlevania
5. Solid Snake - Metal Gear
6. Raiden - Metal Gear
7. Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear
8. Bill Rizer - Contra
9. Frogger - Frogger
10. Goemon - Legend of the Mystical Ninja Goemon
11. Konami Man - Various
12. Pyramid Head - Silent Hill
13. Sparkster - Rocket Knight
14. Tir McDohl - Suikoden
15. Twinbee - Twinbee
16. Moaia - Gradius
17. White Bomberman - Bomberman
18. Yugo - Bloody Roar
19. Alice - Bloody Roar
20. Gado - Bloody Roar
21. Power Pro-kun - Power Pro '94
22. Master Higgins - Adventure Island
23. Momotarō - Momotaro Densetsu
24. Bonk - Bonk's Adventure
25. Zonk - Air Zonk
26. Claymore - Vandall Hearts
27. Jazeta - Neutopia
28. Leo Stenbuck - Zone of Enders

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You could easily argue that Sonic is a much bigger franchise than Street Fighter or Mega Man, and is so intimately linked with Mario itself that it could get more than one character.
They're still guests and deserve zero special treatment. Sonic already has tons of 3rd party content with multiple songs, trophies, stickers(in Brawl) and more than one stage(Only pac-Man got two as well). MegaMan doesn't even have that much in comparison. Nor does Ryu. Sonic is perfectly repped at this point and time.

There's no such thing as "unfairness" when it comes to 3rd Party representation. Capcom have more franchises that have made a bigger impact than SEGA or Namco, but the one franchise that SEGA has that made an impact made a bigger one than the Capcom ones.
What a load of crap. They're still guests and need to be treated like ones. Absolutely zero Sonic characters besides himself is important enough as well. They're neither iconic enough or key stars in games. The only ones that stars in their own games are Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow. Eggman has zero chance. Shadow is an Assist Trophy. And Tails is not very important overall to be worthy for anything beyond an Assist Trophy itself.

Capcom getting two characters mans nothing. it just means another franchise earned it. you have to remember that Sakurai does not like giving franchises special treatment, especially 3rd party ones. he added in Pac-Man because he could use his old design. That means if he couldn't, the guy wouldn't show up at all. That's very important too, since he has a view of how he treats them. he doesn't like overreping franchises, despite being fairly terrible at this in practice.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Unless of course you scan dash and get the Space Jump as the first item of the game :p

Which, granted, you can't do in later releases of the game. I still don't know why they'd remove a non-obvious exploit that only hardcore fans that enjoy the game enough as it is are going to do anyway, particularly since sequence-breaking has always been a really fun thing about the Metroid series.

While I'm not sure how I'd feel about the gamepad with the MP games (though it'd probably work just as well as the GC controller) I have to agree that I'm not fond of the Wiimote. People always talked about how painful GameCube controls were for the first two titles originally and how great it was that Prime 3 got the Wiimote controls, but tbh the GameCube controls always worked best for me. I even got Prime Trilogy (as in the physical thing that you can no longer find) on release and still haven't actually played it because every time I feel tempted to, I just think about how much I'd rather just use the GameCube controller for the first two games. I'll probably fix that on my upcoming playthrough of the trilogy, though, because at some point I should make use of it, even if it's nice enough just to have as a collector's item for a Metroid fan.

That makes no sense. If someone is genderless, that kind of means they're not a girl.
nights is genderless i just like to imagine she's a girl because design wise "it" looks like that.I know full will it makes so sense

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Actually the two cases are VERY different.

SEGA's big meal ticket is Sonic, all of the other top SEGA franchises absolutely pale in comparison to it. They have some other franchises that are important to SEGA themselves, like Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Golden Axe, NiGHTS, Samba De Amigo, Monkey Ball and Streets of Rage but none of these franchises are iconic to gaming as a whole, and especially not to Nintendo. All of SEGA's eggs are in the Sonic basket. Eggman is a VERY iconic villain, one of the most iconic villains of all time, and Tails is like THE sidekick. He's Luigi.

Conversely, Capcom has at least 3 very, very iconic franchises, each with a very clear mascot. Mega Man and Ryu, and then Leon (as well as Chris and Jill) for Resident Evil.

Mega Man and Ryu are more iconic than any of the other characters that aren't Mega Man or Ryu in their respective franchises. Protoman doesn't hold a candle to Ryu, and Guile doesn't hold a candle to Mega Man.

But the things is if we are going to get a 2nd sonic character the new gamers will think Sega is just about sonic and doesn't have any other franchises, a character from different franchise will show that SEGA has a lot of different franchises and how big is SEGA look at someone like Alex Kidd he could not just only represent another mascot but he also represent a whole console mascot wich some people did grow up with this console in the old generation

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
alex kidd wasnt really big

sure he was the mascot, but he didn't succeed quite well. he isnt the kind of gaming franchise that's really iconic.

sega doesnt really need a 2nd rep really

it kind of sucks though, I LOVE sega and so many of their franchises don't really seem to fit much criteria to get in smash

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
new gamers will think Sega is just about sonic and doesn't have any other franchises
That's SEGA's fault. Every IP they have, which one gets used? Almost exclusively Sonic. Sequels? They rename the IP or change the characters most of the time. Not that SEGA should have 2 characters, as Namco helped make the game, but if you're complaining about SEGA IP not getting recognition, SEGA is to blame

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Does anyone have any interest in writing for Source Gaming? I was speaking to @PushDustIn earlier, and we agreed that we need to beef up our writing staff. At the same time we are adamant in implementing more editorial control and mandates over articles. We feel that this is necessary in order to maintain a certain level of overall quality as the site grows. Due to this new mindset articles will be looked at and perhaps assigned on a case by case basis.

I don't mean to discourage any potential writers with that last piece of news. It's more of a case of outlining the purpose of an article and figuring out how it fits into the greater purpose of Source Gaming before it is written.

Please contact me if you're at all interested.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
alex kidd wasnt really big

sure he was the mascot, but he didn't succeed quite well. he isnt the kind of gaming franchise that's really iconic.

sega doesnt really need a 2nd rep really
I didn't say Alex Kidd was big
And I know he didn't succeed because the master system looks similar to NES but with less games but Alex Kidd games weren't bad if we are now living in the 80s

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
They're still guests and deserve zero special treatment. Sonic already has tons of 3rd party content with multiple songs, trophies, stickers(in Brawl) and more than one stage(Only pac-Man got two as well). MegaMan doesn't even have that much in comparison. Nor does Ryu. Sonic is perfectly repped at this point and time.

What a load of crap. They're still guests and need to be treated like ones. Absolutely zero Sonic characters besides himself is important enough as well. They're neither iconic enough or key stars in games. The only ones that stars in their own games are Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow. Eggman has zero chance. Shadow is an Assist Trophy. And Tails is not very important overall to be worthy for anything beyond an Assist Trophy itself.

Capcom getting two characters mans nothing. it just means another franchise earned it. you have to remember that Sakurai does not like giving franchises special treatment, especially 3rd party ones. he added in Pac-Man because he could use his old design. That means if he couldn't, the guy wouldn't show up at all. That's very important too, since he has a view of how he treats them. he doesn't like overreping franchises, despite being fairly terrible at this in practice.
I'm just going to say that I don't think you actually know how iconic and important to gaming Tails actually is if you think that any of this is true.

Here's the list from before, by the way. If anyone has any feedback, let me know... I think it's a pretty comprehensive list myself. I want to do Capcom vs. Konami now, lol. I think I'm going to put a SEGA cross over fighter list together later for fun as well.

1. Alucard - Castlevania
2. Death - Castlevania
3. Simon Belmont - Castlevania
4. Shanoa - Castlevania
5. Solid Snake - Metal Gear
6. Raiden - Metal Gear
7. Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear
8. Bill Rizer - Contra
9. Frogger - Frogger
10. Goemon - Legend of the Mystical Ninja Goemon
11. Konami Man - Various
12. Pyramid Head - Silent Hill
13. Sparkster - Rocket Knight
14. Tir McDohl - Suikoden
15. Twinbee - Twinbee
16. Moaia - Gradius
17. White Bomberman - Bomberman
18. Yugo - Bloody Roar
19. Alice - Bloody Roar
20. Gado - Bloody Roar
21. Power Pro-kun - Power Pro '94
22. Master Higgins - Adventure Island
23. Momotarō - Momotaro Densetsu
24. Bonk - Bonk's Adventure
25. Zonk - Air Zonk
26. Claymore - Vandall Hearts
27. Jazeta - Neutopia
28. Leo Stenbuck - Zone of Enders
Honestly I'm not huge on Konami games so I've never heard of a lot of these!

But the things is if we are going to get a 2nd sonic character the new gamers will think Sega is just about sonic and doesn't have any other franchises, a character from different franchise will show that SEGA has a lot of different franchises and how big is SEGA look at someone like Alex Kidd he could not just only represent another mascot but he also represent a whole console mascot wich some people did grow up with this console in the old generation
It's not about SEGA, it's about Nintendo. None of the other SEGA franchises are important to Nintendo. Tails deserves it on his own merit, no other SEGA franchise is iconic enough to warrent a position in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Oh, we're talking about secondary Sega characters?

There is only one right answer.
All other answers are wrong.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Does anyone have any interest in writing for Source Gaming? I was speaking to @PushDustIn earlier, and we agreed that we need to beef up our writing staff. At the same time we are adamant in implementing more editorial control and mandates over articles. We feel that this is necessary in order to maintain a certain level of overall quality as the site grows. Due to this new mindset articles will be looked at and perhaps assigned on a case by case basis.

I don't mean to discourage any potential writers with that last piece of news. It's more of a case of outlining the purpose of an article and figuring out how it fits into the greater purpose of Source Gaming before it is written.

Please contact me if you're at all interested.
I've never written any articles before but if you guys want someone who is passionate and uh, opinionated then I'd be willing to give it a go.
It's something I've always wanted to do.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's SEGA's fault. Every IP they have, which one gets used? Almost exclusively Sonic. Sequels? They rename the IP or change the characters most of the time. Not that SEGA should have 2 characters, as Namco helped make the game, but if you're complaining about SEGA IP not getting recognition, SEGA is to blame
Well, they don't have their own console anymore, so I can see why they did this. They still have Shining Force, but that's sadly inactive. Would be neat if they translated Feather...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I've never written any articles before but if you guys want someone who is passionate and uh, opinionated then I'd be willing to give it a go.
It's something I've always wanted to do.
Passion and a decent grasp of the English language are the two most important things to writing. I'll contact you via PM to see what sort of materiel you would be interested in writing.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No longer having a console isn't an issue. It's how pretty much every franchise outside of Sonic is inactive. When Sonic Sega allstars came out, which characters could you recognize? Ristar should also get a sequel imo
Well, they don't have their own console anymore, so I can see why they did this. They still have Shining Force, but that's sadly inactive. Would be neat if they translated Feather...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
No longer having a console isn't an issue. It's how pretty much every franchise outside of Sonic is inactive. When Sonic Sega allstars came out, which characters could you recognize? Ristar should also get a sequel imo
It kind of is. It's easier to get games onto your own console with franchises you own than to find a publisher for another console. In order for a franchise to be active, they need a publisher and often a developer(if you're not one of those). At least with your own console, you don't have to worry about them saying no because they don't want to work on the "Wii U", for instance(which as dumb as it is, it's a thing. Some companies won't work with weaker consoles). Basically, the less you have to do to get the game made and released, the better. Obviously quality is wanted but you get what I mean. It makes a difference overall, although not a severe one.

I recognized almost everyone in the All-Stars games.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It kind of is. It's easier to get games onto your own console with franchises you own than to find a publisher for another console. In order for a franchise to be active, they need a publisher and often a developer(if you're not one of those). At least with your own console, you don't have to worry about them saying no because they don't want to work on the "Wii U", for instance(which as dumb as it is, it's a thing. Some companies won't work with weaker consoles). Basically, the less you have to do to get the game made and released, the better. Obviously quality is wanted but you get what I mean. It makes a difference overall, although not a severe one.

I recognized almost everyone in the All-Stars games.
Actually, you reminded me of something. SEGA had their next Sonic games on the GC, and ed Nintendo systems iirc. Xbox got quite some love with SEGA IP. My problem with SEGA IP isn't even exclusive to after they stopped consoles too. I'll grab a video which explains the 'Nintendo vs Sega' mentality

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
On an unrelated note,:

I've just learned that the Wii and Wii U in Japan has the Virtual Console, and as far as the Wii goes, Metal Gear 1 and 2 are on it. No idea about the Wii U counterpart though, but it apparently has 16 MSX games.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Need more CEO.

I stayed up til three watching the Smash 4 doubles...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom