• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I just want Young Link to return. Wolf? Pichu? Nah dawg, I want a third Link. :younglinkmelee:

But as time goes on, I feel as if it's just not going to happen. He had a great opening upon MM's re-release and despite what most say, there's quite a following for him.

Which is a shame because HW presented Young Link so uniquely, Sakurai could of took notes from that and made him into the Ike of the LoZ series, which would of been cool as hell. But I would welcome him as a clone as well.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It makes perfect sense.

If someone both as "requested" and easy to make (in terms of porting/moveset potential) was as much as a shoo-in as people believe him to be, one would think he would have been revealed before even the ballot announcement so as to prevent people from voting needlessly ala Ryu/Roy.

It doesn't make him less likely per se, just that the longer we go without hearing anything on him, the less likely it seems overall.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Sakurai just deemed two Japan only characters that had one game from many years ago to be more important than a long time antagonist to Starfox.

#****villains
Wait...Bowser Jr. got flak? I don't remember that. I know the others did, but I don't remember Jr. getting any. Maybe it was because I was too busy joyously cheering...
The most flak I saw Bowser Jr. get was "ugh, not another Mario character " but the hate wasn't specifically directed at the character.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I just want Young Link to return. Wolf? Pichu? Nah dawg, I want a third Link. :younglinkmelee:

But as time goes on, I feel as if it's just not going to happen. He had a great opening upon MM's re-release and despite what most say, there's quite a following for him.

Which is a shame because HW presented Young Link so uniquely, Sakurai could of took notes from that and made him into the Ike of the LoZ series, which would of been cool as hell. But I would welcome him as a clone as well.
Problem with Yink. Sakurai doesn't like changing veterans and Yink wasn't in the forbidden 7, not to mention the only thing Yink has that Tink doesn't have is a multijab

D

Deleted member

Also, you said your irl name is Will iirc. Does it tick you off being called 'Uiru'? I can't stand it when my name gets misspronounced personally
You should see how I react when people mispell my name
AND IT IS EVERY GODDAMN TIME
Sakurai just deemed two Japan only characters that had one game from many years ago to be more important than a long time antagonist to Starfox.

#****villains
The most flak I saw Bowser Jr. get was "ugh, not another Mario character " but the hate wasn't specifically directed at the character.
I don't think it matters much to Sakurai
He lives in Japan so **** America
I mean, it's not like we don't have fans of an American only game wanting its character in the game
Star Tropics

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
If Mewtwo and Rosalina are supposed to be light because they constantly float, then at least give Mewtwo Rosalina's weight
Between our weight and Rosalina's fanboys, just give us our own Luma and we'll call it even. :starman:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If anything, you could say having one Brawl veteran and two Melee veteran just helps Wolf's chances...
I mean, it's not like we don't have fans of an American only game wanting its character in the game
Star Tropics
:4littlemac:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You should see how I react when people mispell my name
AND IT IS EVERY GODDAMN TIME

Star Tropics
Tell me about it, my name is spelled differently than from the Dutch norm...-
That reminds me. Little Mac was only added for Sakurai's love for the arcade game
'Lucas, a Japan only character? Sure! Mike Jones? Nope, exclusive to everyone outside Japan'
I swear, this makes me flip my ****. Japan's got a smaller fanbase so why cater to them?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
PushDustIn PushDustIn

Do you know something we don't?

This is exactly my point. No one is a shoo-in, and we need to keep our minds open. He could be in the works right now, we don't know. Assuming someone is a lock or a shoo in is just going to leave us all disappointed.
because that is all you got to say.

But you said something completely different.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'll just say one thing
Sales DO matter
If more people played Brawl than Melee, then it's logical its characters would be more popular
The only reason to why Mewtwo was more requested than anyone else is because he was a cut vet
No one had to go around campaining for Lucas or Wolf on pre release because they were in the last game
And the other cut Melee vets were all clones

Really, how much you guys wanna bet IC will be the most requested for the next game?
Dude, you guys are underrating Melee's sales. It was the one of the highest selling GC games and while sales can matter to some, Melee and Brawl have popularity regardless.

And comparing the Brawl cuts vs the Melee cuts is unfair considering :younglinkmelee: got revamped into :toonlink:, :drmario: is way too similar to :mariomelee: until :mario2: got FLUUD and a his Down-B became his Dair and :pichumelee: was designed as a joke character.

The most known cut Melee characters were characters who got significant differences :mewtwomelee::roymelee:. The goddamn Forbidden 12 and how :falco::ganondorf: got revamped in Brawl showed that Roy was atleast considered.

Plus Brawl also had :snake:&:popo: cut who had original movesets and one was due to limitations of a system and the other was due to Sakurai really forgetting him.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Taking an aside from the howling debates above (hehe, puns), and backtracking to the one discussion everybody is completely over by now:

I know that everybody is leaning towards Inklings, but I'm surprised that with all the Ridley discussion that nobody's really discussed Toad.

He's a first-party newcomer, one that dedinitely would not have won the ballot, but everybody knows who Toad is, so he'd bring hype because he is a popular character. And despite the current situation with a toad being part of Peach's moveset and Rosalina and Bowser Jr. making it in before him, he's the only olayable character in the mainline series games not to make it in yet, plus the only original driver from Mario Kart 64 left unincluded, so moving into the future,he's definitely someone that's inevitable as a fighter.

The only wrench is that comment about it being someone from a new series (though you could argue Captain Toad is it's own now. :awesome:), but besides that what really is stopping Toad from being basically perfect for the thought? If you guys can secular that Ridley is a plausible candidate, of all characters, why isn't Toad more likely considering he's not a stage hazard and can be easily replaced with Toadsworth in Peach's counter?

Just a thought I had, not that I'd be mad if Inklings made it in over him, because that would be hype regardless! But I want to see Toad make it, and he's arguably a better fit than Bandana Dee and Dixie.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Welp. Every popular character thought as likely not happening.

Also, you said your irl name is Will iirc. Does it tick you off being called 'Uiru'? I can't stand it when my name gets misspronounced personally
I've gotten used to it!

That doesn't make any logical sense.

"Just because it hasn't happene do eat means it's less likely to happen regardless of other factors?"

I could say that for literally anyone not on the roster.

There's reasons to think Wolf may not get in but this reasoning is idiotic. Push you are better than that.
You aren't understanding my points.
I explained my six month development cycle theory in a previous post. If you don't understand that they had a fuller plate in terms of amount of content in the first six months compared to this set of six months you won't understand my train of thought.

Essentially it seems like June to December will have less content based on the data in the game that was datamined (post release by me, Dlc by shiny). Therefore it will all be original new content. Easy content could be finished which makes Wolf unlikely.

Plus...theres the fact that the next two rumored characters are not Wolf. Of course they might not end up being true. But the longer without Wolf the less likely I see him, unless he becomes a "hey we have 4 extra months before the contract expires so lets develop a semi clone!" type of situation.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've gotten used to it!

You aren't understanding my points.
I explained my six month development cycle theory in a previous post. If you don't understand that they had a fuller plate in terms of amount of content in the first six months compared to this set of six months you won't understand my train of thought.

Essentially it seems like June to December will have less content based on the data in the game that was datamined (post release by me, Dlc by shiny). Therefore it will all be original new content. Easy content could be finished which makes Wolf unlikely.

Plus...theres the fact that the next two rumored characters are not Wolf. Of course they might not end up being true. But the longer without Wolf the less likely I see him, unless he becomes a "hey we have 4 extra months before the contract expires so lets develop a semi clone!" type of situation.
I have no qualms with those points.

It was the other point entirely.

Chrono.

We're in the same boat (though I still want Wolf more) and I don't like his HW portrayal too much so I'd welcome him as a semi clone even more.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I have no qualms with those points.

It was the other point entirely.
What point then?

And no, I don't know something you guys don't know. Like I said in Source Cast, I think I was just blindsided by the Shovel Knight rumor. I really didn't expect him at all. I even included him in a list of characters that wouldn't make it in, prior to the rumor. Again, rumor might not be true and I'm not 100% confident in it but it has shaken my confidence in "what's likely".

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Taking an aside from the howling debates above (hehe, puns), and backtracking to the one discussion everybody is completely over by now:

I know that everybody is leaning towards Inklings, but I'm surprised that with all the Ridley discussion that nobody's really discussed Toad.

He's a first-party newcomer, one that dedinitely would not have won the ballot, but everybody knows who Toad is, so he'd bring hype because he is a popular character. And despite the current situation with a toad being part of Peach's moveset and Rosalina and Bowser Jr. making it in before him, he's the only olayable character in the mainline series games not to make it in yet, plus the only original driver from Mario Kart 64 left unincluded, so moving into the future,he's definitely someone that's inevitable as a fighter.

The only wrench is that comment about it being someone from a new series (though you could argue Captain Toad is it's own now. :awesome:), but besides that what really is stopping Toad from being basically perfect for the thought? If you guys can secular that Ridley is a plausible candidate, of all characters, why isn't Toad more likely considering he's not a stage hazard and can be easily replaced with Toadsworth in Peach's counter?

Just a thought I had, not that I'd be mad if Inklings made it in over him, because that would be hype regardless! But I want to see Toad make it, and he's arguably a better fit than Bandana Dee and Dixie.
If people were complaining about Bowser Jr. being "another Mario character", which i just learned, then they'll do the same for Toad. I don't see that ending well or being a 8-9 on the hype scale.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Plus didn't ever compare Punch Out to Star Tropics, EVER.

I like both series but Punch Out's sales eclipses Star Tropics by a mile and wasn't ever demanded in west as hard as Little Mac.

Sakurai saw potential in Little Mac and his demand here in the North America region is large, thanks to how popular his game then and even now.

His NES game is still remembered and is in mainstream media when it comes to the NES thanks to Mike Tyson face being in the game.

If try to use other western popular franchises, then it better be Zelda and Metroid you're using for numbers because all others won't ever touch Punch Out's popularity.

D

Deleted member

Toad screams at me as someone that would be in by now if he was meant to be in.
Not a single Super Mario series newcomer for Brawl, and two added for Smash Wii U/3DS, neither of which being Toad. Instead we get a character who is a more recent addition to the franchise (and during the time she was decided for the roster, had very few roles) and Bowser Jr. (along with the Koopalings) piloting a Clown Car.

Best bet would be the newer Captain Toad, if Sakurai is willing to forgo his signature lack of jumping ability.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Problem with Yink. Sakurai doesn't like changing veterans and Yink wasn't in the forbidden 7, not to mention the only thing Yink has that Tink doesn't have is a multijab
Charizard, ROB, Olimar, and a few others were changed. Not overhauled, but they were still considerably changed enough to be drastically different from their counterparts. Also, Yink is a clone of Link, not Tink, as Tink doesn't share the same neutral special, neutral air, up smash, and a couple other notes I've forgotten.

But let's stop there for a second and realize what just happened here. I posted a comment regarding who I wanted, and you're trying to shoot it down. Any reason for that?

D

Deleted member

If anything, you could say having one Brawl veteran and two Melee veteran just helps Wolf's chances...

:4littlemac:
Good thing Punch Out is avaible in Japan
Tell me about it, my name is spelled differently than from the Dutch norm...-
That reminds me. Little Mac was only added for Sakurai's love for the arcade game
'Lucas, a Japan only character? Sure! Mike Jones? Nope, exclusive to everyone outside Japan'
I swear, this makes me flip my ****. Japan's got a smaller fanbase so why cater to them?
Everyone adds a C in the middle of it
It's something so small vut I ****ing hate it
I blame every single russian villain in movies *hint hint*
Dude, you guys are underrating Melee's sales. It was the one of the highest selling GC games and while sales can matter to some, Melee and Brawl have popularity regardless.

And comparing the Brawl cuts vs the Melee cuts is unfair considering :younglinkmelee: got revamped into :toonlink:, :drmario: is way too similar to :mariomelee: until :mario2: got FLUUD and a his Down-B became his Dair and :pichumelee: was designed as a joke character.

The most known cut Melee characters were characters who got significant differences :mewtwomelee::roymelee:. The goddamn Forbidden 12 and how :falco::ganondorf: got revamped in Brawl showed that Roy was atleast considered.

Plus Brawl also had :snake:&:popo: cut who had original movesets and one was due to limitations of a system and the other was due to Sakurai really forgetting him.
Brawl sales>Melee sales
It's a fact

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What point then?

And no, I don't know something you guys don't know. Like I said in Source Cast, I think I was just blindsided by the Shovel Knight rumor. I really didn't expect him at all. I even included him in a list of characters that wouldn't make it in, prior to the rumor. Again, rumor might not be true and I'm not 100% confident in it but it has shaken my confidence in "what's likely".
The whole. He hasn't happened yet logic.

Again I got no problem with you thinking Wolf isn't likely. There's some logic to that line of thinking.

It's just the logic of he hasn't happened yet so he isn't likely. It's just counting your chickens before they hatch..

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

I like both series but Punch Out's sales eclipses Star Tropics by a mile and wasn't ever demanded in west as hard as Little Mac.

Sakurai saw potential in Little Mac and his demand here in the North America region is large, thanks to how popular his game then and even now.

His NES game is still remembered and is in mainstream media when it comes to the NES thanks to Mike Tyson face being in the game.

If try to use other western popular franchises, then it better be Zelda and Metroid you're using for numbers because all others won't ever touch Punch Out's popularity.
Quick correction. Sakurai loved the Punch Out arcade games. He realized that the NES version was popular but the arcades are masterpiece. (think it's called "This Little Pepper is Hot" It's on Source Gaming, I translated it).

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

While this is true, I haven't actually see anyone comparing Punch Out to Star Tropics. Unless I've overlooked a post?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'll give Startropics this, it has a nice soundtrack. Though I still find it odd how it was only released in the West.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Charizard, ROB, Olimar, and a few others were changed. Not overhauled, but they were still considerably changed enough to be drastically different from their counterparts. Also, Yink is a clone of Link, not Tink, as Tink doesn't share the same neutral special, neutral air, up smash, and a couple other notes I've forgotten.

But let's stop there for a second and realize what just happened here. I posted a comment regarding who I wanted, and you're trying to shoot it down. Any reason for that?
I'm not trying to say you shouldn't support Yink, I enjoy healthy debates. That, and I've still the urge to argue against a character I don't like since a certain dumb character I shall not name for the sake of preventing arguments kept getting brought up in other threads

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
To be honest, Startropics 1&2, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Kid Icarus: OM&M are the only games I think of that were major Western only releases.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
The whole. He hasn't happened yet logic.

Again I got no problem with you thinking Wolf isn't likely. There's some logic to that line of thinking.

It's just the logic of he hasn't happened yet so he isn't likely. It's just counting your chickens before they hatch..
He hasn't happened yet so he's less likely ties directly into my theory, you can't separate the two points. Again, maybe at the very end if they have time ala clone production in Melee, Brawl and Smash for... but as a "main course" Dlc offering I think it's a little unlikely especially if we know the characters that were probably in Shinys April data discoveries.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Toad screams at me as someone that would be in by now if he was meant to be in.
Not a single Super Mario series newcomer for Brawl, and two added for Smash Wii U/3DS, neither of which being Toad. Instead we get a character who is a more recent addition to the franchise (and during the time she was decided for the roster, had very few roles) and Bowser Jr. (along with the Koopalings) piloting a Clown Car.

Best bet would be the newer Captain Toad, if Sakurai is willing to forgo his signature lack of jumping ability.
I always forget about Toad. I thought he had decent chances early on in the smash 4 speculation, but when Rosalina was confirmed I thought his chances were dead, along with any other mario newcomers. I was partly wrong, but still surprised that Toad was so far down on their include list. Now with Captain Toad as a thing, I could actually see him as DLC. I'd be a little disappointed, as I think we've had enough Mario additions this game, but still happy as Toad is definitely a deserving character.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be honest, Startropics 1&2, Pokemon Puzzle League, and Kid Icarus: OM&M are the only games I think of that were major Western only releases.
Eternal Darkness?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
"Wolf hasn't happened yet so he's not as likely" sounds like circular logic but I definitely see the reasoning behind that. The entire context of his character (already having stuff to go off of as a veteran, popularity, etc.) makes him more likely to pop up as an early arrival; it seems odd that a character with what he has going for him would take so long for the development team to get to, or at least it does to me.

It doesn't mean he's completely unlikely now, but the more time passes the less I think he's coming back. I'm no expert and would be happy to be proved wrong (Wolf is really the only character I have any investment in, because I really enjoyed him in Brawl and don't really like Brawl enough to go back and play it now that Sm4sh is a thing; otherwise I'm just happy to have any new character to play around with), it's just my gut feeling.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Tink has Link's moveset.
C U S T O M B O I Z
No.
Toon Link has several different attacks from Link AND Young Link.
Young Link has the same moves as Link (aka different ones from T. Link) fire arrows, and now, thanks to a few changes to Link, Young Link has different moves from him as well.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
My whole low confidence on Wolf has been a gut feeling kind of thing too. Him just not coming back for whatever reason is just something I can see them doing sadly

Just as Firus said, I would LOVE to be wrong.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No.
Toon Link has several different attacks from Link AND Young Link.
Young Link has the same moves as Link (aka different ones from T. Link) fire arrows, and now, thanks to a few changes to Link, Young Link has different moves from him as well.
Please. 2 moves or so isn't enough to justify 3 versions of the same character with a similar moveset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom