• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Hey guys, just put up a new post on Source Gaming! The Life of Sakurai, part I
It's a shorter, image version of a detailed timeline on Sakurai that @ PushDustIn PushDustIn is working on for the site.

I hope it came out well!

Also, the conversation has changed dramatically over the last couple pages. Wowee.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I dislike gen 3 the most out of Pokemon. XD
I've only played Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 5 and Gen 6 games. I have OR ready to start but haven't got around to it yet. Partly because I wanted to breed 6 shiny's before I started it and I only bred 4 of them so far.

Black 2 was the worst game for me, the only reason I enjoyed it at all was because I played it with some Shiny Legendaries that I generated.

I played a ton of Red, Blue, Yellow and Silver when I was a kid, and have put like 800 hours into X and Y on the 3DS.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
"Gen reps" are a made up rule/qualification with absolutely no basis behind it.

Pokemon seems to be the victim of this sort of thing often. It's no different than people saying we need "Type representation" after Greninja and Charizard were announced (Which resulted in the Sceptile theory).

They're all Pokemon. If the generation they originated in mattered, I don't think 6 out of 9 of the playable Pokemon throughout the Smash series would be from Gen 1.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's official, Wii U got hacked. We have custom music.

So long long until people start begging for a PM on Wii U despite the PMDT saying they weren't gonna do it
I just wanna know what that Master Core replacement is because it screams epic.

Oh, and how to do this.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I just wanna know what that Master Core replacement is because it screams epic.

Oh, and how to do this.
Kernel exploit:

You need to be on 5.3.2 or below in order for this to work (not the latest firmware, meaning no online).

It's not a full hack, but it may eventually lead to bigger hacks in the future.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Kernel exploit:

You need to be on 5.3.2 or below in order for this to work (not the latest firmware, meaning no online).

It's not a full hack, but it may eventually lead to bigger hacks in the future.
Well, that sucks since I'm at the latest version.

In that case I'll be content knowing what that Master Core music is.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
"Gen reps" are a made up rule/qualification with absolutely no basis behind it.

Pokemon seems to be the victim of this sort of thing often. It's no different than people saying we need "Type representation" after Greninja and Charizard were announced (Which resulted in the Sceptile theory).

They're all Pokemon. If the generation they originated in mattered, I don't think 6 out of 9 of the playable Pokemon throughout the Smash series would be from Gen 1.
That starter trio theory was really something I can't believe anyone even cooked up, let alone that it built up enough steam for it to be considered that Sceptile of all Pokemon was going to be playable in Smash Bros.

EDIT: LOL this is actually a thread right now on GFaqs

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/72049086

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I mean, I did by-gen representation to make things as "Clean" looking as possible. I'd prefer a long list of unique movesets/concepts and for an extended portion of Pokemon's history to be covered other than Gen 1. Gen 1's great and all, but there are countless Pokemon that'd be interesting in Smash from not Gen 1:

-Heracross
-Blaziken
-Grovyle
-Darkrai
-Froslass
-Deoxys
-Zoroark

And probably more.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
That starter trio theory was really something I can't believe anyone even cooked up, let alone that it built up enough steam for it to be considered that Sceptile of all Pokemon was going to be playable in Smash Bros.
It wasn't just the one theory, to be fair. It was a combination of having both Charizard & Greninja, but no grass starter, plus ORAS was coming out.

I don't think this is a good reason or anything, but it wasn't just purely a typing theory.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The representation thing when it comes to Pokemon is somewhat justify considering there are 4 Gen 1 reps, 2 other reps from the same Gen who was in the last game and the only plausible non-Gen 1 rep is a joke character clone

Even then, we have enough Pokemon reps and don't really need anymore unless it's something unique and different from the pack.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I can believe it.

We had the Trophy Quiz Theory and the Ridley shadow pop up at around the same time.

The representation thing when it comes to Pokemon is somewhat justify considering there are 4 Gen 1 reps, 2 other reps from the same Gen who was in the last game and the only plausible non-Gen 1 rep is a joke character clone

Even then, we have enough Pokemon reps and don't really need anymore unless it's something unique and different from the pack.
Smash series as a whole:
Gen 1: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur
Gen 2: Pichu
Gen 3: None
Gen 4: Lucario
Gen 5: None
Gen 6: Greninja

SSB4:
Gen 1: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Mewtwo
Gen 2: None

I don't see how that theory is "justified". There's more Gen 1 representation than there is 2-6 combined.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It wasn't just the one theory, to be fair. It was a combination of having both Charizard & Greninja, but no grass starter, plus ORAS was coming out.

I don't think this is a good reason or anything, but it wasn't just purely a typing theory.
Well really that's just the basis for people believing that he was going to be in. He was specifically chosen by fans to bandwagon just because ORAS happened to be coming out. Completely forgetting that he's never had any kind of significant popularity among Pokemon fans (unlike Blaziken who I loathe).

I actually really like Sceptile, he's one of my favorite Pokemon invented after Gen 1, but he really had no chance and people were stupid for considering him a lock. There's a difference between wanting something, and believing something. This is a case of the latter.

Burb

The Absolute Worst

It was a combination between a baseless theory (Starter Trio) and an annoying trend (<Character from upcoming game> CONFIRMED FOR SMASH, GAIZ!!!111).

The fact that it wasn't based solely around typing doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I couldn't disagree more with this. Every other Smash Bros game so far has had 1/6th of the roster dedicated to Pokemon, and they've always been on similar footing to Mario.

This game sees Mario with 3 more reps than Pokemon, and only 1/9th of the roster dedicated to Pokemon.

Considering it's versatility, popularity and sheer number of viable potential characters, we've got no where near enough Pokemon. IMO, Pokemon SHOULD have the most number of playable characters in Smash, even over Mario.

EDIT: Plus they're nearly always among the most fun and different characters in every Smash.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
The day Dragonite gets into Smash is the day I will stop caring about gen representation. (As if I already did.)

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I couldn't disagree more with this. Every other Smash Bros game so far has had 1/6th of the roster dedicated to Pokemon, and they've always been on similar footing to Mario.

This game sees Mario with 3 more reps than Pokemon, and only 1/9th of the roster dedicated to Pokemon.

Considering it's versatility, popularity and sheer number of viable potential characters, we've got no where near enough Pokemon. IMO, Pokemon SHOULD have the most number of playable characters in Smash, even over Mario.
Popularity isn't a good reason to give Pokemon more representation than Mario, given that Mario is more popular than Pokemon.

I agree with the other points, though.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

EDIT: Plus they're nearly always among the most fun and different characters in every Smash.
I believe that it should be on the same footing with Mario for reps but having more than each other is something I can't get behind.
But that's just me

I can believe it.

We had the Trophy Quiz Theory and the Ridley shadow pop up at around the same time.

Smash series as a whole:
Gen 1: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur
Gen 2: Pichu

SSB4:
Gen 1: Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Mewtwo
Gen 2: None

I don't see how that theory is "justified". There's more Gen 1 representation than there is 2-6 combined.
I just want a Gen 2/3/5 rep that isn't a damn clone of someone else. Seriously, Scrafty and Typhlosion would be great

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You see, this is why something like Pokken is great. We don't have to get at each other's throats about which Pokemon gets in because it isn't limited to a small selection.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Popularity isn't a good reason to give Pokemon more representation than Mario, given that Mario is more popular than Pokemon.

I agree with the other points, though.
I didn't mean to say that Pokemon was more popular than Mario, obviously that's not the case. I was merely using the popularity as a factor to say why it doesn't have enough characters. My opinion that it should have more characters than Mario was a separate point.

Plus we've got the fact that Mario's character selection is a lot more limited than Pokemon after all. There are about 3 or 4 more viable Mario characters without dipping into some real tertiary characters like Birdo or King Bob-omb.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Did you also know that Sukapon first appeared in 1983?
wait, where?
(also wouldn't that be like counting rad mobile as sonic's first appearance)

anyway yeah like other have said a lot of the choices feel too random, bland, and/or added for the sake of repping
but that's your taste so w/e

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I didn't mean to say that Pokemon was more popular than Mario, obviously that's not the case. I was merely using the popularity as a factor to say why it doesn't have enough characters. My opinion that it should have more characters than Mario was a separate point.

Plus we've got the fact that Mario's character selection is a lot more limited than Pokemon after all. There are about 3 or 4 more viable Mario characters without dipping into some real tertiary characters like Birdo or King Bob-omb.
In my personal opinion, I think Mario could get Paper Mario and/or Toad still on the roster and it would be ok. There's so many Pokemon, though, besides the vets, I'm not sure which ones would even be next in line. Pokemon feels pretty well represented right now. It helps that all of them have unique movesets.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
It's official, Wii U got hacked. We have custom music.

So long long until people start begging for a PM on Wii U despite the PMDT saying they weren't gonna do it
Yeeeesssss, I been looking forward to this happening, nothing I want more in Smash right now than to be able to put music of my choice in. Now hopefully it advances enough to be easily accessible.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
In my personal opinion, I think Mario could get Paper Mario and/or Toad still on the roster and it would be ok. There's so many Pokemon, though, besides the vets, I'm not sure which ones would even be next in line. Pokemon feels pretty well represented right now. It helps that all of them have unique movesets.
I think Waluigi as someone who has a moveset based on the sports titles is a must too. The sports titles are a very significant portion of the Mario franchise.

Pokemon feels pretty light to me. They should have at least 3 more characters on there (vets or no vets).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm gonna get real with you here, Aria of Sorrow is miles about SOTN.

Honestly, SOTN really hasn't aged all that well IMO.
Never liked Aria, tbh. It was very paint by numbers and the soul grinding was boring. To each his own.

Chrono.

I recently started playing Rondo of Blood and it's been pretty fun so far (been kinda slacking on it though).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I recently started playing Rondo of Blood and it's been pretty fun so far (been kinda slacking on it though).
It's not an easy game. The alternate paths are pretty fun, though. It and Castlevania IV are probably my favorite classic-vanias, although Casltevania I on the NES is one of those game that I play to completion every year or two. Castlevania Rebirth on Wiiware is also something I would recommend you check out.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Circle of the Moon, Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines are the best Castlevania games.

Also Persona 5 Hype

Chrono.

Circle of the Moon, Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines are the best Castlevania games.

Also Persona 5 Hype

That looks pretty hype.

I don't know if I'll get it though, while I liked P3/4's plot and characters, I absolutely hated the school/life simulator.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I finally got around to playing Smash Tour so I could get Pac-Land.

I gotta admit, the reward is pretty appropriate.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Also Persona 5 Hype

Circle of the Moon is underrated. The graphics were a bit muddled, but it was a nice blend of classic whip play with the exploration and RPG elements found in Symphony of the Night. The card system was interesting as well. The Sorrow games, on the other hand, are a bit over rated. The games had been reusing the same formula, and much worse, the same sprites, for far too long when they were released. The games also tried way too much to recapture the "magic" of Symphony, and they were waaaaaaaay too easy. CotM and Order of Ecclesia are my favorite portable Castlevanias because they very much had there own identity.

Also, I legitimately forgot that Portrait of Ruin was a game that existed until I googled portable Castlevanias a minute ago. That should tell you something about how forgettable that game was.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I finally got around to playing Smash Tour so I could get Pac-Land.

I gotta admit, the reward is pretty appropriate.
A particularly no-items-FD-Fox-only friend of mine just started playing SSB4 at work and was pretty ticked that he's going to have to do that to unlock the random stage switch. I don't hate the stage, but I can certainly understand the hate it gets, and the unlock method doesn't help.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Circle of the Moon is underrated. The graphics were a bit muddled, but it was a nice blend of classic whip play with the exploration and RPG elements found in Symphony of the Night. The card system was interesting as well. The Sorrow games, on the other hand, are a bit over rated. The games had been reusing the same formula, and much worse, the same sprites, for far too long when they were released. The games also tried way too much to recapture the "magic" of Symphony, and they were waaaaaaaay too easy. CotM and Order of Ecclesia are my favorite portable Castlevanias because they very much had there own identity.

Also, I legitimately forgot that Portrait of Ruin was a game that existed until I googled portable Castlevanias a minute ago. That should tell you something about how forgettable that game was.
I always preferred the classic styled more and the only SOTN styled game I've enjoyed was CotM and I'll give Order of Ecclesia a try due to how awesome it's artstyle is. Also I really enjoy Super Castlevania 4 despite the s*** it gets

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
A particularly no-items-FD-Fox-only friend of mine just started playing SSB4 at work and was pretty ticked that he's going to have to do that to unlock the random stage switch. I don't hate the stage, but I can certainly understand the hate it gets, and the unlock method doesn't help.
My biggest problem is the unlock.

I like Crazy Orders and HRC but I'm not too happy about Smash Tour (RNG Simulator 2015) or Master Orders (RNG Simulator 2015 Demo). The Single Player in this game is lacking.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I always preferred the classic styled more and the only SOTN styled game I've enjoyed was CotM and I'll give Order of Ecclesia a try due to how awesome it's artstyle is. Also I really enjoy Super Castlevania 4 despite the s*** it gets
OoE is interesting. It's level based with an over world map, for one thing, and Shanoa doesn't feel like an Alucard redux in the same way Soma does. It's a difficult game though. The boss battles are actually a bit of a challenge!

I'm a big fan of the classic games as well, and unlike a lot of fans I actually enjoyed the first Lords of Shadow game. The series was getting very stale at the time it was produced, and I have no problem with alt-universe reboots. It's unfortunate that the series kind of went off the rails after the first game, which did an excellent job of world building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom