• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well, that would explain the costume... but as cool as Heihachi is, why not consider Yoshimitsu, Sakurai? Hmm? HMM?!
Heihachi is the face of Tekken though.

Him or Jin/Kazuya.

Ultimately I really think Street Fighter should be the only fighting game represented in Smash though.

Tekken would be nice though, but I think Ryu would lose his specialness if another popular fighting game character got in for real.

This even includes other iconic Street Fighter characters IMO.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Heihachi is the face of Tekken though.

Him or Jin/Kazuya.

Ultimately I really think Street Fighter should be the only fighting game represented in Smash though.

Tekken would be nice though, but I think Ryu would lose his specialness if another popular fighting game character got in for real.

This even includes other iconic Street Fighter characters IMO.
Well, Yoshimitsu is a mainstay in Namco's two fighting game series. Heihachi had a guest appearance in Soul Calibur 2, but that's it. Plus, Yoshimitsu has so many different abilities to use for a cool moveset, being a robot ninja swordsman and all lol.

I kinda agree though, Ryu should probably the only fighting game rep... for now.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm gonna guess that had nothing to do with it.
Maybe but I still believe that it played some part in it just like the opposite with how Raiden got in PSASBR over Snake.

Advertisement be damned

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Heihachi was briefly considered (Along with some other Tekken characters).
I'm not surprised, honestly.

His Mii Fighter Costume in the New Content stream was treated like such a big announcement in comparison to the other ones. It was part of Ryu's trailer unlike the rest, which were just listed off at the start.

It sorta suggests to me that Sakurai holds the character (or series as a whole) in high regard.

Maybe but I still believe that it played some part in it just like the opposite with how Raiden got in PSASBR over Snake.

Advertisement be damned
Except unlike Smash (where the "advertisement" theories are pretty much completely baseless), PSASBR is known to have made roster decisions for advertising purposes.

Raiden isn't the only piece of evidence: Dante's proof, too.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Advertisement be damned
Or...

Advertisement was the chief reason Raiden was chosen.

You know...

Because the whole game was centered around it.

And honestly, who cares if Heihachi was in PSASBR. Sakurai doesn't.

Unlike this fandumb, he doesn't get "jealous" like middle schoolers who see their crush talk to someone else.

You're looking too deep into this.

I'm not surprised, honestly.

His Mii Fighter Costume in the New Content stream was treated like such a big announcement in comparison to the other ones. It was part of Ryu's trailer unlike the rest, which were just listed off at the start.

It sorta suggests to me that Sakurai holds the character (or series as a whole) in high regard.
It is Tekken.

Tekken is a big deal.

Last edited:

AreJay25

Tekken has always been seen as a rival to Street Fighter. Hell, they had a crossover game. It made a lot of sense for the Heihachi costume to be treated as such.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Side story among the Tekken talk: I was playing smash online for fun mode and....I actually had a lot of fun! I really enjoy playing it minus the bad lag.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Tekken is iconic enough to get into Smash.

I'd say next to SF. It's the biggest fighter on the market.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
I'd sure love to see Mortal Kombat represented in Smash Bros. Too bad that will never happen.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Tekken is iconic enough to get into Smash.

I'd say next to SF. It's the biggest fighter on the market.
It's the SF of 3D Fighters. (Virtua Fighter gets to be King of Fighters in this scenario.)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, I could never see Mortal Kombat showing up outside of Trophies or Music at best. They are iconic enough for trophy stuff, at least. But explaining the hyper violence and gore ain't going to cut it, so...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Mortal Kombat worked without the gore in the DC Universe crossover. The problem there was the DC characters were well....out of character.

AreJay25

I kinda wish Nintendo still owned Rare. A Killer Instinct character would have been pretty cool.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I kinda wish Nintendo still owned Rare. A Killer Instinct character would have been pretty cool.
They'd have a lot of Rare characters to battle to get in though.

Like Banjo, Joanna Dark (honestly she would've been awesome in Brawl in Snake's place), etc.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mortal Kombat worked without the gore in the DC Universe crossover. The problem there was the DC characters were well....out of character.
Trophy descriptions, though... and to be honest, it felt out of character for the MK universe to not be bloody. Albeit, I know the cartoon did it, but it at least had everyone be a jesneate for it. And it wasn't lacking in heavy violence either. And my god, were they mean to each other. The villains were arguably kinder...

That said, if we got Warner Bros. content, Scorpion deserves a Trophy. I think they could be made into a smash friendly fighter, sure. There's tons of a moves that can be toned down while feeling violent enough overall(just without the gore, etc.) Let's not forget, Smash is still violent by default. Scorpion's Spear is near identical to the Hookshot in design, just needs different textures. Uppercuts are normal. Fireballs are common... and even characters with a skull for a head are in Smash Run. They just wouldn't feel very well implemented without the gore, the focus of the series. You know what I mean?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've never felt the gore in Mortal Kombat was necessary.

Honestly?

It feels like a gimmick to separate it from other fighters and nothing more.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Sakurai has an old column about Tekken Quest (one of the spin off Tekken games). Haven't really looked at it, but it exists. Will look at it again.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
And that's actually pretty important.
It is, but there's more ways than immature over the top gore.

I don't know. Use to be a fan of it, but now it's just like ''This series is just relying on this to be special."

It's a crutch and that's why it's bad.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Battle Toads > Killer Instinct when it comes to Smash. Banjo and Joanna get precedence over them, however.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, it's cheesy. But I think that's why people like it. It's a franchise that doesn't take itself seriously. It's been this way since the first.

I'd sure love to see Mortal Kombat represented in Smash Bros. Too bad that will never happen.
If it did, I want Mokap.
He was a nice guy.

Last edited:

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
That game was critically panned, so saying it "worked" is a bit of stretch imo

It is, but there's more ways than immature over the top gore.

I don't know. Use to be a fan of it, but now it's just like ''This series is just relying on this to be special."

It's a crutch and that's why it's bad.
Aside from frequent patches, MKX is considered to have some of the best gameplay of modern fighters. Like, have you seen some of the tournaments? They're pretty legit. The gore is definitely a staple of MK and it's certainly not for everyone, but the game doesnt rely on it to be fun. The amount of content and modes rivals smash.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even play MK often.

Chrono.

Mortal Kombat was really only famous when it first came out BECAUSE of it's over the top violence. The games themselves weren't too great and everyone knew it but the blood and gore was the big selling point.

When the series went to the PS2/GC era the games still weren't that great but it got much more obvious because by that time there were tons of games that had blood and gore while also being actually good.

Of course they actually got their crap together and MK9 and X both turned out amazing so this story has a good ending.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
MK9 and X are great games, but the gore is just a flashy distraction.

The crutch isn't for the fact that they make bad games, like Akxareth said, it use to be as the originals and the PS2 era don't hold up well at all.

But instead the fact that if you take away the gore's flashiness, all your left with is a bunch of interesting characters punching one another, which isn't so bad.

So the question is....why do you need the gore?

You don't.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I'm really okay with only one fighting game character (Ryu) in the roster.
We don't need Mortal Kombat, Virtua Figthers, King of Figthers characters..

I know it's looking like one, but smash is not a mugen.
Ryu was just iconic enough, and take the fighting game character slot.
(I hope so....)

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
I'm really okay with only one fighting game character (Ryu) in the roster.
We don't need Mortal Kombat, Virtua Figthers, King of Figthers characters..

I know it's looking like one, but smash is not a mugen.
Ryu was just iconic enough, and take the fighting game character slot.
(I hope so....)
I have this feeling that in the Next 15-20 years Smash Bros will become "THE" official mugen for video games, but its just a feeling...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I bought a :4diddy: and :4pacman: amiibo today!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Heihachi would be the definition of "Just any old 3rd Party character being added". He doesn't belong in the same sentence as Pac-Man, Sonic, Ryu, Mega Man and Snake.

It was likely only a consideration because Namco are co-developing the game.

Geno's basically already confirmed because he's clearly the most requested and popular Nintendo character who's not already playable.
Geno is the most likely vet that was cut from Brawl.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Heihachi would be the definition of "Just any old 3rd Party character being added". He doesn't belong in the same sentence as Pac-Man, Sonic, Ryu, Mega Man and Snake.

It was likely only a consideration because Namco are co-developing the game.
Dude.

Heihachi and Tekken are kind of big news.

No joke. There's more to games then Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom