• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think the idea of a map that fills as you go along (with no hand holding to find the next dungeon) would be ideal. Or perhaps (something less accessible) is drawing out your own map with the bottom touch screen as you play along the game would be cool. (Maybe that could be a "Hard Mode" feature?).

Personally, the only things they need to change in Zelda 1 are:
-respawning in the overworld with full health or at least 50% of it because it sure is a pain to refill it completely
-visual hints on movable blocks and other secrets so that it doesn't become a guessing game
-darknut op pls nerf

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

Personally, the only things they need to change in Zelda 1 are:
-respawning in the overworld with full health or at least 50% of it because it sure is a pain to refill it completely
-visual hints on movable blocks and other secrets so that it doesn't become a guessing game
-darknut op pls nerf
I've been sort of interested in EO for that reason. It's not the same genre as Zelda, but it's nice to see more games encouraging that style of mapping.

And can they nerf the Wizzrobe? That enemy is the bane of my existence and why I haven't beaten the 6th dungeon yet. lol

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
By the way,Golden Axe Warriors on the Sega Master System is an objectively better 8-bit game than Zelda 1 due to the polish. It's just also, you know, a blatant clone.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
Could never get into Zelda 1. I could also never get into Metroid, with it being my least favorite out of the games (Zero Mission is basically the game I go to anyway). I've actually noticed there's a few of the old Nintendo franchises where I could never get into the first game. Earthbound Beginnings might just be another one of those games (If it didn't have random enemy encounters and also an actual map, I would find the game alright).

So many games that I have to do and finish, yet I just don't know which to continue. Just finished Mother 3 and also Cave Story today. I have Earthbound Beginnings, Resident Evil, Jax and Daxter 2 and 3, the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, and I want to get Mario Maker and the MGS HD collection soon. So many games, so little time...

Naoshi

Could never get into Zelda 1. I could also never get into Metroid, with it being my least favorite out of the games (Zero Mission is basically the game I go to anyway). I've actually noticed there's a few of the old Nintendo franchises where I could never get into the first game. Earthbound Beginnings might just be another one of those games (If it didn't have random enemy encounters and also an actual map, I would find the game alright).

So many games that I have to do and finish, yet I just don't know which to continue. Just finished Mother 3 and also Cave Story today. I have Earthbound Beginnings, Resident Evil, Jax and Daxter 2 and 3, the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, and I want to get Mario Maker and the MGS HD collection soon. So many games, so little time...
I wasn't a huge fan of Mother 1. I think the game has a lot of charm, but I especially dislike the terrible difficulty curve the game constantly throws at you.

D

Deleted member

I've been sort of interested in EO for that reason. It's not the same genre as Zelda, but it's nice to see more games encouraging that style of mapping.

And can they nerf the Wizzrobe? That enemy is the bane of my existence and why I haven't beaten the 6th dungeon yet. lol
The whole map making thing on it was made because of how players would draw maps in the NES era
In fact, the whole game was made with the thought of recreating the Old School RPG feeling(make your own party, explore dungeons and map stuff)
#ShovingDownEOThroughThisThread'sThroatAgain

Also, yeah, Wizzrobe is needs some nerfing
Black Mage wasn't even that broken in FF wtf?

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Mother 1 made me cry salty tears when I played it. It's a game that I really respect, but just can't stand gameplay wise.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That makes me think time made people more impatient then when they were kids... a lot of games that was really difficult was handled well by kids because of our patience and persistence to keep going. Super Mario Bros 1 was the game that revolutionized platforming, but you can't say it's the most aged Mario game out there, and this goes for Zelda 1. I've played a bit of it, and with time, I bet I could handle it just fine. But there's still aged elements about the game that I can definitely make it not as "polished" as the newer installments. The limitations for such a game as it was really makes the newer games better by comparison, is really my point, no offence.
I think it's more that game design,and hence what modern gamers expect from games, has changed radically. It's not a bad thing, necessarily, but game are a much more complicated affair in modern times.

I honestly don't have a lot of patient for most modern 3D games, as I feel like I can't just jump in and just play them. I can't take 30+ minutes of hand holding tutorials. I can jump into most 2D games, old or new, with no problem though.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
How about a 3D remake of The Mysterious Murasame Castle, except it's not a remake, it's a sequel, and we get Takamaru in Smash thanks to it.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I think it's more that game design,and hence what modern gamers expect from games, has changed radically. It's not a bad thing, necessarily, but game are a much more complicated affair in modern times.

I honestly don't have a lot of patient for most modern 3D games, as I feel like I can't just jump in and just play them. I can't take 30+ minutes of hand holding tutorials. I can jump into most 2D games, old or new, with no problem though.
Totally. I agree entirely, it's why games like Mario at least makes does a good job making sure the gameplay doesn't need to be hand carried through, and what I admit makes the older generation of games a bit better in that department.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I really disagree about the story having to be deeper or there being a map system. Could they make places easier to find? Sure, but I really think if you're going to change the game that much (with literally making it a modern 2D Zelda with everything) then it just stops being Zelda 1. They might as well make a whole new game. I mean really, you might as well present it as a whole different game and no one would notice. Except for maybe the lack of towns.

The simplicity was also a really nice thing about Zelda 1. I don't think it should get a Zero Mission style treatment. It worked great for Metroid. But I don't think it would be that great for Zelda 1.
I think your missing the point of what i'm trying to make.Is Zelda one a bad game?No i suppose not.It just aged and it's shows.I mean nowadays any person without a guide or map is not beating that game.Getting to some places is just cryptic.How are you supposed to know to put fire on a random tree to get into a secret area/dugeon or bomb a random wall to do so or so.I respect Zelda but i see no harm of it getting a Zero Mission like update

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
I wasn't a huge fan of Mother 1. I think the game has a lot of charm, but I especially dislike the terrible difficulty curve the game constantly throws at you.
This especially. I can barely keep Ana alive, so I just have to keep grinding enemies to level her up. On top of that, there's the HUGE areas that are in the game (The mansion and factory in particular are ones that annoy me). I've been able to get through the game on my own so far, but once I got to the mansion, I had to use a walkthrough. It just got too difficult at that point.

It's why I see Earthbound as a more polished version of that game. Earthbound may still have problems, but the good out weighs the bad.

Last edited:
Ok LAST competitive thing I sear. . .apparently freaking Seagull Joe shows up to the tourney usually. (couldn't because of heavy rain) So yea that would be extremely awesome to see.
(of course because I used the word "seagull" in a post I have summoned him. I'm sure he'll come and prove it it's true or not)

I also did not like Metroid 1. I just couldn't get into it at all.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I missed Starforce talk?!

FFFFFFFFFFF-

But yeah Starforce games are cheesy but I love it for that.
And I'll still always stand by the Starforce cast being the most fleshed out in terms of characters, of the Megaman series anyway.
I luuuv dem
I still hope for a 4th someday, as unlikely as it is...

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I missed Starforce talk?!

FFFFFFFFFFF-

But yeah Starforce games are cheesy but I love it for that.
And I'll still always stand by the Starforce cast being the most fleshed out in terms of characters, of the Megaman series anyway.
I luuuv dem
I still hope for a 4th someday, as unlikely as it is...
Don't worry, we can help Inafune Kickstart Mighty.EXE.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Did anyone participate in that free for all Smash 3DS tournament Nintendo held in certain areas of the U.S. the day after the game came out?
I did; I lost in the 1st round thanks to the Beetle item.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People are saying Zelda 1 didn't age well?

Play Metroid.

Zelda 1 makes sense at least. Especially if you are familiar with the conventions of Zelda already.

Metroid just has hostile level design.

It's fun, but completing it the first time was stupid.

Zero Mission improved almost every aspect of it, so for that I am glad.

Naoshi

I think your missing the point of what i'm trying to make.Is Zelda one a bad game?No i suppose not.It just aged and it's shows.I mean nowadays any person without a guide or map is not beating that game.Getting to some places is just cryptic.How are you supposed to know to put fire on a random tree to get into a secret area/dugeon or bomb a random wall to do so or so.I respect Zelda but i see no harm of it getting a Zero Mission like update
This. This I can agree with. When you make something so cryptic that barely anyone is going to figure out except by pure luck or they have to go to every inch of the game bombing/burning things, that's not good design. A hint would suffice. (I'm unsure if the game originally gave you a hint, but someone can correct us on that if we're wrong.)

This especially. I can barely keep Ana alive, so I just have to keep grinding enemies to level her up. On top of that, there's the HUGE areas that are in the game (The mansion and factory in particular are ones that annoy me). I've been able to get through the game on my own so far, but once I got to the mansion, I had to use a walkthrough. It just got too difficult at that point.

It's why I see Earthbound as a more polished version of that game. Earthbound may still have problems, but the good out weighs the bad.
The idea of the Exp being splitted rather than being shared was a serious awful idea. You're somewhat getting punished for having a party member!

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
This. This I can agree with. When you make something so cryptic that barely anyone is going to figure out except by pure luck or they have to go to every inch of the game bombing/burning things, that's not good design. A hint would suffice. (I'm unsure if the game originally gave you a hint, but someone can correct us on that if we're wrong.)
I've seen gameplay of Zelda 1... everything looked the same, bush from bush, rock wall from rock wall... Unlike A Link to the Past, things wasn't notably different from each other, to make them stand out just a bit to make them tell it was a secret area. Like a crack in the wall or something.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
By the way, if some of you are looking into getting a bit more into retro gaming, you should seriously look into playing some SEGA Master System games. The NES is my favorite 8-bit system just do to the shear volume of great games, but the Master System was pretty fantastic, and it was certainly a more powerful piece of hardware. I was going to post some videos of games of mine that are personal favorites, but I'll just post some random top ten list I found instead.

Naoshi

I've seen gameplay of Zelda 1... everything looked the same, bush from bush, rock wall from rock wall... Unlike A Link to the Past, things wasn't notably different from each other, to make them stand out just a bit to make them tell it was a secret area. Like a crack in the wall or something.
@ the bolded. Assuming you're talking about how players get lost with similar looking areas. Having the option to draw out the map or have the map filled as you explore in a hypothetical remake really does wonders. I don't suggest said remake to have the areas looking too much of the same though if that helps. I tried drawing out my own map and I rarely get lost thanks to that.

I think having a crack would be too obvious. Maybe have it so a jingle plays (like OoS/OoA did) when you reach an area with a secret? Or maybe something else subtle? Whatever it does that makes the players think "Hmmm... It looks like there's a secret here! What should I do to find and uncover it?".

By the way, if some of you are looking into getting a bit more into retro gaming, you should seriously look into playing some SEGA Master System games. The NES is my favorite 8-bit system just do to the shear volume of great games, but the Master System was pretty fantastic, and it was certainly a more powerful piece of hardware. I was going to post some videos of games of mine that are personal favorites, but I'll just post some random top ten list I found instead.

I've been wanting to collect more Master System games. I have a Sega Genesis with a Master System to Genesis cartridge that allows me to play them on the Genesis. It's seriously great! What are affordable Master System games worth looking into?

Last edited:

Chrono.

I have both Metroid 1 and Zelda 1 on my 3DS and only played a couple of minutes of them before quitting.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
@ the bolded. Having the option to draw out the map or have the map filled as you explore in a hypothetical remake really does wonders. I don't suggest said remake to have the areas looking too much of the same though.

I think having a crack would be too obvious. Maybe have it so a jingle plays (like OoS/OoA did) when you reach an area with a secret? Or maybe something else subtle? Whatever it does that makes the players think "Hmmm... It looks like there's a secret here! What should I do to find and uncover it?".
Well, I don't disagree with you there with that. When it comes to actual secret goodies. When some of the mandatory stuff is as cryptic as any other item you can get in the game...it's time consuming and annoying to "trial and error" your way to progress in the game, and I was one to believe in the trial and error viewpoint in classic games. This is why I'm glad mandatory items comes mainly from the bosses. The Light Arrow in LoZ1 shouldn't have been something you find randomly in a cave, when it's MANDATORY to beat Ganon.

Naoshi

Well, I don't disagree with you there with that. When it comes to actual secret goodies. When some of the mandatory stuff is as cryptic as any other item you can get in the game...it's time consuming and annoying to "trial and error" your way to progress in the game, and I was one to believe in the trial and error viewpoint in classic games. This is why I'm glad mandatory items comes mainly from the bosses. The Light Arrow in LoZ1 shouldn't have been something you find randomly in a cave, when it's MANDATORY to beat Ganon.
I agree, when it comes to trial and error cryptic gameplay that accomplishes nothing but frustrate the player, it's not good design.

I haven't beaten LoZ1, but I had no idea about the Light Arrow being required.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Arguing that which game has aged more is irrelevant considering both games aged like fruit.

Both have designs that hurt the game and their level progression is the worst in their respective series.

The Legend of Selda and Metroid are games you gotta realize that those games get better as the series progress.
Even then most NES games haven't aged well at all
(Hi Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and Mother 1)

And that's why the original 1985 Super Mario Bros. is the greatest video game ever made because it aged like fine wine and can be still played perfectly without a lot of issues.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I did beat Zelda 1 awhile back. It has indeed aged, but not as bad as many say.

Metroid 1, on the other hand, is a nightmare without online guides.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I agree, when it comes to trial and error cryptic gameplay that accomplishes nothing but frustrate the player, it's not good design.

I haven't beaten LoZ1, but I had no idea about the Light Arrow being required.
Yep, you need it to beat Ganon (spoilers I guess but really), the last hit can only be done with it, otherwise you're screwed.

I honestly like LoZ1 for what it is, but the series has definitely learned from the beginnings, (after 2 that is) and expanded on what was right with the first and made the "wrongs" less of a issue to the gameplay.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Zelda 1 gets an eternal pass for being the first of its kind.

It is incredibly, undeniably archaic and outdated, but that didn't matter to folks back then. It's historical, not revolutionary.

Naoshi

Arguing that which game has aged more is irrelevant considering both games aged like fruit.

Both have designs that hurt the game and their level progression is the worst in their respective series.

The Legend of Selda and Metroid are games you gotta realize that those games get better as the series progress.

And that's why the original 1985 Super Mario Bros. is the greatest video game ever made because it aged like fine wine and can be still played perfectly without a lot of issues.
Wait, Punch-Out? Doesn't it play pretty much the same as the Wii game? I didn't play of it a lot, but it seemed fine from what I've gathered?

Also no one really said Zelda 1 is a better game than the others. I'm more or less praising its concept. We all pretty much agree that the frustrating trial and error progression is not good design by any means.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I just realized Kirby's Adventure is the only NES game by Nintendo I've actually beaten (unless you count DK & DK JR.). Yet I've beaten Mega Man 1-5 and Castlevania 1.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Wait, there are people that think Punch-Out didn't age well? The gameplay is still stellar.

D

Deleted member

Punch-Out aged great imo
I got it on CN after Mac was revealed
I don't like Super Punch-Out though because of how it tries to be complex
Wii on the other hand, feels exactly like the original but with extra flashiness

Naoshi

I've beaten Kid Icarus

I forgot how I've even managed to breeze through 75% of the game after the 2nd level on my 5th or so try at the game, but I just did. Then I went to replay it and I'm just as bad as I was the first time I played the game :/

The Gameboy sequel is pretty cool by the way. I recommend it.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I've beaten Kid Icarus

I forgot how I've managed to breeze through 75% of the game after the 2nd level on my 5th or so try at the game, but I just did.

Then I went to replay it and I'm just as bad as I was the first time I played the game :/

The Gameboy sequel is pretty cool by the way. I recommend it.
For some reason, I couldn't beat the NES version of Kid Icarus but the 3D Classics remake I was able.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Wait, Punch-Out? Doesn't it play pretty much the same as the Wii game? I didn't play of it a lot, but it seemed fine from what I've gathered?

Also no one really said Zelda 1 is a better game than the others. I'm more or less praising its concept.
Punch Out NES is those type of games people REALLY overestimate how great they are.

It's really slow, fights are actually much more BS than Super or Wii and it just doesn't feel as arcade like.

Wii doesn't require you to keep your star punches throughout each match where it resets after each match, the moments of stun lock. I get really upset when people say the NES game and the Wii game are the same when the Wii game has elements from ALL games.

Especially considering how getting star punches are much better in Wii without being easy. Also the gimmicks aren't that great IMO.

Wait, there are people that think Punch-Out didn't age well? The gameplay is still stellar.
The game is still great but the sequels are much stronger titles. Especially Super Punch Out which is the true remake of the arcade games

Last edited:

Naoshi

For some reason, I couldn't beat the NES version of Kid Icarus but the 3D Classics remake I was able.
Come to think of it. I beaten it on the 3D Classics version as well.

Maybe they've toned down the difficulty? Or perhaps a small change in the physics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom