• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Arguing that which game has aged more is irrelevant considering both games aged like fruit.

Both have designs that hurt the game and their level progression is the worst in their respective series.

The Legend of Selda and Metroid are games you gotta realize that those games get better as the series progress.
Even then most NES games haven't aged well at all
(Hi Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and Mother 1)

And that's why the original 1985 Super Mario Bros. is the greatest video game ever made because it aged like fine wine and can be still played perfectly without a lot of issues.
Punch Out NES is perfection, don't even pretend like it isn't.

Chrono.

NES Kid Icarus had a bizarre difficulty curve.

I swear the game gets easier as it goes along.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Personally, I believe how well a game holds up comes down to subjectivity. Sure there's going to be elements that can and will show their age (a great example is graphics), but often stuff like gameplay and the like tend to be more on the opinionated side. A good example is Super Mario Bros 1. Now for some it's aged great, and for others it's worn some holes over time (like in repetition). Or Zelda 1: Where for some it's too confusing to navigate, but others say that's its charm.

There's no right answer or wrong answer, it's more what one thinks can be excused or not.

D

Deleted member

Let's talk about how some non-Nintendo games aged
Final Fantasy?
Castlevania?
Mega Man?
Something else?
I was going to make a 3 paragraph rant on why Punch-Out has aged great but I think this express everything I had to say

NES Kid Icarus had a bizarre difficulty curve.

I swear the game gets easier as it goes along.
It's because ot's awkward not difficult ;)
Once you get used to weird as **** physics/jumps and you stop falling down instakill pits it is suddenly very very easy :p

(only NES game i've ever beaten I think)

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's fin and great but I sure as hell ain't saying it's better than its sequels where it does a much better job.

Don't get it twisted, I love the NES game but acting like it's not nostalgia sometimes and just general opinion blocking out the issues need to get it checked out.
Just because Iron Mike Tyson is in the game doesn't make it superior.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Let's talk about how some non-Nintendo games aged
Final Fantasy?
Castlevania?
Mega Man?
Something else?

I was going to make a 3 paragraph rant on why Punch-Out has aged great but I think this express everything I had to say
I would say Sonic, but the Classic aged better then the Modern.

Slightly joking there.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Punch Out NES is those type of games people REALLY overestimate how great they are.

It's really slow, fights are actually much more BS than Super or Wii and it just doesn't feel as arcade like.

Wii doesn't require you to keep your star punches throughout each match where it resets after each match, the moments of stun lock. I get really upset when people say the NES game and the Wii game are the same when the Wii game has elements from ALL games.

Especially considering how getting star punches are much better in Wii without being easy. Also the gimmicks aren't that great IMO.

The game is still great but the sequels are much stronger titles. Especially Super Punch Out which is the true remake of the arcade games
Truthfully, this just sounds like you haven't played it. There's no 'BS' to the fights. They're completely 100% consistent, they same strategies will work the same way every single time, and every attack has enough cues to avoid, even Iron Mike's, so you're never put in a position where a fight is unfair. All it takes it quick reflexes. And almost every fight can be won in the first round, so they don't take very long, either. The Wii fights take much, much longer, so I don't see how you can call the fights slow, or use it as an example of how the sequels are better. And not once are you ever required to use a star punch to win, so what this: "Wii doesn't require you to keep your star punches throughout each match where it resets after each match, the moments of stun lock", I've no idea.

D

Deleted member

It's fin and great but I sure as hell ain't saying it's better than its sequels where it does a much better job.

Don't get it twisted, I love the NES game but acting like it's not nostalgia sometimes and just general opinion blocking out the issues need to get it checked out.
It can't be nostalgia for me because I played it last year
And it can't be Mike Tyson either
*shrug emoticon*

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I've beaten Kid Icarus

I forgot how I've even managed to breeze through 75% of the game after the 2nd level on my 5th or so try at the game, but I just did. Then I went to replay it and I'm just as bad as I was the first time I played the game :/

The Gameboy sequel is pretty cool by the way. I recommend it.
Kid Icarus isn't hard, it just has a stupid difficulty curve. The hardest sections of the game, by far, are the vertical sections. The game starts you off with those for some reason.... once you get past them the game is much easier and more enjoyable. I'm actually a pretty big fan of the game.

I've been wanting to collect more Master System games. I have a Sega Genesis with a Master System to Genesis cartridge that allows me to play them on the Genesis. It's seriously great! What are affordable Master System games worth looking into?
Can't really go wrong with any of the Alex Kidd or Wonderboy games. Phantasy Star 1 is a must (although I think it's much more expensive than it used to be), it aged much better than pretty much any other JRPG from that time.

Last edited:

Soul.

The moment I say "Zero Mission" makes me remember that it's not on VC.
Well it's on Wii U but like.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
When I say Punch-Out is perfection, I mean it literally. It's the perfect game. You play it, and it's hard. Real hard. But it plays by the rules. The controls are simple, and intuitive, so it's not hard because you're fighting the controls, like so many other NES games. It's not random, so you're not fighting the RNG. It comes down to reflexes, and memory. It's fair.

It's a hard game that can be crushed under foot, demolished like it's nothing, if you just learn the pattern. People actually play it blindfolded now.

The Wii game is fun, certainly, but it's far less rewarding.

The NES game has one flaw, and one flaw alone. Little Mac's trunks spontaneously change color when you win a match.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It can't be nostalgia for me because I played it last year
And it can't be Mike Tyson either
*shrug emoticon*
It's more of I meant that people believe the NES game is better because of Tyson and Tyson only when Title Defense Sandman on Wii craps all over him.

Even then, the only reason I said the NES game aged was because the other games just did it better. That's all. People just assume that aged=bad.

joetherocker

Smash Apprentice

I first played it in 2012 without Inmate Mike Tyson in it, so nostalgia doesn't factor into my appreciation of it. I honestly do like it a lot (A LOT) more than Super, but I'd say Wii is about equal for me.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I wasn't able to get past the 2nd level of the 2nd world in Kid Icarus. If I had the patience I know I'd be able to to beat it eventually.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I think the only game I would like to see be remade is Cave Story for the Wii U. Doesn't require any additional fluff, but it's gotta be not as disappointing as the 3DS remake.

But if it did have fluff, I would hope for new stages, bosses and weapons. Maybe some additional story content, so long as it remains tied with the original story.

Something I saw in the 3DS version was a customizable hat, so mayhaps more hats? :4villager:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
When I say Punch-Out is perfection, I mean it literally. It's the perfect game. You play it, and it's hard. Real hard. But it plays by the rules. The controls are simple, and intuitive, so it's not hard because you're fighting the controls, like so many other NES games. It's not random, so you're not fighting the RNG. It comes down to reflexes, and memory. It's fair.

It's a hard game that can be crushed under foot, demolished like it's nothing, if you just learn the pattern. People actually play it blindfolded now.

The Wii game is fun, certainly, but it's far less rewarding.

The NES game has one flaw, and one flaw alone. Little Mac's trunks spontaneously change color when you win a match.
I feel like the Wii game is just as if not more rewarding. I understand the NES had that old-school hard mentality but the color and advancement Wii had was incredible.

Take the Minor Circuit, you fight in a small arena with maybe a hundred people and you are just getting your bearings. Then you go to the Major Circuit and you get a change of scenery in the arena and clothes, you showed that you've gotten stronger and the opposition has as well.

Title Defense is perfect that way as well, you go through the those same opponents who have now learned all of your tricks and have to outsmart them again with your fast and precise punches.

The boxers also show characteristics they didn't have in the NES game, look at Aryn Ryan and Don Flamenco. Mac's Last Stand has that progression as well, as you get older, you come to terms that tour time is up and you try to go out with a bang even beating the first member of the DK crew while at it. And after you lose 3 matches the whole profile locks you out and you can't access it because it says you've retired and shows that to you.

You underestimate the Wii game so much and others as well. Next Kevel Games did it better than Nintendo's inner development centers

Control and gameplay wise is much more defined with better options for offensive and defensive strategies like real boxing. Like for example Little Mac being able to duck and avoid punches.

The gameplay designs its self well around those mechanics and gives you a challenging run. Title Defense mode made players actually lose to Glass Joe because he learns your tricks ad brings some of his own to the table.
And what makes it better that it gets lot harder from here

That's challenge, the perfect storm of epic duels against the boxers who STILL underestimate you and you're the champ.

Plus the ability of Second wind gets me into that in the zone ZEN MODE that the NES game will never touch.

Sorry vaanrose, while the NES game is perfect, the Wii game game is God's gift to gaming is the only reason why I still have my Wii

My favorite punch out title is Super Punch out. I desperately want to see Masked Muscle and Narcis Prince come back.

I'm a weirdo I know

As it turns out I was on stream for like an hour in the background because I was behind the main setup. whoops

D

Deleted member

I wasn't able to get past the 2nd level of the 2nd world in Kid Icarus. If I had the patience I know I'd be able to to beat it eventually.
Can I just say it's thanks to your avatar that I rembered I have to watch Rick and Morty?
I think the only game I would like to see be remade is Cave Story for the Wii U. Doesn't require any additional fluff, but it's gotta be not as disappointing as the 3DS remake.

But if it did have fluff, I would hope for new stages, bosses and weapons. Maybe some additional story content, so long as it remains tied with the original story.

Something I saw in the 3DS version was a customizable hat, so mayhaps more hats? :4villager:
I don't think Cave Story needs to be remade
I played the 3DS E Shop version and it felt just right
I don't want something like the artstyle of Cave Story+ or the 3DS remake *shrugs*

Also, the hats aren't customizable
The color pallete depends on the difficult setting
Though one time, both Quote and Curly got a weird pallete with red eyes for one day on my game and I never figured out what it was...
Brb, gonna write a spooky ravioli

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I think Cave Story just works best as a sprite-based game. IDK. I feel the idea of making it 3D kinda took away the charm a bit. It's kinda like taking Shovel Knight which is a throwback to NES games and remaking it into a 2.5D HD game.

I wouldn't oppose to such a remake though. Tho the 3DS remake looked like butts.

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I think Cave Story just works best as a sprite-based game. IDK. I feel the idea of making it 3D kinda took away the charm a bit. It's kinda like taking Shovel Knight which is a throwback to NES games and remaking it into a 2.5D HD game.

I wouldn't oppose to such a remake though.
I agree with you. Whether or not they go with a "Super NES" style or something, good old fashion detail sprite animation can never go wrong.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I literally started the splatfest with 4 connection errors in a row and 2 losses. It's like I'm destined to lose Splatfest matches.
Edit: Now it's up to 13 connection errors. send halp.
Edit 2:Forget it. I'm going to bed. Not even sure if I want to play Splatfest again after what happened today.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
My favorite punch out title is Super Punch out. I desperately want to see Masked Muscle and Narcis Prince come back.

I'm a weirdo I know

As it turns out I was on stream for like an hour in the background because I was behind the main setup. whoops
I love the SNES game as well. Super fun and faster as well.

I love the Super punch there than the NES game.

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
trying to play smash in for glory but cannot conect due to " server maintenance " im i mission something or is just a minor server maintenance?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I don't think Cave Story needs to be remade
I played the 3DS E Shop version and it felt just right
I don't want something like the artstyle of Cave Story+ or the 3DS remake *shrugs*

Also, the hats aren't customizable
The color pallete depends on the difficult setting
Though one time, both Quote and Curly got a weird pallete with red eyes for one day on my game and I never figured out what it was...
Brb, gonna write a spooky ravioli
Now wait one moment, I never said it needed to be remade, I said I would like for it to be remade. And not all of us have a 3DS, hence why I'd like for it to be re-released for the Wii U. Also yes. In a form, there was customization. The Prinny hat, which is why I thought of the possibility. I wasn't speaking about the difficulty palettes, my mistake.

Though I agree with the majority in that the nostalgic graphics of Cave Story did give the game a unique charm, however recreating the world of Cave Story with today's graphics gives it a feeling of freshness that, in a way, is nostalgic to veteran players. Something Punch Out Wii and Halo Anniversary did.

I would kill to play Cave Story again. It's still my all time favorite game, but I don't have the consoles, or PC, required to play it. Which is mainly why I want it either remade or re-released on the Wii U.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Found a nice response to the "Is Wolf a Shoo-in?" article:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3o4v7k/sourcegaming_is_wolf_a_shooin/cvu1x0l

Sooo what is everyone doing now?
That was pretty meh, honestly.

This guy has way too much stake in the promotional theory. Even if it did happen with stages and a Mii Costume (and it's debatable whether that stuff was put in for the sole purpose of marketing; everyone assumed Roy was put into Melee to advertise Binding Blade, when in actuality, Sakurai picked Roy after being shown the game), it has never happened with characters on the roster. And there's been a lot of examples of people making predictions that didn't pan out based on upcoming releases. Upcoming releases are probably the single most commonly used basis for character predictions.

Star Fox Zero's release isn't even the first time people have made a guess like this for Wolf himself; people swore up and down that we'd be getting Wolf at E3 after the Star Fox reveal trailer.

Warning. Tired rambling. feel free to skip this post.

I just redrew the same . . .let's call it a branch. . .over and over again for the past half hour because it just didn't look right. half an hour. it is 1:30 in the morning. This isn't even something important, it's a freaking avi. What am I doing? I'm ****ing happy it's over but damn, WHY did I do that to myself.

worst part is it was just the freaking outline of it. Not even colored. I'm just that bad. I need sleep:upsidedown:

Last edited:

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM

Burb

The Absolute Worst
In fact, now that I think about it......character DLC has pretty much done the opposite of the marketing theory.

None of the four current characters have any upcoming or newly released games to advertise. Mewtwo's latest significant role was X/Y (which already has plenty of in-game representation), the next Street Fighter is a PS4 exclusive, Roy's probably never going to be anything but an extra with no story importance in the Fire Emblem series ever again, and the MOTHER series ended.

Last edited:

Chrono.

In fact, now that I think about it......character DLC has pretty much done the opposite of the marketing theory.

None of the four current characters have any upcoming or newly released games to advertise. Mewtwo's last significant role was X/Y (which already has plenty of in-game representation), the next Street Fighter is a PS4 exclusive, Roy's probably never going to be anything but an extra with no story importance in the Fire Emblem series ever again, and the MOTHER series ended.
Guess that means Isaac and Rool are up next :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom