• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I love how the TMNT characters are the 80's incarnation. I kinda wish they used the 2012 designs instead as that is the series im most familiar with, but i would rather have this over the current "Rise" designs, as i am NOT a fan of Raphale going the Knuckles Boom treatment.
One thing that concerns me a little about the 80s design is alternate costumes. How are you going to make alts for 2 at minimum, 4 at maximum, characters who are basically the same outside of their masks and weapons?

I haven't seen Rise, but I think the Turtles' designs there are great.

Speaking of alts...

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Small gameplay prediction - Patrick uses a sort of air-grabbing move in the trailer. It could be a special move (custom moves have been confirmed BTW) but honestly I think air grabs could be a universal mechanic.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
The "Nickelodeon is chosing the roster" has the same energy as "Nintendo is chosing the roster, btw here's Joker and ****ing Banjo"

I mean, Nigel Thornberry was chosen by Nick? An Ahh Real Monsters Character? the 80's Incarnations of the TMNT instead of the 2012 of Rise versions? (i guess they are more iconic?) seems fishy to me.

As long as we get a Jimmy Nuetron and FoP character, im good regarding the roster.

I wonder if they are gonna add at least one Guest character. Like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon sometimes airs non-original programming, but unlike Cartoon Network (where they sometimes proudly push those non-CN-originals as much as their own CN shows, sometimes even more) Nick tends to put their own Nicktoons at the forefront (TMNT doesn't count here as they basically own the brand now)

Then again, licensing is probably gonna be a nightmare for that, plus one has to account not all Nick international channels air the same stuff, so it's probably for the better to keep it with homegrown Nicktoons (and i for one, welcome that)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
At the cost of roasting myself on a stake, I honestly have mixed feelings on this.

The aesthetics look and feel really dumbed down. For a Nickelodeon game, you would think there would be popping visuals and dynamic movement but things feel - subdued and silenced. I would have much rather had it in a 2.3D environment with more comical visuals rather than the 3D models they went with. The expressions and interaction just isn’t there. The same could be said with Ultimate but, it’s like if you took Ultimate and made it look like Brawlout with expressions and animation from PSASBR. The characters are there but they don’t look like it.

Also like PSASBR, the Gravity feels wonky. Everyone looks fairly floaty. That was one aspect I hated about the game. Likewise, it feels there’s no impact to the moves. That’s one thing that Ultimate and Smash excels at is showing the hits hit hard. I never got the feeling of that in PSASBR and I’m getting that same feeling in this game.

The roster is pretty amazing though. Again, to further risk getting loading onto a catapult full of cow **** and getting launched out, I’m not a fan of the cartoon medium. I grew up not watching cartoons save for a few such as Hanana-Barbara and that’s cause my parents screened them as a kid. They watched Ren & Stimpy at my behest and we’re shocked. They assumed Nick was more or less the same throughout. It wasn’t until I was old enough to bypass that and I became more interested in things like Toonami. Even then, I only watched a few shows. As a grown up, I tend to avoid these mediums as they do nothing for me and I have zero interest in investing my time to watching them. I am not really open to watching acrtoons but if you want to suggest a few to me, I am all ears.

Now, with that being said, even I know characters in this roster. Obviously the Sponge Bob gang, TMNT, Zim, Reptar, and yes, even Helga, Nigel, and …. Hmmm…. That’s about it. I was allowed to see a collect few of the Nick shows so perhaps I drawing into some potential territory. I would like to see perhaps Quail Man, the boy and his fairy godparents (forgot the name), and Jimmy Neutron.

As for Gate keeping, I don’t see Nick Jr getting in as, by nature, that programming would be against violence of any kind. I’m kind of in a Nick Jr phase as my kids are that age so shows like Paw Patrol, Blaze, Blue Clues Reboot, Bubbleguppies, some show whose name I forgot but has a robot, and Santiago is constantly on. Even that, I don’t expect and would prefer not seeing these added. Wouldn’t make much sense (but still be pretty funny to see Blue square up against Sandy or something.)

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
NGL coming here and going all like "lol i don't like most cartoons" is certaintly a take. That would be like if i went to a Jump/Manga and Anime crossover Smash clone and went all "Lol i don't give a **** about anime". I mean i count what anime i like with my two hands, (and those i finished with ONE) but even then i wouldn't go around saying that.

Given that Nigel Thornberry of all characters is playable and Dragon Ball Z Kai aired on Nickelodeon, I'd be pretty surprised if Goku wasn't at least discussed for the meme potential alone.
Honestly Goku is as unlikely here as in Smash, if not even more so. DBZ is a ***** to license. You gotta go to Shueisha, Toei, the different brands that manage DBZ internationally, Funimation probably as well. So the rest can be said for many anime characteres (Tatsunoko VS Capcom was a goddamn miracle, and its international release more so, RIP the Genie thought)

It's very possible that we are only getting Nicktoons characters, which im more than okay with, and i would rather have Not a single anime character in sight (Avatar doesn't count in my eyes, as i use the term "Anime" as the region of origin, rather then show's style) as i think they would take away from the Nickelodeon charm of having all these wacky cartoon characters, and then you have a more serious anime character, that just ruins the magic, unless it's someone really silly, i rather have Rocko over whatever anime they are currently airing.

Plus as i mentioned before, it may come as alienating, like a Marth & Roy in Melee situation. As in, maybe in the US they aired DBZ Kai on Nicktoons, but in LatinAmerica it was aired on Cartoon Network (both the original and its Kai release, as Toonami in Latam wasn't as successful), so it would feel akward to many non-US audiences.

Yes, Fairy Oddparents was aired on Jetix/Disney XD on Latinamerica (Nickelodeon wouldn't air it until a few years later, despite Nick having a LATAM branch) but FoP is a Viacom Property so it gets a pass.

It's like if you had a CN Crossover and you had anime characters, but which ones aired where? Would you add an Anime character that aired only on the US? What about those who aired on international versions of the Channel like Card Captor Sakura? Would you really go for the licensing for those characters in all regions (im assuming the game is mostly gonna be released on the Americas and Europe, even then it will cause complications) and is it really worthy if the show is no longer airing and is not associated with the Channel brand?

and honestly, Anime fighting games are dime a dozen, i would rather give American/Western Cartoons a time in the spotlight for Christ's sake, at least a good game for them would be nice.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Sad that they didn’t even get in Punchtime Explosion
I think it was understandable. Back then, Adventure Time was this new shiny show that didn't quite prove itself as this mainstream juggernaut just yet (same goes for Regular Show) remember that CTE PT released in 2011 and later on Consoles in 2012 just 1 year or so after both shows started airing, so with the limited budget and time, it was better off just to stick to the ol' reliable Cartoon Cartoons of the past plus some more (at the time) relevant but still older shows like Chowder and Flapjack.

If the game was released just a few years later (,2014 or so) it's likely Finn and Mordecai and such would have been there.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
NGL coming here and going all like "lol i don't like most cartoons" is certaintly a take. That would be like if i went to a Jump/Manga and Anime crossover Smash clone and went all "Lol i don't give a **** about anime". I mean i count what anime i like with my two hands, (and those i finished with ONE) but even then i wouldn't go around saying that.

Honestly Goku is as unlikely here as in Smash, if not even more so. DBZ is a ***** to license. You gotta go to Shueisha, Toei, the different brands that manage DBZ internationally, Funimation probably as well. So the rest can be said for many anime characteres (Tatsunoko VS Capcom was a goddamn miracle, and its international release more so, RIP the Genie thought)

It's very possible that we are only getting Nicktoons characters, which im more than okay with, and i would rather have Not a single anime character in sight (Avatar doesn't count in my eyes, as i use the term "Anime" as the region of origin, rather then show's style) as i think they would take away from the Nickelodeon charm of having all these wacky cartoon characters, and then you have a more serious anime character, that just ruins the magic, unless it's someone really silly, i rather have Rocko over whatever anime they are currently airing.

Plus as i mentioned before, it may come as alienating, like a Marth & Roy in Melee situation. As in, maybe in the US they aired DBZ Kai on Nicktoons, but in LatinAmerica it was aired on Cartoon Network (both the original and its Kai release, as Toonami in Latam wasn't as successful), so it would feel akward to many non-US audiences.

Yes, Fairy Oddparents was aired on Jetix/Disney XD on Latinamerica (Nickelodeon wouldn't air it until a few years later, despite Nick having a LATAM branch) but FoP is a Viacom Property so it gets a pass.

It's like if you had a CN Crossover and you had anime characters, but which ones aired where? Would you add an Anime character that aired only on the US? What about those who aired on international versions of the Channel like Card Captor Sakura? Would you really go for the licensing for those characters in all regions (im assuming the game is mostly gonna be released on the Americas and Europe, even then it will cause complications) and is it really worthy if the show is no longer airing and is not associated with the Channel brand?

and honestly, Anime fighting games are dime a dozen, i would rather give American/Western Cartoons a time in the spotlight for Christ's sake, at least a good game for them would be nice.
I am fine with people liking cartoons and have no qualms with it. I am not going to come in and say "oh wow, I know all of these characters and shows!" because then I am just lying. Perhaps I explained my background too much but the entire paragraph was to preface how I don't really know much of the roster nor the references BUT I still liked what I saw and, despite some grievances, the gameplay seems pretty good. I was trying to come from the approach of "I dont know jack **** about cartoons but even I recognize some of these names" to further drive in the roster is pretty good and managed to hit all of the right notes. Even someone like me who is clueless about cartoons knew some of the roster which is really a good thing. I will be watching this game carefully (adds it to the list along with Jurassic Park Evolution 2).

But yeah, I don't like cartoons.:grinch::snakefire:

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
As for why the models look a little wonky, it's pretty clear they're reusing models from the kart racer games (which considering the step up in roster size from the first to the second could mean good things for this roster size).
If im honest even if the models were done from scratch it would still look off, that's just the price you have to pay when bringing highly stylized 2D cartoon characters into the third dimention. I mean it's not Ed Edd N Eddy misadventures levels of weird but you just can't make some of them look as great as you could with hand-drawn designs or even Sprites, unless it was made for 3D in mind like Jimmy Neutron (or the 2012 TMNT)

Ew, a weeb.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
As for why the models look a little wonky, it's pretty clear they're reusing models from the kart racer games (which considering the step up in roster size from the first to the second could mean good things for this roster size).
Doesn’t help that some of them look reused from games older than the Kart Racer but hey I was never interested in this game for it’s graphics

I am honestly surprised Jimmy Neutron wasn't revealed. I thought he would of been way up there. Perhaps later.
It saddens me how many times Jimmy and Timmy have missed out on playable roles in Nicktoons games. It’s led to the only other Nicktoon game where the Unite cast was playable being Attack of the Toybots

seriously, go check if you don’t believe me. Aside from Unite and Attack of the Toybots, in every Nicktoons game, either Timmy or Jimmy or both aren’t playable. I really don’t get it

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Keep anime out of my Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl

Nacho Libre or bust
If we are gonna get Movie characters, Rango is a must.

The only other i want is..................TinTin, which is know is kinda cheating, but the ability to have a good game to play as Herge's iconic reporter would be sweet, if absurdly unlikely.

I am honestly surprised Jimmy Neutron wasn't revealed. I thought he would of been way up there. Perhaps later.
Jimmy and Timmy are the only real glaring omission on the roster so far. It's even wierder as Danny Phantom was revealed, so im sure Timmy or a FoP rep is coming.

Jimmy is possible, but after his show ended and Planet Sheen flopped he has been in limbo, unlike Rugrats, Rocko, Zim and others, Jimmy hasn't gotten a new special or revival of sorts in these last years, so if there's any glaring omission that could happen, Jimbo might be it. Still since they put an ARM (AAAAAAAAA Real Monsters rep) we may not have to worry about that.

If you want to know, here's a list of all the properties by Nickelodoen.

https://nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/Nicktoons
https://nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Nickelodeon_original_series

Hope it helps.
So if we take the former link at face value, we could get a Star Trek Rep AND a Transformers rep if they wanted to shill for the upcoming shows. (which is really unlikely)

Though i don't see us getting a character from a Live Action Sitcom, as most Nick Crossovers never feature them (and seeing all the drama some of those shows bring, it's probably for the best)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I really do hope we get Jimmy Neutron as well as Fanboy & Chum Chum. I feel like these characters would have insanely cool potential in a fighting game.

I think Kappa Mikey and XJ-9 would also be a really amazing out of no where pick.

I also really trust this developer because of how transparent they have been with not just Slap City's development but everything regarding this game so far which is such a step up from Nintendo's handling of Smash Bros. It should be a pretty fun experience regardless.

If you are interested, I did come across this cool template inspired by the Smash Bros one if anyone wants to use it.

Attachments

Paraster

Smash Lord
If you scroll down to the fighter portraits, you can mouse over them to see file names, which seem to use codenames.

SpongeBob: apple
Lincoln: rascal
Zim: alien
Powdered Toast Man: hero
Reptar: mascot
Leonardo: moon
Danny: plasma
Michalangelo: pizza
Lucy: goth
Helga: rival
Nigel: narrator
Patrick: star
Oblina: snake

Honestly kinda useless, but interesting.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
If you scroll down to the fighter portraits, you can mouse over them to see file names, which seem to use codenames.

SpongeBob: apple
Lincoln: rascal
Zim: alien
Powdered Toast Man: hero
Reptar: mascot
Leonardo: moon
Danny: plasma
Michalangelo: pizza
Lucy: goth
Helga: rival
Nigel: narrator
Patrick: star
Oblina: snake

Honestly kinda useless, but interesting.
most of these make sense, but I wonder why Leonardo is moon and Lincoln is rascal

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
If I don't get Cabbage Salesman as a playable character all my interest in this game will vanish. :4pacman:

This game might go down as the first game ever to flop because of Metroid.
I, personally, feel you overestimate Metroid appeal. I'm sure all the little Timmys and Tammys of the world will pass up a Nicktoon game because of Metroid. Kids outnumber Metroid fans, my friend. Not to mention meme lords or nostalgic fools (Such as myself) who will buy this because it looks like a good time and has characters I've not seen in ages.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If I don't get Cabbage Salesman as a playable character all my interest in this game will vanish. :4pacman:

I, personally, feel you overestimate Metroid appeal. I'm sure all the little Timmys and Tammys of the world will pass up a Nicktoon game because of Metroid. Kids outnumber Metroid fans, my friend. Not to mention meme lords or nostalgic fools (Such as myself) who will buy this because it looks like a good time and has characters I've not seen in ages.
Said Metroid game just so happens to be the first brand new 2D Metroid game in nearly two decades. Plus, Sinnoh remakes will be out in a month and I expect people to view this game simply as a low budget Smash clone just like they did with PSASBR.

Top Bottom