• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 6.0 - L'Arachel Edition, Apparently?

Best Galar Starter?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Warchamp7 Warchamp7
Uploader's broken for the first time this year
Tbf Verge claimed an SE rep would be the first dlc character shown which didn't happen so I can at least understand that
You really should have followed the thread. The debate was still up in the air before the 5chan leak, it was an all way war. DQ was considered by some, including myself, the most likely(I mean, three names in that list had to mean something) but others insisted the three being listed was blatant leakbait.
Then came the 5chan leak, PolarPanda, Verge and every other insider jumped on it and said "yeah, it's Erdrick" but since people aren't known for believing #chan leaks, many doubted the certainty they all had continued to insist Erdrick wasn't it and that he was leakbait because "the company who kept all their other guest fighters a secret wouldn't let this slip out!", some even believed the entire list was leakbait and the character was someone else entirely.

It was hell, people simply didn't want to believe Erdrick was in and I kept having flashbacks to Incineroar.
A lot of it was ignoring the fact said list wasn't made by Square and that they aren't playing 4D chess with obsessed fans. Also the whole "DQ isn't popular, no one knows about DQ in the west!"

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If his info was good, Erdrick may just have been the furthest along in development.

Joker wasn't in a playable state by the time of the Game Awards - hence the animated teaser - but he may have been revealed first to throw Vergeben faithful off the trail. For Erd, we may get gameplay footage instead.

That's a lot of devil's advocating and straw grasping for a cause I ain't much for, but I guess it'd at least explain some things.
I was under the impression that Joker was revealed first because Nintendo told him to reveal Joker at the VGAs, and that's about it.

D

Deleted member

Unlike what most people believe, Nintendo has never changed their Smash schedule to try to "throw leakers off their trail". Even less so this time around considering every fighter has their own number and ordering so when and how they would be revealed has been set in stone for, at the very least, a few good months by now.

D

Deleted member

Also the whole "DQ isn't popular, no one knows about DQ in the west!"
I tend to find that statement ironic, since DQ8 was ported to the 3DS because of Western demand.

DQ may not be at the level of FF in America, but it is dumb to say that it isn’t/wasn’t popular or that nobody knows the franchise.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I was under the impression that Joker was revealed first because Nintendo told him to reveal Joker at the VGAs, and that's about it.
There's a decently-sized rabbit hole of speculation on management's motives there. It's not incompatible on its face.

Still got better things to do than go down it (like eating) and smart money says whatever motivation they had is unrelated to leaks, but hey.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
There's a decently-sized rabbit hole of speculation on management's motives there. It's not incompatible on its face.

Still got better things to do than go down it (like eating) and smart money says whatever motivation they had is unrelated to leaks, but hey.
I would probably put money on it not being related to the leaks but it's not like anyone of us would actually ever know a thing like that.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Joker was revealed first exclusively because he's the first dlc character, not to throw off leakers or anything else. To think otherwise is baffling.

D

Deleted member

Hadn't heard anything of it till now.
The code of the game has the DLC data of three characters, one is the Plant, the other is Jack (Joker because of Jack Frost) and the last one is Brave.

Many people expect that one to be a DQ rep, maybe Erdrick or Hero/Eight.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

People datamined Ultimate and those 2 characters are in the files. Jack is Joker and Brave is pretty much guaranteed to be Erdrick from Dragon Quest 3
There are clues in regards to Brave that could point towards Hero/Eight from DQ8 too.

Erdrick is the most popular prediction, doh.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
pretty much guaranteed
rare nonsarcastic post time but i'm doubling down on this not at all being the case

if it is, great, i would like the Erdrick, but i meaaaan...

"Pretty much guaranteed" is a pretty dangerous thing to say for something that isn't at all guaranteed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

rare nonsarcastic post time but i'm doubling down on this not at all being the case

if it is, great, i would like the Erdrick, but i meaaaan...
>Be me.
>Love DQ8.
>See the stuff around the DQ rep.
>A lot of the posts making you see the idea of Hero/Eight getting in likely.
>You are in a rollercoaster of emotions.
>You want this to end to stop it.

Me right now.

Erdrick is the Cloud of Dragon Quest. It'll be him.
Yeah that’s true.

Although Eight has some kind of Western appeal

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
at me when DQ ends up being totally unrepresented in smash

also at me if i end up being wrong because that's hilarious and being afraid of being wrong is for losers

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There are clues in regards to Brave that could point towards Hero/Eight from DQ8 too.

Erdrick is the most popular prediction, doh.
****. You know this whole time a hadn't even considered Eight but yeah, I think that might be who we are getting from DQ.

Erdrick would be preferable though. He's actually got a name.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
****. You know this whole time a hadn't even considered Eight but yeah, I think that might be who we are getting from DQ.

Erdrick would be preferable though. He's actually got a name.
Erdrick is a title, though. Unless you mean the name the manga gave him :p
Hence why I insist on saying "the Erdrick" instead of "Erdrick". That, and I've been lowkey timing how long it would take someone to go "ackshually!!!" like I just did

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Even though I think Brave is probably a DQ hero I don't really buy that one leak.

Why would Master Chief be a costume for Steve when Miis are right there? Why would Nintendo of Japan go for Doomguy when Doom is virtually non existent there? Also the whole "Steve was gonna be in the main game but got pushed back for DLC" makes no sense given Joker only just started development. Nothing about Hayabusa jumps out at me so I'll leave him alone.

The list seems plausible, but I'm not ready to believe it.
Yeah, the Steve bit is what really throws me off with that leak. I could give everything else a pass for one reason or another (ex. Doom was recognized by Sakurai, so he could've pushed for it), but Steve 'being in the base roster but cut' doesn't make sense based on what we know about the datamine and how Sakurai has gone about his negotiations for Third Party character. While I could believe that Steve is DLC considering how big Minecraft is, that bit sounds more like someone piggybacking off of Vergeban's Minecraft information considering how much he pushed for base game content from the franchise.

Last edited:

segillav

Smash Apprentice
In a hypothetical scenario where the leak is actually true, Joker was probably revealed first because he'd be the most interesting for the Game Awards audience out of the 5 characters.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Yeah, the Steve bit is what really throws me off with that leak. I could give everything else a pass for one reason or another (ex. Doom was recognized by Sakurai, so he could've pushed for it), but Steve 'being in the base roster but cut' doesn't make sense based on what we know about the datamine and how Sakurai has gone about his negotiations for Third Party character. While I could believe that Steve is DLC considering how big Minecraft is, that bit sounds more like someone piggybacking off of Vergeban's Minecraft information considering how much he pushed for base game content from the franchise.
That's what I'm leaning toward, myself. I think the 5ch thing is just someone piggybacking off the other stuff that was rumored over the course of December. Everything mentioned under Joker and Erdrick have already been suggested by other sources first, and we've heard rumors of potential Minecraft content for a while now.

What has me most skeptical are the claims of the thought process behind them. All five DLC choices being made for the sake of cross-promoting upcoming third party games? Sounds more like something a fan would assume must happen. Steve being originally planned for the base roster, but pushed back just for the sake of using him to advertise Minecraft Dungeons? Definitely the kind of thing that sounds like a fan thing. Especially with the lack of anything Minecraft-related in the data, and Sakurai's tendency to cram as much content in his games as possible. What are the odds that he'd even sign off on deliberately choosing to push a character back for DLC, much less for the sake of a cynical advertising ploy?

And even the whole "nothing but third parties" thing feels iffy. There're reasons why other fighting games don't go overboard with guest DLC.

I dunno. The 5ch thing doesn't sit right to me, and I don't like how parts of the community have decided it must be true without putting it under any scrutiny first. I'm especially concerned of if this becomes the next Gematsu Leak and gains a zealous following that harasses anyone who questions them.

Then again, I've picked up this tendency to be completely wrong about every major prediction I've made as of late, so I may have just DOOMed us all, so to speak.

Well...nice to get this out of my system, at least. Maybe I can sleep better now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That's what I'm leaning toward, myself. I think the 5ch thing is just someone piggybacking off the other stuff that was rumored over the course of December. Everything mentioned under Joker and Erdrick have already been suggested by other sources first, and we've heard rumors of potential Minecraft content for a while now.

What has me most skeptical are the claims of the thought process behind them. All five DLC choices being made for the sake of cross-promoting upcoming third party games? Sounds more like something a fan would assume must happen. Steve being originally planned for the base roster, but pushed back just for the sake of using him to advertise Minecraft Dungeons? Definitely the kind of thing that sounds like a fan thing. Especially with the lack of anything Minecraft-related in the data, and Sakurai's tendency to cram as much content in his games as possible. What are the odds that he'd even sign off on deliberately choosing to push a character back for DLC, much less for the sake of a cynical advertising ploy?

And even the whole "nothing but third parties" thing feels iffy. There're reasons why other fighting games don't go overboard with guest DLC.

I dunno. The 5ch thing doesn't sit right to me, and I don't like how parts of the community have decided it must be true without putting it under any scrutiny first. I'm especially concerned of if this becomes the next Gematsu Leak and gains a zealous following that harasses anyone who questions them.

Then again, I've picked up this tendency to be completely wrong about every major prediction I've made as of late, so I may have just DOOMed us all, so to speak.

Well...nice to get this out of my system, at least. Maybe I can sleep better now.
I am open to any option.
If the leak is true, i like the characters. If it is fake, then i can campaign for Crash more.

People shouldn’t take any leak as the truth, and at the same time we shouldn’t take down any character as a ““Leaker bait””.

Balance is all we need, alongside an open mind.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Joker was revealed first exclusively because he's the first dlc character, not to throw off leakers or anything else. To think otherwise is baffling.
now I wish I was thinking such a thing...I wanna baffle

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
In an attempt to mitigate my feelings on an anime Smash Bros (which I talked about earlier in the Smash Ultimate discussion thread), I made a 30-man roster that I feel best represents anime/manga/light novel history and provides a strong variety in unique characters. I might expand more later. Characters are ordered by debut.

Edit: Cursed broken images. ;_;
Link to image is here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwFV4HxWkAAs1Qu.png

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
So...
-Joker
-Erdrick/Hero
-Ryu Hayabusa
-Steve
-Doomguy

Not exactly impressive from just the names, besides Ryu, but Smash does have the chance to impress with the movesets. Ryu Hayabusa may seem like an oddball here, but part of the reason I'm willing to believe he has a chance is due to Fatal Frame being in Smash and having an Assist Trophy. Sure, they're from the ones that Nintendo have a copyright over as well, but they still would've had to have been in touch with Tecmo.

Last edited:

Chrono.

I'll say the one thing that sucks about DQ is the music is going to absolutely get gutted.

We're getting like 2 ****ty MIDI compositions.

And this is from a franchise where we get like 5 songs per game.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also brave weighs 101 pounds according to the game data.

Wonder red definitely confirmed now boys.

come on Nintendo, just do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom