• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hello there, allow me to introduce myself, my name is Nintenzilla, and I came here to learn more about the game's files, nice to meet you all!

D

Deleted member

If it is legal, I am willing to do an avatar bet that both Wolf and King K. Rool are added as DLC characters. If one or both fail to show up, I will change my avatar to whatever you guys want for a month. Anyone feels like stepping up?
Hello there, allow me to introduce myself, my name is Nintenzilla, and I came here to learn more about the game's files, nice to meet you all!
I remember you, I've seen you in the Bandanna Dee thread before. Anyway, please to meet you.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's vague, so sorry we don't know how many will be made! We tried keeping it vague in English as well.

However his comment about not being able to keep the development team forever means it's totally less than 50 :p.
Damn, only 49 characters? Sakurai I am disappoint.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Welcome, hope to see you often :)
ALSO I need to post this amazingness:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So how goes everyone here today?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
It's going to be fun getting to know you all!
It's vague, so sorry we don't know how many will be made! We tried keeping it vague in English as well.

However his comment about not being able to keep the development team forever means it's totally less than 50 :p.
I believe you're a very experienced data miner, so I'll ask you first. There have been many misconceptions regarding these files in the game's data, some people say they're reserved for 5 ballot characters, while others say that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu have taken them up already, while others say they aren't even placeholders, so I want to know what's already known about them and if any of the information I posted above is true or not. So please, if you will.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Don't take a reddit poll as gospel, but here it is:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3aiscy/rsmashbros_dlc_impressions_results/

Posted 5 days ago, over 2600 votes.

Yup. Decided to use the Wall Street Journal as my source since I found the article title to be hilarious.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/06/24/nintendos-splatoon-sells-1-million-without-mario/

Did it in just a month!
I love how Shrek is beating a good chunk of the characters in the "Who do you want to see the most?" section.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ok, guys, to avoid being confused, I just want to clarify stuff:

Does it imply it is impossible to get any preballot?

Does the word "several" has anything to do with having more than 2 characters?

Like, I'm a bit confused tbh.....

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
"K. Rool is a lock now as far as the ballot goes." - Radori on Gamefaqs.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72062655

This is exactly what I'm always on about, people are WAY too confident on K. Rool's chances.

It's not impossible to get more pre-ballot characters.

We simply don't know if it has anything to do with having more than 2 characters or not.

We're all just speculating.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
"K. Rool is a lock now as far as the ballot goes." - Radori on Gamefaqs.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72062655

This is exactly what I'm always on about, people are WAY too confident on K. Rool's chances.
I think his chances are among the absolute best, but the better thing to say at this point is that a Donkey Kong rep is a lock. Gotta thank Retro for that one, they pulled off the best possible revival a series could've gotten.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

It's all up to interpretation. There is no clear cut answer.

The word "several" suggests there's more than 2 left, but the part about "fan-service" suggests that the pre-ballot stuff is done. Can't really rule anything out. Nothing is set in stone.

I think his chances are among the absolute best, but the better thing to say at this point is that a Donkey Kong rep is a lock. Gotta thank Retro for that one, they pulled off the best possible revival a series could've gotten.
Retro has nothing to do with K. Rool's popularity.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
He's definitely got a chance. But he's VERY far from being a lock.

This is strikingly similar to what the fanbase did with Chrom and Sceptile.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Retro has nothing to do with K. Rool's popularity.
I think the revived relevance of the DKC series as a whole has helped sustain the fanbase. It's indirect, but I sincerely doubt Rool would be as popular as he is now of DKC went by the wayside like F-Zero or Star Fox had for years on end.

That being said, I think Dixie probably has a better chance at this point.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think the revived relevance of the DKC series as a whole has helped sustain the fanbase. It's indirect, but I sincerely doubt Rool would be as popular as he is now of DKC went by the wayside like F-Zero or Star Fox had for years on end.
I dunno. K. Rool has been a popular request since Pre-Brawl, and the fact that DK has been so neglected since Melee is probably the majority of the reason why people want K. Rool so badly.

A DK newcomer is the most glaring omission in this game (aside from various cut vets, of which a lot of people are split between various ones). K. Rool seems to be more requested than any of the Kongs purely because he's the most different DK rep we could have, and because a lot of people want more playable villains.

It's quite circumstantial.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai could very easily look at K. Rool winning the poll, go 'No, they're are currently no plans for him."

And instead offer Dixie Kong instead to appease DK fans.

The sad thing is they'd probably complain and whine and throw the more relevant character under the bus.

But have known all along Sakurai takes into consideration if the character has a future. And there's certainly nothing saying K. Rool will have a future out there.

For all we know? He's gone forever. Retired.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I dunno. K. Rool has been a popular request since Pre-Brawl, and the fact that DK has been so neglected since Melee is probably the majority of the reason why people want K. Rool so badly.

A DK newcomer is the most glaring omission in this game (aside from various cut vets, of which a lot of people are split between various ones). K. Rool seems to be more requested than any of the Kongs purely because he's the most different DK rep we could have, and because a lot of people want more playable villains.

It's quite circumstantial.
I guess. I just figure that K. Rool support might've died the same way Krystal did if DK ended up in the Mario spinoff Graveyard with nothing new to his game. You'd have "Series isn't relevant" posts, fans giving up hope as he gets no new rep, etc.

Also, revised viewpoint on Isaac now that I've had time to simmer on the thought process;

-His series is dead.
-He's not the protagonist of his series now.
-His series came out in an era that has sone of the scarcest representation in Smash character wise.
-His Assist Trophy was removed, signifying even more dwindled importance.

I don't really think his fanbase can save him, tbh. I want to see him because his fanbase has been bizarrely not-crazy, but I don't see it happening.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Yeah, he's one of the few characters who were popular pre-Brawl that remained just as popular (if not moreso) heading into SSB4.

Sakurai could very easily look at K. Rool winning the poll, go 'No, they're are currently no plans for him."

The sad thing is they'd probably complain and whine and throw the more relevant character under the bus.

But have known all along Sakurai takes into consideration if the character has a future. And there's certainly nothing say K. Rool will have a future out there.

K. Rool's absence in the DK series is his biggest obstacle by far, and I think too many people downplay just how big an obstacle it is.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Yeah, he's one of the few characters who were popular pre-Brawl that remained just as popular (if not moreso) heading into SSB4.
Ridley and Isaac being the only other two I can think of.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
In the same regard Dixie fans will probably also complain about K. Rool getting in.

I don't think Sakurai can win the ''New DK rep" game.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
It's going to be fun getting to know you all!

I believe you're a very experienced data miner, so I'll ask you first. There have been many misconceptions regarding these files in the game's data, some people say they're reserved for 5 ballot characters, while others say that Lucas, Roy, and Ryu have taken them up already, while others say they aren't even placeholders, so I want to know what's already known about them and if any of the information I posted above is true or not. So please, if you will.
Saw this went unnoticed, thought i'd tell you what's up. There were 6 slots with Mario's name thought to be DLC placeholders and they're currently being filled with Mewtwo, Roy, Ryu, and Lucas, which leaves 2 slots left. No one knows who's going into those slots yet. Also, welcome to our little family.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

The thing is, Sakurai doesn't care about "reps" nearly as much as the fanbase does, and I doubt his mind would go "I need to throw a bone to this fanbase because I ignored character A, so here's B" when we have many other choices from other games that could be considered. What would get Dixie in is her own popularity in the ballot, not because she was second banana to the King, if she's not deemed popular/notable/etc, enough, she's not going to get considered.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

But have known all along Sakurai takes into consideration if the character has a future. And there's certainly nothing saying K. Rool will have a future out there.

This is exacty why the Ice Climbers were put on a low priority according to Sakurai himself. There is a lot of precedence to think this could easily happen.

Hell. He could even do this exact same thing and use Cranky instead of Dixie. Cranky is popular with fans, and internally with Nintendo themselves. He's had just as much of a relevancy surge as Dixie, and he WAS the original DK after all.

Ridley and Isaac being the only other two I can think of.
The only thing with Ridley is that his following has all but disappeared for this ballot. At least compared to how it was pre-smash 4.

I think Bowser Jr was a fairly popular character both times too.

The thing is, Sakurai doesn't care about "reps" nearly as much as the fanbase does, and I doubt his mind would go "I need to throw a bone to this fanbase because I ignored character A, so here's B" when we have many other choices from other games that could be considered. What would get Dixie in is her own popularity in the ballot, not because she was second banana to the King, if she's not deemed popular/notable/etc, enough, she's not going to get considered.
She's already been deemed Smash worthy, she was nearly in Brawl.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Saw this went unnoticed, thought i'd tell you what's up. There were 6 slots with Mario's name thought to be DLC placeholders and they're currently being filled with Mewtwo, Roy, Ryu, and Lucas, which leaves 2 slots left. No one knows who's going into those slots yet. Also, welcome to our little family.
Thank you for giving me some more insight on what's going on! Also, glad to be here!

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
PushDustIn is asleep right now if I can recall, he lives in Japan with different timezones.
Yup, he's sleepin'. Dreaming about a new article he can write about, no doubt.
Well if that's the case I bet he'll respond later than. Hopefully I can get even more information from him that can help me understand more of what the story is! In the mean time, thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I don't really think his fanbase can save him, tbh. I want to see him because his fanbase has been bizarrely not-crazy, but I don't see it happening.
Seems like we've had very different experiences with Isaac supporters, then.

The ones I've seen over on GameFAQs before Smash 4 came out were bitter as hell and went out of their way to crap on Xenoblade fans.

The only thing with Ridley is that his following has all but disappeared for this ballot. At least compared to how it was pre-smash 4.

I think Bowser Jr was a fairly popular character both times too.
Ridley most definitely counts. The fact that his supporters remained undeterred after the infamous "Other boss character appearances" segment of Smash Direct aired is pretty much the prime example of how major the demand was. The only reason his following has all but vanished is because he's one of the only characters Sakurai has pretty much outright said "No" to publicly, and he already has a pretty big in-game role. He was popular up until the 50 Facts bomb dropped and even the most stubborn members of the Ridley camp had to concede.

To continue supporting Ridley (or any other in-game NPC for that matter....but him and Chrom especially) at this point is a pretty futile endeavor.

Bowser Jr is on a similar boat. His popularity remained the same, but his support plummeted after Rosalina was confirmed since most people assumed that was the end of the road for any other Mario newcomers. He probably would've remained a popular pick had he not had the rug pulled from under his feet so early on.

Then again, Rosalina was getting quite a boost from Nintendo at the time she was confirmed, so for all we know, people would've abandoned Bowser Jr and any of the other Mario hopefuls and backed her instead.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I remember a couple of vocal Isaac supporters being bitter about Xenoblade but the fandom as a whole seemed relatively quiet.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
She's already been deemed Smash worthy, she was nearly in Brawl.
That's not my point, I'm not saying she's not Smash worthy (though if I understand correctly, she was pretty low on the 'forbidden 7' list back in Brawl), I'm saying that if King K. Rool is not considered, she's not suddenly going to jump to playable to "fulfill" a DK rep slot. She either gets in on her own merits or she doesn't, she's not going to be playable just because King K. Rool was looked over and Sakurai wants to throw a bone to DK fans.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Fanbases are fickle things.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
The only pre-Brawl popular choices that i can remember that are still popular are K. Rool, Ridley, Isaac, and
Geno :troll:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai throws bones to fans all the time.

Why do you think there are even Mii Fighter costumes as DLC?

Most of which are based around popular characters like Isabelle, Inkling, Heihachi.

Don't act like Sakurai's never thrown a bone. He throws them all the time.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I guess. I just figure that K. Rool support might've died the same way Krystal did if DK ended up in the Mario spinoff Graveyard with nothing new to his game. You'd have "Series isn't relevant" posts, fans giving up hope as he gets no new rep, etc.

Also, revised viewpoint on Isaac now that I've had time to simmer on the thought process;

-His series is dead.
-He's not the protagonist of his series now.
-His series came out in an era that has sone of the scarcest representation in Smash character wise.
-His Assist Trophy was removed, signifying even more dwindled importance.

Won't matter. He is the Marth/Olimar of his franchise, being
  • The original protagonist of the biggest game in the franchise and the game that kick-started the franchise
  • The overall most important and iconic Golden Sun character, serving as the other "main hero" in Lost Age and also being a major supporting character in Dark Dawn with his spiritual successor in that game being an expy of him
  • By far the most popular choice within his franchise in terms of Smash demands and the only commonly requested GS character.
If any GS character is going to be in, he is by far the most likeliest, bar none.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Waluigi has been pretty consistently popular since Wario's reveal and Daisy got a boost latley. Both to "fill a gap" as Waluigi would complete the MvW bros and Daisy completing the princesses... as long as you count God as a princess. (Peach-Mushroom, Daisy-Flower, Rosalina-Star)

Well if the Mario series got the point that Dr. Mario could make it you'd have a hard time convincing the average Mario fan that they're favorite spin-off character has no chance.

Same logic applies to Sceptile "completing" a trio of elemental starter final forms.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Sakurai throws bones to fans all the time.

Why do you think there are even Mii Fighter costumes as DLC?

Most of which are based around popular characters like Isabelle, Inkling, Heihachi.

Don't act like Sakurai's never thrown a bone. He throws them all the time.
Yet we didn't get a Metroid 'rep' for SSB4, we didn't get a DK 'rep,' we didn't get a Grass starter or an ORAS 'rep,' and so on. We don't get representation, we get characters and Sakurai doesn't play by the rules of the fans when it comes to that. If a Metroid rep gets in, it's on their own merits, same with DK, same with a Grass starter, so on and so forth. He doesn't throw a bone to fans just because they want their series to be better represented, characters don't get favors, they either have their own merits or they're not playable (or they're quick clones, and I don't think people want that for Dixie).

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
That's not my point, I'm not saying she's not Smash worthy (though if I understand correctly, she was pretty low on the 'forbidden 7' list back in Brawl), I'm saying that if King K. Rool is not considered, she's not suddenly going to jump to playable to "fulfill" a DK rep slot. She either gets in on her own merits or she doesn't, she's not going to be playable just because King K. Rool was looked over and Sakurai wants to throw a bone to DK fans.
All of this is irrelevant as Dixie has popularity and all those other things necessary to be playable.

Yet we didn't get a Metroid 'rep,' we didn't get a DK 'rep,' we didn't get a Grass starter or an ORAS 'rep,' and so on. We don't get representation, we get characters and Sakurai doesn't play by the rules of the fans when it comes to that. If a Metroid rep gets in, it's on their own merits, same with DK, same with a Grass starter, so on and so forth. He doesn't throw a bone to fans just because they want their series to be better represented, characters don't get favors, they either have their own merits or they're not playable (or they're quick clones, and I don't think people want that for Dixie).
ZSS almost certainly exists as a bone for Metroid fans. She is the ONLY character in the game two get two different movesets.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
DLC is a whole different fan driven situation from the base game.

That much is clear. Sakurai has even said DLC is about pleasing the fans.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
All of this is irrelevant as Dixie has popularity and all those other things necessary to be playable.

ZSS almost certainly exists as a bone for Metroid fans. She is the ONLY character in the game two get two different movesets.
^ This. Sakurai doesn't think he can make Ridley work, so he gave us another version of Samus. After Samus and Ridley, who else is a reoccurring character? Dark Samus would've been a good bet, but do we really need 3 versions of Samus on the roster? Stylux could be a Smash 5 rep if he takes off after that Federation Force game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom