• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The post where I said that was multiple months ago. I can't even respond to that because I can't even remember the original context, let alone know if I still agree with what I said. Can you stop digging up old BS??
If you stop contradicting yourself.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
In regards to Nigel, point taken, but there's plenty of material for both of the others that can make them work in a fighting game.
True, but if someone seriously suggested Powdered Toast Man for a fighting game before NASB, you'd think they were insane.

That's what I like about this game and about early Smash, taking characters unfit for fighting games and making them fit.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Do you think opinions are set in stone and never flinch??? It's not hypocrisy, it's just reflection. Yes, I do think kids are more likely to know Jimmy now than 2000s kids were to know Rocko, but of course that doesn't mean every core-demo Nickelodeon fan is a retro nerd as opposed to just watching whatever's on the channel, or even most of them.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Didn't NASB sell like absolute hot cakes? All things considered, even Jimmy and Timmy, if they were in, would be unrecognisable to the core Nick demographic who make up most of the sales, at least outside of kids who either got SUPER into Nick and started looking up show histories or played the kart games, as are 80% of the roster, yet the game still sold. Even the long-runner FOP (or at least Timmy) has been off the air for half a decade.

I never said NASB was trying to piss people off, nor that they should - just that it's not a side-effect to be particularly feared unless you've made fan demand your identity. Plus, as I said, this game's real core demo - the 6 to 11s - probably doesn't know Jimmy any more than they know Hugh.
Sorry to tell you this man but while the game is and does need to be marketed to kids, and that's what Nickelodeon probably thinks is happening, the devs are clearly building the game for the Melee crowd, as that's the only community who talks about it. It just so happens a lot of those people also grew up with 90s and 2000s Nickelodeon. That's why the roster is filled with characters from those shows - but in the same vein, those people (me, I'm that age) are far more likely to pick Jimmy or Danny out of a crowd than Hugh or Technus.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting to make fans happy, I don't understand where you vitriol towards "let's please the fans' requests as much as possible" comes from. You're scared of a Boogeyman that doesn't exist, man.

That is absolutely true, I was moreso responding to the intent of Gryff's statement than the actual facts - yes, the facts are that Hugh was wanted and was added because of this, making him an example of appealing to fan demand, but Gryff's statement (unless I'm misinterpreting something) is that fan demand inherently = good, unexpected inherently = bad, and ignoring fan demand inherently = bad. That's moreso what I take issue with, the absolutist approach to appealing to fans, (which also doesn't line up with what Gryff is saying about Hugh, in fact Hugh is really irrelevant to this whole debate all things considered) not appealing to fans alone. I don't think appealing to fan demand is bad, in fact I think it can be VERY good - as with Hugh - I think that it's bad in too high a dosage, when it becomes a franchise's identity, and restricts more wild or overlooked choices from making the cut - ESPECIALLY in crossovers. Just look at Smash Ultimate.
Mate, go back and read the first part of my post. I never said unexpected or weird picks are bad, just that they should be doled out in moderation and you should prioritize the characters people actually want to see. Ideally, you can take an approach of one to three weird picks on a fighting game roster without really rocking any boats, but when multiple big important characters start being skipped over in favor of the weird ones, that's the problem. Imagine having Street Fighter with Sakura but no Ken or Chun-Li. Or having Mortal Kombat prioritize Baraka over Johnny and Raiden.

Please fans makes people happy leading to more sales which means more content, potential sequels, and more work for the dev team. Everyone wins there.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Lively forum today! Anyways I wanna go over this part of the leak again cause I have an alternate theory after some deliberation in the Discord

IMG_8899.jpeg

seems we’ve been on the Otto train now but I think it’s also possible that this is Squidward. He was on the first boxart so it’s safe to assume he’d be here too, the color isn’t completely off but at the same time NASB is known for getting little details wrong, including color (heck Jenny’s leg in this very screenshot is colored wrong), he’d be on the opposite side of Patrick as well on the boxart and to really cement my new theory, let’s take another look at the Squidward leak and the color of his shirt:

IMG_8925.jpeg

I’m not saying it’s definitely him, but it seems like a very likely alternative that I felt like was worth entertaining

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If you'd like, I can link you those movesets I drew to use in the video, so long as I get a credit back.
Hey uh can I have them because I just shared this post with NASBcord and they're not listening

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In general I also subscribe to the theory that by the time they knew they would have a DLC season, they also knew they'd have a sequel, and picked Hugh over Jimmy at least in part based on that. Save Jimmy for the sequel while adding the offbeat fan favorite while saving the safer fan favorite as a new game headliner.

I get being upset by that. Hell, personally I'd have preferred Jimmy, even though I think Hugh is a great choice. But saying Hugh is a no-name in comparison who you couldn't pick from a crowd is incredibly off base. I'd honestly say Jimmy Neutron is one of the Nicktoons properties with one of the largest casts of popular characters, with only SpongeBob maybe being definitively ahead of it, and being at roughly the same level as Fairly OddParents.

Jimmy, Goddard, Carl, Sheen, Cindy, Libby, Hugh, Judy, Ms. Fowl, Bolbi, Butch, Brobot, Professor Calamitous, Sam, Nick, the Jimmy Clones, Jet Fusion, Beautiful Gorgeous, the Nanobots, King Goobot and the Yolkians, and even Principal Willoughby are all pretty damn well remembered. Hell, even one-off characters like Skeet and the Willie Loman 3000 have lived on through internet pop culture and memes.

So like, genuinely, even a character who's fifth or sixth in the objective pecking order of their franchise isn't in a bad place when that franchise is something like Jimmy Neutron. It's a show with a lot of popular, memorable characters.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Kinda tempted to make a duo SpongeBob & Patrick moveset as a joke. I don't have that much stakes in solo Beavers (though Lime has absolutely sold me on seperate beavers as preferable) but I find the whole duo vs. solo thing humorous in a weird way.

Funny how I used to be the one advocating for solo Ren and solo Stimpy, but now I'm the one who likes their moveset best and is most pleased with it.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Funny how I used to be the one advocating for solo Ren and solo Stimpy, but now I'm the one who likes their moveset best and is most pleased with it.
I don't think their moveset itself is bad, but they're animated very poorly even for the game standard and that's saying something. They should be animating like Rocko with more slower moves to give the time to really focus on their crazy facial expressions.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I should mention, since this is a common misconception, the DLC characters aren't slower than the base game characters - if they were, they'd be the worst characters in the game - they're just animated with better visual clarity. The main problem with NASB's animations is the pose silhouettes, small size of props, and limited squash & stretch on limbs, not how fast the animation is

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I don't think their moveset itself is bad, but they're animated very poorly even for the game standard and that's saying something. They should be animating like Rocko with more slower moves to give the time to really focus on their crazy facial expressions.
Maybe the sequel can fix that, although if there's one thing I want them to fix for ren and stimpy it's their voices.

Billy wests voice of ren sounds like he's out of sync or is reaching his age, meanwhile stimpy doesn't have a lot of excitement lines but his voice sounds fine I want to hear more of that happy, happy, joy, joy flare that he has on the show.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Maybe the sequel can fix that, although if there's one thing I want them to fix for ren and stimpy it's their voices.

Billy wests voice of ren sounds like he's out of sync or is reaching his age, meanwhile stimpy doesn't have a lot of excitement lines but his voice sounds fine I want to hear more of that happy, happy, joy, joy flare that he has on the show.
Really? I think he actually did much better Ren in the game than in later season of the shows, and also them sounding a bit older actually fits them really well. And I mean, who else would even voiced them? Billy West is like one of the greatest voice actors ever, replacing him would be super hard.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Well, he is getting up there in years. The new episode of Futurama can tell you that. Fry definitely sounds different, like it's hard for him to do the voice anymore.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Because some of us want to be able to play this game with other people without wanting to rely on 3AM matchmaking pings.

How many times do I have to say this.
Yes, because clearly Hugh is the reason this game is dead. Really think about what you're responding to here.
Last year, Joe Biden said he was 79 years old. This year, he says he's 80. Which one is it, Mr. President??

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yes, because clearly Hugh is the reason this game is dead. Really think about what you're responding to here.
What I'm responding to is "why is it a bad thing to confuse/anger people"? If anything, why is that even a question?
Last year, Joe Biden said he was 79 years old. This year, he says he's 80. Which one is it, Mr. President??
Dude, WWW does have contradictory statements. He's not a sacred cow just because you agree with SOME of the things he says.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
What I'm responding to is "why is it a bad thing to confuse/anger people"? If anything, why is that even a question?
Okay? That doesn't really change what I said. The game's playerbase wouldn't be bursting if Jimmy were DLC instead of Hugh (which is who the people you were responding to were talking about). Those who weren't into the game and didn't care for his inclusion were already lost by the base game and one pick wouldn't have been enough to bring them back, at least not enough to make a meaningful dent in the game's playercount.
Dude, WWW does have contradictory statements. He's not a sacred cow just because you agree with SOME of the things he says.
This is the definition of a bad faith argument, as is digging up months-old sentiments completely devoid of context just to rub it in as if the person who made them still stands by them. I do not uphold WWW as a "sacred cow" just because I agree with him at times; you're making stuff up for the sake of convenient and glorified mudslinging again.
Regardless, the joke is that things can change even over a relatively short span of time, opinions most of all. If you go your whole entire life without changing your mind just so strangers on the internet don't dunk on you, that doesn't make you smart; it just makes you stubborn.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Diglett has absolutely disagreed with me before. I know we have very different stances on Nintendo-based third party Smash picks like Banjo and Geno for example. (not that that's something we should discuss, just bringing it up as an example) We're not friends or conspirators and don't have some secret scheme to promote wavedashing and meme dads with intentional provocative contrarianism, it's just a case of a lot of our opinions aligning and nothing else.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Can’t give more info yet and I’m gonna ask that y’all please be civil, but Tigre leak is 100% fake, proof will probably be more widespread tomorrow
i had that feeling the El Tigre leak was too convincing, it's pretty much worrying a little too.

Really? I think he actually did much better Ren in the game than in later season of the shows, and also them sounding a bit older actually fits them really well. And I mean, who else would even voiced them? Billy West is like one of the greatest voice actors ever, replacing him would be super hard.
Brock Baker, Man of a trillion voices

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I'm questioning if NASB2 is even coming this year anymore.
for the record no other leak has had anything come up against them, at all, NASB 2 is probably very much still real and I'm sure Tigre will still make it in. Just that specific leak is now fake

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, no, it's not fake until the proof is provided, which won't be until tomorrow for...some reason.

Some really annoying reason, surely.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Can’t give more info yet and I’m gonna ask that y’all please be civil, but Tigre leak is 100% fake, proof will probably be more widespread tomorrow
for the record no other leak has had anything come up against them, at all, NASB 2 is probably very much still real and I'm sure Tigre will still make it in. Just that specific leak is now fake
But Rep reacted to it on twitter as if it was real. Isn't that what set off him making fake hints for other characters?

darkvortex

Smash Champion
I'm in the server but don't post

A known user posted the same leak in higher quality from a different angle and says it was an art test that was never meant to go viral. However they deleted it extremely quickly

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
1690249627217.png

From a server user: " I commisioned it, it was supposed to be a normal commision and I posted it on a server, someone took it and pretended it to be a leak, so I didn't said anything to not get the artist in trouble, I told the staff tho so they knew already"

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Well, that sucks.

Kind of hard to imagine they wouldn't put him in anyway, doesn't seem to be anything stopping them and the creator already seems to be aware that he's in even before the fake leak.

Though now I'm curious if any of the leaks of the Spongebob characters and Danny were real or not.

Top Bottom