• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Might as well join in?

Top Ten Favortie Games
Chrono Trigger
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Metal Gear Solid
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Megaman 3
Earthbound
Toe Jam & Earl
Super Metroid
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Blaster Master

Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably have a completely different list. I already want to add Guantlet and Secret of Mana to it; you have to give me genres or systems if you want a list that makes any sense. There are just way too many great games out there.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Historically, Japan has accepted gay relationships in the past but they were treated more like flings. Mostly in the form of senpai / kouhai "training" within the warrior/ upper classes. These weren't really serious relationships. Even though it was still expected to get married to the opposite Sex and have kids for the "good of society."
ah, yeah, it's the same with a lot of asian cultures i think
my (trans) girlfriend is from nepal and her parents talk a lot about finding a wife and having kids and stuff and she's like "yeah............"
they still do castes and stuff there in some capacity though. idk if that's as much of a thing in japan

i really need to play sotn and chrono trigger sometime

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Real quick:

Gay relationships in Japan :

Most people are actually opposed to gay marriage in Japan. However, people are far less open about being gay, and they tend to slide under the radar. There is a gay community, and such but it's not 100% mainstream. Transgender people tend to become performers (I had my first date with my ex at a transgender karaoke snack bar...). Transgender people tend to be the butt of jokes. I haven't heard of active discrimination personally, but being gay is still not 100% accepted.

Historically, Japan has accepted gay relationships in the past but they were treated more like flings. Mostly in the form of senpai / kouhai "training" within the warrior/ upper classes. These weren't really serious relationships. Even though it was still expected to get married to the opposite Sex and have kids for the "good of society."
That's interesting.

It's strange how open Japan is in some areas and then others it's more closed off.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
It needs to at least be on par with the Xbone/PS4 if it's coming out 3-4 years after the launch of those systems. We don't want another Wii U situation, where 3rd parties can play the "parity card" and not support Nintendo's new system when the new Sony and MS consoles launch.

3DS sales are subpar at the moment, so Nintendo can't rely on it to pick up the slack if their new console is a dud. It's a precarious situation, and Nintendo needs to launch a system with the right power, gimmick, and software at a reasonable enough price. They should also be looking into a 3DS successor if the NX is in fact not a hybrid.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.... hopefully there foray into the mobile market can help act as a buffer in this situation.
Well, I'm sure it will be more powerful than the Wii U, at least, hopefully around the standard of the Xbox One and PS4.
To be honest, I don't care if it is the most powerful console or not, I just want to play high-quality Nintendo games, that's all.

I never considered to buy a PS4 or Xbox, simply because there are little to no games on them that are in my interest.
And to buy a console just for having the console? This doesn't make any sense.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
That's interesting.

It's strange how open Japan is in some areas and then others it's more closed off.
Being in Japan you get very used to living in the gray zone.

Prostitution is illegal!
But you can find prostitutes anywhere on the street, and even get fliers that advertise it.
Don't even get me started on Soap Lands.

Gambling is illegal!
But Pachinko is okay. Just don't trade those marbles in for cash in the back alley. Or...we will be upset.

Other times in Japan you need to follow everything to the T. If you didn't fill out the 8th form correctly, you'll need to start all over again.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Still, it's the same with any country really.
We'll get riled up by some things, and ignore others.
I feel here in America it's so closed off for a country that is really about freedom and being open, you know?

We make things taboo that other countries do freely?

Especially in media and what not.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It needs to at least be on par with the Xbone/PS4 if it's coming out 3-4 years after the launch of those systems. We don't want another Wii U situation, where 3rd parties can play the "parity card" and not support Nintendo's new system when the new Sony and MS consoles launch.

3DS sales are subpar at the moment, so Nintendo can't rely on it to pick up the slack if their new console is a dud. It's a precarious situation, and Nintendo needs to launch a system with the right power, gimmick, and software at a reasonable enough price. They should also be looking into a 3DS successor if the NX is in fact not a hybrid.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.... hopefully their foray into the mobile market can help act as a buffer in this situation.
But that's the problem. They want to make it so that it's an affordable price, which pretty much means it'll probably be less powerful than the other two systems. This is why I think they'll push for better 3rd Party support and more software: to make up for the fact that it's less powerful. Besides, the fact that it's possibly a hybrid should be enough of a reason for more people to buy it.

It's a strange mindset they have, but somehow I think they'll pull it off.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I feel here in America it's so closed off for a country that is really about freedom and being open, you know?

We make things taboo that other countries do freely?

Especially in media and what not.
It's always been kinda funny with that. Over the years we've been sensitive with some things, and insensitive with others.
For example, back in the day the midriff was considered taboo. To the point to where the female navel was on par with the other naughty bits. And now we can get away with showing almost everything, if not more.

Edit: Reworded it because I is good at proofreading.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
ah, yeah, it's the same with a lot of asian cultures i think
my (trans) girlfriend is from nepal and her parents talk a lot about finding a wife and having kids and stuff and she's like "yeah............"
I don't see how the wife and kids parts would be too much of a problem, considering you yourself are female and her girlfriend. Maybe not the traditional set up they were thinking of, but still!

i really need to play sotn and chrono trigger sometime
I can not recommend those games enough, especially if you are a fan of the metroidvania and jrpg genres.

Both have also aged incredibly well considering the time periods they are from.

I'm going to go ahead and post the DS/PS 1 intro to Choro Trigger now, because I want to and none of you can stop me.

Such a memorable cast. It's always amused me greatly that the games stoic and noble knight archetype is also a frog. Ribbit.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I don't see how the wife and kids parts would be too much of a problem, considering you yourself are female and her girlfriend. Maybe not the traditional set up they were thinking of, but still!
ah. yeah. about that. i'm also a trans girl.
so!
also i'm white and for whatever reason they don't want her marrying outside of race
that discussion hasn't happened yet though so

i think i mostly haven't played sotn because emulation of stuff after fourth gen tends to be spotty
i should probably at least try though, because i know it's genre-defining (and i liked aria of sorrow)

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
so!
also i'm white and for whatever reason they don't want her marrying outside of race

i think i mostly haven't played sotn because emulation of stuff after fourth gen tends to be spotty
i should probably at least try though, because i know it's genre-defining (and i liked aria of sorrow)
Somehow i find it funny that theres a family thats ok with having a trans daughter but doesnt want them to marry outside their race, or is she not out?

i was about to say you could probably use a sperm bank or something, then i realised that wouldnt work.

i guess theres still the option to insiminate i guess though

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
so!

Ah, that sucks. I could see how the race thing could, unfortunately, be an issue. I also didn't want to push the notion of marriage onto you and your girl friend, lol. I was just speaking in the hypothetical, I swear!

True story, I had a friend back in high school that came out to his parents and introduced them to his boyfriend. Parents were honestly not surprised or upset in anyway that he was gay, but they were really upset he was dating a black guy.

Anyway... the easiest way to play Symphony of the Night is on the Xbox 360. It's $10 on Xbox Live Arcade and it plays like a dream. At this point you could likely borrow someones 360 to play it even if you yourself don't own one.

It's also available as part of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP if you happen to have that system. Several of the GBA Castlevanias are also available on the Wii U if you missed out on any of them... but Symphony is the king of those titles (in my opinion, of course.)

Somehow i find it funny that theres a family thats ok with having a trans daughter but doesnt want them to marry outside their race, or is she not out?

i was about to say you could probably use a sperm bank or something, then i realised that wouldnt work.

Plenty of ways for people to have kids, but I don't think that's the issue here, lol.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
yeah, she's closeted.
Plenty of ways for people to have kids, but I don't think that's the issue here, lol.
yeah; we're both relatively young, but neither of us have any interest in having kids, so
Anyway... the easiest way to play Symphony of the Night is on the Xbox 360. It's $10 on Xbox Live Arcade and it plays like a dream. At this point you could likely borrow someones 360 to play it even if you yourself don't own one.

It's also available as part of Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP if you happen to have that system. Several of the GBA Castlevanias are also available on the Wii U if you missed out on any of them... but Symphony is the king of those titles (in my opinion, of course.)
uuuuugh i have a 360 but it's so much work to set it up because i haven't used it in a long time

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm one of those weirdos whose favorite GBA Castlevania game is Circle of the Moon. I just really liked how it was NOT trying to copy Symphony of the Night. It felt much more like it's own thing as a result.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's hard to say but I have a feeling that the canon is kind of tossed out the window if this is a reboot (which is looking likely). But I can still see Krystal getting reintroduced in some way in the future.
I think they should introduce her in the next game with a role similar to Katt and Bill.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Or IVF... something like that anyway.

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I did it.

I made the best roster ever and meticulously organized it. Did you know that Balloon Fight's first appearance is an unspecified point in 1984 through the arcade? Did you also know that Sukapon first appeared in 1983? These are things I did not. Knowledge is power.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I can make up movesets for a good 70-80% of the newcomers here.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I did it.

I made the best roster ever and meticulously organized it. Did you know that Balloon Fight's first appearance is an unspecified point in 1984 through the arcade? Did you also know that Sukapon first appeared in 1983? These are things I did not. Knowledge is power.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I can make up movesets for a good 70-80% of the newcomers here.
>Best roster ever
>no Midna/Wolf Link
>no Anna
>no Excitebike
>no (insert various character names)
Reported for false advertising :troll:

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I do have Excitebiker. The moveset motivated me. Fun fact: Excitebike was released just over a week after Clu Clu Land in late November 1984.

I struggled with Zelda/FE reps. I'm not a big FE fan and Zelda has a plethora of usable and very unique characters, but I tried to go with a recurring one and a popular villain. I made a similar roster on GameFAQs some time ago and also got criticized for not using Anna on the FE section, so idk, swap Black Knight? Black Knight just aesthetically pleases me.

The idea of a huge sword user has always been a good one to me. Heavily armored, giant sword, etc. I wish we'd get one.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm gonna get real with you here, Aria of Sorrow is miles about SOTN.

Honestly, SOTN really hasn't aged all that well IMO.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I did it.

Needs more Sami,Pious,Sturm,Olaf,John Raimi, and Mr. Stevenson:grin: Emphesis on the first 3.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I did it.

In a roster with this many characters, Slippy and Peppy should be in.
-Ephraim
-Young Link
-Alph

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
In a roster with this many characters, Slippy and Peppy should be in.
-Ephraim
-Young Link
-Alph
It's kind of tough. I didn't know if I should represent existing franchises more or just throw in a lot of new series. There's no shortage of arguably disposable characters here, so I could switch around a few things. I didn't go for a third Link because I don't think he really represents anything except Majora's Mask, and imo Skull Kid is more important of a character to capture the spooky surrealness.

I didn't include Alph because I can't envision a scenario where Olimar, Louie, and Alph would have completely original movesets. Alph could be switched with Louie, though.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I did it.

No primid as a second smash rep, im disapointed /s

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
I did it.

The good:
King Boo
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Ridley
Bomberman
Inkling
Captain Toad
Chorus Men

The Bad/Too Random for me:
Heracross
Deoxys
Meleotta
Frogger
Octoman
Rawk Hawk

Just my opinion. For pokemon, there are way better choices especially.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Super Edge Bros.

Featuring, in no order:

-Pissed Mario
-Fierce Deity Link
-Kirby (Hungry Mode)
-Coldsteel The Hedgeheg
-Shadow the Hedgehog
-Kratos
-Scorpion
-Sasuke Uchiha
-Eren Yaeger
-Goku
-Ichigo

don't tell me you wouldn't buy that

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's kind of tough. I didn't know if I should represent existing franchises more or just throw in a lot of new series. There's no shortage of arguably disposable characters here, so I could switch around a few things. I didn't go for a third Link because I don't think he really represents anything except Majora's Mask, and imo Skull Kid is more important of a character to capture the spooky surrealness.

I didn't include Alph because I can't envision a scenario where Olimar, Louie, and Alph would have completely original movesets. Alph could be switched with Louie, though.
Yeah there's no way even with the 100+ characters you've got there that you'll please everyone, frankly Alph is more Smash appropriate than Louie as he's headlined his own game.

I think YL should be on there as you've got every other veteran on there.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
The good:
King Boo
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Ridley
Bomberman
Inkling
Captain Toad
Chorus Men

The Bad/Too Random for me:
Heracross
Deoxys
Meleotta
Frogger
Octoman
Rawk Hawk

Just my opinion. For pokemon, there are way better choices especially.
The idea with Pokemon representation was to give at least 1 rep for every generation.

But tbh I can't think of many choices for a fighter better than Deoxys. I think that's one of the biggest missed opportunities in the Smash series. Tons of moveset potential, could be incredibly unique, looks very distinct, and it represents the most underrepresented generation in the Smash series.

Octoman and Frogger are bias. I probably should have Quote or some other third party over Frogger and tbh F-Zero could use almost any character as a fourth rep. Octoman, Pico, and Deathborne would be my top picks, but it'll never happen even if the series is revived. I can imagine Goroh in the next game if F-Zero's rebooted, though.

I'd actually be okay with an F-Zero fighter that used the Smash Bros engine. The character designs are so memorable and original that it's a shame they haven't been put to use.

Rawk Hawk was originally Dimentio. Paper Mario has way too much to choose from so I went with the real "fighter" among the group, but you could probably fit in Dimentio just as easily.

That's a great idea, tbh. I can actually imagine it: Moveset based heavily on Smash original-items.

Last edited:

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
The idea with Pokemon representation was to give at least 1 rep for every generation.

But tbh I can't think of many choices for a fighter better than Deoxys. I think that's one of the biggest missed opportunities in the Smash series. Tons of moveset potential, could be incredibly unique, looks very distinct, and it represents the most underrepresented generation in the Smash series.

Octoman and Frogger are bias. I probably should have Quote or some other third party over Frogger and tbh F-Zero could use almost any character as a fourth rep. Octoman, Pico, and Deathborne would be my top picks, but it'll never happen even if the series is revived. I can imagine Goroh in the next game if F-Zero's rebooted, though.

I'd actually be okay with an F-Zero fighter that used the Smash Bros engine. The character designs are so memorable and original that it's a shame they haven't been put to use.

Rawk Hawk was originally Dimentio. Paper Mario has way too much to choose from so I went with the real "fighter" among the group, but you could probably fit in Dimentio just as easily.

That's a great idea, tbh. I can actually imagine it: Moveset based heavily on Smash original-items.
Dimentio would fit better I think, moveset could easily be one of the funnest ever, plus it allows intergration of Super paper mario specific concepts, an d to keep mario specifically traditional paper mario.

And Primid would be fun i think, especially if its face chaged every time you played, like the real ones

EDIT: also, i really hope the villains from uper Paper Mario would return in a future game atleast, because they are really good characters and tones of fun, or atleast Count Bleck, Dimentio, Blecks assistant and MiMi are, i dont think i can remember the others (im pretty sure there was a strong one, who dimentio too over, although i think that was his entire point, so he wasnt necessarily supposed to be memorable)

Last edited:

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade

Hm, I think Pichu is enough to rep Gen II personally.
For Gen III, Deoxys is an ok choice (I just personally don't like it very much), other than it Gardevoir would probably be a good choice for a Gen III seeing how popular it is (if even sometimes for the wrong reason *shrugs*).
For Gen V I think Zoroark would be a much much better choice than Meleotta, it would have a better moveset potential (it could camo other pokemon in some of its attacks) and was a mascot for G V.

Goroh I could also see happening if F-Zero gets a new game.
Mr. Ead would alos be could for some silly comical relief and sports a Mario star.

Lastly, I would totally pick Dimentio over Rawk Hawk!

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I don't get why there needs to be multiple Paper Mario characters.

It's not its own series. It's a Mario spinoff. It's got the Mushroom logo for its stage in the 3DS version.

What's wrong with this? If people are worried about not getting perma'd.....maybe they should just not post inappropriate crap?

I find it pretty funny that people are whining about E3 in the comments section. Funny and a bit sad. :facepalm:

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'll never understand all this "Gen rep" nonsense. Every Pokemon from Gen 1 is in Gen 2 and so on.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'll never understand all this "Gen rep" nonsense. Every Pokemon from Gen 1 is in Gen 2 and so on.
Same here. Plus, some of the gens aren't as noteworthy as the others. 1st gen is the most important as it created the phenomenal. Some of the generations are weaker compared to the others, and without the remakes would've been somewhat forgotten. Plus, they don't take one character from every game in any other series. Why would they do it for Pokemon?

EDIT: Happy 2,000 post! Thanks everyone <33

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I don't get why there needs to be multiple Paper Mario characters.
I just think the nature of the series (how many characters there are and their movesets) calls for more than one on a gargantuan roster.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Same here. Plus, some of the gens aren't as noteworthy as the others. 1st gen is the most important as it created the phenomenal. Some of the generations are weaker compared to the others, and without the remakes would've been somewhat forgotten. Plus, they don't take one character from every game in any other series. Why would they do it for Pokemon?

EDIT: Happy 2,000 post! Thanks everyone <33
Exactly, a lot of people complain that the Pokemon reps are heavy on "Gen 1". But of course they are, most of the most iconic Pokemon were created at the start of the phenomenon.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's official, Wii U got hacked. We have custom music.

So long long until people start begging for a PM on Wii U despite the PMDT saying they weren't gonna do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom