• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think, WRT Catdog's response, there is something to be said about the attention got from awakening dormant nostalgia as opposed to targeting a known and existent fanbase. See also: How people reacted to Beat in Monkey Ball versus Morgana in Monkey Ball.

Also, some store pages have updated to have the Steam page description, but with Avatar being explicitly mentioned in them.

View attachment 328207

View attachment 328208

Obviously we all know that Avatar is coming, so this is not a reveal by any means, but I think it may be reasonable to conclude that Avatar content will be part of the next reveal and that it will be soon-ish...
I mentioned this on Discord, but if I had to shoot for when we might get some avatar news, I would keep an eye on Pax West. Pax west is no stranger to game announcements, and announcing Avatar there seems like an easy way to get some extra hype. Granted, I doubt Game Mill or Ludosity have a presence at PAX, but if I had to bet, Avatar will be the next announcement.

Anywho, the reason I do not buy the leak is timing. We know this game was in development for a while. since 2019 or so. The Garfield buyout might not have happened in time to ensure him for base. I could easily see Garfield as a result missing the boat due to that alone.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I don't think a leak necessarily needs to be real to be worth discussing. In my opinion, being willing and open to discuss leaks that might be fake is just part of the fun of speculation (provided they're substantial enough to talk about; we aren't talking 4chan text BS here).
...I don't really get it; I can understand talking about characters involved in a leak, but if it's been confirmed fake, I don't understand the point of discussing the leak itself.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind leak discussion, I just dislike a leak discussion if it gets to the point where we have a dev go "it's fake guys" with extra fluff and detail; only for the community to follow up with "but what if the dev is lying tho?". The guy never did that before. It makes me firmly believe that the leak isn't worth our time. Gives me similar energy to "Sakurai is a liar, this can still happen!".

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't mind leak discussion, I just dislike a leak discussion if it gets to the point where we have a dev go "it's fake guys" with extra fluff and detail; only to be followed up with "but what if the dev is lying tho?" Despite the guy not doing that before really. It makes me firmly believe that the leak isn't worth our time. Gives me similar energy to "Sakurai is a liar, this can still happen!".
The idea's less that they're outright lying and more that because a leak of this nature would most likely have come out of Fair Play rather than Ludosity, Rep mistakenly believes it to be fake since the images aren't using Ludo's dev tools. The fact that Rep said this about the leak might support that:

I'm just saying, if an actual developer is saying that the models look convincing, they might just be the actual models at that point. Plus, I mean, what incentive would Rep (or any developer, for that matter) have to not deny this, real or fake? I can't imagine he'd be able to go "yeah, it's real" without landing in at least a bit of hot water.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
View attachment 328206
It's surprising that CatDog managed to ratio April - not that it's a contest, but I didn't even know CatDog had a fanbase at all, let alone one strong enough to outweigh April's.
One fine day with a woof and a purr
A baby was born and it caused a little stir
No blue buzzard, no three-eyed frog
Just a feline canine little CatDog.

CatDog, CatDog, alone in the world is a little CatDog!

But seriously, I think a classic 90s show getting in is more exciting to most people than another character from a show with characters already in. April’s still cool though.

I don't get it. Why do people think we are getting a third Avatar character? Because the series has three maps?

Patterns, i can't escape them even outside of smash. It's always patterns.
Nick’s pushing Avatar very hard rn & will continue to do so. It’s gotten a nostalgia resurgence recently after it got added to Netflix, there’s the Live Action show coming & they just opened an entire studio dedicated to the IP.

It makes sense that they’d want to give it special focus like with Spongebob & TMNT which are their other multi-media franchises.

As for the leak, I’m going to believe the dev. But that leak isn’t outlandish at all, so I can still see Garfield getting in even with this leak being fake. Garfield being in this game would be a good way to start showing the public that he’s a Nicktoon now.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
...Okay, you've got me curious about the Monkey Ball thing... what was the reactions you're talking about?
Oh, just comparing the way Beat from Jet Set Radio was received (a lot of people being hyped for him, with excitement that SEGA is doing anything with the IP) to the way that Morgana from Persona 5 was received (a lot of people being tired of seeing that particular game in collabs, with even P5 fans being mixed on the particular character choice). P5 is obviously more mainstream, but targeting a niche means that most people in that niche will discuss it positively, while mainstream things that are constantly getting collabs can kind of blend into the background.

I mentioned this on Discord, but if I had to shoot for when we might get some avatar news, I would keep an eye on Pax West. Pax west is no stranger to game announcements, and announcing Avatar there seems like an easy way to get some extra hype. Granted, I doubt Game Mill or Ludosity have a presence at PAX, but if I had to bet, Avatar will be the next announcement.
Yeah, at or near PAX makes sense to me, even though they aren't on the exhibition list. It'd be next week for the announcement, but they probably want the reveals to be done a week before launch at least and that seems to be approaching weirdly fast...

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
The idea's less that they're outright lying and more that because a leak of this nature would most likely have come out of Fair Play rather than Ludosity, Rep mistakenly believes it to be fake since the images aren't using Ludo's dev tools. The fact that Rep said this about the leak might support that:

I'm just saying, if an actual developer is saying that the models look convincing, they might just be the actual models at that point. Plus, I mean, what incentive would Rep (or any developer, for that matter) have to not deny this, real or fake? I can't imagine he'd be able to go "yeah, it's real" without landing in at least a bit of hot water.
Many devs are casual about it and can honestly communicate. Saying it's convincing doesn't correlate to it being the real models, there's numerous talented people that recreates things, and there's even a couple of really good mockups that match the style if you search. When Rep had to keep quiet about stuff, he did, he kept quiet about actual leaks (box art and the characters on it forced his silence, the release date slips had him tightlipped as well) and he denied ones that were blatantly fake.

There's no point in talking about it if the devs deny it and could get them in trouble anyways. Especially under the assumption that they're either lying or mistaken.

Last edited:

Hammer B

Smash Journeyman
Didn't one of the devs in Ludosity play dumb when the boxart with silhouettes leaked?.
I remember this person saying something like: 'so good nothing has been leaked so far', as trying to specifically deny the boxart leak, which as we know ended up being true. Hell, they even acknowledged the leak later by calling April 'Leg Girl'.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
So, of the characters in the game so far, we have:
Spongebob, Lincoln, Zim, Powdered Toast Man, Reptar, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Lucy, Danny, Helga, Nigel, Patrick, Sandy, Oblina, April, CatDog, Ren & Stimpy, Aang and Korra

if we eliminate Shout Factory characters (as in characters from series' that have received a Shout Factory boxset), that leaves
Spongebob, Lincoln, Zim, Powdered Toast Man, Reptar, Leonardo, Michelangelo, Lucy, Patrick, Sandy, April, Ren & Stimpy, Aang and Korra

Spongebob, Loud House (both still airing), TMNT (Rise didn't do as well as they were hoping but it's still getting a movie at some point), Avatar (several projects on the way), Rugrats (reboot), Ren and Stimpy (getting a reboot, which contrary to popular belief has not been scrapped), and Zim (movie as well as just an intense fanbase to the point of being the only Nicktoon in the game with less than 3 seasons) are all relevant to modern Nick. Here's who's left if you exclude them from this list:

Uh yeah, none. Any non modern/relevant Nickelodeon series that have something from Shout Factory is all we've gotten (that isn't relevant anyways)

Now here's where things get interesting:
klasky and shout.jpg

(Ignore the Klasky Csupo shows part, the focus is the Shout Factory shows)

We have 3 Nicktoons left here yet to be represented as well as 4 mystery stages

The 3 shows remaining are Rocko, Angry Beavers and Jimmy Neutron from Shout Factory

These are the only companies truly involved with NickBrawl as far as character inclusions go so far, relevant in house Nick/Viacom and Shout Factory re-release shows. (There's technically also Stephen Hillenberg due to Spongebob but y'know 😔 )

So, if this trend continues, who would get in?

Well Rocko seems like a near certainty because it's Rocko and of these 3 has actually been in Nickelodeon games recently

After that, I think I actually lean towards Jimmy

As for Angry Beavers, if Ren & Stimpy truly are a duo character, then I don't really see a good reason why they would include the Angry Beavers as playable alongside them. A stage for this series could also work quite well though

So why Jimmy? Well, it's simply down to patterns. I know those don't usually bode well but in this instance I do think it helps Jimmy's chances. The last Nicktoons game Jimmy Neutron anything has made even an appearance in was Nicktoons MLB. What's interesting to note is that this also applies to Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, which was also last seen in Nicktoons MLB. And yet here Real Monsters is back in a Nicktoons game. Plus as far as I'm aware, Jimmy doesn't seem to have similar legal troubles (well, not obvious ones anyways) as Timmy or Jenny, and if Frederator characters were part of this game at launch, I really think we would've known by now

There's of course some possible wrenches that could be thrown into this idea, those being:
  • They're just messing with us and the last 2 characters are in fact the Frederator reps of Timmy and Jenny
  • The possibility of Loud House getting a third character
  • The possibility of Spongebob getting a fourth character
  • The possibility that the last 2 characters are Donnie and Raph
  • Garfield existing
  • A WTF pick or two that we still don't know about

As far as stage theory, it would still fit. The idea is that the last 4 stages would be for the 3 series' listed above (yes an Angry Beaver's stage with no character, it's not as unlikely as you think. Or since Nick has an anti-Angry Beavers bias maybe it's a game show stage), with the Wild Thornberrys stage actually being a Rugrats Go Wild stage (a dev when asked about if there would be a Rugrats stage if Rugrats had quicksand, which is something prevalent in the first scene of Rugrats Go Wild, a crossover movie between Rugrats and Wild Thornberrys) and as for Ren and Stimpy? It would take the last stage slot

So anyways, taking all of this into account, this is my current roster prediction at the moment and I will probably stick to it until the next reveal

1630225075885.png

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I got to ask, If Garfield was playable, would he be the Gag character of the game?

I could see him breaking the 4th wall and stuff, and possibly cheating the inbuilt game mechanics of the game because hes' too lazy to Fight like a regular Fighter.
Think so.

If there were rivalries like in Playstation All Stars, I can picture Lincoln's rival being Garfield due to both having orange and being lazy a lot.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I got to ask, If Garfield was playable, would he be the Gag character of the game?

I could see him breaking the 4th wall and stuff, and possibly cheating the inbuilt game mechanics of the game because hes' too lazy to Fight like a regular Fighter.
if only Chowder was a Nickelodeon character...

Honestly, I think Garfield would just be a regular lower-heavyweight who would have some kind of sleeping move. A starter character if you will.

If Garfield was added, I wonder if they'd take anything from Garfield and Friends? Like Binky, the Buddy Bears, the whole Abu Dahbi thing, e.t.c.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Think so.

If there were rivalries like in Playstation All Stars, I can picture Lincoln's rival being Garfield due to both having orange and being lazy a lot.
I can think of some rivalry match-ups like:
  • SpongeBob SquarePants VS Rocko Rama:
    • Small childish guys, who work in rather "immature" jobs (Rocko in a comic book shop and SpongeBob as a fry cook in Krusty Krab) and idolize action heroes (Really Really Big Man and Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy).
    • Both have best friends that are overweight, unemployed and dim-witted (Heffer and Patrick) and pets (Spunky the Dog and Gary the Snail).
    • Both have grouchy neighbors always being on the hard end of their life's daily trails (Mr. Ed Bighead and Squidward).
    • Both have a main dining place of rather odd traits (SpongeBob's Krusty Krab and Rocko's Chokey Chicken).
    • Stephen Hillenburg worked on both 1990's shows, having written/directed some episodes in Rocko's Modern Life besides his popularity as SpongeBob's creator.
  • Reptar VS Powdered Toast Man:
    • In-universe characters, who are parodies of popular culture (Godzilla to Reptar and superheroes like Superman to Powdered Toast Man).
    • Are viewed as heroes by certain people, despite their destructive habits.
  • Ren & Stimpy VS CatDog:
    • Cat and dog duos, who has a interesting dynamic between each other and debuted in the 1990's.
  • Nigel Thornberry VS April O'Neil:
    • Both are normal humans, who are related to filming for television; Nigel being the host of his animal show "Nigel Thornberry's Wild World" and April being a television reporter for Channel 6 News.
  • Jimmy Neutron VS Timmy Turner:
    • Both cross-overed with each other a few times before, not only "The Jimmy Timmy Power Hour" specials, but also Nicktoons games.
    • Both made their debuts in 1998; Timmy in the "Oh Yeah! Cartoons" shorts and Jimmy in a pilot "Runaway Rocketboy".
    • Both are 10-year old boys, who has matching names and are quite smart (Timmy at his best, according to VS Battles Wiki).
    • Both represents a classic "magic versus technology" theme, with even having companions themed after it; Cosmo & Wanda for Timmy and Goddard for Jimmy.
  • Danny Phantom VS Jenny Wakeman: (most of the info can be found here, this is a big one for me)
    • Both's series are among the most popular 2000's action-oriented Nicktoon cartoons alongside Avatar: The Last Airbender, with My Life as a Teenage Robot having inspired others.
    • Both are teenagers, who has dual responsibilities between their superhero and high school duties with similar powers/abilities (flight/interstellar travel, energy beams, cryokinesis/pyrokinesis, etc.)
    • The classic "ghost in the machine".
    • Both has almost matching names with the same amount of letters on a family name (minor); Danny "Phantom" and Jenny "Wakeman".
    • Some of their villains has similarities:
      • Vexus = Vlad Plasmius/Technus:
        • For a former, besides being arch-enemies, they seek total world domination and try to convince protagonists to join their side.
        • For the latter, both are able to control technology and machinery.
      • Space Bikers = Johnny 13 - Villains who are associated with motorcycles.
      • Armagedroid = Pariah Dark - Giant villains, who were known to be way more powerful than protagonists on their own, they had to resort to their parents' help (like Nora having built a proton bomb which he digested and Danny using his father's ecto-skeleton suit).
      • Killgore = Box Ghost - Looked down by fellow villains and protagonists didn't take them seriously. They're also underrated and loved among fanbases.
EDIT: Forgot to add SpongeBob VS Rocko at the start, so here they are, at the top of a list.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
To be frank, I'd take pre-battle quotes, even if just text, over voice acting any day - mostly because I want to know what Nigel would have to say about the Turtles and CatDog

Also, have we figured out what that Nigel clap move is? Is he just a Wario-esque weirdo and the animal resemblances of his previous moves are an elaborate coincidence, or is it a crab/seal move or something?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Damn this really is a smash game :4pacman:
Yeah, right down to the part of "let's ignore real/fake leaks, they lead to trouble" then turning back around and doing this.

The only difference is that we know jack and squat about how the gameplay specifically works leading up to the release.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Anywho, the reason I do not buy the leak is timing. We know this game was in development for a while. since 2019 or so. The Garfield buyout might not have happened in time to ensure him for base. I could easily see Garfield as a result missing the boat due to that alone.
I don't buy the leak either and I doubt Garfield is in either way, but that part is not true. The game started development in March 2020, so they technically had plenty of time to add Garfield (the Garfield buyout was in August 2019).

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
so based on some gameplay we've seen who do u guys personally think will be low-tier top-tier. I think top-tier could be zim/catdog and low tier would be nigel and patrick

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
so based on some gameplay we've seen who do u guys personally think will be low-tier top-tier. I think top-tier could be zim/catdog and low tier would be nigel and patrick
Considering the only characters we know a solid amount about are the ones who got their own trailers there really is no grounds for this, especially as the trailers are way too chaotic to really tell what's going on without slowing the game down

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hot Take: the chaotic nature of the released trailers, with all its zooming, spinning, shaking, and other motions effects, is in order to hide lackluster and bland gameplay that lacks the action and impact of games within this genre.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only thing we really have to go off of is that one supposed playtester who shared their experience (Zim being broken and Patrick and Helga being bottom tier), but even then that build was super old and subject to change.

That being said, however, seeing how crazy CatDog is has me thinking they'll either be really good or really bad with no real in-between lmao. If they do end up as mid tiers I'll be very surprised.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hot Take: the chaotic nature of the released trailers, with all its zooming, spinning, shaking, and other motions effects, is in order to hide lackluster and bland gameplay that lacks the action and impact of games within this genre.
Considering who the devs are I doubt that, you also have to keep in mind that Smash trailers are exceptional to fighting game standards and other massive games like DBFZ had issues with short trailers too. I get pessimism because I do agree that the trailers aren't very good but this feels a tad unneeded

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering who the devs are I doubt that, you also have to keep in mind that Smash trailers are exceptional to fighting game standards and other massive games like DBFZ had issues with short trailers too. I get pessimism because I do agree that the trailers aren't very good but this feels a tad unneeded
I mean, it could be worse, some of SFV's characters got less than even that, just concept sketches, that's it.

Although it was worth seeing Kenny Omega act silly for 30 minutes.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just an observation. I do have high hopes about the game but one of my biggest beefs with the trailers is that are one hot mess. I get they want to get people excited but it’s hard to focus on the actual gameplay and, while it’s kind of silly to say this, I do legit get slight motion-sickness from watching it. It’s just hard to discern anything from it with the camera zooming around. I just wouldn’t be surprised if the action/gameplay is a bit more “whiff” rather than “pow!” That was one of my biggest criticisms of PSASBR, hitting someone felt like taking a handful of change, bubble wrapping it, and stuffing it in a wool sock. The hits barely registered and everything felt muffled. I worry this will be more or less the same.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Just an observation. I do have high hopes about the game but one of my biggest beefs with the trailers is that are one hot mess. I get they want to get people excited but it’s hard to focus on the actual gameplay and, while it’s kind of silly to say this, I do legit get slight motion-sickness from watching it. It’s just hard to discern anything from it with the camera zooming around. I just wouldn’t be surprised if the action/gameplay is a bit more “whiff” rather than “pow!” That was one of my biggest criticisms of PSASBR, hitting someone felt like taking a handful of change, bubble wrapping it, and stuffing it in a wool sock. The hits barely registered and everything felt muffled. I worry this will be more or less the same.
I get that but PSABR had an awful development cycle and wasn't even meant to be a fighting game iirc, and as someone who thinks moves need to feel good to land, the trailers when slowed down do show signs of that being done well

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Honestly they could at the very least give us some moveset or even just special move overviews on the website or something. Know what I mean? We can get hype for just the name of a Smash newcomer because we already have ideas of how they'll function. Smash gameplay is a known variable at this point. This is a whole new thing! Why not show us at least some interesting mechanics? Especially since they keep saying they want to market this to the competitive FGC part of the Internet.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well, Nick all stars trailers are already way better than KoF 15 trailers so there's that.

On the topic of trailer, I would like if they did 30 seconds trailer to already announced characters like they did with CatDog and April. There's some characters like Nigel and Danny phantom we barely even see a moves from them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it's Nickelodeon marketing trying to appeal to kids and not hardcore fans who want to see gameplay or recreations of various scenes from Nicktoons, like how Smash trailers will recreate various moments from their own games.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, if there's one issue I have with all three trailers so far, it's that they feel a bit too fast for their own good; you only just barely have enough time to process what it's showing, and they're not even really explaining the characters or how they work (ex. April and her three-stars gimmick; I didn't even notice that was a thing until someone made a video about it). So despite having watched all three trailers quite a number of times, I still feel like I don't really know all that much how a lot of these character are gonna play like.

On the topic of trailer, I would like if they did 30 seconds trailer to already announced characters like they did with CatDog and April. There's some characters like Nigel and Danny phantom we barely even see a moves from them.
Honestly? I would love that! Because you're right; there are characters in the initial reveal trailer who barely got shown off. In particular, the segment featuring Patrick, Oblina, and Nigel felt like it was more focused on Patrick than the other two, and then Zim and Danny barely got any real showcase as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Someone on the Subreddit suggested Sakurai Presents style videos, with some in-depth gameplay footage, but with Patchy the Pirate as the host.

Lemme tell ya, I'd kill for Patchy Presents to be real.
Yeah, though seeing as VAs aren't in until further notice, I'm not sure if they'd even get Tom Kenny for this.

How does one make the demand for this?

Top Bottom