• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Invitational Announced, Who gets an Invite?

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
i don't give **** about those "awesome" players... i'd rather see that there's new content in this demo available for the invited players to play with so we get to see more new stuff. I'd rather see that instead of fox and marth-matches all the time. If the invitings would go to people who play with glitches and so called "advanced techniques" then so be it, but I'd gave others a chance rather than these guys who know the games too good... they don't need to be convinced still.

Please let the invitations go to smashfans who play at regular base. It would be best for everyone i think.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
You know, Nintendo could select a whole different amount of players and probably none of these whatsoever. It's just a thought, but it's possible none of these guys could make it.

But then again, so hyped to try the game out~!

Senario

Smash Ace
well first off were really not sure who it is exactly?

because Nintendo could be referring to their "professional players" AKA "testers". lol

I don't think you can use the GC controller on the Wii U? am I right?

Best bet is Wii U pro controller AKA Xbox 360 Controller lol
Aka, gamecube controller with an extra shoulder button and an SNES button layout. Microsoft is hardly the one deserving of credit on the controller besides trigger buttons.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
You know, Nintendo could select a whole different amount of players and probably none of these whatsoever. It's just a thought, but it's possible none of these guys could make it.

But then again, so hyped to try the game out~!
yes, let's hope so.

Tselel (5805)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chris_Tselel
well first off were really not sure who it is exactly?

because Nintendo could be referring to their "professional players" AKA "testers". lol

I don't think you can use the GC controller on the Wii U? am I right?

Best bet is Wii U pro controller AKA Xbox 360 Controller lol
I'm actually using the Nyko Pro Commander right now. They probably wouldn't be using that, though, since it's a Nintendo event.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
yes, let's hope so.
I also have to state that since the players need to be using the Pro Controller, Wii U Pad or Wii Remote (plus or minus nunchuk) for the Wii U, probably none of the Smashers on the list could get in since they mainly/only use Gamecube controllers and said controllers have a different layout than the others.

Last edited:

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
When did they specify that it was the Wii U version? I was under the impression that it would be the 3DS version. I must've missed it or something. :T

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I also have to state that since the players need to be using the Pro Controller, Wii U Pad or Wii Remote (plus or minus nunchuk) for the Wii U, probably none of the Smashers on the list could get in since they mainly/only use Gamecube controllers and said controllers have a different layout than the others.
yes, good point!

Senario

Smash Ace
i don't give **** about those "awesome" players... i'd rather see that there's new content in this demo available for the invited players to play with so we get to see more new stuff. I'd rather see that instead of fox and marth-matches all the time. If the invitings would go to people who play with glitches and so called "advanced techniques" then so be it, but I'd gave others a chance rather than these guys who know the games too good... they don't need to be convinced still.

Please let the invitations go to smashfans who play at regular base. It would be best for everyone i think.
Lol they aren't glitches. Wavedashing is maintaining momentum, physics. L cancelling is an intended mechanic called soft landing in 64. Grabs are obviously intended and chain grabs are not automatic, based on reads. Only one I can see as a "glitch" Is moonwalking.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord

If you're implying that wavedashing, L-canceling, and the like are glitches, you're wrong. They are not glitches.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Yet not entirely a good point, as I could contradict myself by seeing the players use the required controllers, or a possible port for GC controllers.

Then again, these are just hypothesis and theories, and I could be proven wrong on all of them.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Lol they aren't glitches. Wavedashing is maintaining momentum, physics. L cancelling is an intended mechanic called soft landing in 64. Grabs are obviously intended and chain grabs are not automatic, based on reads. Only one I can see as a "glitch" Is moonwalking.
I think it was called "smooth landing."
I wouldn't call moonwalking a glitch either.

Last edited:

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
Not bad of a list if you ask me hopefully this game plays as good. If it does i might get back into the game i used to play soo much before i started playing any other fighter.

Sam Stone

Smash Rookie
I'm not trying to watch 16 people in an invitational that are not top professionals.

Senario

Smash Ace
I think it was called "smooth landing."
I wouldn't call moonwalking a glitch either.
I have no problem with moonwalking to be sure. It is really cool, I am just iffy on it being "not a glitch" but it isnt a big deal.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Hm, I'd rather go to Best Buy and play than watch 16 people I don't really know or (no offense) care about. Then again, I'd likely just sit at home and watch all of E3 and hopefully Bungie releases the Destiny Beta for me to play. I don't want to fight crowds to play Smash Bros and frankly, I kinda want to experience for the first time on my own consoles personally.

But good luck to those who receive the invites. Be grateful.

Though, I do wish the invites were open to everyone and not just "pros". Guess Nintendo wants a great show. And I think with this game, everyone is going to be on just about even playing field with the new mechanics and different controller.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
If you're implying that wavedashing, L-canceling, and the like are glitches, you're wrong. They are not glitches.
You two seriously think it was intended to be this way? It's really something you need to master because it normally doesn't appear when playing... Even the hardest level of cpu's don't use it and still you say that these wavedashing, L-canceling etc are no glitches? It's not shown in any instructional video, so it is something users discovered by accident and worked it out to be some sort of usable technique... it might be something standard nowadays to play with, but it's still a glitch that is used again and again. you just can't deny that.

anyways, it's obvious you two play with these techniques... I'd rather avoid using them...
And i really hope Sakurai's new smash games will get rid of them.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Gods, I remember pioneering an awful lot in the beginning of Brawl's lifespan (though I suppose I might be a bit of a footnote now), like the importance of SDI, combo potential of sourspots, and pushing a lot of characters to their limit. So much research...I plan to stick it to all of you come release date, but I wish I had that opportunity on center stage here, too.

Either way, this is a really great thing. Whoever is there, please represent the community in a positive way. It's a huge opportunity that absolutely shouldn't be squandered.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You two seriously think it was intended to be this way? It's really something you need to master because it normally doesn't appear when playing... Even the hardest level of cpu's don't use it and still you say that these wavedashing, L-canceling etc are no glitches? It's not shown in any instructional video, so it is something users discovered by accident and worked it out to be some sort of usable technique... it might be something standard nowadays to play with, but it's still a glitch that is used again and again. you just can't deny that.
L-Canceling (technically Z-Canceling at the time) was on the Smash 64 website listed as "Smooth Landing." At the very least, that was deliberate.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Nintendo could very well be seeding a pool of potential players who fit competitive criteria right now, which would give 2 months in advance for planning and for the players to adapt to the new game and any new controller styles.

I'd be shocked (and probably stop watching) if at least one player AlphaZealot's the suggested list doesn't get in. Nintendo wouldn't do an event like this if they haven't been watching the fans and the community all this time. This stuff is fanservice of the purest degree.

Also, if the Smash Bros. Invitational and Smash-Fest @ BestBuy (MA players represent!) are on the same day, I'll likely find a way to record the former somehow. Hopefully there's some painless effort of archiving it on Twitch or something.

D

Deleted member

I'm getting one of those invites because my Dad works for Nintendo and he said he would ban anyone from Xbox Live if they tried to take my invitation or try to hack into my Playstation Network account.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Handy Man

Smash Ace
To all of those who are wondering about the controller that will be used, who said that they won't announce a ton of Super Smash Bros. News at E3, including a brand new wired controller that will be used for the Invitational and Smash-Fest?

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Nintendo could very well be seeding a pool of potential players who fit competitive criteria right now, which would give 2 months in advance for planning and for the players to adapt to the new game and any new controller styles.

I'd be shocked (and probably stop watching) if at least one player AlphaZealot's the suggested list doesn't get in. Nintendo wouldn't do an event like this if they haven't been watching the fans and the community all this time. This stuff is fanservice of the purest degree.

Also, if the Smash Bros. Invitational and Smash-Fest @ BestBuy (MA players represent!) are on the same day, I'll likely find a way to record the former somehow. Hopefully there's some painless effort of archiving it on Twitch or something.
i think it might be better if you don't invest to much thought into this.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Needs to be expanded beyond NA to include ZeRo. I would also personally like to see a different commentary team, one to encompass more communities Smash has shown. I would personally like to see D1 and Keitaro on that. D1 and Prog are equals to me, but D1's repertoire for non-Melee far exceeds Prog.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
This is an excellent marketing strategy by Nintendo and a great chance to try out the new smash game. It's going to sell like hotcakes at this rate with all the hype going to be built up from demos in the summer and the E3 event.

I personally will be living at Best Buy starting in June.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
let's just not hope the game will be overhyped and dehyped before launch... we still need to wait till winter this year for the wii u version...

Jupo

Smash Cadet
When are they gonna announce the players? it'd be so hype to see M2k, Mango or PP in an official Nintendo tournament

Senario

Smash Ace

anyways, it's obvious you two play with these techniques... I'd rather avoid using them...
And i really hope Sakurai's new smash games will get rid of them.
So because you don't care for them and don't play with people who do use them...Everybody should play like you do and competitive elements need to be removed. Stop imposing the way you want to play on us, we honestly don't care or have a problem with the way you play.

Top Bottom