• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Judging from what we've heard about the future Samus-based Metroid game, Sylux is basically destined to be a character who's going to have a pretty significant jump in popularity between SSB4 and the next Smash game.

I don't see him getting into SSB4 under any circumstances, but he's bound to be a frontrunner for the next game.
That is, if Smash 5 exists at all(cautiously optimistic) and it doesn't switch directors.

It starts with the game existing and if Prime 4 is released before it.

If Sakurai remains, Ridley fans will likely stay covert and Sylux will be given a chance to shine.

If the director is switched, Ridley fans will blow up and start supporting him again, establishing competition.

Best case scenario is that we get both for the latter scenario and getting Sylux at all for the former.

The main reason I'm pushing support for Sylux now(almost futile as it is) is due to the off chance that it could be considered for Sm4sh under the reasoning of "add character to promote series" and as consolation to all the pissed off fans.

I myself believe it has low chances as well, but I intend to capitalize on whatever I can since it's my #1 DLC wish.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Several probably means more than 10 to me. :p
The definition of several is "more than 2, but not many". I'm going with the more pessimistic outlook.

This is a very "wait n' see" situation.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
So wait what have I missed.
Is it only Ballot characters now.
Do I have reasons to worry.:wolf::popo:
There was plenty reason to worry even before now. Especially for the Ice Climbers (in their case, there's not really any reason to be optimistic).

I imagine uproar if Wolf doesn't return.(Just check the Wolf thread and all it's supporters.)
Not just on here, but everywhere that speculated about him.
Especially now that Roy returned.
The next DLC is going to be interesting to say the least.
It's a possibility I wish more people would be prepared for.

Several probably means more than 10 to me. :p

Last edited:

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Kinda worried for Young Link, Pichu etc. now that there putting their full focus on popular ballot characters.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I doubt we'll get ten or more. Two, maybe; I'd even settle with five. But certainly not ten.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
There's no two ways about it, Wolf's absence will disappoint me greatly. I'm kind of preparing for the possibility he may not return, but it doesn't make it any less hard to swallow.

Kinda worried for Young Link, Pichu etc. now that there putting their full focus on popular ballot characters.
Pichu and Young Link were longshots anyway. They were after all the only 2 Melee characters who Sakurai didn't intend to bring back for Brawl. Shame, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I think Pichu was intended to be reiterated via "PraiMai" like Young Link was reiterated into Toon link. I agree Pichu's dead now, and I never thought Snake or Icies had a chance. Wolf is the best bet, and he's popular enough that it might just happen.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Right now I'm thinking that we're getting 3 characters. Don't want to get my hopes up too high.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Pichu was intended to be reiterated via "PraiMai" like Young Link was reiterated into Toon link. I agree Pichu's dead now, and I never thought Snake or Icies had a chance. Wolf is the best bet, and he's popular enough that it might just happen.
I still wouldn't say they had no chance. After all Pichu ranked fairly high in @ PushDustIn PushDustIn 's chart. And we don't have a confirmation that the only characters from now on are ballot ones. It's just an assumption at the moment.

They're longshots, but still plausible.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
4 Seems to me like the absolute maximum amount of DLC characters we'll get from here onward. Playing it safe....probably just 2.

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Right, so if we're taking several as a literal definition, that puts us at an absolute minimum of three more DLC characters and IMO, at an absolute max of six because I don't see us getting any more than ten characters total.

However, if we are to believe that the two Mario slots are indeed pre-ballot, then I can't see any less than four more DLC characters, because I feel it'd be very un-Sakurai to give us only one ballot character and then stop completely. 2-4 ballot chars seems like the perfect range in which he'd satisfy a wide swathe of those voting without leaving too many in the cold.

So basically my prediction is:

Two pre-ballot characters:

1. Wolf: likely for pre-ballot requests and popularity ala Lucas, plus his ease in porting him over from Brawl.

2. Rhythm Heaven rep: If for no other reason than that Soccerguy can't justify them as DLC any other way than as a pre-ballot character, they're definitely not leading the ballot pack by any stretch of the imagination.

Minimum of two ballot characters, max of four (organized by my thoughts on likelihood)

3. K. Rool: Almost assuredly one of, if not THE frontrunner in the ballot.

4. Isaac: Often believed to be very closely behind K. Rool in votes.

5. Rayman: With the timing of Omni's Rayman hoax so close in proximity to the ballot's beginning, it feels like Rayman's perfect storm to me. A surge in popularity right in time for ballot votes, some negotiations already done with him if for no other reason than the trophies the series already has in-game, and from what we know, Ubisoft's very large desire to have him join the battle? I feel like Rayman's got a decent shot at being pre-ballot DLC and an even better shot at post-ballot. His biggest hurdle I think will be the amount Sakurai finally settles on, seeing as how he doesn't seem to have decided on it yet.

6. Wild card. After those three above I really have no idea who's going to be doing really well on the ballot that'll be considered. Snake, Banjo, Ridley and Shantae likely are standouts but each has some difficult issues to deal with before even being considered. After them I'd guess possibly characters like Bandana Dee and Impa? But again, after K. Rool and Isaac, the water gets too muddy to pick a frontrunner of the backrunners.

Basically I believe we'll get 1-4, and hope we'll also get 5 and 6. Personally I'd toss out #2 and sub in a definite Snake if I was planning the DLC, but the evidence in favor of some Rhythm Heaven character being planned at one point makes me pretty confident Sakurai will at least attempt to revisit the concept for DLC, and Snake's got the whole Konami deal to put up with which is all kinds of hell right now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think 4 more max with only one more third party.

Has anyone got the the polls on what people voted for?

I'm betting Wolf and K.Rool are in the lead.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I believe we'll get 5 more characters.

- (pre-ballot)
- (ballot)
- (ballot)
- 3rd party
- Wildcard

Wildcard because anything can happen.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I do apologize for my lack of activity here.

Hope you guys are doing well. :)

Also... excuze my lazyness and busyness, but, what did we learn about what Sakurai said recently?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Right, so if we're taking several as a literal definition, that puts us at an absolute minimum of three more DLC characters and IMO, at an absolute max of six because I don't see us getting any more than ten characters total.

However, if we are to believe that the two Mario slots are indeed pre-ballot, then I can't see any less than four more DLC characters, because I feel it'd be very un-Sakurai to give us only one ballot character and then stop completely. 2-4 ballot chars seems like the perfect range in which he'd satisfy a wide swathe of those voting without leaving too many in the cold.

So basically my prediction is:

Two pre-ballot characters:

1. Wolf: likely for pre-ballot requests and popularity ala Lucas, plus his ease in porting him over from Brawl.

2. Rhythm Heaven rep: If for no other reason than that Soccerguy can't justify them as DLC any other way than as a pre-ballot character, they're definitely not leading the ballot pack by any stretch of the imagination.

Minimum of two ballot characters, max of four (organized by my thoughts on likelihood)

3. K. Rool: Almost assuredly one of, if not THE frontrunner in the ballot.

4. Isaac: Often believed to be very closely behind K. Rool in votes.

5. Rayman: With the timing of Omni's Rayman hoax so close in proximity to the ballot's beginning, it feels like Rayman's perfect storm to me. A surge in popularity right in time for ballot votes, some negotiations already done with him if for no other reason than the trophies the series already has in-game, and from what we know, Ubisoft's very large desire to have him join the battle? I feel like Rayman's got a decent shot at being pre-ballot DLC and an even better shot at post-ballot. His biggest hurdle I think will be the amount Sakurai finally settles on, seeing as how he doesn't seem to have decided on it yet.

6. Wild card. After those three above I really have no idea who's going to be doing really well on the ballot that'll be considered. Snake, Banjo, Ridley and Shantae likely are standouts but each has some difficult issues to deal with before even being considered. After them I'd guess possibly characters like Bandana Dee and Impa? But again, after K. Rool and Isaac, the water gets too muddy to pick a frontrunner of the backrunners.

Basically I believe we'll get 1-4, and hope we'll also get 5 and 6. Personally I'd toss out #2 and sub in a definite Snake if I was planning the DLC, but the evidence in favor of some Rhythm Heaven character being planned at one point makes me pretty confident Sakurai will at least attempt to revisit the concept for DLC, and Snake's got the whole Konami deal to put up with which is all kinds of hell right now.
Wild card would likely be Paper Mario based off of all reddit polls I've seen.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
If we're voicing our opinions, i'll take a crack at it:

Pre-ballot
1) Wolf. Do i even need a reason? Wolf's veteran status alone is enough of a reason to return him. Add to it that he was a semi in the same fashion Lucas was, and we've got a clear contender.
2) Rhythm Heaven rep. Having the RH symbol grouped with the character-based symbols and not the stage based ones, coupled with the fact that the Sneaky Spirit exists in Smash Run and the Gematsu leak tells us something was planned. Obviously that idea didn't come to fruition, but i think the series is popular enough in Japan to get something. Whether the Chorus Kids idea become Marshall, i'm sure many would just be happy having something from the series.

Post-ballot
1) K. Rool. I think this one's a no brainer, as far as guessing goes (but hey, Sakurai may feel differently). With his popularity in America as well as Japan, his rabid fans have been voting for him in spades. If we don't get him, i think people will without a doubt make a big deal.
2) Inklings. A new IP selling over 1 million copies is nothing to scoff at. Even though they got a trophy and costumes, those were planned presumably before the ballot was taken into consideration. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
4 Seems to me like the absolute maximum amount of DLC characters we'll get from here onward. Playing it safe....probably just 2.
4-5 post-ballot characters makes sense to me.

2) Inklings. A new IP selling over 1 million copies is nothing to scoff at. Even though they got a trophy and costumes, those were planned presumably before the ballot was taken into consideration. I wouldn't write them off just yet.
Splatoon sold over 1 million copies?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think Paper Jam will get Paper Mario some more votes but from my experience with following Kickstarters, most interaction with a project over a given, limited time period happens at the beginning or the end so the characters with the most chance are gonna fit in one of three categories

1. Popular when the ballot went up
  2. Popular when the ballot closes
  3. Silent Majority characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Can anyone tell me where I can find the most recent poll that has more than 1000 votes?
Don't take a reddit poll as gospel, but here it is:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3aiscy/rsmashbros_dlc_impressions_results/

Posted 5 days ago, over 2600 votes.

4-5 post-ballot characters makes sense to me.

Splatoon sold over 1 million copies?
Yup. Decided to use the Wall Street Journal as my source since I found the article title to be hilarious.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/24/nintendos-splatoon-sells-1-million-without-mario/

Did it in just a month!

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wait, wait a minute, let me check that definition for "several" again:
Several: more than two but not many

If that's what Sakurai referred to and isn't a bad translation, this has me very happy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As for characters we think (as opposed to wanting) here's my list, with 4a and b indicating the second choices in case of the first not making it (licencing is a tricky business that get Sonic Yoshis but no Pikachu ones.)

1. Wolf
2. King K. Rool
3. Issac
4. Snake
4a. Rayman
4b. A Namco/Sega/Capcom character

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
The year is 20XX. Smash 5 is on the horizon, and the Sylux vs. Ridley wars are raging. Purple Link has gone back in time and murdered every iteration of Link, boasting Ganondorf's power and confidence, giving him a new moveset in Smash with rad hair. It's at this point that AmSa has decided to main Fox, becoming God.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

We need a Purple Link spin-off.
To show what he did during these events.
Triforce Heroes and Four Swords are different- look at their hair color. The Triforce Heroes Links have Green, Red, and Blue hair, more reminiscent of the Oracles while Four Swords Links have blonde hair. 'S different.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Wait, wait a minute, let me check that definition for "several" again:
Several: more than two but not many

If that's what Sakurai referred to and isn't a bad translation, this has me very happy. :)
He used 数. Literally "number". Checking example translated sentences showed us that "several" was the most accepted translation. I kind of wanted to go with "a number of characters", but we ended up the more popular translation.

I need to go to sleep so we can practice tomorrow!

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Don't take a reddit poll as gospel, but here it is:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3aiscy/rsmashbros_dlc_impressions_results/

Posted 5 days ago, over 2600 votes.

Yup. Decided to use the Wall Street Journal as my source since I found the article title to be hilarious.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/24/nintendos-splatoon-sells-1-million-without-mario/

Did it in just a month!
I do find it hilarious that only 10 people out of that 2000 wanted more Mii Fighter costumes.

He used 数. Literally "number". Checking example translated sentences showed us that "several" was the most accepted translation. I kind of wanted to go with "a number of characters", but we ended up the more popular translation.

"A number" us even more vague than several lol. 2 is a number. So is 20.

50 more characters confirmed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still I'm pretty optimistic about the ballot now. If nothing else, this is good for a DK character (particularly King K. Rool). That's not to say that I am expecting 10+ DLC characters overall, but I don't think three or four ballot characters is outside the realm of possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I do find it hilarious that only 10 people out of that 2000 wanted more Mii Fighter costumes.

"A number" us even more vague than several lol. 2 is a number. So is 20.

50 more characters confirmed.
It's vague, so sorry we don't know how many will be made! We tried keeping it vague in English as well.

However his comment about not being able to keep the development team forever means it's totally less than 50 :p.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I could see those two characters show up before ballot, but wouldn't be surprised if they showed up after. Definitely a good interview though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom