• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Players, Rules, More for E3 Invitational

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
Well, I was kinda hoping to see more "familiar" faces, like Mew2King, Mang0, Armada, Dr.PP, Salem, Nairo, Ally, etc. I don't even know who are like half of those.

And for the rules, they want to show both casual and competitive sides of Smash. Very nicely done.

The best thing was the selection of announcers and the GameCube Adapter!
He's in

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
That bit at the end showing the gc controller was sexy af.

No Mango or M2K? Items on? Okay.

I'm hype. Now show my your moves.

Anuran

Smash Apprentice
I don't think including M2K would be all that smart considering how he isn't afraid to voice his opinion. Sure, it's cool to see him play and all, but he probably wouldn't hesitate to point out all of the games flaws then and there right in front of Nintendo's reps (have you heard him talk about Brawl?). I personally don't want one of the biggest faces in the competitive smash community to be heard trashing the new game and potentially hinder our chances of gaining more support from Nintendo. Mango and Armada would be fine though; I think they know how to behave.
that would have been hilarious but honestly I don't think it will be the case. Even if these people are super duper disappointed with the game they wont blow this enormous opportunity. Can you imagine big brother Nintendo picking you out of all smashers in the world for one of 16 spots. This is a huge opportunity for these players/commentators to build a relationship with Nintendo in this pivotal time in smash history.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Seriously, this is just, amazing. Nintendo showcasing competitive and casual play. The GC adapter is just a big thank you to all of their competitive fans. Thank you Nintendo.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
What's the likelihood that M2K/Mang0 had been invited, but declined? 4-man FFA/Items On is a rather odd format choice for big names like these.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm going to play and beat every one of you too. Good luck, play your best, and make sure you lock it in your mind because you're gonna need it. My fangs are sharp, my bite is fierce, and I'm ready to play this game and become the best.

In the meantime, who won the Instagram challenge?

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Warning Received
I still say this smells of an elaborate trap to find things to nerf in the game just like they did with the Brawl invitational. Nintendo always goes back on their word somehow. I wont trust them until I see it unchanged on release. :glare:

Also, WHY WOULD THEY EVEN CONSIDER THE DORITO POPE ****, WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!? Keighly is a ****ing idiot.

Last edited:

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
Can someone clarify? The new gamecube controllers are going to plug into the wii remotes, but we're getting adapters for the old controllers (no wired new ones?)

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Can someone clarify? The new gamecube controllers are going to plug into the wii remotes, but we're getting adapters for the old controllers (no wired new ones?)
The "new ones" are literally just a 3rd party company peripheral for the wii controllers, made by PDP. This adapter is a nintendo official product that allows original gamecube controllers (i'm assuming any other kinds too) to be connected to the wii u. I'm also asuming both would work for games that were already compatible with gamecube controllers, such as Brawl, but only the official adaptor will work for the new smash bros.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
This is cool and all, but I'm more worried than happy about the Gamecube controller. It's probably just for the picture, but the total length of the wire connecting the controller to the WiiU looks very short. I might not be able to use it because my WiiU is pretty far away form where I sit while playing.
The image is just a edit for the photo. Surely the controller wire will be longer. I'll be glad if this controller have the same 3-meter wire from the white controller.

I also expect the USB connectors to plug the adapter on the Wii U to be longer enough for me to use the USB ports on the rear of the console.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
The tourney is an invitational and not played for money or anything, so I'm fine with the rules being a "for fun" kind of thing, with the players learning as they go. Its gonna be fun watching them struggle and adapt on the fly!

Most likely, M2K and Mango didn't get invited because their overall behavior isn't something Nintendo sees as family-friendly. Let's not lie, Mango has done some pretty adult things on camera, and M2K lets himself be recorded drunk (usually pre-tourney friendlies, but you see what I mean), among other things. IMO, this is a perfect example of why you have to watch your behavior while on a stream.

SUPER HAPPY About Prog, D1 and Scar! I only expected them to invite players, not to invite commentators! Damn, I bet they're ecstatic as hell now, I hope they can all make it. I wonder how they will commentate on-the-fly too, since they do so for Melee having had background knowledge on the game...

The wired GCN controller port was the one thing the Smash community needed to be happy. Watch as they release Melee for the WiiU's virtual console, they're gonna rake in so much cash... And WE CAN NOW MOVE ONTO NON-CRT TVS! WiiU utilizing an HDMI cable and all! This is one of the greatest news delivered by Nintendo to the Smash community, by far.

However, it's a little sad that the Brawl player representation is close to none. I'm happy for CT ZeRo, but what about DEHF, Ally, or Nairo? Not that I'm complaining, just a tad disappointed. But I can't say I'm not surprised, what with Melee being the far more popular game these days, with the most exposure and backing by several communities and large, recognized tournament organizers while Brawl has been struggling to gain the same recognition...

LAST THING! Surprising that they know all about our players, yet they haven't put down their foot when it comes to Project M. Hopefully theseare signs of Nintendo going GGG...

MasterLuigi

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2835-8943
Looks like Nintendo learned to get actual commentators after that disaster with the commentator in that Mario vs Mega Man match at E3 2013.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Hype hype hype hype hype hype!

Basically sums up everyone here. The hype is UNREAL!
Like if you like this post, like if you want Link or Rosalina in the Grand Finals, like if you love the ruleset, like if you just want to like at all!

Like if you want to see Sakurai at the event! LIKE IF YOU LOVE THE GAMECUBE CONTROLLER IS BACK!

WE ARE UNSTABLE FOR THE HYPE!

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Nintendo does love us!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I was surprised M2K (and a few other notables) were not on the list. But at least they did cater to the scene after all.

Also, I noticed Luigi, Peach, Charizard, King Dedede, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Yoshi, Lucario, and Ike are not shown as playable. Maybe we just got our early look at the BestBuy Demo roster and the initial starter roster. Fine choices on who to make unlockable, except for Peach and Yoshi that is.

Last edited:

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
I might sound really ignorant, but how does M2k have bad image, just out of curiosity?
i was thinkin too competitive it mentioned maximum fun or something.
there are also all the rumors and such. he might not appeal to casuals in nintendo's eyes <:(

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
this isnt true, he was just on mikes stream two days ago saying he enjoys brawl. he enjoys all smash and is gonna be dedicating a ton of time to smash 4. idk where you guys are getting your info from about m2k and his prefrences. he deserved to go imo
he's said many times how brawl is a bad game, and complains about ice climbers alot (brawl ic) but bad games can be fun too :)

Last edited:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
Please Nintendo bundle that controller and adapter I will buy it day one so plz! Nice turn out except for the rules and host are kinda iffy, but hell it's the first tourny they be doing I will let it slide. I'll just consider it a FOR FUN tourney until finals (which isn't bad imo).

Top Bottom