• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Players, Rules, More for E3 Invitational

Hong

The Strongest
I like that they went for both skill and diversity. Many people would have expected someone like M2K to show up here, myself included, though there were some nice surprises so I can't complain.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The GameCube controller adapter doesn't really change the fact that GameCube controllers can only be found used now. Though it's hard to say if that might change.

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
The guy with the Candian flag though...

...Was that part of your joke? :V
No, this was at a Monday Night RAW where almost everyone had "YES!" signs to support Daniel Bryan. (I think some of the fans were Canadian, that explains the flag.)

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
NO MEW2KING? WHAT? You put ****ing Toph (no offense, I just think he's an ***hole) but not Mew2King or Mango? Well, at least you brought aMSa. The Gamecube Adapter sent chills through my body, not gonna lie. Does this mean we're also going to see Gamecube controllers in stores again? I hope so!
m2k and mango not in for bad image probably. sucks for m2k though, if anyone it seems like he would care the most

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The GameCube controller adapter doesn't really change the fact that GameCube controllers can only be found used now. Though it's hard to say if that might change.
Where are these smash logo controllers coming from?

I'm pretty sure some new production will begin, if not bundling them with the adapters themselves.

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
did you see that controller? methinks they will release new controllers lookin like that

MLGF

Smash Lord
...so... damn close.
but items and free for all... bleh.

Fig Newton

Smash Cadet
NNID
Figglypuff
While I personally am a bit sadden that I wasn't selected for this tournament (am I certain everyone who did put an entry and didn't get selected was disappointed), I know for sure this tournament is going to be exciting nonetheless. With that said, I do hope that Nintendo does look deep in their hearts and start hosting an official Smash tournament the same way they noticed the competitive Pokemon community and now they have a VGC. I truly believe that 2015 might be the year where we might have our own VGC as this tournament is more so to see the gameplay and what Smash 4 has to offer.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't show us that GameCube controller with the Smash logo if they weren't selling it, or at least bundling it with the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if this came free with the game, like this game's equivalent to Kid Icarus: Uprising's stand.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't show us that GameCube controller with the Smash logo if they weren't selling it, or at least bundling it with the game.

I wouldn't be surprised if this came free with the game, like this game's equivalent to Kid Icarus: Uprising's stand.
That's actually a good possibility. I might wait till the game comes out to go get a Wii U...just in case.
#IREALLY****INGWANTTHATCONTROLLER!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I wonder if the GCN controllers could also mean GameCube Virtual Console...

Without a doubt, this could be an interesting (and maybe likely) possibility.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

In the end, I'll probably utilize the Wii U Pro Controller a lot more. After all, when I played Brawl, I utilized the Wii Classic Controller way more than the GameCube Controller.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I'd of been fine with items if they were 1v1. Obviously appealing to both casuals and competitives is important to them, but do most casuals even like free for alls?

Doubles might've been the better route.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Personally, I'll try out the Wii U controllers, but since I have 3 GC controllers (one is third party and is a bit fatter but is still very nice), and the cables are really long, I'll probably use GC for this game.

It's nothing to do with wireless for me, since I can't attend tournaments due to living in Ireland and there being hardly any serious Smash enthusiasts here, it's just that I really do love the GameCube controller. Pro Controller is great too and even if other games support the GC controller, I'll still go Pro in those games (GC controller would be terrible for whenever I revisit Tekken Tag Tournament 2, for example). But GC is how I play Smash, I even have two Mayflash adapters for PC.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
I'd of been fine with items if they were 1v1. Obviously appealing to both casuals and competitives is important to them, but do most casuals even like free for alls?

Doubles might've been the better route.
FFA actually looks like it'll work well in this format. Similar to EDH pods in MtG. 4 pods of 4 players, top 2 move on into the next pods. Then the top 2 of the last pod will play Grand Finals. This allows them to showcase both the multiplayer and 1x1 aspects of gameplay without doing more than one event. Doubles are rather clunky to the untrained eye, and most of the casual players watching it would probably become quickly disinterested.

Just because we want something, doesn't mean we get to nitpick. This is a momentous step for Nintendo. Let's likewise take it in stride and see where we can go from there.

Last edited:

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally not bothered by the player list. While I know who the biggest players are and how they aren't all here, I only casually watch tournaments the odd time (I've always been a "I'd rather play than watch" kinda guy), so I admit I may not have much of a place to say anything on the matter, but I feel like we should at least be grateful that they looked at the competitive scene at all. There's also the fact that the players who were eventually picked were likely not the only ones asked, and other players asked may not have been able to participate for personal reasons. That's just me trying to rationalise things, but I think we should consider that as a possibility before we upset ourselves over who was picked. I think it's also really important that we make sure to support the players who were picked. We not only need to show Nintendo that we respect each them and their efforts, as well as respect the E3 audience, but we need to show that we respect each other, and we should support the representatives they have chosen, even if we may not normally like those people. Even if just for this one event, we need to all be on the same side, and put overzealous rivalries to the way side. How this tournament goes and how we treat it could potentially pave the way for more support from Nintendo in the future, which would be amazing.

I will say - I am so glad to hear D1 is commentating, he is a amazing at what he does! I also quite like Prog, so I'm REALLY happy about those choices! :D

ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN.
Quoting this because I feel the same way, I totally agree with you here; we need to support this event and show Nintendo we aren't just a bunch of kids playing the game way too seriously like how they used to think. They need to see the community as a whole who are passionate about what we do, and that the smash competitive hype is indeed real!

OT: Those adapters... Those adapters... Oh God, that's PERFECTION. And here I thought we would need wireless adapters and all that hassle; Nintendo surprised us all with this, I didn't see it coming. I'm so happy because the NGC controllers are my favorites of any console and Smash isn't the same without them. <3

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I literally starting laughing out loud with joy when the GC controller was revealed. I am SO HAPPY NINTENDO DID THIS!

Top Bottom