• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Announces Players, Rules, More for E3 Invitational

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I'm pretty sure they don't get to pick, and they are forced a character, but I'm not positive.
It's a special draft pick. They all pick a number from 1 to 16. Person who gets one gets to make the first character choice. It continues all the way down to 16 where the 16th person has no choice but to use the last character available. It's to prevent mirror matches as well as showing the capabilities of all the characters. Although I have a feeling Mario will be picked last mostly due to the stupid water pump on his back.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
To all the people who are against the items on + 4 players playing FFA in the earlier stages of the tourney: You have no idea what's going on and can't see the bigger picture. Just read all the comments carefully because a few posters have already pointed this out.

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
Is it the '00s? You guys this is our chance, to be on the spotlight, to be on the biggest stage in gaming, where smashers and non smashers alike will cheer on the winner of the very fruit of Nintendo's compassion. But we have to remember, we may never get a chance like this ever again. We are very lucky. And the entire world is watching.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Oh cool Milktea will be there with another girl. Hopefully we can expect another article/blog about sexism in the smash community for white knights to flock to. They better not let Amsa play Yoshi or else this tournament would be in the bag.
Do people seriously still say "white knight" with a straight face? You might as well be saying "hi everyone I love the super smash brothers but I'm not allowed to go to best buy cause I'm grounded"

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
It's a special draft pick. They all pick a number from 1 to 16. Person who gets one gets to make the first character choice. It continues all the way down to 16 where the 16th person has no choice but to use the last character available. It's to prevent mirror matches as well as showing the capabilities of all the characters. Although I have a feeling Mario will be picked last mostly due to the stupid water pump on his back.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Midgetto

Smash Rookie
Never made a post on Smashboards before, but this is worth it, I think. This just convinced me to buy a WiiU and Smash 4. I was on the fence for a while, but this saves it. Love to see Nintendo investing in their fans!

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
AGAgaggaaaggaaAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happiness manifest

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Because then people will get to see every character, all of the items, free for all matches, and 1v1 matches.

This is not to see who's best, it's to show off the game.
Yeah exactly. I can't believe some people actually don't understand that. It's pretty sad in my opinion. Why else would nintendo be making such a big deal about and appeal to causal and competitive players? Their advertising this way so this will appeal to everyone and we can see how the game will play in different ways.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Do people seriously still say "white knight" with a straight face? You might as well be saying "hi everyone I love the super smash brothers but I'm not allowed to go to best buy cause I'm grounded"
And your reply makes it obvious that you're sexist. Women should not be on a pedestal in the smash community.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
And your reply makes it obvious that you're sexist. Women should not be on a pedestal in the smash community.
nobody who uses "white knighting" in a serious context completely unsolicited has any right calling anyone else sexist. Drop the excuses and grow up, take some accountability for once. Women shouldn't be on a pedestal but you also shouldn't be stupid. We need to work harder as a community to stop protecting idiots

Last edited:

KillJay

Smash Cadet
NNID
K0maeda
3DS FC
0361-6214-0350
It's hardly "putting them on a pedestal" to treat women with some decency

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582

nobody who uses "white knighting" in a serious context completely unsolicited has any right calling anyone else sexist. Drop the excuses and grow up, take some accountability for once. Women shouldn't be on a pedestal but you also shouldn't be stupid. We need to work harder as a community to stop protecting idiots
OK he didn't say "white knight", I did. What excuse and accountability are you talking about? "Take some accountability for once"....wtf does that even mean to someone you've never met or know patterns of? Everyone just calm down. It was just a joke referring to one of Milktea's articles. No need to yell.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
I never said that in the first place. And telling someone else to grow up on the internet is pretty pointless. And accountability has nothing to do with this, you're just trying to use fancy words to feel smart, but they make no sense in the context. And besides, I'm not stupid. Maybe we should strop protecting you. Got any other argument I can destroy?

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
It's hardly "putting them on a pedestal" to treat women with some decency
Well yeah, obviously. Don't put words in my mouth, the only thing I have said is that they should not be put on a pedestal. Where do you get the idea that I'm suggesting we treat them with indecency?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
OK he didn't say "white knight", I did. What excuse and accountability are you talking about? "Take some accountability for once"....wtf does that even mean to someone you've never met or know patterns of? Everyone just calm down. It was just a joke referring to one of Milktea's articles. No need to yell.
If you use the term "white knight" I will call you stupid regardless of your gender. That's equality

If you don't know what I mean by accountability you're probably a lost cause
I never said that in the first place. And telling someone else to grow up on the internet is pretty pointless. And accountability has nothing to do with this, you're just trying to use fancy words to feel smart, but they make no sense in the context. And besides, I'm not stupid. Maybe we should strop protecting you. Got any other argument I can destroy?
sorry but you didn't destroy anything you just sound like a dumb kid who's mad other people know how to use words longer than 10 letters. If you feel the need to defend someone randomly throwing "white knight" around you should probably take a good look at how stupid you're being, and that's something I can say with full confidence no matter what your gender is

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
You guys seriously having this right now? Stop it with the bull%$@& right now. It's been discussed before on a different topic that is appropriate and there's no need to bring these arguments onto another discussion that is not related to the one you're speaking of. Just drop it.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
There is going to have 20 playable characters.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
There is going to have 20 playable characters.
Ah, well that's a bit disappointing then. That means four characters are not going to be seen playable and I guarantee that Mario is not gonna be seen unfortunately... Nobody loves Mario with the FLUDD... Including me. xD Would have been nice to get four more players to fill them in.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
Ah, well that's a bit disappointing then. That means four characters are not going to be seen playable and I guarantee that Mario is not gonna be seen unfortunately... Nobody loves Mario with the FLUDD... Including me. xD Would have been nice to get four more players to fill them in.
We can still expect them to be playable in the best buy's event's roster so not all hope is lost

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
wow... what a joke, these chicks being chosen over legitimate seasoned far more deserving players like chudat, chillindude, hax$, or armada? the milktea person i understand because atleast she's been around for years and put in the work. the other girls? prime example of a ***** pass, they got in so ninten wouldn't appear sexist and "social justice bloggers" wouldnt whine about equality in gaming again.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
wow... what a joke, these chicks being chosen over legitimate seasoned far more deserving players like chudat, chillindude, hax$, or armada? the milktea person i understand because atleast she's been around for years and put in the work. the other girls? prime example of a ***** pass, they got in so ninten wouldn't appear sexist and "social justice bloggers" wouldnt whine about equality in gaming again.
Man, if you don't know who Crismas is, you're the one who hasn't been around for years

BladeOFLucas

Smash Journeyman
Well just remember this, Nintendo said they chose the candidates for "maximum fun", not maximum skill. When Nintendo says fun, they can do whatever they want without expecting to be limited in their choices. And if they feel like putting in those players, who really has a right to gripe? Now if they said they were going to pick the very best of the best, then you'd probably expect to see M2K and Armada, etc. but they never made that type of commitment.

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
Man, if you don't know who Crismas is, you're the one who hasn't been around for years
yeah that crismas you sure hear alot about him.
NOT.
besides i'm talking about some of the female players and how it seems they got in over far more favorable candidates. although i'm clearly a bit biased in who i wanted to see make it in.
and yes i have only been watching smash for about 3-4 years so i don't know about all the dinosaurs who got smash to where it is today.
Well just remember this, Nintendo said they chose the candidates for "maximum fun", not maximum skill. When Nintendo says fun, they can do whatever they want without expecting to be limited in their choices. And if they feel like putting in those players, who really has a right to gripe? Now if they said they were going to pick the very best of the best, then you'd probably expect to see M2K and Armada, etc. but they never made that type of commitment.
hmm good point there. i never saw the maximum fun part. i'll get a migraine if i try to think like nintendo does.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
NOT.
besides i'm talking about some of the female players and how it seems they got in over far more favorable candidates. although i'm clearly a bit biased in who i wanted to see make it in.
and yes i have only been watching smash for about 3-4 years so i don't know about all the dinosaurs who got smash to where it is today.
WTF? Crismas is a girl. SHE, by the way, has also worked on banners and signatures promoting tournaments like Zenith. I've only been following smash for 1 year and I know this.

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
NOT.
hmm good point there. i never saw the maximum fun part. i'll get a migraine if i try to think like nintendo does.
Crismas is a woman who co-organized APEX 2014, so I may not be too exited to see her there, but I show my respects because I haven't done as much for the smash community. Maybe you should do so as well

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
For the record, having a diverse cast of people in this is to show that everyone will enjoy this game. It's a smart move on their advertisement team's part. And yes, this is advertisement.

Last edited:

ViewtifulHoe242

Smash Journeyman
WTF? Crismas is a girl. SHE, by the way, has also worked on banners and signatures promoting tournaments like Zenith. I've only been following smash for 1 year and I know this.
Crismas is a woman who co-organized APEX 2014, so I may not be too exited to see her there, but I show my respects because I haven't done as much for the smash community. Maybe you should do so as well
seriously? well blow me down. i can't find any videos of this crismas in action + name seems masculine enough plus i only had the invitational video and picture of them to go off of.
this is beside the point, but if you can sit there and say that crismas doesn't look like a damn man (without knowing before hand) from that highly unflattering picture then you're LYING. anyway so this person is a TO? well hey that's all well and good but what about gimr? or keitaro? or any other T.O. that's put in work for smash over the years. seems to me like some of these people were put in because the needed girls to not seem biased and sexist in their choosing of the roster.
i'm looking at this from a "who deserved the honor more" standpoint.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
seriously? well blow me down. i can't find any videos of this crismas in action + name seems masculine enough plus i only had the invitational video and picture of them to go off of.
this is beside the point, but if you can sit there and say that crismas doesn't look like a damn man (without knowing before hand) from that highly unflattering picture then you're LYING.
anyway so this person is a TO? well hey that's all well and good but what about gimr? or keitaro? or any other T.O. that's put in work for smash over the years. seems to me like some of these people were put in because the needed girls to not seem biased and sexist in their choosing of the roster.
Wow. Although there might be more deserving TO's and players out there, that comment you just made about "her looking like a man" makes it hard to take you seriously.

Last edited:

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
this is beside the point, but if you can sit there and say that crismas doesn't look like a damn man (without knowing before hand) from that highly unflattering picture then you're LYING. anyway so this person is a TO? well hey that's all well and good but what about gimr? or keitaro? or any other T.O. that's put in work for smash over the years. seems to me like some of these people were put in because the needed girls to not seem biased and sexist in their choosing of the roster.
GimR hasn't really been improving on his Smash Bros. tech skill for awhile. He certainly is a professional player, but he isn't anywhere near top level. As for Keitaro, I might give you that one but it again also date back to his tech skill even though I'd dare say that it's better than GimR's. GimR is more of a teacher on Melee tech than an actual great player, but I do respect the man for what he does which is bringing great Smash Bros. content for people to watch.

Your eyes must not be working right because Crismas does look like a woman. Albeit that she doesn't look like a model as say PeachyHime, but she still looks like a woman nonetheless.

Are you sure you're not looking at it from a competitive standpoint? Because looking at this from a "who deserved the honor more" standpoint sounds more like a competitive standpoint, which I don't blame you for doing so. It's just that they made their selection of people for maximum fun while making sure that they are "professional" in the sense that they can act professional, which is one of the big reasons why M2K was likely not invited. It even said that they handpicked them for Maximum Fun in big silver text on the middle of the video.

Last edited:

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
You're clearly angry go blow a few smokes and come back tomorrow

Top Bottom