• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Oh my GOD the Beavers look awesome. They really are CatDog done right.
I agree that the Beavers look great, but they are not, under any circumstances, "CatDog done right." They're a completely different kind of duo, and comparing them is a disservice to both the Beavers and CatDog. The only way for CatDog to actually be done right would be bringing them back and updating their moveset, but we'll have to wait a few years to see that happen.
Am I seeing things or did he pull a piano out for an attack?
Yeah.
Screenshot_20231011-131323_YouTube.jpg

Looks like it's one of his throw attacks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I agree that the Beavers look great, but they are not, under any circumstances, "CatDog done right." They're a completely different kind of duo, and comparing them is a disservice to both the Beavers and CatDog. The only way for CatDog to actually be done right would be bringing them back and updating their moveset, but we'll have to wait a few years to see that happen.

Yeah.
View attachment 379112
Looks like it's one of his throw attacks.
awesome

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
He means CatDog the function, not the character. The concept of a seemingly-similar stance fighter with hidden differences, which, even as someone who loves CatDog in NASB 1, was not done right with them, having no different stats and only 3 different moves.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I haven't caught that much Hey Arnold in awhile but

If I had a nickel for every time a Hey Arnold character in Nickelodeon All Star Brawl 2 used a piano for an attack I'd have two nickels, which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice, right?
I think the word is based

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Just watched Gerald's showcase. I like how he sells the idea of being the cool kid on the block, with the different sports stuff and the skateboard and whatnot. Speaking of, that skateboard move looks really fun, especially with the different directional inputs.

I will say that his model could've been better, though. Instead of making a good 3D design that can look good from any angle like with Spongebob, or going extremely stylized with faces that only look good from certain angles like Jenny or Ren & Stimpy, it feels like they took a weird halfway approach and it just looks off.

SmashPacker66

Smash Rookie
I think they did pretty good with Gerald ngl. He’s got a lot of potential in my eyes. If these types of videos are anything to go by, I bet there’s a lot of neat callbacks to Hey Arnold that are hidden in there. (I haven’t seen the show in years lol)

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think the weird side-face is most noticeable during dev camera shots; it generally looks fine during regular gameplay.

His moveset looks fun, I'm definitely looking forward to trying out his skateboard special in particular!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I mean... I look at these guys and I see two characters who switch between each other and have mostly identical movesets with different properties. Minus the cool assist mechanic, that's basically what they were going for with CatDog the first time.
Anyway Gerald looks awesome. I gotta say I didn't expect him to be a zoner, but he's got some really cool options for locking your opponent down and keeping them in The Zone. I really am spoiled for choices this time, ain't I?
He looked fine in the leaked footage, a "needs to get close to kill" zoner, which I think all NASB2 zoners seem to be in some form.
Most well-designed zoners in the genre are this to at least some degree. Being able to kill from a distance in a platform fighter is generally pretty silly, especially if the game has bad counterplay to projectiles in general like Smash.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
copy issues.png

Yeah, this all tracks so far.

Some kind of weird legal mumbo jumbo in place for FOP; it's likely why, despite being a highly popular, big name Nick show, FOP hasn't actually appeared in any Nick crossover games since Toybots in 2007.
(Most recent is the Nick Tennis game)

Even Globs of Doom, the last game in the Unite series, didn't have any FOP content despite Timmy being a prominent character in the first three games.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
For some reason i thought someone would have brought up Tara Strong doing bad takes on twitter as a reason Timmy ain't happening but glad to know it's just classic legal nightmares instead.

Man Timmy makes Sora in smash sounding reasonable by comparison.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
For some reason i thought someone would have brought up Tara Strong doing bad takes on twitter as a reason Timmy ain't happening but glad to know it's just classic legal nightmares instead.
She did come back for Ember, so that's not an issue.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Man Timmy makes Sora in smash sounding reasonable by comparison.
Maybe let's not open that can of worms in the funny SpongeboymeBob fisticuffs game thread

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Gerald looks much more fun that what I expected I have to say, though I know he's really not my type of character.

Also this isn't a criticism aimed specifically at Gerald but I just realised watching his showcase, am I the only one who find some combos in this game awfully long? I'm used to fighting games that doesn't focused too much on combo (like Smash bros, Tekken, Virtua fighter or Samurai Shodown), so seeing character doing absolutely nothing and getting comboed looks kind of annoying actually.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Gerald looks much more fun that what I expected I have to say, though I know he's really not my type of character.

Also this isn't a criticism aimed specifically at Gerald but I just realised watching his showcase, am I the only one who find some combos in this game awfully long? I'm used to fighting games that doesn't focused too much on combo (like Smash bros, Tekken, Virtua fighter or Samurai Shodown), so seeing character doing absolutely nothing and getting comboed looks kind of annoying actually.
One thing to consider is that they probably aren't DI'ing much.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Well the other thing to consider is that the slime meter isn't infinite, they are expending it quite a bit. If it's an actual match and not staged, the other player might just be saving up for their super.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Guess that explains that one screenshot
Oh man this is actually genius, the gross-out close up is such a huge part of the show and it's the show that heavily popularise this type of humor (it's sometime associated with SpongeBob but Ren & Stimpy did it way more regularly and before SpongeBob).

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
What did Tara Strong do?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
The tester is doubling down on the whole Timmy's hat thing.
View attachment 379137

So someone ask on the discord how in the world the situation where some random dude have full rights on Timmy's hat even happened, and according to that same tester it's because they gave this dude the rights when he left the company.

F8QWQr9XIAE56QB.jpg

Honestly I'm not sure if that's accurate because I'm not sure how a tester would have that kind of information unless he specifically asked someone on the team, but if that's true man this is a dumb thing to do. I can't believe Nick would actually give the rights to a part of some of their most important character as a gift without thinking that they might need the full rights to said character in the future. This is genuinely pretty sad honestly if that's accurate.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Guess that explains that one screenshot
Genuinely not sure if this is a meme or not, but I like to think after Ren & Stimpy's super, this grotesque closeup of Stimpy just covers the screen and slowly fades away over the course of 20 seconds, completely obscuring gameplay.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Another reason why Timmy might not happen aside from all the legal issues is that it's difficult to come up with a moveset for him that doesn't violate the show's lore. Particularly the whole "you're not allowed to use magic to win a competition" thing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Another reason why Timmy might not happen aside from all the legal issues is that it's difficult to come up with a moveset for him that doesn't violate the show's lore. Particularly the whole "you're not allowed to use magic to win a competition" thing.
This might surprise you but the SpongeBob characters are all playable despite many of the stages not being underwater.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
So someone ask on the discord how in the world the situation where some random dude have full rights on Timmy's hat even happened, and according to that same tester it's because they gave this dude the rights when he left the company.

View attachment 379162

Honestly I'm not sure if that's accurate because I'm not sure how a tester would have that kind of information unless he specifically asked someone on the team, but if that's true man this is a dumb thing to do. I can't believe Nick would actually give the rights to a part of some of their most important character as a gift without thinking that they might need the full rights to said character in the future. This is genuinely pretty sad honestly if that's accurate.
I feel like this part they're just trolling about

Top Bottom