• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

We interrupt this program to bring you a special report!

For those who do not know and for those of us itching to play as :ultpiranha: it seems he is now a super-heavyweight and has a better dash speed. I just noticed this morning when I lurked the Competitive Character Impressions 2.0 thread earlier.

Before:
Weight - 94/Dash Speed - 1.12

After:
Weight - 112/Dash Speed - 1.82

He is heavier, faster, and hopefully stronger too. Count me in the Piranha Plant crew!

We now return to our regularly-scheduled social.

Sayonara :kirby:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
NEW BACKSTREET BOYS
NEW BACKSTREET BOYS

Ura Ura it’s pretty good, it’s definitely much more country but it’s not surprising.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Replaying AW1's Advanced Campaign and Sami comes in with the most deepest quote.

No wonder why people want her so much in Smash lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Did Shish like hack the thread title or something?

Because if so, I need to know how he does it...for scientific reasons.

D

Deleted member

It's good we have such a just mod taking care of this thread.

Anyways, I've been trying to catch up on Bungou Stray Dogs and, like, I love this manga, I really do, but I have a hard time following all these twists and turns with so many characters to keep track of.

Like, turns out this borderline background character whose only purpose until now was to stand next to other two slightly more relevant characters once or twice is actually a government spy and one of the most powerful character in-universe who wants revenge against one of the main characters because she's the reason his brother killed himself 14 years ago.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Got further along with Mega Man 11. Tundra Man's stage isn't too bad outside of the very last segment where the wind and ice floors are real crazy. I bought some Beat Calls to deal with it and still lost a life. Then like two attempts later, I pull it off with no help. Torch Man's stage was pretty fun, showed some neat mechanics with the Fire Walls(it was still pretty hard), Torch Owls lighting certain areas, and those Mushroom dudes who heat the grills.

I got Blast Man and the Wily Stages left. We're almost there boyz.

Can I just say how much I hate boss fights where you have to wait out what ever it is the boss does only to have an attack window of like 3 seconds.

I mean... The Plant is likely on February.
Yeah, those can be kind of tedious. Depending on how long the invulnerable phase is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
In my tv binge-watching, I have finished both Sherlock and One-Punch Man. Here is my review on both shows. You'll soon find out if I would recommend either of these to you all; in the case you haven't seen either yet.

I have no idea how to feel about this series. After watching four seasons of this extremely popular show, here is how I would best summarize it: it's a tale of two halves. The first half has much promise and is a thrilling crime drama that gets my blood going in the best ways. The second half is a shoddy soap opera that gets infuriating with it's unbalanced character development and questionable storytelling decisions. It's one of the series that I have the MOST conflicted feelings about because I think it was going in an excellent direction, but it ended up falling apart for me, and if it just ended with season 2 and Sherlock actually died, with having an epilogue dedicated to finishing the storylines of the remaining characters...I think I would've liked that a lot more.

Let's get the negatives out of the way first: the biggest problem I have with Sherlock is that character development isn't balanced between all the cast members. As said before, Sherlock and Moriarty are exalted to the point where the showrunner, Steven Moffat, seems absolutely obsessed with the two characters. On the other hand, everyone else is thrown by the wayside (John Watson, Mycroft), killed off too early (Mary Watson), or just doesn't work for me at all (Irene Adler). Still not sure which group I'd put Sherlock's secret sibling in his sister into, but most of these characters could've used much work. I think Sherlock has some excellent development in parts, going from a cold functioning sociopath into someone who can still be cold but shows that he cares about his family and peers quite a bit. However, there are two key weaknesses with him: his edit is too large, taking away potential that other characters had from developing...and also the drug addiction issue. What is the point of making Sherlock a drug addict? I'm not sure what Moffat was going for with making Sherlock into a drug addict after Moriarty dies, but I can't remember a time when it actually significantly developed Sherlock's character. It COULD have been a good plot device to develop Watson, but Watson doesn't get nearly as much focus as he should've during the course of the show. I can see signs that Watson was meant to be an accountability partner for Sherlock, but Watson isn't shown enough on screen to leave as much significant impact on me as he should've.

With Moriarty...I'm speechless. I HATE what happened with this character. There's a good amount of wasted potential and/or mishandling with Moriarty. Moffat tries to make him important with having him be involved with Sherlock's sister, but what was the point? Did he have any motive? Because all I gathered was that he was randomly obsessed with Sherlock and was "crazy." Sherlock's sister, Eurus, I thought was a significantly better villain than Moriarty because she has a motive: being jealous of Sherlock and his childhood friendships. Not only that, but Eurus I found to be a lot more threatening than Moriarty. Moriarty came off as a rip-off of Heath Ledger's Joker: wanting to watch the world burn (or Sherlock's world burn, rather) just because. The reason why the Joker works though and Moriarty doesn't is that the Joker is properly written. Moriarty isn't. Moriarty is set up as this incredible criminal god of a being who the show has some obsession with...when really he's just a crazy guy and yet we've seen this plot before. Eurus was a much better villain and should've been given more screen time, while Moriarty's edit should've been toned down so he becomes more believable. Or, if you ARE going to show him on screen as much as possible, don't kill him off at the halfway point through the series! It would've been better suited to have him and Sherlock face off in the finale with the large edit he got. Either have Moriarty survive until the end or make Eurus the main villain instead...don't do the in-between thing like what actually happened on the show.

I already talked about the other characters. They aren't given enough screen time to leave any impact on me, which is very sad.

So, the main negative is that the cast of characters is filled with wasted potential and frustration. I may hate slow plot pacing, and I'm a stickler for plot pacing...but the one thing I hate more in a show or a movie more than plot pacing...is mishandling of characters, especially when said characters are closer to plot devices than actual characters.

The storytelling I have less of an issue with, because if the characters were better written, I think a better story would've followed suit. There are quite a few interesting plot points throughout the story, with Moriarty being this puppet master and the secret sister and everything. Along with that, the individual mysteries within each episode are normally thrilling to watch and I love what they did with showing the inside of Sherlock's mind and processes and HOW he thinks while solving mysteries...it gives the character a lot more intrigue. However, while they did many things right with the story, the storytelling has one critical error that sours the entire batch for me: turning the crime drama show I loved in season 1 and almost the entirety of season 2 into this melodrama that's disguised as a crime drama. Some of the tropes are straight out of a soap opera: dead characters seemingly coming back to life but actually not coming back to life, characters faking their own death, drug addiction, relationship scandal that really doesn't ever amount to anything powerful or significant, long lost siblings...you get the picture. The problem with all this is that it takes away realism from the show. Mystery thrillers in the present day aren't going to be as realistic as a brilliant show like "The Wire", but the show could at least stay consistently grounded...which it doesn't do. It becomes a completely different show after Moriarty shoots himself...the very final scene of season 2 is where the show jumps the shark and becomes frustrating to watch for me. That is the single moment when BBC's Sherlock died for me.

What's the most tragic thing about this show is that the first five episodes are brilliant! I also quite enjoyed the Christmas special for the most part because it served as a callback to the original stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. However, when Moriarty shoots himself...the show falls apart for me. Seasons 3 and 4 don't have mystery solving as the main heart of the show, and instead melodrama becomes the main focus of the show instead. Some plot points are tied up in the end and explained, so things could be worse...however, seasons 3 and 4 (and Moriarty shooting himself) killed my love for the show. While I will still definitely admit that seasons 1 and 2 are definitely worth the watch...it's best that you stop at John Watson standing at Sherlock's fake grave, praying that Sherlock is still alive.

It's a shame because I didn't want to rant about Sherlock, but I think I need to explain my criticisms in as much detail as possible because I fear being looked down upon for criticizing a show that's extremely popular.

To summarize:
  • Characters: Weak. How the characters are written leaves me angry.
  • Story: Half-and-Half. Half of it is amazing, the other half is terrible.
  • Aesthetics: Great. Show is shot well and acting is superb. It's a shame the other 2 categories brought down the final product.
  • FINAL SCORE: 5/10. I can't recommend the entire show in good conscience. Only watch the first half, please.

With my Sherlock rant over, let's talk about One-Punch Man...one of the better anime on Netflix.

This is a great show. It helped me relax after fighting through Sherlock seasons 3 and 4. I love how the superhero genre is turned on its head and given subversion throughout the series. The two main characters couldn't be any more different and are both very likable and interesting. The minor characters along the way are a little interesting, but I hope they get a little more focus in the upcoming season 2. I can't complain too much though since the first season is only 12 episodes, and season 2 is set to premire in April. The story has a simple yet interesting premise, and I'm sure that many have struggled with their own purpose in life and what they want to do with their lives...which makes Saitama quite relatable. I will say though that my favorite character is Genos, since I have a lot of ambition in life and I love to learn, similar to him.

Since there's only one season of this show, there isn't much to talk about so I'm going to jump right into the summary:

• Characters: Good. Two mains are very well-written. Hoping to see a little more out of the minor cast in season 2. However, character writing is excellent so far.
  • Story: Amazing. This story has a simple premise and yet feels unique all on its own with how it subverts superhero tropes in the best ways possible.
  • Aesthetics: Pretty decent. Animation is average by anime standards. The voice acting is quite good overall.
  • FINAL SCORE: 8/10. It's not a show that leaves a profound impact on me emotionally...but dang, it is very well-written. Give it a shot when you can.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So I wonder do you guys think brave is actually not meant to be the code name but hero is?

If so that doesn’t scream dragon quest to me. It could still be but wouldn’t be a definite proof of it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So I wonder do you guys think brave is actually not meant to be the code name but hero is?

If so that doesn’t scream dragon quest to me. It could still be but wouldn’t be a definite proof of it.
Kamen Rider Brave, an RPG themed hero with an armoured knight aesthetic, uses the power of Taddle Quest, so that makes a lot of sense for Dragon Quest.

Then again his other important forms are literally Cecil Harvey so idk

D

Deleted member

Brave and Hero are the same word in Japanese so it's likely either a wordplay from the programmers or someone just took the first result from Google translate

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Also brave weighs 101 pounds according to the game data.

Wonder red definitely confirmed now boys.

come on Nintendo, just do it!
That'd actually be pretty great. Which is why it won't happen. I'd like to be wrong though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Kamen Rider Brave, an RPG themed hero with an armoured knight aesthetic, uses the power of Taddle Quest, so that makes a lot of sense for Dragon Quest.

Then again his other important forms are literally Cecil Harvey so idk
Brave and Hero are the same word in Japanese so it's likely either a wordplay from the programmers or someone just took the first result from Google translate
I know that it comes from the same word which is why I was asking if maybe they meant hero instead of brave when translating it since people figure that this was a mistake in translation. Which I could see. I think we will see the second fighter regardless in this months direct

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
There's no such thing as abuse of power when it's used to spread such an important public service announcement. :p

I guess it's appropriate for the work of a ninja to go unnoticed?
Opo gets all the blame if the topic title is no good. :p

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
K, let me this straight.
Joker and PP have their names untraslated (jack and pakka) but we are talking about "brave" being translated.
So "brave" could come from "bureiburu" instead.
From Bravely Default.

*grasps straw tightly*

The pun doesn’t work when her last name is pronounced differently than oblige.
It works because I said so :V

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I don't know why, but I keep thinking "Brave" might relate to Yuri Lowell, but that's just the hopeful in me and is mainly a fun guess.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Is it possible for someone to explain to me the connection between SMT and Persona? It's been confusing me for a while now.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So I get to take the praise for good ones like this, then? :p
I made it better with 'Deluxe'. 'Deluxe' is a cheap way to make anything better. Kind of like on The Price is Right when someone bids $2001 after someone bids $2000. Deluxe is just a +1.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
>MatPat got called out by Toby Fox

wtf I love Undertale now

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Been playing Pokémon rejuvination.

Weird story so far but eh I like everything else.

One thing I found kind of neat is this one town. The whole basis for it is that the town is xenophobic due to outsiders seemingly leading to a great fire that destroyed their town.

Thus the people really hate outsiders now. It’s kind of a neat story idea for what’s just another town even if there is a gym here

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is it possible for someone to explain to me the connection between SMT and Persona? It's been confusing me for a while now.
MT: The Thing before the Thing.
SMT: The Thing.
SMT If: The spinoff of the thing.
Persona: The separate series and canonical continuation of the spinoff of the thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom