• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Players, Rules, More for E3 Invitational

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Can we stop all the M2K comments? Yes, it's possible his autism fueled lack of tact stopped Nintendo choosing him but, even if he did make the cut, MewtwoKing would not be competing.
As he has stated, he has significant hand problems now which put a major damper on his ability to play for prolonged periods. It is a real testimony to this series that he is willing to play Smash 4 at all.

.Lucina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
I'm pretty sure this will work with existing GameCube Controllers.
I'm sure of that, but i used a wireless controller since it came with my Gamecube. I think the controller shown comes with the adapter, so I hope the shortened wire is just for showing it off neatly.

SwooceMcGroose

Smash Rookie
Four players? Four stocks? Only five minutes?

Sounds like that isn't enough time for each match. I hope there aren't lots of timeouts.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029

TheGhostlyPidove

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2509-2709-5815
Um...yeah. Why does it make sense? Why does a character draft make sense (if two players want to play Marth, why can't they?)
This isn't necessarily what nintendo was saying with this. More than one person can play a certain character, but each player can only use one character.

Shadowmessia

Smash Rookie
Props to the game cube adapter. I like how they marketed that smartly. The rule set bothered me at first, But then I realized that this isn't APEX or EVO its a promotional tournament to advertise and reach out to the smash community. Kudos, I look forward to this.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Um...yeah. Why does it make sense? Why does a character draft make sense (if two players want to play Marth, why can't they?), and why does FFA with items on and top 2 advance make sense?
Because this isn't just a tournament for the tournament people. This is literally their version of an E3 demonstration, in which they show off the game to everybody in the world who watches. The whole point is to show the game itself in motion, which includes as much of the (currently available) content as possible. Remember that the majority of the people watching this don't care that it's in a tournament format, they just want to see videos of the gameplay.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Someone in that video was wearing a Jigglypuff shirt. Jigglypuff confirmed. :jigglypuffmelee:

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Details for the tournament are subject to change. Tournaments will be administered by the official rules for each competition.
I'm aware of that. I read the rules. I'm hoping they change t so that any character can be layer regardless of other players.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know anything about the fan voted bracket? Will will be voting on nintendo's site during the live event? will only audience members vote? How does that work?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
If I was there, I would go for Kirby hands-down. You can't go wrong with Kirby on a brand-new Smash game; on a new game where you're put on-the-spot with zero knowledge of its mechanics beforehand, the less gimmicky and technical your choice, the better.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about some of the player picks—actually, amend that. I'm not sure how on earth mew2king isn't on the list. Aggregating all 3 official smash games without even factoring in PM he is the most accomplished 'smasher' overall. Not including him had to be a conscious decision and it's one I have a hard time understanding.

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
I'm kinda surprised actually; Nintendo didn't totally screw this one up. They chose some good players, but why no Mew2king, Mango or Armada? Sorry, but I feel like they're forcing diversity a bit. I've never even heard of Lilo or Peachyhime, and I only recognize Milktea from the Smash Brothers documentary. Items on and a short timer isn't ideal, but whatever. The gamecube port's pretty awesome though.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Because this isn't just a tournament for the tournament people. This is literally their version of an E3 demonstration, in which they show off the game to everybody in the world who watches. The whole point is to show the game itself in motion, which includes as much of the (currently available) content as possible. Remember that the majority of the people watching this don't care that it's in a tournament format, they just want to see videos of the gameplay.
Why don't people get this yet?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm not sure about some of the player picks—actually, amend that. I'm not sure how on earth mew2king isn't on the list. Aggregating all 3 official smash games without even factoring in PM he is the most accomplished 'smasher' overall. Not including him had to be a conscious decision and it's one I have a hard time understanding.
As said in previous replies, M2K probably wasn't invited because of his unprofessional behavior in the past when in the spotlight. Same can be said about Mango. Or maybe he was but he turned it down? We'll never know.

Dunno about Armada, but he DID openly state that he was quitting competitive Smash for good to the entire community (even if he's still active). That probably was a factor right there.

Last edited:

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
As said in previous replies, M2K probably wasn't invited because of his unprofessional behavior in the past when in the spotlight. Same can be said about Mango. Or maybe he was but he turned it down? We'll never know.

Dunno about Armada, but he DID openly state that he was quitting competitive Smash for good to the entire community (even if he's still active). That probably was a factor right there.
I wasn't even going to ask about mango and armada since they're essentially exclusive to melee which already has dedicated reps. The unprofessional behavior is possible but still, man. The guy is the closest thing to a grand master of smash that exists.

himemiya

Smash Lord
At this point, the Gamecube controller should just be Nintendo's official controller, I am serious. That thing over a decade old and Nintendo is still letting work
Keep in mind that this amazina thing happened because we didn't support the wiiu. For next console they should make a gamecube 2 with classic controller support and plugins.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I've always preferred the classic controller from the gamecube, no matter what game... Actually I don't like the wiimote anymore... it was a cool thingy in the beginning, but it became a standard while to me it's still a gimmick. It had nice littel features like aiming better n stuff, but it was never as comfortable as the cube controller.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Keep in mind that this amazina thing happened because we didn't support the wiiu. For next console they should make a gamecube 2 with classic controller support and plugins.
Or just a new gamecube styled controller, we have to move on at some point. I meant the design

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
i kinda liked the design from the gamecube. Though it wasn't really practical, it was a fun thing to see.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
At this point, the Gamecube controller should just be Nintendo's official controller, I am serious. That thing over a decade old and Nintendo is still letting work
I mean, at this point it almost technically is. It was their last "standard" controller in the Gamecube era, and it was still supported in the Wii era by GCN controller ports, control options in many games, and still being produced in Japan. Obviously they tried to wane off of it by removing the controller ports in the second Wii model and the Wii U (since, to be fair, they were already mixing generations and it was getting old), but now that they're bringing it back for yet another generation in the Wii U era, it's practically stating that it's here to stay as a permanent option, right along the "Pro Controller" or whatever remodels they do for that. Since it's a USB adapter that plugs into the system, they could definitely keep the adapter functionality in their next system as well.

If they do in fact start re-producing GCN controllers for regular retail sale, then you can be assured that they're officially embracing it for the long term.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
It's great to see Nintendo finally starting to support the community, one that has given them the success with this franchise. The Invitational participants doesn't mean M2K and Mango weren't invited, but it is actually better off without them. I will personally be giving the Wii U Pro a chance, because I was looking forward to a new control scheme, but of course, if it doesn't work well I will go back to the GC controller.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I wasn't even going to ask about mango and armada since they're essentially exclusive to melee which already has dedicated reps. The unprofessional behavior is possible but still, man. The guy is the closest thing to a grand master of smash that exists.
There's really no buts for Nintendo. It shows that they are paying attention to the competitive community and they know that M2K has done some questionable things in the past. Keep in mind that M2K is a hyper competitive player and plays for monetary support. This tournament is nothing more than a showcase to show the world how the new Wii U Smash Bros. can be fun for casuals and competitive for the dedicated players. That monetary support thing might be exactly the reason why he isn't going.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
So during the tournament when items are available, are the fighters going to use the items or throw them off the side as a sort of "**** items at tournaments!" The answer seems obvious, but why not ask the question?

Top Bottom