• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
This is the first time that I've seen people actually excited for a shovelware game.
Look, most of us don't expect this to be the next EVO sensation and don't care either.

Most of us want and expect this to be exactly what it is - the right kind of stupid fun. So bad it's good. Gaming junkfood. There's nothing wrong with that.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Look, most of us don't expect this to be the next EVO sensation and don't care either.

Most of us want and expect this to be exactly what it is - the right kind of stupid fun. So bad it's good. Gaming junkfood. There's nothing wrong with that.
I thought this way before all the gameplay stuff but now? Let's get a true rival to Smash

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
And both of them are highly anticipated and massively hyped games.
As I said before. Every Metroid is massively hyped. Every Metroid disappoints in sales.

And the reason for that is that said hype is artificially created by a select few hardcore youtubers. Basically, the same niche content creators that unironically campaign for Geno in Smash and have been asking for Mother 3 for all these years.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
As I said before. Every Metroid is massively hyped. Every Metroid disappoints in sales.

And the reason for that is that said hype is artificially created by a select few hardcore youtubers. Basically, the same niche content creators that unironically campaign for Geno in Smash and have been asking for Mother 3 for all these years.
even so, this is gonna be the biggest Metroid game no doubt. It's just that that's not a high bar to clear

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

People have waiting for Metroid Dread for 19 years, or nearly 2 entire decades! Of course it will be hype.

Except people should be aware of what is shovelware. And it's clear that this game is indeed shovelware. It's made on a miniscule budget, reusing assets from other games, and clearly made to bait people's nostalgia.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Except people should be aware of what is shovelware. And it's clear that this game is indeed shovelware. It's made on a miniscule budget, reusing assets from other games, and clearly made to bait people's nostalgia.
Low budgets and reused assets do not a bad game make. Just look at Slap City by the same devs, aesthetically it's one of the tackiest platfighters out there, but it still has a huge following and an active competitive scene (even if it's not as big as it once was)

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
And that's also fair. But like, the same could have easily been said for Prime 3 on the Wii. The Wii was also a huge platform where games could have and should have succeeded.
Tbf the Wii was a very casual system. If you look at the sales numbers of anything that's not Wii Sports/Fit, Mario or Zelda they drop off very quickly.

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
People have waiting for Metroid Dread for 19 years, or nearly 2 entire decades! Of course it will be hype.

There are certain genres where a quantity over quality approach is not only fine, but allows them to include more of people's favorite characters. Intelligent reuse of assets isn't a bad thing, and harms no one.

One of my favorite games, Fire Emblem Warriors, recycles a lot of movesets. It draws some flak for it. But if doing so meant the difference between including 20-ish characters and including the 32 it has, then the tradeoff was well worth it.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
There are certain genres where a quantity over quality approach is not only fine, but allows them to include more of people's favorite characters. Intelligent reuse of assets isn't a bad thing, and harms no one.

One of my favorite games, Fire Emblem Warriors, recycles a lot of movesets. It draws some flak for it. But if doing so meant the difference between including 20-ish characters and including the 32 it has, then the tradeoff was well worth it.
The budget and graphics of a game really doesn't matter as long as the devs are smart enough to make good design decisions - as a certain other network's avian hero always says: work smarter, not harder!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
View attachment 322695so this mockup has been going around. Some people think the mystery characters on the right side might be Krumm from Aaahh!!! Real Monsters (feel pretty good about that one) and live action Dora (or at least a more humanoid version of her. Looks less likely imo but). Thoughts?
Hasn't Krumm's silhouette been confirmed to just be Nigel Thoenberry doing a handstand? I'm not sure how Krumm would fight given his hands are occupied by his eyes. Lost City of Gold Dora seems like a good pick for representing Nick Jr. without contradicting the brand image - Swiper could've worked too given he's the antagonist and therefore not a role model, but I can settle for this.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm loving how excited everyone is for this game. I think what separates this from being a shovelware title and turns it into a budget title with heart is that the devs both seem to care about the characters they've chosen (and seemingly attempted to negotiate - apparently they approached Nick for Alex Mack but were turned down) and the movesets. The Slap City devs know how to make a darn good platform fighter, so if we're getting a cute and fun party fighting game for $30 with good online, why be cynical about it? It's fun!

I really, really, really hope we get Garfield as a playable fighter. Other than that, my big wants are Jenny Wakeman, Kenan & Kel, and Tito.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I'm loving how excited everyone is for this game. I think what separates this from being a shovelware title and turns it into a budget title with heart is that the devs both seem to care about the characters they've chosen (and seemingly attempted to negotiate - apparently they approached Nick for Alex Mack but were turned down) and the movesets. The Slap City devs know how to make a darn good platform fighter, so if we're getting a cute and fun party fighting game for $30 with good online, why be cynical about it? It's fun!

I really, really, really hope we get Garfield as a playable fighter. Other than that, my big wants are Jenny Wakeman, Kenan & Kel, and Tito.
Hoping for Otis the cow from Barnyard!

Also, Catdog is gonna be useful for edge guarding and long range attacks.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Very excited for this! When the listing leaked two or three days ago I thought it'd be like, a cheap corporate thing, but then bam, the trailer. The Slap City devs. The rollback. Nigel Thornberry. And now I'm hyped lol.

Hoping for Squidward, Arnold, and Rudy Tabootie.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I feel pretty good about Jenny's chances, she's been in quite a few Nicktoons games, including Super Brawl Universe. She may have missed out on the kart racers but I think they're aware of the outcry for her by now
I sure hope so, she's the only character I'm really holding out for. She'd work perfectly in a game like this.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I agree with this. Pokemon could release an actual turd (which is coincidentally what even the original D/P were) and it would still outsell everything else.

You're still overestimating Metroid though. Most people do, and that's because Metroid fans pirate games rather than purchase them.
this one has a lot going for it, if it isn't the best selling Metroid game it would be somewhat disappointing (prime is at 2.8 million)

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Man, I was a bit unsure when a listing was leaked, but then a trailer showed up and now I'm quite hyped on a roster alone thus far (Nigel, Reptar, Powdered Toast Man, Ren & Stimpy if box-art indicates so, etc.)

For some characters who I'll like to see in this game (a long list coming up with three first being special mentions):
  • Timmy Turner (w/ Cosmo & Wanda; Cleft the Boy Wonder as one of his costumes)
    • A new live-action/animation sequel series is coming up. (they did three movies in this style before, right?)
    • The Fairly OddParents has been used as a big draw for Paramount+'s Nick offerings.
    • Those reasonings are already brought up, but worth to mention.
  • Jimmy Neutron
  • Jenny Wakeman/XJ-9 (literally my most wanted right now, the whole series is underrated)
    • Also showed up in Super Brawl Universe.
    • Would finish the Holy 2000's Nicktoons Trinity, alongside Aang and Danny.
    • A stage of Tremorton, with the show's beautiful art deco aesthetic nailed in 3D would be goddamn awesome.
    • Lots of moveset potential and playstyle choices, thanks to all the crazy amounts of weapons and powers/abilities she has.
  • Squidward Tentacles (you wouldn't miss on it)
  • Sheldon J. Plankton (I'm a big fan of villain representation no matter the crossover)
  • Arnold Shortman
    • Remember this scene? He would have moveset potential besides using items like a baseball bat.
  • Tommy Pickles
  • Angelica Pickles
    • She and Tommy showed up in Super Brawl Universe, and Rugrats was my childhood & actually favorite 90's Nicktoon besides The Ren & Stimpy Show, which my friend at work also enjoys (we even watched banned episodes like Sven Hoek).
  • Donatello
  • Raphael
    • You obviously need all four Turtles in a same roster. Quite hyped they're using 1987 versions.
  • Shredder/Oroku Saki
  • Sokka
  • Katara
  • Zuko
  • Toph Beifong
  • Crimson Chin
    • A match-up between him and Powdered Toast Man would be legitimately epic.
  • El Tigre/Manny Rivera
  • Fanboy & Chum Chum
    • Would work as a duo character like Ice Climbers.
  • Otis
  • Rango
    • Gex's counterpart when it comes to wittiness, shall I say more?

Last edited:

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
If you want to know, here's a list of all the properties by Nickelodoen.

https://nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/Nicktoons
https://nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Nickelodeon_original_series

Hope it helps.
Well that's unfortunate. So I should probably keep my expectations very low for Po and Tigress, and a Madagascar character like Gloria. Now I really want to see if they add Gloria in the game and the devs make her the Bowser of the game, as well as mixing in a bit of Peach like giving Gloria her side special and back throw (assuming they're back throws in NASB).

Top Bottom