• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Invitational Announced, Who gets an Invite?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nintendo obviously didn't learn from its mistake from E3 2013. Doesn't the company even know that not everyone has the luxury to go to the specified Best Buy locations?

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo holding official smash tournaments, oh man. After 12 years we finally got it. The smash documentary added so much hype that now we actually have a 16 man invitational for players to compete in Smash 4 wiiU before it is released. When I was reading this I literally screamed and clapped in my chair.

I can't wait to watch this on stream! I can't wait to play in the best buy tournament that will be awesome!

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'd laugh so hard if all of the competitors brought the third party adapters to use the GameCube controllers on the Wii U. It'd be so awkward and it would be so awesome to watch. The resistance. The GameCube controller will always be the best controller. Nintendo needs to understand that.

Last edited:

BaykersDzn

Smash Rookie
I'd laugh so hard if all of the competitors brought the third party adapters to use the GameCube controllers on the Wii U. It'd be so awkward and it would be so awesome to watch. The resistance. The GameCube controller will always be the best controlled. Nintendo needs to understand that.
Thats just opinion tho. I personally love the GC controller as well but the pro controller isn't so bad once you give it a chance. I actually know a lot of people who use wii motes to play PM or Brawl because they would rather use N64 controller and just straight up do not like the gamecube controller lol.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I'd laugh so hard if all of the competitors brought the third party adapters to use the GameCube controllers on the Wii U. It'd be so awkward and it would be so awesome to watch. The resistance. The GameCube controller will always be the best controlled. Nintendo needs to understand that.
thats seriously opinionated.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
That list is really good, nice diversity of new and old Melee and Brawl players. It'll be interesting to see how styles collide in a game nobody has played yet

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Thats just opinion tho. I personally love the GC controller as well but the pro controller isn't so bad once you give it a chance. I actually know a lot of people who use wii motes to play PM or Brawl because they would rather use N64 controller and just straight up do not like the gamecube controller lol.
I used to use the Wiichuk. I know plenty of people who have tried using the Wii U Pro controller though Dolphin and say it's not so great. I have one and I'll try that or the Pro Commander if I truly have to, but come on man. That controller was made for Smash.

@ Road Death Wheel Road Death Wheel sorry if that sounded so opinionated. But all of the smashers listed in the article for the invitational play with GameCube controllers. It's an event promoted by Nintendo, so I'm not sure what they'll do. When it gets closer I'm curious to see if some of them give insight as to what they think. They could always adapt to one of the newer controllers, but they've spent over 13 years using the GameCube controller to play Smash. That's a long time.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If Reggie-Fils-A-Mech isn't announced as a Smash 4 character at E3, I will eat my ears.

Because I don't want to hear ANY excuses for him not showing up. :V

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Nintendo obviously didn't learn from its mistake from E3 2013. Doesn't the company even know that not everyone has the luxury to go to the specified Best Buy locations?
Give them some slack, the whole E3 Best Buy events must be very expensive and hard to organize for both Nintendo and Best Buy, and the locations that they picked out last year were some of the bigger Best Buys in the country. I don't think they would be able to have these located at every Best Buy due to this.

Even though they only had one Wii U at the E3 Best Buy event that I went to last year, and I had to wait an extremely long time just to play Mario Kart 8 for an extremely short time, at least I got to play the game at all. If that's what it takes to get a sneak-peak of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, then I'm all for repeating the process again. I just hope the event runs a bit smoother this time around and they have more than one Wii U to play Smash on.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
That's really weird that they keep choosing Best Buy for stuff like this when Best Buy doesn't do anything for them really. Other next gen consoles are getting like 10-dollars-back-for-preorder deals and bundles that include 4 controllers and a bunch of reward points and Nintendo has had literally nothing except 20% off eshop credit

Corbo

Smash Rookie
I would assume the players they're referring to are famous gamers? Chuggaaconroy, PewDiePie, IJustine... I myself would prefer pro smash players but it would make more sense to hire players who have 10 million followers in their fanbase lol...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@ Handy Man Handy Man : Not enough Wii U systems was basically the major flaw with last year's E3 event. For something as big as the Smash-Fest, you'll need WAY more than just one Wii U system to satisfy the customers.

@ NeffJeff95 NeffJeff95 : Chances are, no.

Lawn Chair

Smash Journeyman
@Wasp Why do have such a distaste against Competitive smashers? Did M2K sleep with your mom or something?

R0Y

Smash Master
Have the previous Best Buy game previews been in Canada too?

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I used to use the Wiichuk. I know plenty of people who have tried using the Wii U Pro controller though Dolphin and say it's not so great. I have one and I'll try that or the Pro Commander if I truly have to, but come on man. That controller was made for Smash.

@ Road Death Wheel Road Death Wheel sorry if that sounded so opinionated. But all of the smashers listed in the article for the invitational play with GameCube controllers. It's an event promoted by Nintendo, so I'm not sure what they'll do. When it gets closer I'm curious to see if some of them give insight as to what they think. They could always adapt to one of the newer controllers, but they've spent over 13 years using the GameCube controller to play Smash. That's a long time.
Im not saying they have to move on its just im pretty sure there not bring the GC back. i think a smash built for the pro controller would be fine.

JbrockPony

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JbrockPony
This is Nintendo's chance to potentially increase their PR with our community. If they do take the pro players we know and love then we have some good years to come in this generation.

I'd be VERY jealous of the pro players that would be invited to the tourney and gets to meet Sakurai. Hell I bet Sakurai might enter the tournament himself.

Either way, my wrist strap is broken at this point lol.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Your body may be ready, but Nintendo isn't lol :p

6 more weeks and WERE ALL READY!!

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
You two seriously think it was intended to be this way? It's really something you need to master because it normally doesn't appear when playing... Even the hardest level of cpu's don't use it and still you say that these wavedashing, L-canceling etc are no glitches? It's not shown in any instructional video, so it is something users discovered by accident and worked it out to be some sort of usable technique... it might be something standard nowadays to play with, but it's still a glitch that is used again and again. you just can't deny that.

anyways, it's obvious you two play with these techniques... I'd rather avoid using them...
And i really hope Sakurai's new smash games will get rid of them.
Yes I can deny that. L canceling was on the smash 64 website, and wavedashing isn't a glitch. Just because it's unintentional doesn't mean it's a glitch. A glitch implies an error in programming, but there's no error of that sort to be found. it also helps that the game was published with wavedashing well in mind. There's all kinds of stuff the highest level CPUs don't do. Melee Fox and Falco CPUs don't short hop laser and Melee Samus's CPU doesn't missile cancel, even though the land canceling is a feature. Jigglypuff's CPU uses Rest in only a certain event match. Captain Falcon's and Ganondorf's CPUs don't (to my knowledge) use downB to recover, even though it refreshes midair jump.
A technique doesn't need to be in an instructional video to not be a glitch. Walljumping isn't in Melee's tutortial, yet it's required to finish Young Link's target test. Trajectory DI and Smash DI aren't mentioned anywhere.

You need to learn your stuff.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I'm definitely going to Best Buy for this. Does anybody know the specifics of these demos? How long are you allowed to play, how many setups, and is it 4-person group games?

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yes I can deny that. L canceling was on the smash 64 website, and wavedashing isn't a glitch. Just because it's unintentional doesn't mean it's a glitch. A glitch implies an error in programming, but there's no error of that sort to be found. it also helps that the game was published with wavedashing well in mind. There's all kinds of stuff the highest level CPUs don't do. Melee Fox and Falco CPUs don't short hop laser and Melee Samus's CPU doesn't missile cancel, even though the land canceling is a feature. Jigglypuff's CPU uses Rest in only a certain event match. Captain Falcon's and Ganondorf's CPUs don't (to my knowledge) use downB to recover, even though it refreshes midair jump.
A technique doesn't need to be in an instructional video to not be a glitch. Walljumping isn't in Melee's tutortial, yet it's required to finish Young Link's target test. Trajectory DI and Smash DI aren't mentioned anywhere.

You need to learn your stuff.
Exactly right. Sakurai said he noticed wavedashing in the game's code but left it in on purpose. Just like you said, it's not an error, so it's not a glitch. Well said.

BaykersDzn

Smash Rookie
I'm definitely going to Best Buy for this. Does anybody know the specifics of these demos? How long are you allowed to play, how many setups, and is it 4-person group games?
No info on anything really right now. but on there website for this it says all details will be revealed at a later date !

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Exactly right. Sakurai said he noticed wavedashing in the game's code but left it in on purpose. Just like you said, it's not an error, so it's not a glitch. Well said.
Heh, well I doubt they noticed wavedashing in the actual code since it's such a cause-effect phenomenon. It was probably more like they were testing the game with GameCube controllers and noticed what happens if you air dodge without/barely leaving the ground. Just makes sense with an air maneuver that's a thruster.

Last edited:

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
well first off were really not sure who it is exactly?

because Nintendo could be referring to their "professional players" AKA "testers". lol

I don't think you can use the GC controller on the Wii U? am I right?

Best bet is Wii U pro controller AKA Xbox 360 Controller lol
It's a switch that's going to take time but I don't think any pros are going to miss a Nintendo sponsored invitational tournament because they can't use the GameCube Controller. As for after didn't M2K say he was working on something controller related?

Handy Man

Smash Ace
At last year's event, Wind Waker HD was single player only, Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong were two players, and Super Mario 3D World was two to four players. The Wind Waker HD demo was about 10 minutes, while the others took anywhere between 2 to 5 minutes.

For Super Smash Bros., I'm expecting two to four players being allowed, and one match per group of people, so however long it takes to finish one match before going back in line to play again. The last event had only one Wii U, but this is SSB that we're talking about here, I wouldn't be surprised if we had more than one Wii U station this time around.

Of course, this is all just speculation on my part, and Nintendo will announce the details at a later date. However, this should give you a good rough draft on what to expect from this event.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Im not saying they have to move on its just im pretty sure there not bring the GC back. i think a smash built for the pro controller would be fine.
It's not entirely outside of the realm of possibility. I understand it will probably not happen as much as I'd like it to. But you should try playing Smash with a GameCube controller, and then try playing with the Pro Controller. Afterwards, tell me how you feel. When Sakurai created the controls of Melee, he did it with the design of the GC controller in mind. For example, the A button is directly below two surrounding jump buttons(X and Y) which is perfect for short hop Nair and short hopping in general. The jump buttons are placed well so you can jump with one finger and dodge with the other(making wavedashing pretty optimal if you ask me). That's just one example. The analog stick placement doesn't look the best for smash. It seems odd to me. Having to move my right hand up to use the C stick quickly after jumping from a face button input below.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
At last year's event, Wind Waker HD was single player only, Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong were two players, and Super Mario 3D World was two to four players. The Wind Waker HD demo was about 10 minutes, while the others took anywhere between 2 to 5 minutes.

For Super Smash Bros., I'm expecting two to four players being allowed, and one match per group of people, so however long it takes to finish one match before going back in line to play again. The last event had only one Wii U, but this is SSB that we're talking about here, I wouldn't be surprised if we had more than one Wii U station this time around.

Of course, this is all just speculation on my part, and Nintendo will announce the details at a later date. However, this should give you a good rough draft on what to expect from this event.
There will be Wii U setups everywhere. I'm sure they have an idea of what they're dealing with. If you don't recall when try had playable booths for Brawl at E3 in the past. The lines were massive. This is different, but it will still be bad. Hopefully they stock and prepare the stores properly.

Last edited:

Handy Man

Smash Ace
There will be Wii U setups everywhere. I'm sure they have an idea of what they're dealing with. If you don't recall when try had playable booths for Brawl at E3 in the past. The lines were massive. This is different, but it will still be bad. Hopefully the stock and prepare the stores properly.
These playable demos aren't just at E3 this year, they're also in Best Buys across the nation. That's a pretty big difference, as the general public aren't allowed to go to E3 expos. The lines will be way more massive for this event than the E3 2007 lines were for Brawl.

Also, how will this be bad exactly? Imagine if you tried to run something like this, you wouldn't do a great job with it and neither would I. I trust that Nintendo and Best Buy will improve from their results last year, and I'm just happy that I'll be able to play the game at all. Plus, keep in mind that whiny kids who play the game with items on high and spam Pikachu's Thunder will be playing this game too, so it's never going to be perfect for us competitive players.

EDIT: I just realized that you meant that the lines would still be bad instead of the event itself. Whoops.

Last edited:

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
I am so jealous, but I congratulate these fighters. You are some of the best, and I seriously hope for some good fights (Try to give us some good gameplay too!).

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
If they have people from our community (Prog and D1 PLS) commentate, it's VITAL that the commentators make it out to be the hype-est thing ever and respect the game a ton, even if it isn't as good as we're hoping. Nothing would take us out of Nintendo's good graces quicker than them using our commentators only for them to seem disinterested by the game.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
i don't give **** about those "awesome" players... i'd rather see that there's new content in this demo available for the invited players to play with so we get to see more new stuff. I'd rather see that instead of fox and marth-matches all the time. If the invitings would go to people who play with glitches and so called "advanced techniques" then so be it, but I'd gave others a chance rather than these guys who know the games too good... they don't need to be convinced still.

Please let the invitations go to smashfans who play at regular base. It would be best for everyone i think.
I think there should be a mix of people. Pro players, testers, maybe an internet personality here and there, and the "Smash Fans" you mention.

Top Bottom