• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I wonder if the Wii U would sell better if they made a cheaper version with no GamePad like the Xbox One with Kinect...
Am I the only one that actually likes the GamePad? It's a great little device, and I really enjoy being able to half pay attention to the tv while playing, or getting some play time in while I'm in bed but not tired enough to sleep.

I'm really curious about how this will be handled with the NX. It really needs to be backwards compatible with the Wii U if it's coming out only 4-5 years after it. I would feel a bit cheated if it's not. (On a related note, all my Eshop purchases better transfer as well.) The thing is that that sort of backwards compatibility might A.) limit the architecture of the Wii U, in the same way that the Wii U CPU was limited due to the Wii backwards compatibility and B.) would require the new system to be compatible with a touch screen controller and wiimotes. If we are trading in or getting rid of our Wii Us, we can not just take the tablet controller and use it on our new NXs. Will the NX have an optional tablet controller that you can purchase? Will it come with a new, perhaps cheaper to produce, tablet controller?

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
How many big guns does Nintendo have left, though?

We've got Zelda on the way.
We've had both a 2D and a 3D Mario.
We had a new Donkey Kong Country.
We've had a new Smash Bros.
We've had a new Mario Kart.
We had a new Wario Ware.
We're getting a brand new Star Fox produced by Miyamoto himself.
We finally got Pikmin 3.
We've had interesting new additions to the Yoshi and Kirby series.
We also got a new hit IP in Splatoon and a continuation of the critical darling that is the Xeno Blade series.

We know for fact that a new Metroid game will NOT come out for the system, but might come out for the NX.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

So once again, what's left?

F-zero? Punch-out? Paper Mario? Kid Icarus? Some sort of retro revival? All would be awesome, but none are exactly system sellers. Nintendo usually does one big game in a franchise per console, and they already burned through most of their big names.
A proper Animal Crossing? I'd kill for a new Kid Icarus though.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
A proper Animal Crossing? I'd kill for a new Kid Icarus though.
I knew I forgot something! Yeah, there you go, Animal Crossing is a proper megaton title. I don't feel like it's the sort of game that moves consoles, though.

I really want both Punch-Out and Kid Icarus U. I would even accept an uprezzed Kid Icarus Uprising port with redone controls and multiplayer at this point.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Am I the only one that actually likes the GamePad? It's a great little device, and I really enjoy being able to half pay attention to the tv while playing, or getting some play time in while I'm in bed but not tired enough to sleep.
Probably not, but that wasn't what I was asking.
I personally can't stand the GamePad though. Not many big games really utilize it anyway so it just ends up being a huge block with a screen inside of it.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
New Kid Icarus isn't so likely with Sakurai working on Smash DLC.
It really doesn't have to be made by Sakurai, though. He is not the series creator and there are many ways for the franchise to continue without him. I would actually be okay with a new 2D installment of the game that builds off of "Of Myths and Monsters" while adding more Metroid-like exploration elements as well as continuing with the atmosphere of "Uprising." It's not like other Nintendo franchises (Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid) can't enjoy both 2D and 3D installments.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The Wii U is stacked with quality games.

Tropical Freeze
Smash
Mario Kart
Treasure Tracker
3D world
Pikmin 3
NSMB U/NSLU
Hyrule Warriors
Bayonetta/2
Splatoon
W101
Rayman Legends
Wind Waker HD
Arkham City

Arguably:
Mario Party 10
Kirby

Soon:
Star Fox
Mario Maker
Mario Tennis
Woolly World
Xenoblade
Zelda

I've got 1 game on my Xbox One that is exclusive. And it's ****ing terrible (Dead Rising 3).
I don't own or have much interest in the other consoles, that's not my point. I'm looking more at previous Nintendo consoles and the amount of enjoyment I've gotten out of them.

First of all, @ Kenith Kenith is right, putting Zelda on the "soon" list is kind of iffy, especially when half of my point falls on the fact that people are saying the NX is coming so soon that Wii U Zelda has been pushed back to it. We don't know when Zelda is coming, but I imagine it won't be earlier than holiday 2016 at this rate.

None of the games you've listed that I don't already have are big "I have to get that"s for me. Splatoon is something I ought to look into more, but particularly since I don't get the impression there's a ton of single-player content, I don't know that it's going to be something I'll pay full price for. Pikmin's a game that interests me, but I still haven't played through 1 and 2 enough to justify a purchase of 3. Mario's an all right series but honestly I've felt like this console has just been oversaturated with it compared to the appearances of other franchises, and even the main 3D title just hasn't shined like past ones.

Maybe the discontent with game content is just me personally, maybe part of it is just because I don't buy games as easily nowadays and need to really be convinced (or get a really good price) before I buy something, which I guess is my own problem, but as of now I'm not really feeling like the Wii U was the best investment for me.

We had a new Wario Ware.
We finally got Pikmin 3.
We also got a new hit IP in Splatoon and a continuation of the critical darling that is the Xeno Blade series.

We know for fact that a new Metroid game will NOT come out for the system, but might come out for the NX.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-next-proper-metroid-prime-would-likely-now-be-on-nx

F-zero? Punch-out? Paper Mario? Kid Icarus? Some sort of retro revival? All would be awesome, but none are exactly system sellers. Nintendo usually does one big game in a franchise per console, and they already burned through most of their big names.
Again with the Zelda, apparently we don't actually know we're getting one on the Wii U. And the fact that we're not getting a Metroid is a big part of my beef. Those are my two most-loved franchises (plus Pokemon) and, to be honest, the lack of those right now probably has a lot to do with my discontent.

As for what's left, there's Animal Crossing, there's Pokemon (I know we haven't seen a quality console Pokemon in a while, but I'd kill for another shadow Pokemon game, or to see a quality 3D battler a la Pokemon Stadium). Admittedly not a lot, but I don't think either one of those are outlandish. Maybe Amiibo Festival will turn out to be more than a Mario Party clone, but it's difficult to say what it is at the moment.

And I'm not talking about what the general public wants, I can't speak to that well and I'd be foolish to try to, I'm just talking about how I'm currently dissatisfied and what I would like to see. If that's just me, then, as I said, I guess that's my problem. But it doesn't decrease my bitterness about the fact that everyone seems to feel like Nintendo's ready to just give up and move on to another console. I actually like the Wii U as a console pretty well, I just wish I had more I could do with it.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
New Kid Icarus isn't so likely with Sakurai working on Smash DLC.
While I don't think another Kid Icarus is happening anytime soon.....

Sakurai didn't create the series, and doesn't own it, either. It's entirely possible they could make one without his involvement.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I'm really curious about how this will be handled with the NX. It really needs to be backwards compatible with the Wii U if it's coming out only 4-5 years after it. I would feel a bit cheated if it's not. (On a related note, all my Eshop purchases better transfer as well.) The thing is that that sort of backwards compatibility might A.) limit the architecture of the Wii U, in the same way that the Wii U CPU was limited due to the Wii backwards compatibility and B.) would require the new system to be compatible with a touch screen controller and wiimotes. If we are trading in or getting rid of our Wii Us, we can not just take the tablet controller and use it on our new NXs. Will the NX have an optional tablet controller that you can purchase? Will it come with a new, perhaps cheaper to produce, tablet controller?
I love the gamepad, Smash is the only thing I don't use it for. And if the option to use a GC controller wasn't there then I'd use the gamepad for sure.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9

We had a new Wario Ware.
We finally got Pikmin 3.

They delayed Zelda and then refused to show anything about it at the biggest gaming event of the year. Not even a piece of artwork like they did with Skyward Sword.
2D Mario annoyed people because of how many New Super Mario Bros. games came out around that time.
3D Mario was an expanded port on a 3DS game that sold well, and not a new, original take like Galaxy, Sunshine or even Mario 64 were.
Pikmin 3 was supposed to be out in "launch window" and got delayed (multiple times?).
Xenoblade has gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to promotion during big events, or almost anything at all.
We're getting an Animal Crossing game but people were expecting a full Wii U version of it, not a free-to-play amiibo-required party game.

Mario Kart and Smash boosted the Wii U in a way that Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Luigi's Mansion 2, Zelda OoT3D, etc. boosted the 3DS, but they've kept up with the big releases for that system much more than they did for Wii U.

3DS has: FE Awakening, Zelda ALBW, Kid Icarus Uprising, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Paper Mario, Zelda MM3D, among many others, including like 3 more recently announced games AND third party support with games like Bravely Default.
Wii U has: Splatoon, Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, Game & Wario?

What Wii U games are new, fresh or innovative besides Splatoon or Hyrule Warriors (which is geting ported to the Wii U), and aren't variations of games you can already get on the 3DS? Star Fox Zero is even a re-imagining and expansion on Star Fox 64, which is on the 3DS.

I should clarify: I own almost all of these games and the Wii U is probably my favorite console ever. It's obvious that Nintendo isn't supporting it well though.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Did someone seriously just say Super Mario 3D World is an expanded port of 3D Land?
Or did I read that wrong?
To a common audience, it is. Remember, you're on a forum centered around a Nintendo game.

The point of software is to sell the hardware.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I don't actually think that 3D World should be considered a glorified port, FYI. It's great and possibly should've gotten a better name. It's also considerably different from 3D Land, but the point being is that it's not Galaxy 3 (what the fans were asking for) or something brand new.

If the goal of the software is to move hardware units, then they should've had a Mario game that doesn't play as similarly or named as similarly to one they already have available on their much cheaper handheld. Isn't that why fans were upset about the 2D Mario's in the first place?

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
What Wii U games are new, fresh or innovative besides Splatoon or Hyrule Warriors (which is geting ported to the Wii U), and aren't variations of games you can already get on the 3DS? Star Fox Zero is even a re-imagining and expansion on Star Fox 64, which is on the 3DS.
I don't agree with a lot of what you're saying, but regardless, it's not my point. I'm not saying that some people aren't disappointed with some of the entries in these franchises, I'm just pointing out that Nintendo (which generally dislikes releasing more than one main line entry into as series per console) has already hit most of their check list franchises this generation.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/2...r-nintendo-with-disney-for-a-project-nintendo
These rumors come from the same source that accurately nailed the Wave 3 amiibo info, as well as Nintendo characters being in Skylanders.

RUMOR #1

Nintendo & Disney have negotiated a deal for films, video games and interactive toys/merchandise

- amiibo are not included in Disney Infinity 3.0 because both companies are yet to set an agreement
- Disney wanted to have Mario figurine in Disney Infinity, but Nintendo hasn't made a deal yet
- Mario could star in Disney films, such as Wreck-It Ralph 2
- Disney wants a game where Mario and Mickey meet up
- Nintendo is open to the idea, but want to set their own pace for it

RUMOR #2

Nintendo mobile games will hit the Amazon App Store

- Nintendo will offer their mobile games through Amazon App Store
- Amazon approached Nintendo about the deal
- Nintendo asked Amazon about Amazon TV game
- people at Amazon think that there is something related to Android going on
- Nintendo is moving some of their data out of Amazon Cloud Servers to DeNA ones

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I don't agree with a lot of what you're saying, but regardless, it's not my point. I'm not saying that some people aren't disappointed with some of the entries in these franchises, I'm just pointing out that Nintendo (which generally dislikes releasing more than one main line entry into as series per console) has already hit most of their check list franchises this generation.
Alright. Thats not something I can argue against, but the post you were replying to was regarding wow factor and quality, not quantity. I understand what you're going for though.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
They delayed Zelda and then refused to show anything about it at the biggest gaming event of the year. Not even a piece of artwork like they did with Skyward Sword.
We already know way more about Zelda U than we did about Skyward Sword when they showed off that single piece of artwork (that was all they showed when they announced it; for Zelda U we've already got a teaser trailer and some live gameplay footage).

I don't know why people are so worried about the new Zelda. It'll come out when it comes out.

This is par for the course. I wasn't even disappointed when they delayed it because I already knew it was getting delayed. The only Zelda game that came out when it was originally supposed to, going all the way back to Alttp, was Majora's Mask, and that's just because it used the same engine and most the same assets from Ocarina.

Ocarina of Time: Originally announced for Q1 1998, officially delayed at E3 '97 to Q4 1998.

Wind Waker: Originally announced for 2002, officially delayed at E3 '02 to 2003.

Twilight Princess: Originally announced for Nov 2005, officially delayed in Aug 2005 to Nov 2006

Skyward Sword is a bit trickier, since they technically met their release date, but they didn't officially announce one until the preceding year. It still took 5 years of dev time to produce. There was that fiasco where they admitted the game was only "half complete" in 2010, after 4 years of dev time. Conspiracy hat on, but it seems pretty clear the game suffered internal delays.

And now Zelda U is pushed back a year. It's perfectly normal. These are big games. They've already confirmed it's still coming to Wii U, so I really don't see what the big deal is they elected not to show off more of the game at E3.

Big Console Zelda games are a bi-decennial affair.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Is this where the leak brigade travelled?
We travelled far. We travelled wide.
Only once we reached our destination did we get what we set out for.
Leaks. Leaks came out the pipe the moment we left the old thread.
The Plumbers couldn't keep the good job up for too long.:4mario::4luigi:

Heck, this is often still referred to as the leaks group. We are who we are, I guess.
We will always be the Leak group thread. + Extras.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
We already know way more about Zelda U than we did about Skyward Sword when they showed off that single piece of artwork (that was all they showed when they announced it; for Zelda U we've already got a teaser trailer and some live gameplay footage).

I don't know why people are so worried about the new Zelda. It'll come out when it comes out.

This is par for the course. I wasn't even disappointed when they delayed it because I already knew it was getting delayed. The only Zelda game that came out when it was originally supposed to, going all the way back to Alttp, was Majora's Mask, and that's just because it used the same engine and most the same assets from Ocarina.

Ocarina of Time: Originally announced for Q1 1998, officially delayed at E3 '97 to Q4 1998.

Wind Waker: Originally announced for 2002, officially delayed at E3 '02 to 2003.

Twilight Princess: Originally announced for Nov 2005, officially delayed in Aug 2005 to Nov 2006

Skyward Sword is a bit trickier, since they technically met their release date, but they didn't officially announce one until the preceding year. It still took 5 years of dev time to produce. There was that fiasco where they admitted the game was only "half complete" in 2010, after 4 years of dev time. Conspiracy hat on, but it seems pretty clear the game suffered internal delays.

And now Zelda U is pushed back a year. It's perfectly normal. These are big games. They've already confirmed it's still coming to Wii U, so I really don't see what the big deal is they elected not to show off more of the game at E3.

Actually I think in one Interview, I think it was Iwata asks, Anoumna was about ready to scrap stuff they had Skyward Sword, all because they couldn't get the motion controls of the Wii to work the way they wanted for the game, and just start a new, it wasn't until the Wii Motion Plus happened that he and his team got the controls working the way they wanted in Skyward Sword. So you may actually be right in saying that Skyward Sword may have suffered from its delays.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't believe the Disney rumors. First of all, Nintendo and Universal have recently reached an agreement for Nintendo content in their parks. That seems like a move Disney would try to block if they were actively in negotiations with them. Second of all, wasn't Sony in negotiation with Nintendo as far as movies are concerned? I suppose it's possible they switched dance partners, but still.

If this is true, I honestly can't wait for the day were Mario meets Mickey, it will be historic.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
>Disney buys Nintendo
>Smash Bros X Disney announced
>Mickey vs Mario vs Iron Man vs Darth Vader vs Kurmit vs Link vs Elsa vs Jubba the Hut
>Most well received game in history
>Kingdom Hearts all ported to Nintend systems, with special nintendo bonuses

Really, they should just put there release dates later and then maybe pull it back.
Hell, they should have done what they did with skyward sword and not say much about release.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
His chances have clearly doubled.

Unfortunately, 0 x 2 is still 0. :troll:
What's really awesome about this deal is that it allows Sora to join Smash as a pure Disney rep, therefore opening up the coveted Sqaure Enix spot and making it even more likely that Geno will be added.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I don't believe the Disney rumors. First of all, Nintendo and Universal have recently reached an agreement for Nintendo content in their parks. That seems like a move Disney would try to block if they were actively in negotiations with them. Second of all, wasn't Sony in negotiation with Nintendo as far as movies are concerned? I suppose it's possible they switched dance partners, but still.

I really do need mushroom kingdom hearts to be a thing!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's the title about? crooner mike being "that guy"?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Changed from Daphne to Sonic. To celebrate the Blur's birthday this week.

I love my Sonic. He was actually my first childhood game.

Then Mario (and thus Nintendo) became my true love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom