• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
This couldn't be more out of the blue but does anyone remember the Army men games?

because I just did and now i'm nostalgic as hell. Loved these games as a kid. too bad the series died somewhere around the gamecube era. . .(except that one game that is super kiddie)
It's funny you bring this up, I recently was given the nintendo 64 version, its quite basic but really fun.

As for wolf, I still think he is likely and could be in the next DLC wave, but I could also see him not return sadly.

As for ridley potentially coming, honestly wouldn't be surprised at this point, but I don't see it super likely.

And the poll results are nice! The high voted characters would all be great to see. I am also glad wonder red is high up there!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know I'll want Dark Pit back if he's cut. I don't care what the others think about him.

I supported his inclusion in Smash 4 and I'll do so again in the future if needed.

Given that he barely has any changes from Pit, he could at the very least return as an alt for him. Then again, Sakurai disliked the idea of him using the same Final Smash as Pit, giving him the Dark Pit Staff instead, which itself is a reskin of Zelda's Light Arrow.

Of all Smash characters in the franchise's history, he's the character that likely had the least amount of resources put into.

I think that, should Lucina return, she'll get come overhauls like previous clones to better resemble how she fights in Awakening (as also seen in her Smash trailer), with likely changes to some attacks and her idle animation while still remaining a Marth derivative with no tippers.
Had Toon Link been indeed cut from Smash 4 as so many expected, I would have pushed for his return too so I'm certainly with ya there.

I would certainly like to see Wolf return too as he was another Brawl favourite of mine. ^^

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People are reading too much into the whole "Roy returns from Melee and Lucas returns from Brawl" segment. Whilst a possible theory, the idea that Sakurai would pick those as the Melee veteran and Brawl veteran respectively is just that, a theory.
A Lame Theory. Thanks for watching.

No but seriously I think the one from Melee one from Brawl thing is kinda dumb because of Mewtwo throwing a monkey wrench into that.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Bowser Jr has been very positively received though. If you're speaking newcomers, replace Doc for Shulk
Before the game got released, Bowser Jr got some heat toward him for a while. And Shulk never got the flak plus considering Gemastu exist, he was part of an already rumored roster.

All I remember hat those 4 got the blunt of hell when the ESRB leak happened.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Higher review scores does not inherently mean not everyone liked brawl. As someone who prefers melee to Brawl I concur.

Let's not forget a game can be critically acclaimed but hated by gamers
Brawl was still positively received and unlike Melee, Sakurai succeeded in what he wanted, a party game anyone can pick up and play. Melee became too competitive in his eyes. If MORE people brought Brawl and MORE people wanted Wolf than Roy, why do Roy?! Melee's the fan favourite game, but it's leftover cut characters weren't all too popular

MainJPW

M.T.A
Roy was chosen as the cut Melee representive. Lucas is the cut Brawl representive. That's how they presented them at least. Business why it makes sense to cover all your bases as not everyone liked Brawl.
I think the whole Lucas being a popular Brawl vet and Roy being a popular Melee veteran for reasons of being brought back was PR. From what I remember Sakurai saying when it comes to veterans he doesn't want to cut them, that makes me think he brought these characters back on his own qualms and also knew it would make their respective fans happy in the process.

I brought up Mewtwo and Roy being the most developed of the Forbidden seven being evidence that they were never intended to be cut in the first place, does this have any truth?

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Yeah send it in! Have you been working on a stage for the Spooky Mario Maker competition too? $20 Eshop card for first place, you shouuuuuuld!!
I can't wait to see the result! I hope alot of person are going to participate too! :)

(By the way, i have reached the limit of level i can upload online. So if you don't known what to do. You can try the level you didn't try before! I would pass you the ID of course. If you want it.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Before the game got released, Bowser Jr got some heat toward him for a while. And Shulk never got the flak plus considering Gemastu exist, he was part of an already rumored roster.

There actually was a bit of back(s)lash against Shulk before his trailer because some thought that based on the leaked ESRB footage, the moves used, and his place on the roster, that they made him a Marth clone. Of course, those worries were fixed once his actual trailer was shown, but they did exist.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Like Istated before, none of the Final 4 from Brawl was ever liked.

NONE
:wolf::toonlink:got flak for being clones
:lucario:got flak for people thinking he was a Mewtwo clone and his replacement (which was stupid)
And :rob:just got hell because people thought he was a waste of space and he held back other characters from getting in.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
:4bowserjr::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt:
Funny.

Out of these, Lucario is the only who still gets flak.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

I only remember him getting flak when people thought he was somehow a Diddy clone
Oh by the way, is it true that there was a petition to cut Mewtwo during pre-Brawl times?
That reminds me. Mewtwo fans can be so ****ing ungrateful 'He's terrible. You cut him? But he was fun! He's still terrible? What the hell?!' Granted, the weight nerf was ridiculous but still

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
PushDustIn PushDustIn

Did you just say one of the things against Wolf was that he hasn't happened yet?

Wat?

D

Deleted member

Uhh...
Can anyone direct me towards the Mario Maker thread?
I have some levels to share
And what exactly are we arguing about right now?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Brawl was still positively received and unlike Melee, Sakurai succeeded in what he wanted, a party game anyone can pick up and play. Melee became too competitive in his eyes. If MORE people brought Brawl and MORE people wanted Wolf than Roy, why do Roy?! Melee's the fan favourite game, but it's leftover cut characters weren't all too popular
You're also forgetting that a lot of people played Melee and wasn't even on the competitive scene and like the character. Hell I know people who were upset that Roy never came back to Brawl.

Using sales as basis who most wanted veterans stupid because Mewtwo trumps Lucas, Wolf and Roy for most requested newcomers by FAR.

Most people didn't think Lucas would ever return. Plus Roy had a large audience in Japan AKA the only place to play his game.

Ryuga, gotta pay attention to everything around. Sales aren't the end and be all for characters and shouldn't be even considered.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Funny.

Out of these, Lucario is the only who still gets flak.
Toon Link got a bit of flak too when he was first confirmed to return.

Although that more or less dissolved as soon as Lucina was confirmed as a bigger clone..... and then Dr. Maro and Dark Pit soon afterwards.....

Last edited:
Except for Roy and mewtwo, who were both extremely popular. especially in japan, you know where sakuarai is. Add in the fact Sakurai is a huge Fire Emblem fan (and I vaguely remember him liking roy but *citation needed*) and it isn't too illogical why our roy was brought back.

Like I said there are reasons for him not to be included but there is no way to know if that is how sakurai is thinking.

PushDustIn PushDustIn

Did you just say one of the things against Wolf was that he hasn't happened yet?

Wat?
I think he meant it like how he seems like he should have been in by now but isn't even though he is a "shoo-in" and that's suspicious. I don't necessarily agree with it but I understand where he's coming from.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're also forgetting that a lot of people played Melee and wasn't even on the competitive scene and like the character. Hell I know people who were upset that Roy never came back to Brawl.

Using sales as basis who most wanted veterans stupid because Mewtwo trumps Lucas, Wolf and Roy for most requested newcomers by FAR.

Most people didn't think Lucas would ever return. Plus Roy had a large audience in Japan AKA the only place to play his game.

Ryuga, gotta pay attention to everything around. Sales aren't the end and be all for characters and shouldn't be even considered.
Bull****.

Lucas and Wolf were deems the most likely characters after Mewtwo was revealed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Sales aren't important? My life has bee a lie...

Wolf was still a more popular choice for cut veterans than Roy

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think Mewtwo was the fan favorite that they delegated to Dlc in order to encourage people to buy both versions (the cynic in me believes it was also to test their distribution system). Nowhere when presenting that Mewtwo was back did they mention he was cut from Melee. It was always 'at E3 everyone asked wheres Mewtwo?'

Yet with Roy and Lucas...? "cut veterans from Melee and Brawl! We heard your cry!"

It's not really that lame of a theory.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Like Istated before, none of the Final 4 from Brawl was ever liked.

NONE
:wolf::toonlink:got flak for being clones
:lucario:got flak for people thinking he was a Mewtwo clone and his replacement (which was stupid)
And :rob:just got hell because people thought he was a waste of space and he held back other characters from getting in.

Sounds familiar doesn't it?
:4bowserjr::4darkpit::4drmario::4duckhunt:
Wait...Bowser Jr. got flak? I don't remember that. I know the others did, but I don't remember Jr. getting any. Maybe it was because I was too busy joyously cheering...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think Mewtwo was the fan favorite that they delegated to Dlc in order to encourage people to buy both versions (the cynic in me believes it was also to test their distribution system). Nowhere when presenting that Mewtwo was back did they mention he was cut from Melee. It was always 'at E3 everyone asked wheres Mewtwo?'

Yet with Roy and Lucas...? "cut veterans from Melee and Brawl! We heard your cry!"

More like "Of all the past veterans, we knew these were definetly among those people want back!"

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

It is when Roy's popularity has dropped significantly after a while and how Wolf was more requested than Lucas

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Bull****.

Lucas and Wolf were deems the most likely characters after Mewtwo was revealed.
Bro, I'm talking pre-DLC.
PRE-DLC.

Not after Mewtwo was revealed. Hell, you're right but when it came to any of those vets at the time before we even knew of who was gonna be DLC, Mewtwo triumphed Roy, Lucas and Wolf by far. BY FAR and people don't see that and assume I'm talking when Mewtwo was first revealed. C'mon, man

Sales aren't important? My life has bee a lie...

When it comes cut characters from their respective games by what you're implying with Roy with Melee vs Wolf with Brawl, that **** is irrelevant and yeah, Wolf was the more requested that Roy but we don't know what Sakurai thinks of Wolf.

Wait...Bowser Jr. got flak? I don't remember that. I know the others did, but I don't remember Jr. getting any. Maybe it was because I was too busy joyously cheering...
Mario characters, hated character because he was like Scrappy Doo to Mario fans and other variables.

MainJPW

M.T.A
By far.

His only obstacle seems to be the development team themselves, but even then how do we know that's even the case? He could still be held off, I mean if we're even considering that Wolf may not return then why not consider other possibilities? None of us are apart of the development team, how do we know he's not in the works as we speak?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He hasn't happened even though he's always been "likely". If he was so likely he would have happened already.
That doesn't make any logical sense.

"Just because it hasn't happene do eat means it's less likely to happen regardless of other factors?"

I could say that for literally anyone not on the roster.

There's reasons to think Wolf may not get in but this reasoning is idiotic. Push you are better than that.

D

Deleted member

I'll just say one thing
Sales DO matter
If more people played Brawl than Melee, then it's logical its characters would be more popular
The only reason to why Mewtwo was more requested than anyone else is because he was a cut vet
No one had to go around campaining for Lucas or Wolf on pre release because they were in the last game
And the other cut Melee vets were all clones

Really, how much you guys wanna bet IC will be the most requested for the next game?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
He hasn't happened even though he's always been "likely". If he was so likely he would have happened already.
Mewtwo wasn't in the game until April 2015, despite being "very likely".
There's lots of characters that were considered very likely that that for lack of a better term, took their sweet-ass time. But they eventually got added.

Writing off Wolf because he wasn't added between the four characters we have isn't a good idea.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I don't think being the "cut melee/brawl rep" is a real criteria, or at least not a 'hard criteria. Mewtwo was cut from Melee, so was Dr. Mario. Lots of characters can fill arbitrary niches, but ultimately Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas came back because they were popular.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Just because a character is deemed as likely for DLC doesn't mean they should have happened already.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
By far.

His only obstacle seems to be the development team themselves, but even then how do we know that's even the case? He could still be held off, I mean if we're even considering that Wolf may not return then why not consider other possibilities? None of us are apart of the development team, how do we know he's not in the works as we speak?
This is exactly my point. No one is a shoo-in, and we need to keep our minds open. He could be in the works right now, we don't know. Assuming someone is a lock or a shoo in is just going to leave us all disappointed.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'll just say one thing
Sales DO matter
If more people played Brawl than Melee, then it's logical its characters would be more popular
The only reason to why Mewtwo was more requested than anyone else is because he was a cut vet
No one had to go around campaining for Lucas or Wolf on pre release because they were in the last game
And the other cut Melee vets were all clones

Really, how much you guys wanna bet IC will be the most requested for the next game?
Not to mention Mewtwo is already one of the most popular characters from his franchise, Roy...Didn't even make the top 10 in Japan
I highly doubt IC will stay cut in the future honestly

The reason Wolf's cut pisses me off is because a week before we heard he'd be cut I decided to take him out for a spin and thought 'Wow, he's so fun!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom