• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Didn't think that the Ren & Stimpy trailer of all things would give us so much insight. But yeah, if the show had another stage they probably would've shown it by now.

Mikey/Leo: NASB1 Footage, Possible story mode leak image (Keep an eye on Nigel's Showcase)
Sandy: NASB1 Footage, Possible story mode leak image
Lincoln: NASB1 Footage, Stage Theory, No Loud House newcomers (Keep an eye on Nigel's and Lucy's Showcases)
Hugh: PapaGenos, Possible story mode leak image
Helga: NASB1 Footage, Website leak, Possible story mode leak image (Keep an eye on Gerald and Gertie's Showcases)
Powdered Toast Man: 1 Ren and Stimpy Stage, Toast Shine + Superhero pose in the duo's moveset, Possible story mode leak image
CatDog: No Evidence
Oblina: No Evidence
Toph: NASB1 Footage, Possible story mode leak image (Keep an eye on Korra and Azula's Showcases)
Shredder: No Evidence

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
You mean the dodgy, "avoid a yes or no answer" that he gave?
To be fair, it’s been a pattern for people working on NASB to not answer a question that has an unfavorable answer

For example them not answering either way if voice acting or crossplay would be in the game at launch for NASB 1

It’s not confirmation yes, but it’s safe to assume if they’re not answering a question, it’s because the answer doesn’t help the reception of their game

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If everything we've seen is to be believed. Ren and Stimpy loses a character while Hey Arnold gets two more? That's bizarre.
Honestly I don't think it's that bizarre when you take in all of the context. With Ren and Stimpy, the show has a much smaller cast that focuses mostly on the titular duo, and in this series they both are part of a duo character. With the latter franchise, it's more of an ensemble cast, with two of the three being main characters.

So with that, it's more so that the former lost a side character and the latter gained a side character, at least from my perspective. Ren and Stimpy just feels lopsided because its two most major characters constitute only one character from a fighter standpoint.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Ren & Stimpy feels like a show that should have around as many characters as something like Avatar from a popularity-perspective, but it just doesn't really have the cast to support that. Same goes for Garfield to a lesser extent, where it probably has enough potential characters to get a good 3 or 4 reps, but would be impossible to put on the same level as SB or TMNT despite being even bigger than the both of them

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly I don't think it's that bizarre when you take in all of the context. With Ren and Stimpy, the show has a much smaller cast that focuses mostly on the titular duo, and in this series they both are part of a duo character. With the latter franchise, it's more of an ensemble cast, with two of the three being main characters.

So with that, it's more so that the former lost a side character and the latter gained a side character, at least from my perspective. Ren and Stimpy just feels lopsided because its two most major characters constitute only one character from a fighter standpoint.
It's less from an amount of characters standpoint and more that R&S is important enough to Nick history and animation history at large that it feels odd to deprive it of it's only other valid character choice.

But then this is the game that borderline refuses to represent Rugrats properly, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Ren & Stimpy feels like a show that should have around as many characters as something like Avatar from a popularity-perspective, but it just doesn't really have the cast to support that. Same goes for Garfield to a lesser extent, where it probably has enough potential characters to get a good 3 or 4 reps, but would be impossible to put on the same level as SB or TMNT despite being even bigger than the both of them
A better example of that would be Rugrats. Deserves way more reps but they just don't have the fan support.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
A better example of that would be Rugrats. Deserves way more reps but they just don't have the fan support.
tfw I wanna argue that the game's attacks aren't attack-y enough for beating up babies to be a legit concern but now they are

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
On a random side topic, I made a concept for a different layout for Glove World, if it were to return.
This version of the stage is designed to have a basic layout for the main stage, but have a bunch of shenanigans offstage.
(I was too lazy to look up what the ship ride in Glove World actually looks like, but this is just a basic mockup anyway)
glove world concept.png

• On the main platform, the platform attached to the ship's mast moves in a basic swinging motion along with the ship, like PM Green Hill Zone.
  • There are two other platforms attached to the ship. They are inside the main stage most of the time and are thus inaccessible, but they peek out when the ship is at the ends of its motion, so they have a Randall-esque role.
  • The Fiery Fist O' Pain cars are now incredibly fast, cannot be stood upon, and appear randomly with no warning. The idea is that the coaster track is a no-go zone where you could try to make it back or hang out for a bit, but it's too risky to be a great strategy.
  • The direction you get hit depends on the direction of the cars. From left to right:
    • Car is where it's depicted on the diagram: you get hit diagonally up back toward the stage. It has fixed knockback so it can't kill you, but far more hitstun than normal, making for easy combos or confirms if your opponent is ready for it.
    • Car is heading down from there: You get spiked and you die instantly.
    • Car is heading back up on other side: Fixed upward knockback with high hitstun, could save your life but only if you don't get edgeguarded.
    • Car is leaving the stage: You're dead

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you've not read many garfields have you?

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Wanted to hear your guys opinions about something.

Someone on reddit found a YouTube channel that """leaked""" some of the character themes:

https://www.youtube.com/@FungusJackson-hw3em/videos

Now personally, I believe this is fake. Some of these themes don't seem to fit the character a lot. Like with Helga or April.

What do you guys think of this? Real? Fake?

Also if this is fake, I'd really like to know where they took the Plankton theme. That one sounds pretty cool personally.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Holy ****, Ren & Stimpy look AMAZING now. Visually, I'd say they got the biggest glowup of the entire cast; not only does Ren no longer look like a corpse and Stimpy no longer look like goop, they each actually have more than one facial expression. In terms of gameplay, they look a lot more interesting too. The new LOG angles remind me a lot of Gordo, which is one of my favorite moves in Smash, and the character in general looks to be a lot less "Light Dair Simulator" than they were before. Their super is, of course, incredible, definitely my favorite one we've seen. These guys are now fighting Jimmy, Donnie, and Garfield for my main slot.
And of course, their alts look a hell of a lot better than the ****ty Santa hats from 1. Massive W as always.
The thing that gets me is like...they even have Stimpy doing PTM's generic superhero pose. So...yeah, between this and the stage and also not even seeing him in the NASB1 portion no less...I think he's gone, guys.View attachment 377589
RIP. The devs let the haters win 😔
you've not read many garfields have you?
My man's really trying to gatekeep Garfield.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

Someone on reddit found a YouTube channel that """leaked""" some of the character themes:

Now personally, I believe this is fake. Some of these themes don't seem to fit the character a lot. Like with Helga or April.

Also if this is fake, I'd really like to know where they took the Plankton theme. That one sounds pretty cool personally.
im pretty sure the "jenny theme" here is from shadow the hedgehog.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
The thing that gets me is like...they even have Stimpy doing PTM's generic superhero pose. So...yeah, between this and the stage and also not even seeing him in the NASB1 portion no less...I think he's gone, guys.View attachment 377589
It's weird because it doesn't... make any sense for him to be doing this especially in regards to the other half of the move. They aren't related at all

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
To be honest I get that they're definitely reusing assets and moveset, but if Ren & Stimpy is losing the secondary rep they should have make them separate. I feel like there's more than enough stuff they could do on their own.

darkvortex

Smash Lord

pretty sure this is some weird fanfiction thing. I think most of these are just songs from other games

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Lmao, Garfield is NOT bigger than SpongeBob. Just existing for a longer time does not equal being bigger. In fact, I would argue Garfield is less relevant than ever with it's larger competition and less-than-favorable reputation.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Lmao, Garfield is NOT bigger than SpongeBob. Just existing for a longer time does not equal being bigger. In fact, I would argue Garfield is less relevant than ever with it's larger competition and less-than-favorable reputation.
geez bit harsh

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Garfield isn't bigger than Spongebob anymore. He was absolutely no question at that level at one point. The problem is, like others before and after it, the IP just couldn't keep up with the passage of time and its own boneheaded decisions, so the star faded out.

I'm within the right age range to remember when Garfield was considered one of the big dog cartoon characters. Just because he isn't popular unironically now doesn't mean he never was.

geez bit harsh
Look Jim, if you did a better job at establishing an ensemble cast instead of having every strip focus exclusively on Jon and Garfield, with Odie and Liz showing up occasionally, there'd be more possible characters for a Garfield rep.
And don't bring up US Acres, that doesn't count!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Look Jim, if you did a better job at establishing an ensemble cast instead of having every strip focus exclusively on Jon and Garfield, with Odie and Liz showing up occasionally, there'd be more possible characters for a Garfield rep.
you really don’t read the comics do you? Liz and odie are main characters who appear all the time. It’s characters like Arlene and nermal who don’t show up all the time

LimeTH

Smash Lord
you really don’t read the comics do you? Liz and odie are main characters who appear all the time. It’s characters like Arlene and nermal who don’t show up all the time
Bruh.

I've been reading Garfield comics since I learned how to read. There would be long stretches where Odie wouldn't appear unless needed, and Liz was on Arlene and Nermal's level until about ten years ago when the status quo shift happened.

90's-00's Garfield was almost exclusively Garfield and Jon.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Bruh.

I've been reading Garfield comics since I learned how to read. There would be long stretches where Odie wouldn't appear unless needed, and Liz was on Arlene and Nermal's level until about ten years ago when the status quo shift happened.

90's-00's Garfield was almost exclusively Garfield and Jon.
well bruh I’ve read nearly all 45 years worth of comics so I bloody well know. to narrow a franchise that’s been around that long to just one decade is a disservice. Odie has appeared hundreds of times yeah you could say he only appeared when needed but it’s a 3 panel comic strip everyone only appears when needed. Liz may not have been a main character but she has become one. Cause a character’s role can change even in something that’s made purely for laughs

I can understand not wanting or even not liking other Garfield characters but you all don’t have to be so dismissive. I get enough of that from the anti toad smash fans

LimeTH

Smash Lord
well bruh I’ve read nearly all 45 years worth of comics so I bloody well know. to narrow a franchise that’s been around that long to just one decade is a disservice. Odie has appeared hundreds of times yeah you could say he only appeared when needed but it’s a 3 panel comic strip everyone only appears when needed. Liz may not have been a main character but she has become one. Cause a character’s role can change even in something that’s made purely for laughs

I can understand not wanting or even not liking other Garfield characters but you all don’t have to be so dismissive. I get enough of that from the anti toad smash fans
I'm not dismissing it based on one decade, I've read more than just that time period too. I have books from the 70's and 80's my dad gave me and I've done my catching up on the 10's and 20's every so often.

I KNOW Odie isn't that scarce, I'm just saying Garfield comics don't usually utilize the supporting cast as much as something like Spongebob. Odie shows up plenty, but he still doesn't clock in as many appearances as Garfield and Jon.

And even then, I was kidding around. I was doing the bit where youre secretly Jim Davis. I didn't want this to turn into a pissing contest over who's the bigger Garfield fan.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not dismissing it based on one decade, I've read more than just that time period too. I have books from the 70's and 80's my dad gave me and I've done my catching up on the 10's and 20's every so often.

I KNOW Odie isn't that scarce, I'm just saying Garfield comics don't usually utilize the supporting cast as much as something like Spongebob. Odie shows up plenty, but he still doesn't clock in as many appearances as Garfield and Jon.

And even then, I was kidding around. I was doing the bit where youre secretly Jim Davis. I didn't want this to turn into a pissing contest over who's the bigger Garfield fan.
sorry I get a bit defensive of the things I love. even in your 30s fanboy habits die hard

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
It's weird because it doesn't... make any sense for him to be doing this especially in regards to the other half of the move. They aren't related at all
if he's cut - it could very well just serve as a fun reference. powdered toast man is a pretty reputable figure within the ren + stimpy canon so the idea stimpy would imitate him when taking a hit isn't entirely incredulous. false confidence and such

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Garfield isn't bigger than Spongebob anymore. He was absolutely no question at that level at one point. The problem is, like others before and after it, the IP just couldn't keep up with the passage of time and its own boneheaded decisions, so the star faded out.

I'm within the right age range to remember when Garfield was considered one of the big dog cartoon characters. Just because he isn't popular unironically now doesn't mean he never was.

And don't bring up US Acres, that doesn't count!
Believe me I'm old enough to remember it too, but those days are long, long behind us.

Though in my humble opinion I think Garfield dropped the ball long before SpongeBob even premiered. He's not even funny anymore.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Believe me I'm old enough to remember it too, but those days are long, long behind us.

Though in my humble opinion I think Garfield dropped the ball long before SpongeBob even premiered. He's not even funny anymore.
I don't wanna set anything off again but uh... the Garfield comics got pretty dire for a pretty long time, yeah.

But then Spongebob hasn't been funny in years either so it evens out.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't wanna set anything off again but uh... the Garfield comics got pretty dire for a pretty long time, yeah.

But then Spongebob hasn't been funny in years either so it evens out.
Honestly starting with Season 9 Spongebob is actually pretty good.

And on the topic of Garfield and stuff, personally I'd rather characters be chosen on their own merit than just to fill a quota of "X franchise is more popular than Y". Like, if they have good moveset I wouldn't mind having 3 Ahh real monsters rep and Garfield still be solo for example.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly starting with Season 9 Spongebob is actually pretty good.

And on the topic of Garfield and stuff, personally I'd rather characters be chosen on their own merit than just to fill a quota of "X franchise is more popular than Y". Like, if they have good moveset I wouldn't mind having 3 Ahh real monsters rep and Garfield still be solo for example.
And the devs think that way, as Rugrats has only one rep despite how big and iconic it is.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And the devs think that way, as Rugrats has only one rep despite how big and iconic it is.
I think that's because fighting what are babies wouldn't stand pretty well with audiences...

Which doesn't surprise me given how dedicated these games producers are staying true to Arnold's character as a pacifist by not adding him despite the fan demand.
Why we got Gerald and Gertie instead

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that's because fighting what are babies wouldn't stand pretty well with audiences...

Which doesn't surprise me given how dedicated these games producers are staying true to Arnold's character as a pacifist by not adding him despite the fan demand.
Why we got Gerald and Gertie instead
And yet they added Lincoln and Aang who are also pacifists.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Difference is being a pacifist is a main core part of Arnold's character. Aang only fights when he needs to.

Also Lincoln's a pacifist? I don't see it...He's been shown to give others a piece of his mind if pushed to his limit.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Difference is being a pacifist is a main core part of Arnold's character. Aang only fights when he needs to.

Also Lincoln's a pacifist? I don't see it...He's been shown to give others a piece of his mind if pushed to his limit.
He doesn't. Usually Lincoln doesn't like fighting and tends to prefer peaceful negotiations. Any fighting on his part is usually involuntary and he always loses because he's terrible at anything athletic (something that Arnold actually has a leg up on him on, as Arnold is very talented at sports).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
A clear sign you have no ****ing idea what you're talking about.

Aang would like nothing more than to be a pacifist, but he comes from a world and a time where that literally is not an option.

"Many great and wise Air Nomads have detached themselves and achieved spiritual enlightenment, but the Avatar can never do it, because your sole duty is to the world. Here is my wisdom for you. Selfless duty calls you to sacrifice your own spiritual needs and do whatever it takes to protect the world." - Avatar Yangchen

As for Lincoln? The Louds regularly start in-fighting dust cloud brawls, it's literally in the theme song of the show.

Last edited:
Top Bottom