• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Players, Rules, More for E3 Invitational

POXZASY

Smash Rookie
I literally just made a smashboards account to post here. Just wanted to say that this could potentially be one of the greatest turning points in Nintendo's history, if they play their cards right. There is so much potential in competitive play that could carry Nintendo into the modern world of gaming. Here's to officially sponsored Smash tournaments in the future!

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
So... the revealed characters who are NOT playable at the Invitational are Ike (unsurprisingly), Charizard, Lucario, Yoshi (sorry aMSa), Dedede, Sheik, Toon Link (seriously? He was announced AGES ago), Diddy Kong, Luigi and Peach. Tell me if I missed anyone.

Interesting mix of playable and unplayable characters here. Some I understand, but others are big "wut"s in my eyes. We do have all 6 newcomers though, hoping that someone picks one of them.

EDIT: Read the part that says they can't pick their character. Man that just raises more questions. Well, I guess we'll see all the newcomers then. But I feel like some players will be spending more time figuring out a character that they're unfamiliar with than playing the game lol.

Last edited:

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I'm just disappointed there's no Canadians on that list :(

But in other news, IS THAT A USB PORT THE ADAPTER PLUGS INTO? WILL THIS WORK ON PC?
hope you know there already is an adapter for pc.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo is going to have all of my money for a while. I'm with you 2ndcoming. The goosebumps wont go away. Thank you so much Nintendo for supporting us in the game we love.

Bazkip

Smash Master
hope you know there already is an adapter for pc.
Of course, but there's currently no four controller adapter, and they're all a bit less than perfect. This one will hopefully have less issues.

King~

Smash Champion
I've linked it already, but...
He's well known for not liking Brawl, and being rather vocal about it. Yet, he still plays it, so I think it's just *****ing.
this isnt true, he was just on mikes stream two days ago saying he enjoys brawl. he enjoys all smash and is gonna be dedicating a ton of time to smash 4. idk where you guys are getting your info from about m2k and his prefrences. he deserved to go imo

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I've linked it already, but...
He's well known for not liking Brawl, and being rather vocal about it. Yet, he still plays it, so I think it's just *****ing.
Or maybe it's a scapegoat to not go. Either way, probably better for him not to go anyways since he's not in peak form.

this isnt true, he was just on mikes stream two days ago saying he enjoys brawl. he enjoys all smash and is gonna be dedicating a ton of time to smash 4. idk where you guys are getting your info from about m2k and his prefrences. he deserved to go imo
Yeah, that's what I thought. But doesn't matter now. He's not in it but the world isn't going to end, especially with good announcements here and there for the Invitational.

Last edited:

oathkeeper005

Smash Cadet
NNID
Oath_X
I hope they pick some Newcomers instead of their Melee mains.
There is a pool of 16 characters, and the players will pick a number out of a hat. Once a character has been picked by one player, its no longer available. Im not a huge fan of them rule, but it guarantees we will see at least on match of all 16. I hope to god they change it so finals lets them have access to the entire roster though.

Last edited:

Birthday

Smash Rookie
Very excited for this invitational! The rules are a bit odd, but I understand that Nintendo wants to present the casual and competitive aspects of the game. As for the people invited, I am happy to see the three best commentators in the Smash community get invited. The player choices weren't too bad either. I understand that people are upset over Nintendo leaving out Mango and M2K, but the company values professionalism. No disrespect to either of them, but they've done a fair share of immature things. The Mango episode from the Smash Brothers doesn't help either.

The biggest news from all of this is the GC adapters though. They are top tier.

Last edited:

Xganz32

Smash Rookie
My mind is blown 10 fold. That Gamecube controller adapter is beautiful and now I’m crying from joy and excitement! E3 hurry up!

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
You couldn't ask for better commentators than Prog, Scar, and D1. The player choice I think is a great balance of people who represent the community in a positive and skilled light. The approach to the tournament is appealing to both casual and competitive players. Everything about this is handled with such tact and respect. The Gamecube controller port is brilliant, and that controller looks beautiful. It's just too much for me right now. This god damn game.

:093:
you said it, now much more to add man, the hype is so real

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
Nintendo is certainly hyping their presentation this E3 up a lot. It's like they know this game is pretty much the biggest thing ever to us.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Nice to see all of this. They've got good casters. Some very notable pros. They're appealing to both casual and pro fans with items on for so much of it and items off for the later more competitive stages of the tournament. Gamecube controller adapter. I'm happy with this. I can't wait to hunker down and watch some smash bros tournament going on. .

GraveJoker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GraveJoker
I caved, I will play with the Gamecube controller again. I love that controller but I let it go towards the end of me playing Brawl for the classic controller.

caldw19940

Smash Cadet
All looking pretty good, I really really hope that smash gamecube controller isn't just for show and that they intend to re sell them again!

Also not sure if anyone thought of this but what if they're bringing out this new controller adaptor for more gamecube remakes.
Luigi's Mansion HD anyone? :)

Last edited:

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
am I the only one who is 100% on board with the rules? 16character draft makes sense. FFA items on, then top 2 advance makes sense. 1v1 battlefield finals makes sense. Might be better if Mang0 and M2K is on there as well but line up still looks good without them.

anyway, whether we like the format or not, we should support it fully to acknowledge Nintendo back for their efforts. I mean I am not really expecting anything from Nintendo for Smash4, so having this is a real big deal. Yeah to that.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I might sound really ignorant, but how does M2k have bad image, just out of curiosity?
I think he meant to say that m2k plays in a way that would scare people away rather than finding the courage to pick up and play the game... He uses the so called advenced techniques like wavedashing n stuff... I don't think that is what Nintendo wants to show... Hopefully we're not getting to see it happen anyways...

caldw19940

Smash Cadet
I think he meant to say that m2k plays in a way that would scare people away rather than finding the courage to pick up and play the game... He uses the so called advenced techniques like wavedashing n stuff... I don't think that is what Nintendo wants to show... Hopefully we're not getting to see it happen anyways...
Pretty sure he also left a bit of a bad impression on his trip to Japan.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
The format chosen makes sense. By making it a character draft we dont have 4 marths in a game and so that more characters can get played. going from free for all and items on high to no items 1v1 shows off the casual and tourny styles of play so it appeals to all of the fanbase.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
Oh god the controller adaptor... I hope it works for Mario Kart 8 as well, but that doesn't seem likely. The controller adaptor was absolutely one of the best things that Nintendo could do for the Smash scene, second only to have awesome competitive gameplay that brings hype like Apex 2014. More than any newcomer or veteran that they could put on the roster. It's even one of the things that a lot of the pros wished for Smash 4.

Thank you, Nintendo. Seriously, you have drawn the attention for fans this time and all eyes are on them.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
what I am hyped about is: how do pros play real smash against each other without the mastery of the inner details of the new game?

NewGuy79

Smash Journeyman
THIS IS JUST TO MUCH MAN....Im in tears ;_;

man I love the group of players that they picked, and even tho the rules may not be ideal the fact that their doing so much for competitors and for fun players is just so heart warming :D

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I might sound really ignorant, but how does M2k have bad image, just out of curiosity?
You might want to watch Episode 7 "The Robot" of the Smash documentary to get a better view of this, but M2K has very poor social skills and possibly autism. He's overly blunt, carries himself awkwardly and does things that are sometimes socially unacceptable. He's improved a lot lately but he's still probably not the image Nintendo is trying to cultivate- he looks like a nerd.

Plus, he's currently sponsored by Empire Arcadia, which has a very, very bad reputation in the fighting game as a scam.

Both of these things probably hurt his chances, as they're negative images. Nintendo definitely accounted for image in these choices, as we see a lot of female gamers, community builders, and a media celebrity.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
10 out of the 30 annoucned characters will not be playable at the smash invitational: toon link, peach, luigi, charizard, shiek, yoshi, ike, dedede, diddy kong, and lucario.
i wonder why these didnt make the cut, and if we wont be able to play as them in at smash fest at best buy either.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
No, every single player listed uses advanced techniques like wavedashing. Why would you "hopefully" not want to see advanced techniques? It's how every fighting game develops.

am I the only one who is 100% on board with the rules? 16character draft makes sense. FFA items on, then top 2 advance makes sense. 1v1 battlefield finals makes sense. Might be better if Mang0 and M2K is on there as well but line up still looks good without them.

anyway, whether we like the format or not, we should support it fully to acknowledge Nintendo back for their efforts. I mean I am not really expecting anything from Nintendo for Smash4, so having this is a real big deal. Yeah to that.
Um...yeah. Why does it make sense? Why does a character draft make sense (if two players want to play Marth, why can't they?), and why does FFA with items on and top 2 advance make sense? (it encourages two players to team up so they both win, and individual players to camp for wins, lol)

Top Bottom