• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 4 - Bring It In, Guys!

When, if ever, do you plan on buying the Switch?

• At launch

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Late spring/summer

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • During the fall/holidays

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • Sometime after 2017

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Not until [insert game here] is released

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • I'm not getting that bucket of turds!!

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
On pessimism: It's easy to find negativity online, especially post a big event like the Switch presentation. That being said, no amount of that should take away any genuine love you may have for particular game/character/piece of media/whatever.
also no one sees being pessimistic as being smart
They are pessimistic because things rubbed them the wrong way, they arent trying to act smart for sure

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not even sure I'm going to have the money at the time to buy the switch

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
When was the last time you got a system on/near launch?

Last time my family did was with the PS2, and we bought Tekken Tag Tournament. I think I might have gotten the GBA near launch, and again, I got that Tekken Advance game.

With most other things, I ended up waiting a while.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm not even sure I'm going to have the money at the time to buy the switch
That's another thing with me when it comes to the Switch.

I don't even have the money for it not too mention i'm going to need money for other things in my life like moving out later this year. The Switch not having certain games I wanted is more reason for me to not buy the console.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Last time my family did was with the PS2, and we bought Tekken Tag Tournament. I think I might have gotten the GBA near launch, and again, I got that Tekken Advance game.

Only system I bought on launch was Wii U

That was a great investment!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Well for me...

GB/C: 2000
N64: 2000
GBA: 2002-2003
GCN: 2003
PS2: 2003
NDS: 2008
Wii: 2008
PS3: 2010
PS Vita: 2013
Wii U: 2013
3DS: 2013

None of which was close enough for launch.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Cynicism =/= Realism. That's something many people don't realize.

A weak launch won't kill the Switch. Now, if sales don't pick up by the holidays, I'd say there's a bit more cause for concern, but for now I don't see it as too big of an issue.
I was to some degree mocking that thought process with that line, I know I'm being irrational and just can't seem to put on the breaks since this is me essentially catching up on an entire generation of negativity in a single day.

I would hope it picks up, but with impressions being as terrible as they are I get a bit worried.

Y'know you don't need to beat yourself up for what others think.

If you like what you saw then you should be happy for what's coming.
Paid online was for me the way a mainline Fire Emblem game in the presentation probably would have been for you.

Other than that I'm mostly just scared that the system doing badly means I'll never see most of the IPs I like again as Nintendo pulls out of the console business and reduces their output to just the Big 3. And I was hoping there would be a fair bit more first party I wanted than just three likely guaranteed games and a maybe with all but one coming out well after launch.

I remember reading this in 2016... 2015.... 2014.... 2013.... and so on.
I want to be reassured by past history, but today is a day more negative than the past two years combined and the past two years have already been horrendously negative on their own. Hopefully I'll bounce back at some point, but hearing that over and over again is part of why I've been gotten to with this in the first place.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
While some of us are growing pessimistic... I'm strangely growing optimistic. I mean, I'm not overly optimistic, but even despite all of the mistakes Nintendo's made with the Switch, I feel like they may actually pull through despite that.
... This feels like a bad idea, but screw it, I'll ride the optimism train for once.

:094:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
As someone who's probably more in the negative end about this...

I don't get why you guys are scrambling around looking for places that are "positive" about the whole thing.

People have different perspectives. Not everyone is gonna be happy about it, and quite frankly, the majority of people have no reason to be anything more than indifferent to what we saw today.

But you know, it doesn't have to be all negative for you guys who want more positivity. If you really want more positivity, just do something you enjoy. It's really that simple. Assuming you guys really are Nintendo faithful and don't buy other systems, indulge in their rich history that is sure to bring you a smile, rather than worry about their future.

Really, it's Nintendo's job to do that, not any of ours.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Closest for me was the 3DS, got it on Christmas about 9 months after it was released.

Every other console I've gotten was already out for at least a year.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Paid online was for me the way a mainline Fire Emblem game in the presentation probably would have been for you.

Other than that I'm mostly just scared that the system doing badly means I'll never see most of the IPs I like again as Nintendo pulls out of the console business and reduces their output to just the Big 3. And I was hoping there would be a fair bit more first party I wanted than just three likely guaranteed games and a maybe with all but one coming out well after launch.
Yeah, i'm bummed out by paid online because Nintendo was the only company that had free online and now all 3 companies are charging for it now. I feel you there.

Nintendo has a crap ton of money that they could fail over and over again and still keep on going. I doubt they're ever going to leave the console market. Besides, I feel like the Switch is going to have a lot of success despite my hesitance to buy the console. The 3DS started off very dull but became one of Niny's most successful systems. I can't even see this system selling less than the Gamecube.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I got Bingo
2017-01-13 14.22.07.png

Surprised at no Miis, wonder if they're gone for good. I hope not because I actually liked them.

Also, answering the poll:
>300 bucks(multiply that by 6 and you get the probable price in Reais)
>Paid online
>Probably won't be avaible in South America
>Still no way to buy stuff from the EShop
>****ing gimmicks please stop
>No games worth outside FE Musou and XC2
>Literal middle finger to Wii U owners

So yeah, unless it completely replaces the 3DS and mainline Pokemon and FE games get released on it, I'm not buying it for a good time.
I still hope Nintendo realises that merging handhelds with home consoles doesn't exactly work and makes a proper new handheld because that I'd buy

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I will not be purchasing the Switch.

Not because lack of good launch games, poor marketint, lack of interest, preference to other consoles, or Nintendo's current business model.

I just simply don't have the time or money to spend on playing games anymore :/. Last time I actually picked up a game and played a game for more than 30 minutes (save for a week of borrowing Pokémon Sun and moon from a friend) was like back in September.

Still, I liked what I saw and looking forward to seeing more things unveiled for it. I thought for a first Nintendo direct, it gave us some good news and information. I was especially excited about no region locking - that needs to b a thing of the past.

Odyssey looks like a Mario game I made a looong time ago during the 64 era. I remember drawing maps of the levels during study hall in middle school. The levels were based on real world locations like NY, Tokyo, London, the Amazon, and Egypt. And Mario could transform to fit those environments.

However, I was disappointed in a lack of Skyrim news though. I have it on PS3 but I'm just excited about the precedent it brings. Bethesda makes great games that i have always enjoyed so I am looking forward to seeing other Bethesda IPs included in future Nintendo Platforms.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Gotta be honest; I have a feeling that the Inklings are a guaranteed lock in for Smash if we ever see the game or the port (depending on which path Nintendo decides to take it).

Them appearing in a brand new game AND the Mario Kart 8 port is evidence enough for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The only systems I bought at launch were the PSP (yes, the big fat 1000 model) and the old 3DS. They're both good handhelds, but I remember regretting not waiting for their revisions, especially the latter.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Oh yeah, I got Bingo
View attachment 124873
Surprised at no Miis, wonder if they're gone for good. I hope not because I actually liked them.

Also, answering the poll:
>300 bucks(multiply that by 6 and you get the probable price in Reais)
>Paid online
>Probably won't be avaible in South America
>Still no way to buy stuff from the EShop
>****ing gimmicks please stop
>No games worth outside FE Musou and XC2
>Literal middle finger to Wii U owners

So yeah, unless it completely replaces the 3DS and mainline Pokemon and FE games get released on it, I'm not buying it for a good time.
I still hope Nintendo realises that merging handhelds with home consoles doesn't exactly work and makes a proper new handheld because that I'd buy
out of curiousity, what was the 50%off! space for?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wonder if they release the Switch in different colors

Hoping for Midnight Purple or better ...Atomic Purple!

D

Deleted member

out of curiousity, what was the 50%off! space for?
It was the free space
So instead of putting "Free!", I used the Abridged series name "50% Off!"
It's like this pun only I'll get here because I'm the only one that watches it but you should totally check it out

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Yeah, i'm bummed out by paid online because Nintendo was the only company that had free online and now all 3 companies are charging for it now. I feel you there.

Nintendo has a crap ton of money that they could fail over and over again and still keep on going. I doubt they're ever going to leave the console market. Besides, I feel like the Switch is going to have a lot of success despite my hesitance to buy the console. The 3DS started off very dull but became one of Niny's most successful systems. I can't even see this system selling less than the Gamecube.
Hah, yeah, the 3DS did start out pretty bad and still bounced back. If they respond to reception with a price cut, I can see the system picking up around the holidays with Mario since that combination brought the 3DS up.

. . .My optimism trying to poke through means I'll probably just melt again in a few hours. Ah well.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I'm not going to buy the Switch on release. That's all I can say for now. I just bought an Xbox One and there is still some games I'd like to get for it, like Fallout 4 and GTA 5.

EDIT: Can we add, "Unsure" to the poll? I'm sure some of us aren't ready to make a decision.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Gotta be honest; I have a feeling that the Inklings are a guaranteed lock in for Smash if we ever see the game or the port (depending on which path Nintendo decides to take it).

Them appearing in a brand new game AND the Mario Kart 8 port is evidence enough for me.
I don't like using the term "shoo-in." Especially in regards to Smash.

But the Inklings are the closest thing to a shoo-in Smash has. If they're not in the Smaah 4 port, they will most certainly be in the next new installment.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I was to some degree mocking that thought process with that line, I know I'm being irrational and just can't seem to put on the breaks since this is me essentially catching up on an entire generation of negativity in a single day.

I would hope it picks up, but with impressions being as terrible as they are I get a bit worried.

I want to be reassured by past history, but today is a day more negative than the past two years combined and the past two years have already been horrendously negative on their own. Hopefully I'll bounce back at some point, but hearing that over and over again is part of why I've been gotten to with this in the first place.

How about you grab your router and turn it off. Take a break of the internet, because the opinions of others are too much influence for you, or simply ignore those sites and let time do its thing.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
It was the free space
So instead of putting "Free!", I used the Abridged series name "50% Off!"
It's like this pun only I'll get here because I'm the only one that watches it but you should totally check it out
lol I do watch 50% off:088:
Thugisa ftw
You could say it went something like that.
I lost it understadu

I feel like Ive seen this picture before tbh

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hah, yeah, the 3DS did start out pretty bad and still bounced back. If they respond to reception with a price cut, I can see the system picking up around the holidays with Mario since that combination brought the 3DS up.

. . .My optimism trying to poke through means I'll probably just melt again in a few hours. Ah well.
I was thinking more among the lines of BoTW helping pushing the system at launch and then games like Mario, Pokemon, Xenoblade, and FE Warriors pushing it in the Holidays. Then there's always E3 which I suspect will be filled with games to carry the system in to 2018.
How about you grab your router and turn it off. Take a break of the internet, because the opinions of others are too much influence for you, or simply ignore those sites and let time do its thing.
Hey, chill out dude. All she's doing is just expressing dissatisfaction over something. No need to say that.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I don't like using the term "shoo-in." Especially in regards to Smash.

But the Inklings are the closest thing to a shoo-in Smash has. If they're not in the Smaah 4 port, they will most certainly be in the next new installment.

Meh; you make a point, especially after what happened during the last Smash Direct. However, many can agree that they are the closest to being defined as a shoo-in.

I'm still wondering on whether the next Smash is a port or a brand new game entirely anyways. If it's the latter, we'd be receiving it in Winter 2018 as one guy said here.

Speaking of which; if Andy got into Smash Bros., Ura Ura , would you somewhat forgive Intelligent Systems? :p

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
You could say it went something like that.

Now I need to envision how this scenario went down.

Iwata: Dammit Chiko go to the cash register now!

Chiko: Please Iwata! I don't want to buy a Wii U!

*pulls out gun*

Iwata: Don't you care about your family Chiko?

Chiko: (sobbing) Okay okay i'll buy a Wii U!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

lol I do watch 50% off:088:
Thugisa ftw

I lost it understadu

I feel like Ive seen this picture before tbh
I love the internal conflict in Haruka's mind with all the different Harukas. It really is one of my favorite abridged series. :p
Too bad it's ending but at least there'll be Yaoi on Rocks from the same channel
Quoting and replying to everyone here. There's a world outside. :4villager:
A world outside of what? There's only one world, the world where everyone is a bunch of 1s and 0s and insult each other for liking or disliking things

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I want ye bucket of turds on day 1; but my economy will not allow it to get it until summer I think.

D

Deleted member

Quoting and replying to everyone here. There's a world outside. :4villager:
The world isn't gay enough for me though.

Plus, I am outside... It's boring, there's no people arguing over things that ultimately don't matter. :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Speaking of which; if Andy got into Smash Bros., Ura Ura , would you somewhat forgive Intelligent Systems? :p
**** I didn't see this before.

Yes, I would and I would give Sakurai all my babies if that happened. I would also have an Etika-like reaction to Andy's reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom