• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Invitational Announced, Who gets an Invite?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am excited about this. Sad I won't be able to try it out as I am in Japan and unsure if there will be a similar event down the road. Psyched to see the pros try it out. We will get a real feel for the mechanics and gameplay with this invitational as they know the mechanics best.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I am excited about this. Sad I won't be able to try it out as I am in Japan and unsure if there will be a similar event down the road. Psyched to see the pros try it out. We will get a real feel for the mechanics and gameplay with this invitational as they know the mechanics best.
All that I hope for is for that this event is handled better than the E3 2013 event. But I guess the early bird gets the worm is also a vital note to keep in mind.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
@ChestyLaRue Azen won multiple MLG events for Melee, won Brawl tournaments before quitting, has held records in games (time trial/points) like Pokemon Puzzle League and Mario Kart, and in the world of PC Gaming was one of the top players on the NA server for LoL. And these are just the ones I know of - every game he touches he is one of the best and there are few people I can think of who even have a comparable resume across multiple titles, genres, and platforms. Most only excel at a single game, or a single genre (e.g. shooters), which I'm not sure qualifies as best "overall" gamer.

pickle962

Smash Lord
HOLY SH*T the best smash competitive players will be part of nintendos own smash 4 tournament? THIS should help give the wii u a MUCH needed boost!

link2702

Smash Champion
I am very curious just who they choose, with as little about competitive smash as nintendo knows, i have to wonder just which players they do actually know about.

SourPunch

Smash Rookie
This is definitely promising with Nintendo fully supporting smash as competitive

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Just for everyone wondering about if their store will have a tournament, I would suggest calling your local store. I would also suggest using the Store Locator:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12090&type=page&DCMP=rdr0001153

To find a store if you are unsure of one close to you.
Knowing Nintendo, they probably silenced the Best Buy locations that are working on hosting the event for now, so that there won't be any leaks. We'll find out which Best Buys are supported in due time.

KidKrimzon

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidKrimzon
And the nintendo releases the invitations to 16 people we've never heard of...

link2702

Smash Champion
And the nintendo releases the invitations to 16 people we've never heard of...
this is what worries me...

It'd be a massive slap in the face if they did this, yet I feel like it's probably what they'll end up doing....

LoneWolfRanger

Smash Apprentice
Even if the 16 are people that are never heard of, it still is a step in the right direction (the gamer)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Super hyped and that video was hilarious.

Now when can we expect Reggie Fils-Amech to be announced for SSB4?

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo holding official smash tournaments, oh man. After 12 years we finally got it. The smash documentary added so much hype that now we actually have a 16 man invitational for players to compete in Smash 4 wiiU before it is released. When I was reading this I literally screamed and clapped in my chair.

I can't wait to watch this on stream! I can't wait to play in the best buy tournament that will be awesome!

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
*sees Smash Fest* *camps out near Best Buy until June 10th*
In all seriousness, I can't wait to see SSB Invitational and Smash-Fest. I'm hoping that they'll release the Best Buy demo on the eShop and that the demo will have the up-to-date roster. If so, I'll be at Best Buy for a loooong time.

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
THANK YOU NINTENDO FOR CONTINUING TO BE DIFFERENT! all other companies are doing the typical conference, but getting a hands on of the game is what it is all about! Here are some thoughts I have on this!

V-K

Smash Ace
obviously the pro players who are gonna be invited are Nintendo interns

Last edited:

GTZ

Smash Ace
NNID
Arctic-Cat
I honestly think only 16 people is a bit.. off-putting. I do like what Nintendo is doing, but I wish it was more of a nationally competitive event like Smash Bros Brawl had. I love the idea of working your way up to national champ. I get the whole invitational status thing, but it just doesn't sit as well with me as the other idea I proposed.

Naturally I am powerless and am happy Nintendo is stepping in the right direction, but just being able to play a demo is a far cry from being able to compete at e3.

and are we talking about wii u or 3ds version here?

Last edited:

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Omigoodness. I need for them to do that here at my Best Buy. BestBuyPlz. *Proceeds to get on the floor and beg and throw money at the screen.*

Last edited:

Elite Smasher

Elite Smash Expert & Smashologist
NNID
Justin3
3DS FC
4253-3537-8467
@ Elite Smasher Elite Smasher
So, is THIS part of the final round of hype? :smirk:
Well you see, my prediction was before Nintendo gave us recognition. However, this is awesome news that supercedes my predicton for a final round of hype. I think Nintendo might sponsor more events like this later which is honestly unbelivable!

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Well you see, my prediction was before Nintendo gave us recognition. However, this is awesome news that supercedes my predicton for a final round of hype. I think Nintendo might sponsor more events like this later which is honestly unbelivable!
I'm just praying to God they'll sponsor more in the future!

D1

Banned via Administration
All I can say is I'm honored to be mentioned, even if it is a mock list, of who Nintendo might choose for the invitational. Thanks for the nod Alpha Zealot! I'll continue to keep traveling far and wide to increase the accessibility of our scene to the best of my ability.

Ven447

Smash Rookie
NNID
MinatoYuki
3DS FC
2492-5365-3559
IMO they should have a contest to see why someone should be picked for the Invitational Event to shift focus from the main people everyone watches to new up and coming

Top Bottom