• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Seeing as the first boxart used game models and the second boxart uses an art style that matches prior games like Super Brawl Universe and NickBrawl 1, I’d say the first one was just like, a mock-up. Like maybe they made a couple of different mock-ups using in game models and then once they got what they wanted finalized they do it in the proper art style

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Did this because people were filling out this template again on NASBcord

Mains and secondaries are based on the few times I ever play NASB, only Norb is in most wanted to indicate I want the beavers separated.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Seeing as the first boxart used game models and the second boxart uses an art style that matches prior games like Super Brawl Universe and NickBrawl 1, I’d say the first one was just like, a mock-up. Like maybe they made a couple of different mock-ups using in game models and then once they got what they wanted finalized they do it in the proper art style
I hope not. The first boxart we saw is so much cooler IMO.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This might be a huge stretch but if you look very closely at Korra arms you can see
Two black pointy ears Imgur: The magic of the Internet This could possibly be Mr. Blik from Catscratch.
I genuinely don't know how people can think that legal issues and ownership rights would keep out Timmy, who seemingly has international rights issues, but then not raise an eyebrow at the thought of getting Catscratch characters when Nick doesn't even own the property.

It's based on a series of comics from T*nNapel. He still owns the rights, and it's telling that Catscratch never got its own standalone home media release, only having one or two episodes on compilation Nicktoons ones, and even then not in a very long time. Mr. Blik is, in effect, only slightly more likely than Po or King Julien, and only because he's not owned by a literal direct competitor.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Guys, I think I figured it out.

View attachment 375051

The shape and position of the yellow part behind Jenny, the boxy shape at the top, there supposedly being something in front of the character…

View attachment 375052
Okay I genuinely think this is it. Like almost certainly. You can even make out the shape of where the helmet and board would be and the shirt color matches.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I do still think the character on the top left could be Tommy - he's the only Nicktoon I can think of who doesn't have giant hair or some headpiece while also having a matching head-to-body distribution. Otto seems convincing too, and he sounds like a really fun pick even if I like Reggie's character design better. No clue on the right end triangle, the top villain(?), or whatever is below "Otis" though.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Guys, I think I figured it out.

View attachment 375051

The shape and position of the yellow part behind Jenny, the boxy shape at the top, there supposedly being something in front of the character…

View attachment 375052
I think you got it (last one done by a Discord user)
IMG_8958.jpeg
IMG_8959.jpeg
radical.png

Certainly wouldn’t be the first time they got boxart treatment either

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I find it weird that Otto is the one they choose to rep Rocket Power even though Reggie is more popular and more requested in the fanbase. So, I'm believing that if this indeed Otto then this game will follow the "protagonist first" rule more closely than the first game, and Tommy, Arnold, and Eliza will all be newcomers as well.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
I find it weird that Otto is the one they choose to rep Rocket Power even though Reggie is more popular and more requested in the fanbase. So, I'm believing that if this indeed Otto then this game will follow the "protagonist first" rule more closely than the first game, and Tommy, Arnold, and Eliza will all be newcomers as well.
Its more likely the team just liked Oto and his moveset potential more. The preference for Reggie seems to be a more recent online thing, but casual fans are more likely to know Oto

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Its more likely the team just liked Oto and his moveset potential more. The preference for Reggie seems to be a more recent online thing, but casual fans are more likely to know Oto
Not to mention that the initial pitch poster had Reggie on it, not Otto. Besides, they'll play the exact same anyways.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Just because we get one protagonist doesn't mean that we'll get every protagonist. Besides, Otto is still very popular, the differene between him and Reggie is far from Eliza and Nigel for example. ALso you keep telling in the past that we will never get Angelica but now you think we'll get Tommy, a 1 year old? Come on.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
ALso you keep telling in the past that we will never get Angelica but now you think we'll get Tommy, a 1 year old? Come on.
Keep in mind Riley is very inconsistent with whether or not he believes they'd add the Rugrats babies in a fighting game.

Not to play devil's advocate, but some of the side character invites have merit to be the first beyond meme potential.
  • The first pitch Klasky-Csupo made for The Wild Thornberrys focused on Nigel, not Eliza.
  • Helga is the center of Hey Arnold's most heart-wrenching moments.
  • We got a minimum two of the TMNT in the first game, so it's grammatically accurate by calling them Ninja Turtles in the plural sense.
  • Oblina is but one of three protagonists for Aaahh!!! Real Monsters.
  • At least Hugh is related to Jimmy, so his case is technically reverse nepotism.
  • Reptar has taken on a life of his own since 2004, when the original Rugrats show ended its run.
  • To say nothing of the obvious reasons, like the titular Rugrats being too young to fight, Arnold being more of a pacifist, Hugh being a bonafide meme pick, etc.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Reptar has taken on a life of his own since 2004, when the original Rugrats show ended its run.
finally

someone realizes there is more merit to Reptar than "but wouldn't it be horrifying if SpongeBob blew a bubble in Tommy's face?"

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Helga, Nigel, and Oblina are not “side characters”. I’m actually getting sick of people saying they are. Oblina is part of an equal ensemble. Nigel is technically as much of a titular character as Eliza, and quite frankly, I’d classify Helga as the protagonist of Hey Arnold, since after a point the show basically became hers.

darkvortex

Smash Champion
Oto and Reggie would probably be pretty similar in terms of their base moveset so it makes sense they'd go with the more iconic \ main character

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Not to play devil's advocate, but some of the side character invites have merit to be the first beyond meme potential.
  • The first pitch Klasky-Csupo made for The Wild Thornberrys focused on Nigel, not Eliza.
  • Helga is the center of Hey Arnold's most heart-wrenching moments.
  • We got a minimum two of the TMNT in the first game, so it's grammatically accurate by calling them Ninja Turtles in the plural sense.
  • Oblina is but one of three protagonists for Aaahh!!! Real Monsters.
  • At least Hugh is related to Jimmy, so his case is technically reverse nepotism.
  • Reptar has taken on a life of his own since 2004, when the original Rugrats show ended its run.
  • To say nothing of the obvious reasons, like the titular Rugrats being too young to fight, Arnold being more of a pacifist, Hugh being a bonafide meme pick, etc.
The only one that I disagree is Hugh, because sure he was a huge request, but so was Jimmy, and Jimmy's moveset potential was huge.

Helga, Nigel, and Oblina are not “side characters”. I’m actually getting sick of people saying they are. Oblina is part of an equal ensemble. Nigel is technically as much of a titular character as Eliza, and quite frankly, I’d classify Helga as the protagonist of Hey Arnold, since after a point the show basically became hers.
Iirc Oblina was part of an equal ensemble early on but in later season she actually was the main character, having much bigger roles than Ickis and Krumm and most episodes focus on her plans instead of Ickis.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I still don't get why Hugh is considered such an out-there pick. Unexpected? Absolutely. A minor character? sure, to an extent. But ultimately, he's considered the funniest character in a comedy. I'd say it's less "representing Kirby with Whispy Woods" and more "representing Star Wars with Boba Fett".

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I still don't get why Hugh is considered such an out-there pick. Unexpected? Absolutely. A minor character? sure, to an extent. But ultimately, he's considered the funniest character in a comedy. I'd say it's less "representing Kirby with Whispy Woods" and more "representing Star Wars with Boba Fett".
When Hugh first was revealed, people were acting like he was an obscure bit character.

He has at least three focus episodes all to himself, along with several more where he's the focus of a B-plot. Hugh isn't a minor character by any means. He's not a "main" character, but he's not some one off meme pick like Biggie Cheese.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Its because he's far down the totem pole of characters who reasonably fit into a fighting game and far down the list of characters who would be both expected and wanted. If Disney made a platform fighter, said, we're gonna rep Star Wars, and then picked Boba Fett (or a more apt example, Jar Jar) as the first and only rep on the roster before Darth Vader, Yoda, Luke, Obi-Wan, etc. Then yes people are going to be confused and angry.

Yes, Hugh got a huge push for inclusion but it was as a meme. No one in their right mind actually expected it to happen, nor are there many if any who would want the character before or over Jimmy, a character with literally limitless potential.

And I think the lineup of leaked characters speaks to the backlash they got for prioritizing secondary, meme, or unexpected characters, as not only are they all highly requested, they're filling in a lot of the "missing" and expected characters, which imo is nothing but a good thing.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Reggie herself is really only brought up because of people wanting more female reps (rather than because they love Reggie herself). Reggie (along with Rocket Power as a whole) doesn't really have much of a fanbase. That said, as someone who saw a LOT of Rocket Power back in the day, Otto makes the most sense, since he was usually the face of the show, along with being the one who's always in the spotlight in-universe and often has cameras on him. To the point where, when Reggie got the cameras and spotlight for an episode, Otto was extremely jealous.

Now, if I were picking the roster, I'd have both Rocket kids as echoes of each other since I love them both, but if I were picking just one I think Otto would make the most sense

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
(or a more apt example, Jar Jar)
How the hell is Hugh comparable to Jar Jar? Jar Jar is an absurd comedic character in a cool action movie, Boba is a cool action character in a cool action movie, Hugh is a absurd comedic character in an absurdist comedy.
Then yes people are going to be confused and angry.
That's an inherently bad thing because...???? Like, I can understand if this was Smash where the whole identity is "making dreams come true", but that identity is something NASB needs to avoid like the plague (not inherently granting fan requests mind you, that's fine, just that becoming its identity is dangerous). Ultimately, one's own opinion is all that should really matter, not that of the majority.
Yes, Hugh got a huge push for inclusion but it was as a meme. No one in their right mind actually expected it to happen, nor are there many if any who would want the character before or over Jimmy, a character with literally limitless potential.
Again, how is wanting a character for the meme less valid than wanting them because they're cool or cute or scary?

Also, the only people I've ever seen criticise NASB for lacking protags alone, and not any specific choices like Hugh, are you and the Honest Trailers guy.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Its because he's far down the totem pole of characters who reasonably fit into a fighting game
I find this odd to say when this game already has Spongebob Squarepants, Nigel Thornberry and Powdered Toast Man in it.
Having characters that you'd never expect to be in a fighting game is the whole appeal of this game.

I feel like the Hugh support was genuine because of this. No one expected him before Jimmy, but it's not like no one wanted him at all and they only put him in to piss off Jimmy fans.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
How the hell is Hugh comparable to Jar Jar? Jar Jar is an absurd comedic character in a cool action movie, Boba is a cool action character in a cool action movie, Hugh is a absurd comedic character in an absurdist comedy.
I would still argue that Hugh is a bad representation of the franchise. Sure, he's the funny guy in a funny show, but that's pretty much it. The point of the show is that stuff happens because of Jimmy's inventions, and Hugh moveset have no inventions. At least with Nigel, he still represent the main part of the show which is animals. Hugh doesn't even do that.

That's an inherently bad thing because...???? Like, I can understand if this was Smash where the whole identity is "making dreams come true", but that identity is something NASB needs to avoid like the plague (not inherently granting fan requests mind you, that's fine, just that becoming its identity is dangerous). Ultimately, one's own opinion is all that should really matter, not that of the majority.
But the whole point of Hugh is that he was chosen because of request. That's literally the only reason why he's here. If they really wanted to avoid request like the plague like you want, they should have go with Sheen.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I feel like the Hugh support was genuine because of this. No one expected him before Jimmy, but it's not like no one wanted him at all and they only put him in to piss off Jimmy fans.
My personal theory is that Nick both approved DLC and ordered a sequel around the same time. When Ludocity was deciding the characters, they probably weren't sure how to handle the Jimmy situation. Two of the three DLC slots being Jimmy Neutron would be seen as unreasonable, and they weren't sure who to pick. So they probably got Hugh in there as DLC as a thank you to the community, and to get him in while Nick still approved of the choice, while saving Jimmy for the sequel. Nick will always approve of Jimmy, but if Hugh's assets are already made and easy to port, Nick might have less of an argument against him if they changed their minds in later entries (more content already made, which is a selling point. Nick won't say no to money!).

Still, this is all just speculation.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
But the whole point of Hugh is that he was chosen because of request. That's literally the only reason why he's here. If they really wanted to avoid request like the plague like you want, they should have go with Sheen.
That is absolutely true, I was moreso responding to the intent of Gryff's statement than the actual facts - yes, the facts are that Hugh was wanted and was added because of this, making him an example of appealing to fan demand, but Gryff's statement (unless I'm misinterpreting something) is that fan demand inherently = good, unexpected inherently = bad, and ignoring fan demand inherently = bad. That's moreso what I take issue with, the absolutist approach to appealing to fans, (which also doesn't line up with what Gryff is saying about Hugh, in fact Hugh is really irrelevant to this whole debate all things considered) not appealing to fans alone. I don't think appealing to fan demand is bad, in fact I think it can be VERY good - as with Hugh - I think that it's bad in too high a dosage, when it becomes a franchise's identity, and restricts more wild or overlooked choices from making the cut - ESPECIALLY in crossovers. Just look at Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Again, how is wanting a character for the meme less valid than wanting them because they're cool or cute or scary?

Also, the only people I've ever seen criticise NASB for lacking protags alone, and not any specific choices like Hugh, are you and the Honest Trailers guy.
Firstly, not really relevant to the conversation, but I genuinely don't understand why people like Boba Fett when he is a slave trader, which is an objectively evil thing. The comparison to Jar Jar is that he's a comedic character and has roughly the same relevance to Hughs relationship in Jimmy Neutron, because he has more of a role than Boba does in the movie. I'm saying you were downplaying Hughs role a bit.

Second, you're free to want whoever you want but you literally cannot argue that if you want to sell something you need to market it, and for platform fighters dealing in pre-existing IP that means characters people recognize. As funny as Hugh is, when people mention Jimmy Neutron, they're more likely to recognize Jimmy, Carl, Sheen, and Cindy than Hugh. That's just an objective fact because they are the main characters. Weird picks aren't an inherently bad thing, but they should be sprinkled in as a rare thing while focusing on pleasing the largest demographic possible, which leads to sales, which leads to a more active community, and happy executives who are more likely to greenlight more content and sequels. I don't think you grasp how lucky we are to be even getting a sequel.

And though it should be obvious, pissing off your core demographic is always a bad idea. Making people confused and angry is never a good thing when you're trying to sell something, despite what trolls online will tell you.

And look, I get that you want the game you like to stay niche, but that is a self sabotaging move in a market that's so competitive. Like I said we are stupid lucky to be even getting a sequel, so avoiding the pitfall the first game did (trying to appeal to a small niche audience) is an important step in the right direction for getting more content, future sequels, and for getting those hardworking devs more work. You feel me?

Third, and I hesitate to bring this up as I don't like being associated with the website because it's awful, but clearly you didn't read posts about the game on reddit. Lots of people complain about the roster there. Same can be said in YouTube comments and other gaming websites. There's more people interested in the game than just people on this website. Hell, I know several people who actively chose to not buy the game because the roster didn't have enough of their favorite characters on it and have said that it seems "too focused on being weird and unexpected" than actually being a "Nickelodeon All-Star" game. No matter what the devs say about not taking the name seriously, the fact is it's called what it is and that name carries expectations of what is going to be in it.

I find this odd to say when this game already has Spongebob Squarepants, Nigel Thornberry and Powdered Toast Man in it.
Having characters that you'd never expect to be in a fighting game is the whole appeal of this game.
In regards to Nigel, point taken, but there's plenty of material for both of the others that can make them work in a fighting game.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Second, you're free to want whoever you want but you literally cannot argue that if you want to sell something you need to market it, and for platform fighters dealing in pre-existing IP that means characters people recognize. As funny as Hugh is, when people mention Jimmy Neutron, they're more likely to recognize Jimmy, Carl, Sheen, and Cindy than Hugh. That's just an objective fact because they are the main characters. Weird picks aren't an inherently bad thing, but they should be sprinkled in as a rare thing while focusing on pleasing the largest demographic possible, which leads to sales, which leads to a more active community, and happy executives who are more likely to greenlight more content and sequels. I don't think you grasp how lucky we are to be even getting a sequel.
Didn't NASB sell like absolute hot cakes? All things considered, even Jimmy and Timmy, if they were in, would be unrecognisable to the core Nick demographic who make up most of the sales, at least outside of kids who either got SUPER into Nick and started looking up show histories or played the kart games, as are 80% of the roster, yet the game still sold. Even the long-runner FOP (or at least Timmy) has been off the air for half a decade.

And though it should be obvious, pissing off your core demographic is always a bad idea. Making people confused and angry is never a good thing when you're trying to sell something, despite what trolls online will tell you.
I never said NASB was trying to piss people off, nor that they should - just that it's not a side-effect to be particularly feared unless you've made fan demand your identity. Plus, as I said, this game's real core demo - the 6 to 11s - probably doesn't know Jimmy any more than they know Hugh.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
All things considered, even Jimmy and Timmy, if they were in, would be unrecognisable to the core Nick demographic,
FOP still airs all the time on Nick's pluto.tv channel. Also, I thought access to various 90's cartoons on streaming services meant kids were walking cartoon encyclopedias anyway?

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I thought access to various 90's cartoons on Paramount Plus meant kids were walking cartoon encyclopedias anyway?
The post where I said that was multiple months ago. I can't even respond to that because I can't even remember the original context, let alone know if I still agree with what I said. Can you stop digging up random old comments?

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Here in my country (Peru), Pluto.tv airs content from Nelvana.
Ironically, the earlier seasons of FOP (owned by nelvana) aren't there (the newer ones air on the channel themed around the show)

Top Bottom