• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Jesus Christ, I was not aware of the "incident" ya'll were talking about. And Ember was one of my favorite members of Danny's rogue's gallery too... Sheesh.
I remember that not only the shooting but there was something called "Ember's Ghost Squad" featuring violent Flash animation cartoons in which a squad of ghosts who seek out suicidal people and recruit them. The show itself was a fan-made spin-off of the Danny Phantom, and based off of the character Ember McLain.
(That channel has been deleted and now gone.)

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Jesus Christ, I was not aware of the "incident" ya'll were talking about. And Ember was one of my favorite members of Danny's rogue's gallery too... Sheesh.
Still, I wouldn't let that hurt your opinion of the character (not that I'm accusing you of doing so). The incident is still very obscure overall.

Also, while being unable to fall asleep tonight I had an interesting thought. An entry or two down the line, the idea of Smash-esque Third Party characters comes to mind for a lot of people. But how would that be defined in this case? I had my own ideas for it along with a few examples of who we could get out of it.

The main criteria in this case would be Characters/franchises not owned by Nickelodeon, but aired on Nickelodeon at some point during their run, some of which are still associated with Nickelodeon. Especially since it's called Nickelodeon All Star Brawl (so one can't play the "It's not just [Inset first party here] all-stars anymore! It's MORE than that!" card often played in Smash speculation to justify characters with no connection to Nintendo), and Nickelodeon has no real reason to promote their competitors in their game (so no Steven Universe or Luz Owl House, no doubt who'd be popular requests under other sets of criteria). The show has to have a connection to Nickelodeon. So under these criteria, who do you think would be chosen? :dr^_^:

Peanuts - Gonna start with a bit of an oddball here but hear me out! :3 Peanuts does have a collection to Nick through You're on Nickelodeon, Charlie Brown!, and umbrella program that aired most animated Peanuts specials on Nick until 2004. Furthermore, one might think a comic strip character like Charlie Brown or Snoopy would be out of place. But by the time this would be considered we'll more than likely have Garfield in the game, who is also a comic strip character. So the chosen Peanuts rep won't feel so out of place! The only issue here is that Peanuts typically isn't associated with Nickelodeon despite this connection.

Tak and the Power of Juju - Tak was THQ's mascot for awhile (and a rare example of a character who technically qualifies for both this and Smash) and Nick produced a TV show for him in the late 2000's. Tak has historical significance for Nickelodeon, being the former mascot of the company that did (and still does) produce licensed video games for Nickelodeon, and being a Nicktoon puts him in a weird sort of grey area between first and third party.

Rabbids - Rabbids Invasion was a surprisingly successful show, especially overseas, and lasted a full four seasons. Another character that qualifies for both this and Smash, Nick didn't air the fourth season, but the success of the show, along with a newfound fondness in some fans for the Rabbids thanks to Kingdom Battle, could lead to Nick approving of their inclusion. Especially at this point in the franchise's life where Nick would be willing to shell out a lot of investment money to license them from Ubisoft.

Dreamworks Animation - They got a lot of memes and consideration when this game was first announced, and have had Nicktoons made of three of their franchises, so a strong connection is there. However, Nickelodeon found it too costly to continue licensing their franchises after awhile, which is the reason for their move to Netflix. However, as this franchise gains prestige I can imagine Nick would be willing to shell out the cash at that point to license them and bring the Dreamworks crowd back in. The Penguins as a Tag Team mechanic, or Po, would definitely be the frontrunners. But I can still imagine a push for Shrek given his mematic status, his position as Dreamworks' mascot, and general popularity, despite not getting a Nicktoon himself.

Under this set of conditions, who do you think would be chosen as third party characters in the hypothetical Brawl equivilant for the All Star Brawl franchise? :3

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Still, I wouldn't let that hurt your opinion of the character (not that I'm accusing you of doing so). The incident is still very obscure overall.

Also, while being unable to fall asleep tonight I had an interesting thought. An entry or two down the line, the idea of Smash-esque Third Party characters comes to mind for a lot of people. But how would that be defined in this case? I had my own ideas for it along with a few examples of who we could get out of it.

The main criteria in this case would be Characters/franchises not owned by Nickelodeon, but aired on Nickelodeon at some point during their run, some of which are still associated with Nickelodeon. Especially since it's called Nickelodeon All Star Brawl (so one can't play the "It's not just [Inset first party here] all-stars anymore! It's MORE than that!" card often played in Smash speculation to justify characters with no connection to Nintendo), and Nickelodeon has no real reason to promote their competitors in their game (so no Steven Universe or Luz Owl House, no doubt who'd be popular requests under other sets of criteria). The show has to have a connection to Nickelodeon. So under these criteria, who do you think would be chosen? :dr^_^:

Peanuts - Gonna start with a bit of an oddball here but hear me out! :3 Peanuts does have a collection to Nick through You're on Nickelodeon, Charlie Brown!, and umbrella program that aired most animated Peanuts specials on Nick until 2004. Furthermore, one might think a comic strip character like Charlie Brown or Snoopy would be out of place. But by the time this would be considered we'll more than likely have Garfield in the game, who is also a comic strip character. So the chosen Peanuts rep won't feel so out of place! The only issue here is that Peanuts typically isn't associated with Nickelodeon despite this connection.

Tak and the Power of Juju - Tak was THQ's mascot for awhile (and a rare example of a character who technically qualifies for both this and Smash) and Nick produced a TV show for him in the late 2000's. Tak has historical significance for Nickelodeon, being the former mascot of the company that did (and still does) produce licensed video games for Nickelodeon, and being a Nicktoon puts him in a weird sort of grey area between first and third party.

Rabbids - Rabbids Invasion was a surprisingly successful show, especially overseas, and lasted a full four seasons. Another character that qualifies for both this and Smash, Nick didn't air the fourth season, but the success of the show, along with a newfound fondness in some fans for the Rabbids thanks to Kingdom Battle, could lead to Nick approving of their inclusion. Especially at this point in the franchise's life where Nick would be willing to shell out a lot of investment money to license them from Ubisoft.

Dreamworks Animation - They got a lot of memes and consideration when this game was first announced, and have had Nicktoons made of three of their franchises, so a strong connection is there. However, Nickelodeon found it too costly to continue licensing their franchises after awhile, which is the reason for their move to Netflix. However, as this franchise gains prestige I can imagine Nick would be willing to shell out the cash at that point to license them and bring the Dreamworks crowd back in. The Penguins as a Tag Team mechanic, or Po, would definitely be the frontrunners. But I can still imagine a push for Shrek given his mematic status, his position as Dreamworks' mascot, and general popularity, despite not getting a Nicktoon himself.

Under this set of conditions, who do you think would be chosen as third party character in the hypothetical Brawl equivilant for the All Star Brawl franchise? :3
As far as I can tell they have literally never aired on Nickelodeon (though they have occasionally aired on CN) but that will not stop me from giving respect to my cheesy boys

I'm not sure how they'd function together - clones of one another seems like the best choice (maybe Wallace is stronger, but since Gromit can run on 4 legs he's faster than the old man) - but I can imagine their playstyle pretty well. They'd be trapper archetype characters with projectiles galore, given that 1. inventions are their game; and 2. if you watch their movies you'll find they rarely show direct agression towards their villains unless in extremely dire circumstances

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
As far as I can tell they have literally never aired on Nickelodeon (though they have occasionally aired on CN) but that will not stop me from giving respect to my cheesy boys

I'm not sure how they'd function together - clones of one another seems like the best choice (maybe Wallace is stronger, but since Gromit can run on 4 legs he's faster than the old man) - but I can imagine their playstyle pretty well. They'd be trapper archetype characters with projectiles galore, given that 1. inventions are their game; and 2. if you watch their movies you'll find they rarely show direct agression towards their villains unless in extremely dire circumstances
Aardman DOES have a connection to Nick through them working with Dreamworks on Chicken Run and Ubisoft on Rabbids Invasion, so it COULD happen! Honestly, I would LOVE to see them, too!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Under this set of conditions, who do you think would be chosen as third party characters in the hypothetical Brawl equivilant for the All Star Brawl franchise? :3
Looney Tunes - From 1988 to 99, Nick hosted a Looney Tunes block literally titled "Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon", and then in the early 2000s, the network reran Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Finn and Jake from Adventure Time, would not happen.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
For simplicity (and sanity)'s sake, I think they'll strictly focus on any series that they've either created or acquired. Last thing we need are the Goku supporters coming in this thread.
Yeah, honestly i would prefer if this game (and future sequels) stick to mostly Nikctoons only. Like i would rather have live action cahracters first, at least those are Nick-Exclusive.

Even then i always thought that guest characters in a cartoon fighting game would be better off at a Cartoon Network crossover, if only for the latter's origins as a channel that aired old cartoons, plus a lot of shows on Cartoon Network, even when they were aquired, were treated with a little more respect than you would expect, giving them their own unique bumpers and commercials.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I disagree, the game massively benefits from just having full movesets that represent the character's personality than a lazy clone when we could easily get MORE of their character and quirks to shine as a unique fighter. Especially in a game like this that's going all in on references while still having functional movesets? Anyone being a clone in this game would miss out big time.
There's also the fact that outside of maybe, maybe, maybe the Turtles, almost no one is fit to be a clone. We get clones in Smash because a lot of video game characters re-use assets and models (with some characters like Luigi and Ken) and therefore some of them feel like easier clone material.

2D cartoons like Spongebob never had this limiation, and as such, many of their characters almost NEVER look alike, which means making clones of them almost impossible, since they don't even have a similar model in the first place. Honestly the only non-TMNT cartoon characters that i can think of that could be clones in a fighting game are the Powerpuff Girls, and even then CN PTE didn't have them be clones.

Like, yeah, if you dig hard enough maybe you would find a character fit for the criteria, but the idea of clones is to pad out the roster by adding popular characters that look and fight similarily to an existing character to make development fast, like Richter from Simon, or Lucina from Marth.

What clone could Spongebob get that isn't already Spongebob himself? Bad Spongebob, Spongetron from that one episode he loses his brain, and Spongegar are all basically just Spongebob.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
There's also the fact that outside of maybe, maybe, maybe the Turtles, almost no one is fit to be a clone. We get clones in Smash because a lot of video game characters re-use assets and models (with some characters like Luigi and Ken) and therefore some of them feel like easier clone material.

2D cartoons like Spongebob never had this limiation, and as such, many of their characters almost NEVER look alike, which means making clones of them almost impossible, since they don't even have a similar model in the first place. Honestly the only non-TMNT cartoon characters that i can think of that could be clones in a fighting game are the Powerpuff Girls, and even then CN PTE didn't have them be clones.

Like, yeah, if you dig hard enough maybe you would find a character fit for the criteria, but the idea of clones is to pad out the roster by adding popular characters that look and fight similarily to an existing character to make development fast, like Richter from Simon, or Lucina from Marth.

What clone could Spongebob get that isn't already Spongebob himself? Bad Spongebob, Spongetron from that one episode he loses his brain, and Spongegar are all basically just Spongebob.
The Spongebob with the green face

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Alvin & The Chipmunks

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

If Nick Jr stuff are allowed, I would actually like Paw patrol. From what I saw it's probably one of the best kids show right now, and there's probably enough content to make a moveset with (they sometimes use gadget and other stuff).

Aside from that, I really enjoyed The tales of Ladybug and Cat noir. Ladybug actually have a huge movest potential: she mainly fight using a yo-yo, but she can also summon a random item to help her with battle, and she can fuse witth other superhero to gain new power, like fuse with Cat noir to become Lady noire. The thing with LadyBug is that when she use too much her power, she transform back to her civilian form (she's called Marinette). In Nick all star brawl, this could be a fun concept where you have some very powerful moves, but if you used them too much you will be a civilian for some time and be very weak. Unfortunately, the show was broadcasted on Nick, but it was removed pretty fast and Disney channel pick it up so I'm not sure if it could happen.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Remember the one time Cartoon Network invaded Nickelodeon? I guess CN is considered fair game now.

In all seriousness, That's pretty insane to think that actually happened and it wasn't just some random commercial pulled from Warner Bros/Cartoon Network's own channel, It was literally created with the intention of taking a jab at their biggest competition in Nickelodeon and on their own home turf no less.

Obviously, I doubt it will ever happen, But I think most would absolutely pay to see these 2 major childhood network powerhouses go at it in a crossover fighting game someday, I know for damn sure I would.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Forcing the Rugrats and Thornberries to share a stage would be a crime and extremely stupid.
Especially considering that The Wild Thornberrys is not a spinoff of Rugrats and is instead its own IP made by the same creators that crossed over with it once. This decision would degrade the Wild Thornberrys from its own IP to a Rugrats spinoff.
Isn't sharing stages what PSABR did?
This is not PSASBR and so far all stages have specifically represented one IP.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Isn't sharing stages what PSABR did?
Not really, PSABR stages had a main universe, and a second universe that invade the stages (for exemple the Hydra from God of war invade the Metropolis from Ratchet & Clank). But some people think the Rugrats stages will be a Rugrats go wild stage, which is a crossover between Rugrats and Wild thornberry.

Basically imagine if Rabbids was in Smash and their home stages is the ancient garden from Mario + Rabbids. Sure it could make a grat stage, but that's not really the best Rabbids representation, in the same way that the Rugrats + Thornberry crossover isn't the best Rugrats representation.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Remember the one time Cartoon Network invaded Nickelodeon? I guess CN is considered fair game now.

In all seriousness, That's pretty insane to think that actually happened and it wasn't just some random commercial pulled from Warner Bros/Cartoon Network's own channel, It was literally created with the intention of taking a jab at their biggest competition in Nickelodeon and on their own home turf no less.

Obviously, I doubt it will ever happen, But I think most would absolutely pay to see these 2 major childhood network powerhouses go at it in a crossover fighting game someday, I know for damn sure I would.
Didnt know about this. This is really cool.

Interesting choice for Ren and Stimpy. Personally, I always draw a blank when thinking of iconic stages for the series.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not really, PSABR stages had a main universe, and a second universe that invade the stages (for exemple the Hydra from God of war invade the Metropolis from Ratchet & Clank). But some people think the Rugrats stages will be a Rugrats go wild stage, which is a crossover between Rugrats and Wild thornberry.

Basically imagine if Rabbids was in Smash and their home stages is the ancient garden from Mario + Rabbids. Sure it could make a grat stage, but that's not really the best Rabbids representation, in the same way that the Rugrats + Thornberry crossover isn't the best Rugrats representation.
Reminds me of the time when the Rabbids were included in a TMNT fighting game for essentially no reason.

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly, if we have both 22 characters and 22 stages, I don't see why they wouldn't line up. Or, at the very least, I don't see why they would have a character in the game with no stage from their associated IP.

I know stage theory is just a theory, but also home stages are one of the most common elements in fighting game design. Not to say they have to do it, especially as it isn't always done in platform fighters, but I wouldn't personally compare it to things like Colour Theory or other pattern-seeking Smash theories. This is more like speculating that the game will have a mechanic that Smash doesn't have then it is speculating that the marketing was inentional patterns that we can reverse-engineer.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Considering they had to change the name of the Chokey Chicken for the movie due to it being lewd slang
It was the final season of the TV show that had Chewy Chicken. The movie went back to Chokey, probably because Rocko's audience is now 20 years older.

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
He's talking about this
I remember hearing about this. Personally doubt that it means we're getting character voices. The more likely case is we're getting an announcer for the game. Maybe it's the guy from the Future Games Con trailer

Top Bottom