• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 64.

D

Deleted member

I just recently downloaded Super Smash Bros. and Mario Kart 64 for my Wii and the originals are still slightly better. I’m very grateful to Nintendo for making both of these classics available at such a reasonable price though.

Too me it seems like the VC version of Mario Kart 64 controls a little better with the Classic Controller while the original Super Smash Bros. is MUCH better with the GameCube pad.
I can see why Mario Kart 64 might be better, but why Super Smash Bros.? Elaborate.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I can see why Mario Kart 64 might be better, but why Super Smash Bros.? Elaborate.
Only problems for me are the lack of rumble support for the GameCube controller and some slight blurriness of the menu screens. I also don’t like the fact that you can’t move through the menu screens with the digital pad when using a GC controller.

While playing Super Smash Bros. with two of my friends the game feels nearly identical to the N64 original. We may have noticed a slight speed variation but nothing too drastic. The presentation is overall excellent and I have no problem recommending this Virtual Console port to anyone who doesn’t have access to the N64 original. Even if you already have Melee and Brawl you owe it to yourself to finish off your collection and allow yourself the ability to play all three Smash Bros. games on a single console.

Special note: To make a fair comparison of graphical fidelity I connected both my Wii and N64 to the same 32” CRT TV with S-Video cables. This may account for the blurriness of the menu screens on the VC version as those may have been redone to accommodate 480p if the Wii is connected with component cables. Maybe somebody who’s got this setup can comment?

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Here's a list of all 55 of my N64 games that I own at this moment:

1080: TenEighty Snowboarding
Beetle Adventure Racing
Castlevania
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
ClayFighter: The Sculptor's Cut
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Doom 64
Extreme-G
Extreme-G 2
F-1 World Grand Prix
F-Zero X
GoldenEye 007
Jet Force Gemini
Killer Instinct Gold
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Last Legion UX
Mace: The Dark Age
Madden Football 64
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64

Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Namco Museum 64
NBA Hangtime
NFL Blitz
Paper Mario
Perfect Dark
Pilotwings 64
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium
Pokemon Stadium 2
Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers
Shindou Wave Race 64
Snowboard Kids
Snowboard Kids 2
Star Fox 64
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The New Tetris
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Turok: Rage Wars
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story

I even highlighted some of my favorites.

D

Deleted member

@Grizzmeister: That's an excellent list there. Oh and thanks for the explination.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
@Grizzmeister: That's an excellent list there. Oh and thanks for the explination.
Thank you.

I’m glad I could help with some info on Super Smash Bros. VC. If you think of anything else you’d like to know don’t hesitate to ask. I plan to continue comparing and contrasting it with the N64 version although for the most part they’re nearly identical. By the way, I saved both SSB and MK2 to a 2 Gig SD card and at some point I’ll probably DL a few other games like Sin and Punishment.

Another dilemma I’m having is whether to get Super Street Fighter IV or Monster Hunter Tri at the end of the month. I wasn’t that impressed with the MH demo but I want that sexy Classic Controller Pro that comes with it. :chuckle:

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Conker's Bad Fur Day was the most well put-together and entertaining multiplayer experience ever released for this console. The single player was amazing, too. If only Nintendo could publish something that awesome again.

M.K

Level 55
At first, I thought my 26 games was alot....but wow, 55, that's crazy! I should've indulged a little bit more!

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
At first, I thought my 26 games was alot....but wow, 55, that's crazy! I should've indulged a little bit more!
Don’t feel bad, there are people with MUCH larger N64 collections than mine. I’ve tried to acquire just the really good titles and although I’m still missing some semi-classics I believe I have all the best games for the system represented. At least I have all the games that I like to play.

Later I’ll list my Dreamcast games since someone mentioned it in a previous post.

D

Deleted member

Don’t feel bad, there are people with MUCH larger N64 collections than mine. I’ve tried to acquire just the really good titles and although I’m still missing some semi-classics I believe I have all the best games for the system represented. At least I have all the games that I like to play.

Later I’ll list my Dreamcast games since someone mentioned it in a previous post.
Yeah, for example, Mop_It_Up on Nintendo 64 Forever has all 296 or so Nintendo 64 games in North America.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Yeah, for example, Mop_It_Up on Nintendo 64 Forever has all 296 or so Nintendo 64 games in North America.
Mop_It_Up is a living God that should be revered by anyone who’s bothered posting in this thread. He fits the classic description of “collector” while I consider myself to merely be a semi-collector who really enjoys Nintendo’s multiplayer releases across a wide variety of consoles.

Shök

Smash Champion
If only Nintendo could publish something like Bomberman 64 again. :p

CaptainOlimar123

Smash Journeyman
Conker's Bad Fur Day was the most well put-together and entertaining multiplayer experience ever released for this console. The single player was amazing, too. If only Nintendo could publish something that awesome again.
I agree. But too bad Nintendo now only publishes games for people trying to lose weight

D

Deleted member

@Grizzmeister: This is why when I start shopping online for N64 games that I search for games in good conditions.

BTW, have anyone here heard of the Japanese Bomberman game for the N64 in 2001? I heard it was rare.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
@Grizzmeister: This is why when I start shopping online for N64 games that I search for games in good conditions.
Recently I purchased Hydro Thunder off of Ebay from a seller named luckiegames. They rated the item’s condition as “Very Good” but when I got it the game had a sticky substance on the label. To my mind the game was Acceptable to Good at best. I contacted the seller and they said that they couldn’t properly track their inventory to reflect the actual condition of all their games. Nonetheless I gave them negative feedback and wrote some harsh but true comments in their guestbook.

Here’s a link to the guide most buyers and sellers use when rating items.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=10194751

Condition of a video game is very important because it has a huge bearing on price. In fact, some games are in such poor condition (like the one I linked in my previous post) that you’re often times better off settling for emulation.

For the record, most Japanese sellers that I deal with are conservative when they rate their product. They’ll often rate something as just Good when it really is almost Like New. Overall they’re just much more respectable people to deal with, IMO.

After my experience I will never buy from luckiegames ever again! :mad:

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
i was watching a listing for a N64 console with smash for 12 dollars but i totally forgot about it and it ended =\

D

Deleted member

What is your favorite Nintendo 64 game?

Mine would be Super Mario 64. That game was absolutely brillant as a chlid. Great musics, great visuals, revolutionary gameplay, and nice sound effects. It was the best game of my childhood and I will forever cherish it on the Virtual Console.

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
Never owned a N64 since my brother would complain about how horrid the graphics are so he never bought it and got a Playstation instead. But I would often go to a friend's house and play games like Mario Party 2, Pokemon Snapshot, LoZ: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Smash bros., Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64 and tons more.

Those were some fun times.
It's a good thing we got the Virtual Console.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Yoshi's Story, Starfox 64, Super Mario 64. Those three games and you're set for the N64, in my opinion...also, fun fact, the N64 is the only Nintendo console that does NOT have a Metroid game made for it. Every other console does (GB/GBC, GBA, DS, NES, SNES, GC, Wii all have a Metroid game for them, look it up if you don't believe me...)

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Argh, too many games to name. Some I like are Super Mario 64. Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, Pokemon Snap, the 3 Mario Parties, Paper Mario, Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie... Those are a few from the top of my head.

xxFrohawkxx

Smash Apprentice
I Loved the Nintendo 64 I had super Mario 64, golden eye (laser only ftw).

But my favorite was the Mario party series just me and my family playing those mini games. And Paper Mario was the first game i had completely finished!

Also I rented Yoshi's Story about 3 times. And had every nintendo system ( Nes, Snes, N64, GC, Wii,GB, GBC, the game boy sp, GB micro, a Nintendo DS)

Super Mario World still goes hard in the paint no matter what anyone says!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I FOUND THEM! WE'VE BEEN SEPARATED TEN YEARS BUT THEY'RE FINALLY BACK WITH ME!

Sorry for poor quality. Oh and I forgot Banjo Tooie.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
What is your favorite Nintendo 64 game?

Mine would be Super Mario 64. That game was absolutely brillant as a chlid. Great musics, great visuals, revolutionary gameplay, and nice sound effects. It was the best game of my childhood and I will forever cherish it on the Virtual Console.

My personal favorite is Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. I love every thing about this game, even if it isn't super polished or revolutionary. It has a unique sense of humor that really resonates with me. I also love the setpieces and atmosphere. There are a lot of really pretty Japanese locales and styles all over. It also has one of the best soundtracks of all time.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
how have people gone this far without talking about Blast Corps?? that game is genius and timeless :(

Yoshi's Story, Starfox 64, Super Mario 64. Those three games and you're set for the N64, in my opinion...also, fun fact, the N64 is the only Nintendo console that does NOT have a Metroid game made for it. Every other console does (GB/GBC, GBA, DS, NES, SNES, GC, Wii all have a Metroid game for them, look it up if you don't believe me...)
virtual boy

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Oh god, the Virtual Boy. Nintendo's biggest disappointment.

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
virtual boy
>.< May I ask why you had to mention the Virtual Boy? On a topic discussing possibly one of the greatest VG consoles of all time? (in some peoples opinions, but whatever)

*fires lazar* We should go back in time and stop that hunk of junk from existing...

Back on topic, I don't have many N64 games. Only SSB 64, Mario 64, Pokemon Snap, and a few stupid 3rd Party games. No OoT. IMO, I'm not much of a true Zelda Fan, but the occasional game is fine with me. *puts up flame shield*

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The Virtual Boy may be a little headache-inducing, but it's not a terrible system. In any case, it's a little unfair to make judgments on a system when you haven't played it, and I'd bet that, given how rare it is, most of you haven't. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but it tends to be one of those things that people hear is terrible and then they go and talk about how terrible it is because it's so widely known as such -- I'm guilty of doing it at times myself.)

Anyway.

Here's my list of N64 games:

1) Banjo-Kazooie
2) Cruis’n USA
3) Donkey Kong 64
4) F-Zero X
5) Goldeneye 007
6) Hey You, Pikachu!
7) Legend of Zelda, The: Majora’s Mask
8) Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time
9) Mario Kart 64
10) Paper Mario
11) Pokémon Snap
12) Pokémon Stadium
13) Pokémon Stadium 2
14) Star Fox 64
15) Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
16) Super Mario 64
17) Super Smash Bros.
It's worth noting that my copies of Majora's Mask and Hey You, Pikachu! are both complete with box and manual (I have the manual for a handful of other games too).

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
Hey You, Pikachu! made me mad... lol, my dad got so mad at me when I played the game because i would seriously, Scream my *** off at Pikachu to talk to that friggen Diglet.

My dad threw my game away :'(

Top Bottom