• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I didn't pick up on that, but maybe that's just me. I thought of it more as, "everything that was in the pipeline is out now and we're going to start on more but you have to be patient."
'From now until the end, it is going to be fan service" - that was directly from the interview. They are likely working on characters now, but the wording makes it clear (to me) that he is using preliminary poll results to pick the character additions.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
What number could be assumed as "several", though?

Also, I don't see how the wording rules out more pre-ballot DLC.
From now until the end, it is going to be fan service
これからは、あくまでサービス
"From now". It means it wasn't before. Therefore, we are going to start getting ballot characters (or characters being requested on the ballot).

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice
'From now until the end, it is going to be fan service" - that was directly from the interview. They are likely working on characters now, but the wording makes it clear (to me) that he is using preliminary poll results to pick the character additions.
Sounds like they're only doing Fire Emblem Fates DLC characters from now on.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
"From now". It means it wasn't before. Therefore, we are going to start getting ballot characters (or characters being requested on the ballot).

I hope that Sakurai sees the potential of lower-voted characters in the ballot as well. I mean, sure, the likes of King K. Rool, Isaac and a few others are an extreme possibility now, but even if the ballot is a simple popularity contest, I'm hoping they look at the lower rungs and say "you know what? that character looks interesting. Bring 'em in."

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Well...he did say several, right? I mean, that could mean more than 2...I don't even play Wolf but i'd be super surprised if he didn't come back. I mean, Sakurai said he knows players love characters. And there's nothing holding Wolf back like the Icies or Snake. If he doesn't come back, i would be floored.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I knew that joke was going to be made! Soma and I joked about it.

I hope that Sakurai sees the potential of lower-voted characters in the ballot as well. I mean, sure, the likes of King K. Rool, Isaac and a few others are an extreme possibility now, but even if the ballot is a simple popularity contest, I'm hoping they look at the lower rungs and say "you know what? that character looks interesting. Bring 'em in."
He's always brought a mix of "highly requested" characters and characters that aren't as popular. Sheik is an example of not being that popular, and yet was a higher priority than Ganondorf.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'd have a better time believing this if Sakurai didn't use weird/misleading wording before.

Remember, Mewtwo was supposed to be "the only DLC character," and look what happened.
What I learn about Sakurai is this:

Don't believe almost everything he says and shut the hell up until we get more information. As of now, there is nothing definite and there's nothing confirmed so don't assume things.

As what :4robinm:&:4lucas: showed us, anything is possible.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
"There's only going to be several more characters" has to be the most beautifully vague statement Sakurai has ever made.

I don't think that what @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D said about the preballot is correct though, that would imply that they aren't actually working on any more characters until the ballot is over, which would be October. I doubt they'll allow it to fester that long.

I think we could see another vet at least before october's end.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I could actually make a strong case for Ryu Hayabusa, now that I'm thinking about it.

Does he even have a support thread in the character sub forum? He really should.

The NES games were some of the first titles I ever experienced that really used "cut scenes" as story telling tools. For example:

http://smashboards.com/threads/wanted-dead-or-alive-ryu-hayabusa-from-ninja-gaiden-for-dlc.401920/

right here man.

I think you mean Pokemon. After all it is the most popular Nintendo franchise :troll:

Yeah I really hope he does as well. Whine as much as you want about Pokemon reps, but some of the more unknown ones could make for some very interesting playstyles. Plus I'd love to see more old retro Nintendo characters get revivals.

Also I think Ryu maybe the only 3rd party DLC we get, mainly because Nintendo may not have needed to have forked over as much money as they would for other 3rd party characters. But just so you guys know, I still want Snake, its just Konami is all the place right now.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wouldn't be surprised if they only planned Mewtwo at first, but after the amount of sales/CN Codes entered they started work on more characters. If the CN Promotion ended in January, it would have given the recent DLC additions 6 months of development, with Mewtwo probably having a similar time length, and Lucas being somewhat far given what we know from the Sal leak.

I could actually make a strong case for Ryu Hayabusa, now that I'm thinking about it.

Does he even have a support thread in the character sub forum? He really should.

The NES games were some of the first titles I ever experienced that really used "cut scenes" as story telling tools. For example:
One of the few deserving 3rd Parties IMO. Doubt it'll ever happen but whatever. Pretty sure he has his own thread somewhere.

The wording in the interview makes it seem like Sakurai hasn't decided on a final number for DLC, but it also makes it clear that we have seen all of our pre-ballot DLC.

If you want Wolf, you better start voting.
Potentially. If all the pre-ballot DLC is done and they have a deadline of October 3rd, they'll need something to preoccupy their time, especially if what we currently know is coming will be done/more than likely done/is already done within the next month and a half.

Of course though, there could be a giant gap in information/releases like Mario Kart 8 (which wouldn't be bad if you're looking from a balance patch perspective), but it's a good bet they'll start finalizing something soon, if they haven't done so already.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Why did you tag me? And I never said he was confirmed do you want me to turn this thread upside down because of you? I know you did edit your post to remove the tag
I tagged you because I'm a douchebag. Plain and simple. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I removed it because @Firus pointed out that it was a jerk thing to do on my part and tagging you outright was unnecessary, and I agree with him on that. My bad.

I know you never said he was confirmed, by the way. I was making exaggerations based on your tendency to exaggerate. ie saying Geno is just as requested now as he was pre-Brawl and that he's this huge part of Nintendo history.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
"There's only going to be several more characters" has to be the most beautifully vague statement Sakurai has ever made.

I don't think that what @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D said about the preballot is correct though, that would imply that they aren't actually working on any more characters until the ballot is over, which would be October. I doubt they'll allow it to fester that long.

I don't mean that they are waiting until the ballot ends. Just that all characters from this point on will be influenced by the ongoing poll results, and that all character planned without fan input have already been released.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I tagged you because I'm a douchebag. Plain and simple. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I removed it because @Firus pointed out that it was a jerk thing to do on my part and tagging you outright was unnecessary, and I agree with him on that. My bad.

I know you never said he was confirmed, by the way. I was making exaggerations based on your tendency to exaggerate. ie saying Geno is just as requested now as he was pre-Brawl and that he's this huge part of Nintendo history.
I never said he was a huge part of Nintendo history...

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
One of the few deserving 3rd Parties IMO. Doubt it'll ever happen but whatever. Pretty sure he has his own thread somewhere.
While Ryu Hayabusa maybe one of the few remaining deserving 3rd parties left. But I think its time we got the left paddle or right paddle from Pong playable. And you can't say that their an assist trophy cause that's Colour TV Game 15, not Pong :troll:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Even without going to the thread, which I will do, Ryu has a lot going for him. His NES games are about on the same level of notoriety as the Castlevania series and his modern 3D games helped redefine the hack n' slash genre. His most recent game even appeared on the Wii U, and Tecmo-Koei and Nintendo have a great relationship at the moment (Hyrule Warriors ring a bell?)

I want to know the series sales numbers. It has to be at least 20 million if you factor in DOA.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I feel compelled to point out here that the literal definition of the word "several" means "more than 2, but not many". While obviously there are translation issues to take into account, and that Sakurai probably doesn't painstakingly select his words as carefully as we'd all like him to, it's definitely worth noting.

It would fit with the 2 more Mario slots being characters choices chosen pre-ballot, and then whatever we get beyond that being ballot characters theory.

I don't mean that they are waiting until the ballot ends. Just that all characters from this point on will be influenced by the ongoing poll results, and that all character planned without fan input have already been released.
I suppose they could have taken preliminary poll results into account when deciding on characters post-Ryu/Roy/Lucas.

If this is the case, I hope that assumptions made by fans about Wolf being a lock won't be a boon for him. I know I voted for him, but I've read way too many comments saying that they didn't bother because he was "guaranteed".

Even without going to the thread, which I will do, Ryu has a lot going for him. His NES games are about on the same level of notoriety as the Castlevania series and his modern 3D games helped redefine the hack n' slash genre. His most recent game even appeared on the Wii U, and Tecmo-Koei and Nintendo have a great relationship at the moment (Hyrule Warriors ring a bell?)

I want to know the series sales numbers. It has to be at least 20 million if you factor in DOA.
Ryu is impossible, we already have a Ryu. And we all know that you can't have more than one Roy Ryu in a game.

:4roy::4feroy:

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I mean, they've looked at ballot results thus far- Sakurai said he knew how popular Lucas and Roy were even though they were already in development. I'd assume the same could be said about Wolf.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
He's always brought a mix of "highly requested" characters and characters that aren't as popular. Sheik is an example of not being that popular, and yet was a higher priority than Ganondorf.
True, but given this is about the ballot, there are unquestionably more votes for characters that are less popular than ever before.

Now it's a matter of, if the team were to choose a lower voted character, for which series and which character. A lot of series have these dark horse style underdogs that pale in votes compared to others from their own series:

Mario: Really hard to judge for Mario because Paper Mario, Daisy and Cap. Toad are roughly on the same level. Geno probably counts but his chances are about as small as a bacteria and he's technically third party.

DK: Every Kong not named Dixie.(behind K. Rool and Dixie)

Zelda: Groose, Fi, Pig Ganon (likely behind Toon Zelda because muhforbiddenseven)

Kirby: Magolor (behind Bandana Dee)

Pokemon: Too many to count and judge.

Metroid(bets this series won't be even considered): Sylux, Rundas (from a logical, established perspective, behind no one, but Ridley keeps getting voted for and you all know his deal)

Star Fox: Krystal and Slippy (behind Wolf, natch)

Fire Emblem: Tiki, Kamui, Anna(underdogs due to perceived Fire Emblem bias :4feroy:)

F-Zero: Every character is an underdog, technically.

Kid Icarus: Hades, Medusa and Viridi are most likely on the same level, Viridi is probably higher.

Mother: Underdog series given it's most missed veteran returned. :4lucas:

Animal Crossing: Um...Resetti has a thread. It's something?

Wario: 9-Volt and Mona are probably equal.

Pikmin: Louie has a thread. re: something

Xenoblade: Fiora has had support for a while, but she's being rivalled by Melia and Xross now. [spoiler character that should be really obvious] is probably the underdog despite being in the game already.

Third parties: Listed by company.

SEGA: Hard to tell. Tails is the most commonly cited second newcomer that Sonic/SEGA should have.

Capcom: A third rep is really pushing it since Ryu is in Smash now. Everyone else, I guess.

Bandai Namco: Klonoa has had the biggest support out of all of the Namco reps, so that makes everyone else the underdog.

Konami: Bomberman and Simon are most likely behind Snake.

Others:

Rayman, Shantae, and Banjo Kazooie likely stand above the rest.

As you can see, competition for these lower voted characters is fierce. And that's without taking into account that some are probably from lower voted series in the ballot as well.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
No one does objective cynicism better.
Embarrass

I never said he was a huge part of Nintendo history...
k

As @ PushDustIn PushDustIn stated a while back, it's entirely possible that we could get a ballot character before October.

October is the deadline for submissions; we don't necessarily know if it's the date when characters will be decided. There's been enough time to gauge what characters are in high demand.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Finally, you're here!

We can finally start talking about Spider-man casting again!

Also, you just missed random Pokemon musings.
Yay welcoming!

I only finally saw the Nintendo e3, I extended my time in Israel a few weeks.

....e3 was meh

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
"From now" well good thing we have data showing they were working on 2 more characters prior to this statement thank god for mario and his brother...other mario

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Metroid(bets this series won't be even considered): Sylux, Rundas (from a logical, established perspective, behind no one, but Ridley keeps getting voted for and you all know his deal)
Judging from what we've heard about the future Samus-based Metroid game, Sylux is basically destined to be a character who's going to have a pretty significant jump in popularity between SSB4 and the next Smash game.

I don't see him getting into SSB4 under any circumstances, but he's bound to be a frontrunner for the next game.

"From now" well good thing we have data showing they were working on 2 more characters prior to this statement thank god for mario and his brother...other mario
Actually, we have proof that they prepared two slots for characters to be added. Not proof that development on these characters had actually started.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
As @ PushDustIn PushDustIn stated a while back, it's entirely possible that we could get a ballot character before October.

October is the deadline for submissions; we don't necessarily know if it's the date when characters will be decided. There's been enough time to gauge what characters are in high demand.
It's possible but would be in poor taste if they let the ballot run until October and didn't take the full results into account when developing future characters. As has been pointed out, this has been constructed and presented to fans purely as a ballot for this game. The fact that it runs until October + dev time suggests that we should be seeing DLC released into the new year.

I almost dread the inevitable ****storm if K. Rool is not DLC "The Ballot was fake", "Nintendo doesn't listen" etc.

Judging from what we've heard about the future Samus-based Metroid game, Sylux is basically destined to be a character who's going to have a pretty significant jump in popularity between SSB4 and the next Smash game.

I don't see him getting into SSB4 under any circumstances, but he's bound to be a frontrunner for the next game.

Actually, we have proof that they prepared two slots for characters to be added. Not proof that development on these characters had actually started.
That makes Ridley even less likely for the next game lol.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I almost dread the inevitable ****storm if K. Rool is not DLC "The Ballot was fake", "Nintendo doesn't listen" etc.
That's going to happen regardless of when the ballot characters are announced.

And even if K. Rool gets added, people are going to make comments like that about some other character (Inkling, Isaac, Rayman, etc.)

It's an unwinnable situation.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That's going to happen regardless of when the ballot characters are announced.

And even if K. Rool gets added, people are going to make comments like that about some other character (Inkling, Isaac, Rayman, etc.)

It's an unwinnable situation.
This is why I think the ballot was a bad idea for Nintendo.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's possible but would be in poor taste if they let the ballot run until October and didn't take the full results into account when developing future characters. As has been pointed out, this has been constructed and presented to fans purely as a ballot for this game. The fact that it runs until October + dev time suggests that we should be seeing DLC released into the new year.
It can, and likely will, be used both ways.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I mean, they've looked at ballot results thus far- Sakurai said he knew how popular Lucas and Roy were even though they were already in development. I'd assume the same could be said about Wolf.
I was actually going to say something similar. Technically Lucas and Roy fall under "fan service," also. He doesn't explicitly say "from the ballot," either. Wolf is pretty popular, and if they saw the requests for him pre-Ballot as hey did for Lucas, then he still has a fighting chance, IMO, no pun intended.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
So wait what have I missed.
Is it only Ballot characters now.
Do I have reasons to worry.:wolf::popo:
Ballot or no ballot you should be worried about the Ice Climbers. They're the one cut character who the ballot definitely won't do anything for (well except for :snake:). If Sakurai can bring them back, he will, if not then the ballot won't change that.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Part of the reason I'm so pessimistic about K. Rool is because I REALLY don't want to get my hopes up for him. If they actually listened to the huge fan demand and put him in (even over Dixie Kong) I may overreact even more than Etika. And I'll do it while naked rather than just trouser-less.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
:icsmelee:

Ballot or no ballot you should be worried about the Ice Climbers. They're the one cut character who the ballot definitely won't do anything for (well except for :snake:). If Sakurai can bring them back, he will, if not then the ballot won't change that.
I mean Wolf more so.
I just put them there because Tertiaries.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The news is good to hear for fan service and several more characters, my speculation days are over completely.
If the line-up is going to be predictable, then I rather not bet on the DLC selection anymore.
Still it'll be exciting to see who actually is getting developed, still want to see Isaac happen if fan-demand is the main case for the ballot and I still want to see a load of third-party characters happen.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
:4lucas:Up until now. :4lucas:
I was gonna post that dengit

So, is this the part where we speculate on Sakurai's words for 4 months while we slowly go insane from the anticipation?

****, it's Brawl all over again

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
So I guess the question at this point is, what does "several" mean.

I means more than 2, so I'm going with 3. That was my midway guess to begin with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom