• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The whole. He hasn't happened yet logic.

Again I got no problem with you thinking Wolf isn't likely. There's some logic to that line of thinking.

It's just the logic of he hasn't happened yet so he isn't likely. It's just counting your chickens before they hatch..
Let's be fair here, it's not unfounded.

Wolf, for all his luster and so-called shoo-in status, has skipped 5 rounds of DLC to date, whether or not they had characters. If he manages to skip a sixth, then I'll be more amazed than I currently am.

I'm neutral to Wolf but I'd love to be wrong, because him actually not returning would be chaotic.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
"Wolf hasn't happened yet so he's not as likely" sounds like circular logic but I definitely see the reasoning behind that. The entire context of his character (already having stuff to go off of as a veteran, popularity, etc.) makes him more likely to pop up as an early arrival; it seems odd that a character with what he has going for him would take so long for the development team to get to, or at least it does to me.

It doesn't mean he's completely unlikely now, but the more time passes the less I think he's coming back. I'm no expert and would be happy to be proved wrong (Wolf is really the only character I have any investment in, because I really enjoyed him in Brawl and don't really like Brawl enough to go back and play it now that Sm4sh is a thing; otherwise I'm just happy to have any new character to play around with), it's just my gut feeling.
My whole low confidence on Wolf has been a gut feeling kind of thing too. Him just not coming back for whatever reason is just something I can see them doing sadly

Just as Firus said, I would LOVE to be wrong.
Well honestly, I stopped consulting my gut when it told me we'd get Chrom instead of Robin and/or Lucina.
That's why I still think Wolf is very likely.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
He hasn't happened yet so he's less likely ties directly into my theory, you can't separate the two points. Again, maybe at the very end if they have time ala clone production in Melee, Brawl and Smash for... but as a "main course" Dlc offering I think it's a little unlikely especially if we know the characters that were probably in Shinys April data discoveries.
But we don't know so that point doesn't matter.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
While this is true, I haven't actually see anyone comparing Punch Out to Star Tropics. Unless I've overlooked a post?
It's more of using ST as a comparison with Punch Out as series that has more influence on the western audiences than anywhere else when Star Tropics did horribly here even with it being Western exclusive while PO is a franchise that has much more popularity here.

I do that with any franchise like that except for the few like Zelda and Metroid mostly

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's more of using ST as a comparison with Punch Out as series that has more influence on the western audiences than anywhere else when Star Tropics did horribly here even with it being Western exclusive while PO is a franchise that has much more popularity here.

I do that with any franchise like that except for the few like Zelda and Metroid mostly
That's not what I was doing.
I saw a post that said something like "Sakurai doesn't care about US gamers obvs!!"
So I showed Little Mac.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well honestly, I stopped consulting my gut when it told me we'd get Chrom instead of Robin and/or Lucina.
That's why I still think Wolf is very likely.
I mean yeah, I could be easily wrong as I said, I just don't think it's illogical to say he seems unlikely at this point like some were saying, and I don't necessarily think being completely wrong in the past necessarily dwarfs the possibility of gut feeling being right here.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ooh, something I was thinking about at work. You know which forgotten character Capcom should revive imo? Ruby Hearts (who?) The pirate chick from MvC2. I'd like to see that, a game about collecting treasure while swashbuckling and sailing, Capcom hasn't done that before have they?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
That's not what I was doing.
I saw a post that said something like "Sakurai doesn't care about US gamers obvs!!"
So I showed Little Mac.
I understand and I wasn't specifically talking about you. I just hate this idea that Sakurai hates the U.S. When we have the same request for characters as other regions.

:4megaman::4sonic::4villager:and the requests of K. Rool, Isaac, Inklings and other characters.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Like Istated before, none of the Final 4 from Brawl was ever liked.

NONE
:wolf::toonlink:got flak for being clones
:lucario:got flak for people thinking he was a Mewtwo clone and his replacement (which was stupid)
And :rob:just got hell because people thought he was a waste of space and he held back other characters from getting in.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
:4bowserjr::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt:
:4drmario::4darkpit: got flak for being clones
:4bowserjr: had everyone (But people who actually played any modern Mario game ever and knew the Clown Car) and their ESRB Raters thinking it was just a Diddy Ripoff (Which was REALLY stupid)
And :4duckhunt: got WORSE than R.O.B. because the trio's scenario was a horrid mix of Brawl R.O.B. and SM4SH Speculation PAC-MAN (I.E. who the **** is this [R.O.B.] and how the **** does a Dog fight [PAC-MAN])

I see the similarities. :4pacman:

Ooh, something I was thinking about at work. You know which forgotten character Capcom should revive imo? Ruby Hearts (who?) The pirate chick from MvC2. I'd like to see that, a game about collecting treasure while swashbuckling and sailing, Capcom hasn't done that before have they?

:troll:
I honestly have no idea what they do in their game. I think it's puzzles or something.

Amingo should join with her. Both being the OC of MVC2
Don't play with my emotions Wolf!
I dont remember Falco and Peppy sounding so horrible. . .

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

:troll:
I honestly have no idea what they do in their game. I think it's puzzles or something.

Amingo should join with her. Both being the OC of MVC2

I dont remember Falco and Peppy sounding so horrible. . .
That's a point and click game
Amingo was an OC too? Damn, he screamed Dalkstalkers imo. Then again, so did Ruby. But yeah, I'd love for Capcom to use them again

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Tell me about it, my name is spelled differently than from the Dutch norm...-
That reminds me. Little Mac was only added for Sakurai's love for the arcade game
'Lucas, a Japan only character? Sure! Mike Jones? Nope, exclusive to everyone outside Japan'
I swear, this makes me flip my ****. Japan's got a smaller fanbase so why cater to them?
It makes sense when you consider:
- Nintendo is a Japanese company
- Bandai Namco is a Japanese company
- Sakurai is Japanese
- The game is developed in Japan

Probably helps that it's easier to do more research on the Japanese fanbase. Nintendo has a stronger presence there, after all.

Japan bias is naturally a thing when all of the game's development is done there by people from there. Not surprised by this at all.

Plus, the only Japan only characters we have in this Smash so far happen to be veterans, meaning they already had some exposure outside of Japan, even if only through the Smash series.

D

Deleted member

And technically, the only one that can be considered "Japan Only" at this point is Lucas.
Even if it's as optional DLC, Roy did appear in Fire Emblem Awakening.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looking over the Source Gaming results @BluePikmin11

1. It seems that the general consensus is no more Marios as Jumpman, Metal Mario and Baby Mario occupy 3 of the 4 most 1s. The exception is Paper Mario at no 26.
2. Pichu is still the most unpopular veteran at 86. Ivysaur and Squirtle are quite high up all things considered.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
That's a point and click game
Amingo was an OC too? Damn, he screamed Dalkstalkers imo. Then again, so did Ruby. But yeah, I'd love for Capcom to use them again
Ruby Heart was actually a rejected concept character for Darkstalkers. While Amingo was meant to be in a unknown cancelled game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
- Sakurai is Japanese

Probably helps that it's easier to do more research on the Japanese fanbase. Nintendo has a stronger presence there, after all.

Japan bias is naturally a thing when all of the game's development is done there by people from there. Not surprised by this at all.

Plus, the only Japan only characters we have in this Smash so far happen to be veterans, meaning they already had some exposure outside of Japan, even if only through the Smash series.
Considering the Ballot was the first time people who weren't Japanese had a potential impact on Smash, I just can't help but ask why. It's smarter to listen to the majority

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I was playing my 3DS and i noticed that if Inklings get in, they'll need to update All-Star mode to not say 2007-2013.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Considering the Ballot was the first time people who weren't Japanese had a potential impact on Smash, I just can't help but ask why. It's smarter to listen to the majority
Because have you seen the stupid **** us westerners request? Japan is atleast tame about it but America (and Europe) is freaking stupid sometimes.

Serious answer: Because it's just easier and Japan isn't always the minority. They'll still listen to us and other parts of the world but to Nintendo it's just as easy to use their home country, Japan as a basis sometimes.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
- Sakurai is Japanese

It's not just Nintendo, this tendency applies to all Japanese video game companies. Which still works well for someone like K. Rool, who is heavily demanded internationally.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
And technically, the only one that can be considered "Japan Only" at this point is Lucas.
Even if it's as optional DLC, Roy did appear in Fire Emblem Awakening.
Roy even incorporates elements of his Awakening design in his Smash 4 design, so yeah, he doesn't quite count as "Japan only" anymore.

Though he still only speaks Japanese... Like Marth. Probably for legacy reasons. I kinda like they speak Japanese even in international versions despite no longer being Japan only. Being the only FE characters to do so, I believe it's a clever nod to how they were the characters to bring FE to the West.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
You cheates on Olivia
That's not his waifu. It's just that Lucina is only known for being someone's waifu. She's waifu-bait.

And the only reason I play her is because she has Tiki's color scheme and that's my waifu

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That doesn't make any logical sense.

"Just because it hasn't happene do eat means it's less likely to happen regardless of other factors?"

I could say that for literally anyone not on the roster.

There's reasons to think Wolf may not get in but this reasoning is idiotic. Push you are better than that.
It's more that if he was such a guarantee and so much more popular than all these other characters, than why did they get in before him? All of the reasons he is a shoo in now are the reasons people felt like he was a shoo in for the base roster.

People keep moving the goal with Wolf... they keep expecting him to be the next character revealed. That's all well and good until that last character is revealed and he is not one of them.

Last edited:

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
Last thing I heard from Ruby Heart was that Capcom planned for her to star in her own mobile game. No idea what happened next, since I can't find info on whether it was cancelled or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom