• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
From what I know Disney has a say, and possibly a majority of the rights to the character. I follow Disney Infinity's development rather religiously. They outright said they wouldn't even have to ask SE to use Sora in DI if they wanted to. No legal loopholes or anything. That makes me think Disney's the main right holder of the character, what with the KH content already in 3.0. On the other hand they said there are characters they can't get their hands on for rights issues, namely Captain EO because of the Jackson Estate.

Just food for thought. It would definitely have to go by Disney.
Ahh, so yeah Disney would definitely needn't approve of Sora. Unlikely then. Thanks for the clarification! So Sora isn't in DI?

I'm curious......would yall prefer old school Mickey or King Mickey if he appeared in smash?

I think there'd be more creative moves if old school Mickey was chosen, but King Mickey would be more flashy and bad arse
I agree with you; both designs would have its appeal. Personally, I'd enjoy old school Mickey Mouse. Just for nostalgic reasons and hopefully a PacMan like moveset where he represents all of Disney.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ahh, so yeah Disney would definitely needn't approve of Sora. Unlikely then. Thanks for the clarification! So Sora isn't in DI?
Not yet, at least. The Keyblade is in the game as the ultimate unlockable for having all the characters (it used to be the Lightsaber, but since 3.0's entirely Star Wars themed they changed it up) while a King Mickey costume-change disc for Classic Mickey was given out at D23. There's some speculation that he could be added in a future iteration though.

Khoru

Smash Champion
i really don't understand why this thread sees a need to demonize wayforward

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I'd choose Modern Mickey if he were to revolve around a Sorcerers Apprentice moveset. If not Classic Mickey

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I think if 3rd Party DLC only is a thing; then Platinum or Suda-51 would also be easy developers to ask/ get approval. The only issue is a lot of the "contenders" aren't viable imo. Bayonetta has that risqué issue, and Travis Touchdown's series might be dormant from now on (I haven't heard anything about No More Heroes 3). Okami and Viewtiful Joe are in even worse shape.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Oh snap guys, I'm popular.

I know, I'd hate for her to be in the presence of annoying, garbage tier characters like Sora and Riku.

:troll:
Oh I gave up on those two a LOOOONG time ago. The difference between Lighting and them is that Sora and Riku have good games. :dazwa:

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
i really don't understand why this thread sees a need to demonize wayforward
Because unlike YCG (at least until a few recent tweets) they take it to a whole other level.

It's one thing to be sure of yourself when you actually have a good history with Nintendo like YCG (amiibo and sales of SK) and another when you're just....that one cool indie game company that let you release your games on their platformers.

D

Deleted member

I'm curious......would yall prefer old school Mickey or King Mickey if he appeared in smash?

I think there'd be more creative moves if old school Mickey was chosen, but King Mickey would be more flashy and bad arse
None of them
Because Mickey isn't a video game character and this is a game about Nintendo's Gaming Stars
We are deviating too far from the core of what makes Smash Smash
Nofunallowed.png

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think if 3rd Party DLC only is a thing; then Platinum or Suda-51 would also be easy developers to ask/ get approval. The only issue is a lot of the "contenders" aren't viable imo. Bayonetta has that risqué issue, and Travis Touchdown's series might be dormant from now on (I haven't heard anything about No More Heroes 3). Okami and Viewtiful Joe are in even worse shape.
Man, Amaterasu would be soooo awesome.
It would be so cool to see how they implement the drawing techniques from Okami.

D

Deleted member

You do realize that Bayonetta is owned by SEGA and Okami and Viewtiful Joe by Capcom, right?
Besides, I would be super salty if VJ got in

Okami and Viewtiful Joe are in even worse shape.
*sigh*
why are such good series dead.
Okami is a visual masterpiece (that I desperately need to finish) and Viewtiful Joe is so damn fun ( that I definietely need to finish the sequel for).

RIP both of them.
. . .they would also be amazing smash characters. Just like their Capcom buddy Phoenix

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Man the Shield damage is devastating in the patch.

I mean Little Mac's Down Smash absolutely damaged the shield to the point where it could almost break.

I actually see why Sakurai nerfed Marth/Lucina's Shield Breaker, it would break shields on contact even when it isn't fully charged

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Because unlike YCG (at least until a few recent tweets) they take it to a whole other level.

It's one thing to be sure of yourself when you actually have a good history with Nintendo like YCG (amiibo and sales of SK) and another when you're just....that one cool indie game company that let you release your games on their platformers.
Well to be fair, they have TECHNICALLY been with Nintendo since the GBC, so they kinda have a right to think that way.
Doesn't make it any less pretentious, but yeah.

Chrono.

With Wonder Red existing I don't see them using VJ at all (and yeah I'm aware they are completely different characters, inspirations aside).

And then there's the problems with WR himself.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Wonder Red should just be playable and have his Final Smash be Unite Platinum
But instead of how it works in the game
He would summon Wonder-Bayonetta and Wonder-Pose for a final ultimate legendary[...] combo

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
With Wonder Red existing I don't see them using VJ at all (and yeah I'm aware they are completely different characters, inspirations aside).

And then there's the problems with WR himself.
Wonder Red's most notorious issue was that his game came out way too late for Sakurai to give any though to. This might be his last chance to get into the roster spot with the Ballot because unless W101 gets a sequel, they probably won't consider even consider him for the next game.

He hit that bad sweetspot of his game being released around middle of Smash development right after the roster was set in stone.

He probably might get a next game but it looks bleak for the hero of Blossom City but I won't lose faith

I really hope that early outpouring of Wonder Red ballot support would at least show that some people liked W101. Maybe seeing that support was enough to at least attempt a second game with a little more advertisement on a better selling system. Although that's a bit of a pipe dream.
Good thing the W101 live on low chances!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still no Kapp'n. :( Blathers is hype though.

Also kinda disappointed Resetti isn't angry in his pose. Gotta wonder if it has to do with the infamous "Resetti scares the children of Europe" incident.
Either way this complicates things.
I already limited my amiibo buying list to Wario, possibly Duck Hunt (buying from a friend who got the pack), and Shovel Knight.
Now Resetti?

(And possibly Mewtwo and Sonic)

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
*sigh*
why are such good series dead.
Okami is a visual masterpiece (that I desperately need to finish) and Viewtiful Joe is so damn fun ( that I definietely need to finish the sequel for).
Because the game industry has no time for c-tier series anymore. B-tiers will be pumped out once in a blue moon and then when it sells ****e because the publisher put no push behind its advertising they can say "see this is why we don't make these anymore".

A-tier (of which the choices are pretty much open-world or shooter - with the unfinished remainder to be patched in post-release) or indie (whose success nowadays all too often hinge on how loud people can scream at the game while LPing it) those are your options. And Nintendo... if you want an extra two games a year or whatever their output is. :p

And that's why I'm just riding out this storm waiting for the industry to collapse in on itself while I quietly play SNES on my 24" TV from the 80s as I barricade myself in my room peeking my head out for Smash and wondering where the waves of JRPGs and 3D platformers went.

Naoshi

I have one issue with Wonder Red, bad sales and bleak future aside.

The game is all about uniting everyone, so it's kind of "pikmin" in a way. I feel it wouldn't be W101 without that kind of mechanic. I know Olimar worked on 3DS, but they had a very tough time getting him to work (the Pikmin had to be 30fps to even work). So I do wonder if Wonder Red is possible since the W101 characters are much more complex looking, and the massive amount of people are kinda necessary since you need them to form swords, fists, guns, etc. Then again my knowledge only extends to the demo I've played.

I would love to see him get in the game as he sounds exciting to play, but it really doesn't sound possible with the 3DS in the way...

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Last edited:

Naoshi

At least The Wonderful 101 has better chances of getting a sequel than Codename S.T.E.A.M. (and I really liked that game)
I totally forgot that game flopped worse than W101. Crazy.

Anyways I should realllyyy sleep haha

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

The game is all about uniting everyone, so it's kind of "pikmin" in a way. I feel it wouldn't be W101 without that kind of mechanic. I know Olimar worked on 3DS, but they had a very tough time getting him to work (the Pikmin had to be 30fps to even work). So I do wonder if Wonder Red is possible since the W101 characters are much more complex looking, and the massive amount of people are kinda necessary since you need them to form swords, fists, guns, etc. Then again my knowledge only extends to the demo I've played.

I would love to see him get in the game as he sounds exciting to play, but it really doesn't sound possible with the 3DS in the way...

I can understand this point, but have you played it? Wonder red would work on his own as you can only have one leader who calls all the shots at once and uses the wonder abilities which could make an entire moveset. Plus the game sort of stars and focuses on him more then the other partners. The other characters are there to work as backup, because the fights are so good but like a Micheal Bay movie where the enemies don't die, they always come back with more explosions!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I totally forgot that game flopped worse than W101. Crazy.

Anyways I should realllyyy sleep haha
It sold that poorly? Goddamn...that game is so good too. Has basically everything I like.

Steampunk, strategy, Fire Emblem characters, classic literature including the entire quartet from The Wizard of Oz, old-timey comicbook style, catchy as **** singalong theme song...

...It figures a game that seemed to be marketed to me specifically would do poorly...

Last edited:

Naoshi

I can understand this point, but have you played it? Wonder red would work on his own as you can only have one leader who calls all the shots at once and uses the wonder abilities which could make an entire moveset. Plus the game sort of stars and focuses on him more then the other partners. The other characters are there to work as backup, because the fights are so good but like a Micheal Bay movie where the enemies don't die, they always come back with more explosions!
I did say I played the demo lol

I guess something could work though. Would love to see that as he seems very interesting as a fighter. Shame his chances are pretty much dead as his game is a massive flop. (oh god i need to stop staying up and sleep already)

I just remembered I have the full game from Club Nintendo. Shame I lack the space to redownload it though...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Uh... let's see
The game is all about uniting everyone, so it's kind of "pikmin" in a way
Stop
I feel it wouldn't be W101 without that kind of mechanic.
STOP
T
O
P

It's not similar to Pikmin at all, why does everyone make that comparison?
Wonder Red doesn't need a gimmick, nor does he need the other Wonderful Ones to be "properly represented"
He doesn't even need them to make Ubite Morphs because as seen when they are finishing off the final boss, they literally create Unite Morphs out of thin air
Various concepts of his moveset have been made without the need to use such mechanic while also using other mechanics from the game
He could use only his Unite Hand and the shop upgrades(which are mapped to the shoulder buttons), he could "borrow" the Unite Morphs from the other members of the team(like how Ness takes moves from Paula and Poo), he could use the Unite Hand as a sort of "status"-like move that makes his moves use the Unite Morph and thus being stronger, etc.
Also, the first thing you do in the game is play as Solo Red
And you even do this later with Blue and another time with Red

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
It sold that poorly? Goddamn...that game is so good to. Has basically everything I like.

Steampunk, strategy, Fire Emblem characters, classic literature including the entire quartet from The Wizard of Oz, old-timey comicbook style, catchy as **** singalong theme song...

...It figures a game that seemed to be marketed to me specifically would do poorly...
Considering how the game wasn't marketed at all and was released in other continents two months later after its initial release, it was inevitable. I really enjoyed how it turned out; it was nice to see IS try something different once in a while and its concept could be expanded even more in a sequel. I expected at least 200k but as of right now it's only reached 50k

At least I can pretend I'm using Henry Fleming thanks to the steampunk Mii gunner outfit :drsad:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It was barbecue people saw the game and thought it was jingoism.

**** that notion. The game is amazing.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
It sold that poorly? Goddamn...that game is so good too. Has basically everything I like.

I have an irrational hatred for people who draw the Oz Scarecrow with a Pumpkin head.

TBH the demo killed my hype for Codename Steam. Waiting what felt like 5 minutes for the aliens to not move was really annoying.

Thankfully they eventually halved the time with an update but that was something that feels like it shouldn't have been a thing in the first place.
I'll get around to it eventually.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I did say I played the demo lol

I guess something could work though. Would love to see that as he seems very interesting as a fighter. Shame his chances are pretty much dead as his game is a massive flop. (oh god i need to stop staying up and sleep already)

I just remembered I have the full game from Club Nintendo. Shame I lack the space to redownload it though...
Ah I see, yeah, it is definitely something that could easily be repped without contradicting the source. But sadly as you said, it seems it won't happen, this game at least. Maybe next game. He would be awesome and unique to have. Especially a level from the game. IF you can get an SD, I recommend you play it, it's really good!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
At least The Wonderful 101 has better chances of getting a sequel than Codename S.T.E.A.M. (and I really liked that game)
I secretly blame Splatoon, fans who hated it at first when it was announced because it wasn't Majora's Mask 3D and Advance Wars at E3 2014 and no advertising for Codename: STEAM's failures.

Plus it didn't help that the amiibo compatibility with the FE characters wasn't really big considering it released a month before Robin and Lucina came out and all 4 amiibos are rare as hell so not a lot of support from there.

And the biggest turnoff was the battle speed which they updated on and was a much better and fun game because of it.

Especially considering the setting was amazing

Shroob

Sup?
So, a serious question here.

When we get new dlc characters, for the 3ds at least, are they just going to shove the dlc characters in a separate screen ala the dlc stages?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have an irrational hatred for people who draw the Oz Scarecrow with a Pumpkin head.
AND THERE YOU GO LISTING MY ONLY GRIPE WITH THE GAME AS IF ON CUE.

It's likely because Jack Pumpkinhead is another Oz character with that exact description already.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
That cliffhanger ending of Lincoln possibly being alive was the perfect setup for a sequel... but shame on the low sales

The online mode was actually great (not even STEAM is safe from having a Fox as the top tier), there are still many great literary characters to be used, but most important... I CAN PILOT A LINCOLN MECHA?!

Retroend

Retro Gamer
NNID
Re7ron
3DS FC
3669-1436-3958
Switch FC
SW-5947-2141-6122
so are there any character slots found? if not, good. now i don't have to hear this shovel knight nonsense for a while. however, it means wolf will never be found... unless he wins the ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom