• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I wanted to bring up two highlights from the EVO Trailer

First Up, Spongebob's open smile makes him look doopy as heck it's...it's pretty funny

Also, i heard a remixed version of Jellyfish Fields in the beginning so it sounds like the stages will definitely be getting new versions of the tracks.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
I'd save Goofy Goober for the next game, if NASB2 is a hit the team will get an even bigger budget, resources and IP to work with.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Goofy Goober is an iconic moment but I like the puff thing better. Reflects spongebob's personality in the show more

Supers we know

Spongebob - Diving School
Patrick - Rock
Squidward - Handsome Squidward

Two of those are just gueses but they seem to be the case

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Goofy Goober is an iconic moment but I like the puff thing better. Reflects spongebob's personality in the show more

Supers we know

Spongebob - Diving School
Patrick - Rock
Squidward - Handsome Squidward

Two of those are just gueses but they seem to be the case
Zim's super is said to involve the moose thing (I think) which could possibly be the Florpus Hole.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If there are more veterans, I wonder how they'll be revealed? Will they just drop the showcase? Will they show up in the background of the Azula or whoever reveal? I doubt they'll get trailers of their own at least.

One thing I appreciate about Plankton in NASB 2 is that they gave him a mech that looks like himself and - unlike the source material in Sponge out of Water - gave it unique expressions, so it still looks like you're fighting as Plankton compared to his appearances in other Nick and SpongeBob games.

Last edited:

darkvortex

Smash Lord
correct me if i'm wrong, but we haven't seen garfield's old stage right?
We haven't seen it but someone on the dev team mentioned that they where doing a remix of the theme so it's probably back

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Some Supers idea I had:

Jimmy: teleport the opponents in the past and they get attacked by dinosaur
Plankton: He become his super hero persona from the last movie
Rocko: Suck everyone in the Suck-O-Matic
Ember: Summon Penelope and Kitty and she does the banishing kiss

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Some Supers idea I had:

Jimmy: teleport the opponents in the past and they get attacked by dinosaur
Plankton: He become his super hero persona from the last movie
Rocko: Suck everyone in the Suck-O-Matic
Ember: Summon Penelope and Kitty and she does the banishing kiss
I've got more:
Sandy: She throws the opponent in her rocket and launches them up to the moon for an instant KO.
Shredder; He transforms into Super Shredder and beats down on the opponent.
Lincoln: He teams up with his best friend Clyde and they do a beat down on the opponent, Ace Savvy style.
Lucy: She grabs a book of black magic and summons spirits to attack the fighters. It's essentially like Pit's FS in Brawl.
Reptar: He grows to the size of a skyscraper and launches a volley of fireballs at the fighters.
Jenny; This is basically a clone of Mega Man's Final Smash where she summons all the XJ sisters together for a powerful laser burst.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'd personally make it so everyone including Rocko is running away from the Suck-O-Matic, and Rocko is just the one who happens to escape by pure luck - or maybe he does actually get sucked up and is spat out with insane force.
That sounds genuinely hilarious, I can already imagine his terrified expression! XD

Also

F2u87_obYAAvAq3.png

Obviously fake, but MTV IS owned by Viacom!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
It seems like that are trying to reference a lot of the movies. Static Cling got a stage in the first game, they mentioned Zim's super uses Minimoose (likely from Enter the Florpus), Hugh's old loss animation was the mind control from the first movie, SpongeBob has a move from the Goofy Goober Rock now, and the likelihood of San Lorenzo being a stage...

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Well... I do live in a desert that's been nuked so much the land looks like swiss cheese

Sorry for offending you, but bro, did Young Einstein used to live in your neighborhood using chisel on beer?
Anyway, this landscape looks cool and upsetting at the same time.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Heyy everyone! I'm really excited for the new game and what both Plankton and the Slime Meter can do.

But I do have one concern. Though I'm unsure if it's just me or if others may agree.

I'm not sure how I feel about some of the gameplay changes. The first game took a lot of liberties and experimented with the platform fighting genre. But now it seems like they're removing a lot of what made it unique just to be like what it was experimenting to be different from to begin with. Bubble Shield instead of a block, 5 directional air attacks, charge attacks, horizontal attacks, ect. It's a similar concern to what I have with Rivals of Aether 2.

I just hope I can still grab and turn in the air like the first game.

I want platform fighters to prove that they don't need to be like Smash to succeed.

Do you guys think I'm wrong for feeling this way or do others agree?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
anyone else thinking garfields super move will involve him turning into his pet force self?
No, but i did before when i came up with a cartoon all-stars fighting game long time ago.

Actually that might be MUGEN i was imagining that in but back then i thought THAT would work.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Bad news on that front.
excuse me.png
Dang. liked being able to grab in the air as it balanced out the air game and offered more punishing options to characters like Helga with her down special counter. If Smash had an air grab that would make punishing their a million characters with special counters a lot more fun.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Sorry for offending you, but bro, did Young Einstein used to live in your neighborhood using chisel on beer?
Anyway, this landscape looks cool and upsetting at the same time.
It's Nevada. The federal government owns 85% of the land and this is what they used it for.

Well spent, wouldn't you say?
:yoshi:

DemifiendEnjoyer

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, with Gammill publishing the new dream works racing game, it would potentially be possible for them to add Skipper or Po, they where in some of the nick brawl flash games so it would be nice to get one or both of them back in as dlc.

Faso115

Smash Lord
LOL another fighting game roster leaked. (Tekken 8 for the curious)

Similar sentiment here that "the roster is not finished" or some cope like that. Though in NASB2's case, the actual roster screen hasn't leaked (yet)

Speaking of which, do you think characters will be grouped by franchise or by random order? I hope they let you customize the select screen.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Similar sentiment here that "the roster is not finished" or some cope like that. Though in NASB2's case, the actual roster screen hasn't leaked (yet)

Speaking of which, do you think characters will be grouped by franchise or by random order? I hope they let you customize the select screen.
I hope by franchise. One complaint I had about Ultimate was how NOT doing this made it hard to find characters with how many there are and how random the "by addition to Smash" order is.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Both.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I hope by franchise. One complaint I had about Ultimate was how NOT doing this made it hard to find characters with how many there are and how random the "by addition to Smash" order is.
NASB1 did it by franchise so I believe they'll go that route again.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
One thing I just noticed from the gameplay reveal is that, although the Kamp Koral leak was fake, we still got unique wavedash animations! Very excited to see those in action, moreso than the supers really.

Also, does anyone know what SpongeBob's rolling ball move is a reference to?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As there are 36 total characters assuming that everyone returns and the newcomers on the poster are the only newcomers on the base roster, and there are 11 full weeks until launch they're going to have to do a minimum of three showcases a week in order to fit every single showcase prior to launch. If we get a week with less than three showcases there's a very good chance that there are indeed cuts, but it's very unlikely that we get the "worst case scenario" where the characters on the poster are all we're gonna get.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
did we ever take a moment to apprciate the irony that this game finally got revealed the minute we all stopped talking about the leaks?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Heyy everyone! I'm really excited for the new game and what both Plankton and the Slime Meter can do.

But I do have one concern. Though I'm unsure if it's just me or if others may agree.

I'm not sure how I feel about some of the gameplay changes. The first game took a lot of liberties and experimented with the platform fighting genre. But now it seems like they're removing a lot of what made it unique just to be like what it was experimenting to be different from to begin with. Bubble Shield instead of a block, 5 directional air attacks, charge attacks, horizontal attacks, ect. It's a similar concern to what I have with Rivals of Aether 2.

I just hope I can still grab and turn in the air like the first game.

I want platform fighters to prove that they don't need to be like Smash to succeed.

Do you guys think I'm wrong for feeling this way or do others agree?
I get we're you coming from, but honestly Smash is such a good basis and is so hard to dethrone that I can't blame them to try to be closer to Smash. Unfortunately with this genre, games that experiment too much more often than not end up being disappointing for the community, such as Playstation all stars battle royale.

Probably by franchise because with the first game even when they add Shredder post launch he was grouped with his franchise (next to April) instead of based on his release date (which would have been next to Garfield)

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I get we're you coming from, but honestly Smash is such a good basis and is so hard to dethrone that I can't blame them to try to be closer to Smash. Unfortunately with this genre, games that experiment too much more often than not end up being disappointing for the community, such as Playstation all stars battle royale.
This is true but PSASBR had fundamental design and roster problems as well. Heck really any platform fighter prior to Rivals was inherently flawed in some major way

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
A couple random things I want to talk about from the gameplay showcase that I haven’t seen mentioned here:

When they talked about slime, you could sometimes see slime orbiting around a character while they weren’t doing anything. What I think is happening is that there’s a “Slime Button” you hold while pressing other buttons to spend your slime, and this visual effect shows that you are holding the slime button. It’s kind of like how Slap City has a symbol appear above your character when you are holding the clutch button, and I think it’s there to make it more obvious to newcomers that the slime button is working.

Another thing is that there’s a new animation for characters returning to the stage after being KO’ed, where they emerge from a star-shaped portal, like the ones in the campaign mode.

Random side note, but I just want to mention how much better the trailers are for NASB2 are than NASB1. You could barely tell what’s going on in most of the gameplay parts of NASB1 trailers, and the NASB2 trailers have better zoom-ins of the characters’ models too.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This is true but PSASBR had fundamental design and roster problems as well. Heck really any platform fighter prior to Rivals was inherently flawed in some major way
Games like PSASBR, Digimon Rumble Arena, and CNPTEXL didn't inherit their flaws from being too similar to or different from Smash - they inherited them from a common misunderstanding of Smash's appeal at the time. The common assumption then was that the reason that Smash works is simply because it's a fighting game that less experienced players can understand with unusual stage layouts and Mario Kart items, when in reality Smash gained its appeal - even casually - from a lot of different mechanics not found in other fighting games, particularly related to movement, stage layouts (not inherently of the wacky variety), and ring-outs, alongside (not "as opposed to" or "in spite of", mind you) the pick-up-and-play control scheme and casual bonus content - think of it like the Pac-Man ghost AI, very few people fully understand it, but everybody who plays the game experiences it too, and it contributes positively even if not noticed - and that applies to the modern Smash games as well as the first 2 games. While Project M definitely contributed a lot to quelling this misconception, Rivals absolutely crushed it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom