• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Nah, she just has Anime Character syndrome
Rule #1 in battles:
Don't tell your opponents what move you're about to use unless extremely necessary
Rule 2: Show off that booty by poledancing

Here are the dumbest things I've experienced with counters
*Roy charging Flare Blade* SHULK TURNED BLUE! ATTAAAAAACK *Roy dies*
*Captain Falcon's first frames of Falcon Punch* BETTER COUNTER NOW! *gets it on the final counter frames for Double Team and wins*
I only died on the first one

KENITH POWER VISION IS LITERALLY ONE OF THE MOST BROKEN MOVES IN THE GAME

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Here's how I rank the counters in the whole game

1. :4shulk:
  2. :4littlemac:
  3. :4marth:/:4lucina:
  4. :4lucario:
  5. :4myfriends:
  6. :4feroy:
  7. :4greninja:
  8. :4palutena:
I like that they kept Shulk close to Xenoblade in that fact, he is supposed to have a really good counter.

D

Deleted member

The column said some characters are better in 1v1 meaning your claim it's focused entirely on FFA was invalid. Not to mention there's a reason we're getting balance patches

Saying 'I'll probably beat you' is worse than saying git gud, not to mention most fighters play differently and there's nothing that replicates Smash well enough, though Rivals of Aether looks pretty close
>your statement is incorrect cause you're a bad player
>lol, I won't face you. Because that won't prove anything

Whatever.

Funny thing is, I'm not even saying I can't handle those things, I'm merely pointing out balance issues. But of course, you dissent from public opinion and people lose their **** as always... nice.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Lol at Federation Force hate. Just lol.

This is literally all I will ever have to say on the matter.

D

Deleted member

where's Peach?
She doesn't get to hang out with them because it's her neutral B
She's like that person from your group of friends that brings their younger sibling with them when the group is hanging out somewhere

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As a shulk main (who hasnt played in ages) yeah it really is. That **** has giant hitboxes and hits super hard.

Power vision (the custom) is also disgusting
Well then.
I wish I knew whether or Iai Counter was any good, but because I have no friends and can't ever connect to a tourney I'll never use it against anybody ...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
>your statement is incorrect cause you're a bad player
>lol, I won't face you. Because that won't prove anything

Whatever.

Funny thing is, I'm not even saying I can't handle those things, I'm merely pointing out balance issues. But of course, you dissent from public opinion and people lose their **** as always... nice.
That kid who whined about Sm4sh being horribly unbalanced on the Mewtwo thread said Mewtwo should be super aggressive at all times and claimed he was better than most people in the thread. It CAN be the player's fault

lol you haven't seen me, I hate Splatoon and go full weeb on a Japanese show in which people transform into super heroes to fight monsters in school, I've got nothing against different opinions, but it all lies in the reasons for said opinions

D

Deleted member

I honestly can't wait for the day For Glory allows customs and all you have is Power Vision spammers, Dongbenders and campy villagers
And then proceeding to get some serious disrespect from Custom Ganon
Was there such a huge uproar several years ago when Star Fox Adventures was announced?
There still is

Looking at the characters who have counters most of then aren't even played competitively.

Lucario and greninja have a few players but for the most part characters with counters aren't really played at all. Hell greninja's counter barely used at all.

Says something about their strength :/

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Looking at the characters who have counters most of then aren't even played competitively.

Lucario and greninja have a few players but for the most part characters with counters aren't really played at all. Hell greninja's counter barely used at all.

Yeah if they were broken I'd think they would be higher tiered, hm.

Chrono.

People are spamming NoA's Twitter asking for the Ballot results. :facepalm:
Was there such a huge uproar several years ago when Star Fox Adventures was announced?
The game isn't exactly viewed fondly by SF fans. The best compliment you'll get is "It's a good Zelda game".

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
*Little Mac counters a move coming from out of the stage*
Uh, yeah, "good"
That's because you're a damn idiot if you counter off stage as Mac unless it's guaranteed , safe or for recovery options. That's your fault for countering off-stage like a lunatic.

Is Shulk's really that good? I thought Little Mac's was by far the best.
What about customs?
Shulk's is better because of how it works with his Monado stances, it moves him forward, how it lingers after the animation and just overall powerful.

Mac's is great and it lingers as well but you can't use it safely off-stage. As for Customs, Shulk's are the most dangerous of them all. All of Shulk's counters are great and it fits his character.

where's Peach?
Peach's is a counter but a 'counter' that no Peach main EVER uses.

Nope and the excuse was that it came after 64, best game of the series. It wasn't as bad as Wind Waker, the original Metroid Prime, Bayonetta 2 and Mario 3D World which that game got massive amount of salt.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Shulk's pretty good albeit on the slow side. The counter is terrifying
I honestly can't wait for the day For Glory allows customs and all you have is Power Vision spammers, Dongbenders and campy villagers
And then proceeding to get some serious disrespect from Custom Ganon

There still is
Dong Copter has no reason to be that spammable with Super Armour and a windbox

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not sure but there was for The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and the original Metroid Prime.
The game isn't exactly viewed fondly by SF fans. The best compliment you'll get is "It's a good Zelda game".
There still is
Well, it just shows people are overall adverse to change.

Federation Force is just another example of that.

Seems like history is always bound to repeat itself, after all...

People are spamming NoA's Twitter asking for the Ballot results. :facepalm:
Unsurprisingly. :rolleyes:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My whole view on the whole Federation Force thing is that it was a case of awful timing. Like, people would have likely had a more positive reception to it if a mainline Metroid title was announced beforehand, or if the last Metroid game wasn't a game that came out five years ago to near unanimous disapproval.

I mean, the petition is still dumb, but in my opinion people still have the right to be upset. I probably won't get the game since I've got a nice backlog built up and it doesn't appeal to me based on what was shown, but eh.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Federation Force doesn't look like the Metroid I was waiting for but this whole "writing it off as garbage" thing people are doing makes zero sense to me. When the game is actually out and we actually have a full concept of what the game is like you can make judgments, but even then you could just...not play the game and wait to see what happens further in the series instead of assuming that one spinoff means the entire series is torched. Just because we haven't heard explicit news of a work on a mainline Metroid title also doesn't mean nothing is being worked on.

It's just very bizarre to me the amount of effort people are investing into hating something we know so little about right now. I was really disappointed at the initial announcement especially since Other M was such a huge letdown for me, but it's been 3+ months and like...I dunno, isn't it exhausting to be so actively angry about something that trivial? Or maybe that's just me.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My whole view on the whole Federation Force thing is that it was a case of awful timing. Like, people would have likely had a more positive reception to it if a mainline Metroid title was announced beforehand, or if the last Metroid game wasn't a game that came out five years ago to near unanimous disapproval.

I mean, the petition is still dumb, but in my opinion people still have the right to be upset. I probably won't get the game since I've got a nice backlog built up and it doesn't appeal to me based on what was shown, but eh.
This.
There's a case of rabid fans taking it too far, but they're upset for a reason.
I only just recently got into Metroid, and even before that I was like "Nintendo, really? Now?".:facepalm:

IMO they should have either
A) Saved the game's reveal until they were working on an actual Metroid game
B) Made it a new IP*
C) Just said they were working on Metroid before revealing it

Things would have went much smoother.
*I honestly believe it did start out as a new IP

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Here are my gripes with Fed ****up
First game in 5 years is a spinoff
Last game was Other M
The need to slap the name Prime despite Prime being canon (granted it's a nitpick)
And my biggest complaint on the matter: No confirmation on a traditional Metroid game even being in the works

Federation Force doesn't look like the Metroid I was waiting for but this whole "writing it off as garbage" thing people are doing makes zero sense to me. When the game is actually out and we actually have a full concept of what the game is like you can make judgments, but even then you could just...not play the game and wait to see what happens further in the series instead of assuming that one spinoff means the entire series is torched. Just because we haven't heard explicit news of a work on a mainline Metroid title also doesn't mean nothing is being worked on.

It's just very bizarre to me the amount of effort people are investing into hating something we know so little about right now. I was really disappointed at the initial announcement especially since Other M was such a huge letdown for me, but it's been 3+ months and like...I dunno, isn't it exhausting to be so actively angry about something that trivial? Or maybe that's just me.
Pretty much my opinions exactly. Especially Opossum's part.

D

Deleted member

That's because you're a damn idiot if you counter off stage as Mac unless it's guaranteed , safe or for recovery options. That's your fault for countering off-stage like a lunatic.

Shulk's is better because of how it works with his Monado stances, it moves him forward, how it lingers after the animation and just overall powerful.

Mac's is great and it lingers as well but you can't use it safely off-stage. As for Customs, Shulk's are the most dangerous of them all. All of Shulk's counters are great and it fits his character.

Peach's is a counter but a 'counter' that no Peach main EVER uses.

Nope and the excuse was that it came after 64, best game of the series. It wasn't as bad as Wind Waker, the original Metroid Prime, Bayonetta 2 and Mario 3D World which that game got massive amount of salt.
I meant when you counter a move that makes Mac goes toward the blast zone
One time, I used my getup ledge jump, Luigi jumps, expecting a FAir I counter but he goes past me and BAirs instead.
I got the kill but he got the disrespect

Last edited by a moderator:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I'm actually looking forward to it as a Metroid fan.
Yeah, I said it.
Because the entirety of this series has been around Samus doing Samus things. Which is usually condensed to a single planet or area that ends up getting blown up anyway.

There's so much we don't know about the universe AROUND Samus, with other worlds and the Federation itself, and even the Chozo and Space Pirates. And that's something I think the game is going to at least TRY and touch upon.

Of course, that's all assumption. The game could do none of that. It could be awful. Hard to tell from having only the trailer to go off of.
But that goes for BOTH sides.

The timing was still horrible though, no denying that. I can understand why some people are rustled.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Please, it's more than one attack.

But it's unbalanced since it makes it clear the game was balanced for FFAs where KOs are more commonplace. As such, there are a lot of random elements that are frustrating for 1v1 play. Sakurai has said himself he doesn't see Smash as a competitive fighter, I don't know why you're arguing with me.

Yes, you can play it competitively, but that doesn't immediately fix all the elements in the game that disrupt that sort of play. A lot of characters have moves and elements that are not meant for 1v1.
When did I once say it had to be a competitive fighter lol, I just said it's definitely balanced

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
When did I once say it had to be a competitive fighter lol, I just said it's definitely balanced
I wouldn't go as far as saying "definitely." There are definitely some imbalances. I don't even play competitively but I can say that it's not fully balanced.

D

Deleted member

Personally, I'm gonna wait and see how FF turns out
It has an interesting concept but I need to see more ganeplay first

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Yeah, I said it.
Because the entirety of this series has been around Samus doing Samus things. Which is usually condensed to a single planet or area that ends up getting blown up anyway.

There's so much we don't know about the universe AROUND Samus, with other worlds and the Federation itself, and even the Chozo and Space Pirates. And that's something I think the game is going to at least TRY and touch upon.

Of course, that's all assumption. The game could do none of that. It could be awful. Hard to tell from having only the trailer to go off of.
Actually, Ridley, the Chozo and I think Sylux were confirmed to not be in the game iirc

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, I said it.

Actually, they did play it at E3, and from what I understand the trailer does not do it justice.

D

Deleted member

That kid who whined about Sm4sh being horribly unbalanced on the Mewtwo thread said Mewtwo should be super aggressive at all times and claimed he was better than most people in the thread. It CAN be the player's fault

lol you haven't seen me, I hate Splatoon and go full weeb on a Japanese show in which people transform into super heroes to fight monsters in school, I've got nothing against different opinions, but it all lies in the reasons for said opinions
I have no idea what you're talking about but ok.

I've given reasons, counters are considerably stronger than previous games, and with the rage mechanic, they can easily earn a kill with little effort.

Sonic spam is awful, some characters like Ike and Browser fight a near impossible uphill battle against his hit and run tactic.

And don't you think it's absurd that Roy has moves that can KO much more quickly than Ike despite being like 3x as fast and having better air game?

Can these issues be dealt with? Ofc. However, does that make the game properly balanced? No, I don't see how my statements are in any way wrong when I'm dealing with facts.

I'm not saying "OMG, THIS IS OP, PLS NERF" I'm saying, "these elements are holding the game back from being more enjoyable because proper thought was not put in when defining certain mechanics. It's not fun to slip up, and lose a match when you were far in the lead due to a well placed counter. I know Sakurai did this to raise the skill floor, but it does take away from the enjoyment.

Losing a stock at 30% because someone caught you in a skilled combo is fine, but losing a stock at 30% because someone predicted a combo starter or a poke and pressed down b is absurd.

And don't even get me started on the air dodge mechanics.

Can these things be dealt with? Yes. But it's not enjoyable to always be aware of cheap tactics players can exploit to earn easy KOs that take little skill.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I meant when you counter a move that makes Mac goes toward the blast zone
One time, I used my getup ledge jump, Luigi jumps, expecting a FAir I counter but he goes past me and BAirs instead.
I got the kill but he got the disrespect
That's due to jank AKA every Smash game has.

Melee and Smash 4 are the kings in that regard of how much janky stuff that game has.

Here are my gripes with Fed ****up
First game in 5 years is a spinoff
Last game was Other M
The need to slap the name Prime despite Prime being canon (granted it's a nitpick)
And my biggest complaint on the matter: No confirmation on a traditional Metroid game even being in the works
There's a half confirmation but that's them saying if we start now it's gonna be an NX title. Although I am in the belief that another Metroid game is still in the works.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I've given reasons, counters are considerably stronger than previous games, and with the rage mechanic, they can easily earn a kill with little effort.

Sonic spam is awful, some characters like Ike and Browser fight a near impossible uphill battle against his hit and run tactic.

And don't you think it's absurd that Roy has moves that can KO much more quickly than Ike despite being like 3x as fast and having better air game?

Can these issues be dealt with? Ofc. However, does that make the game properly balanced? No, I don't see how my statements are in any way wrong when I'm dealing with facts.

I'm not saying "OMG, THIS IS OP, PLS NERF" I'm saying, "these elements are holding the game back from being more enjoyable because proper thought was not put in when defining certain mechanics. It's not fun to slip up, and lose a match when you were far in the lead due to a well placed counter. I know Sakurai did this to raise the skill floor, but it does take away from the enjoyment.

Losing a stock at 30% because someone caught you in a skilled combo is fine, but losing a stock at 30% because someone predicted a combo starter or a poke and pressed down b is absurd.

Can these things be dealt with? Yes. But it's not enjoyable to always be aware of cheap tactics players can exploit to earn easy KOs that take little skill.
Well, alright then. I'm not gonna argue about this, you actually seem to be thinking very rationally. Have a nice day.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
At least it's not another pinball game with the Metroid Prime name (haven't played it so I don't know if that DS game was good or not).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

First of all, my point on some problems being the player's fault is still true, and unless it was a fully charged Flare Blade or Warlock Punch thing, you shouldn't be dying to counters at 30%. The earliest the strongest counter can kill by countering a poke-ish thing is about 60%, this is clearly you're fault
At least it's not another pinball game with the Metroid Prime name (haven't played it so I don't know if that DS game was good or not).
Prime Pinball was positively received, and it didn't get any backlash. Though that's because we weren't in a drought

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Every fighting game has at least a couple of balance issues obviously, perfectly balancing a game is impossible unless you have like 2 characters or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom