• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly, you'd rather them make **** up than actual be faithful to their character? So then what's the point of having the character there at all if they're not going to be in character? Might as well be an OC.
This is exactly why I prefer games with original rosters to crossover events, for the record, but that's just my opinion.
Nobody but the biggest sweatiest tryhards play character for function. They play characters either because they like the character or because they are fun to play.
Don't really see how these are different, honestly? If I'm playing a character because their kit [function] gels with my playstyle the best, at that point, am I not playing who I find most fun? (And I'm far from a sweaty tryhard, I stay the hell away from ranked or competitive in any game I play.)
What was the number on criticism of MvCI? People loved the gameplay but everyone said "Where are the X-Men?"
Did they? Everyone I've ever heard talk about MvCI hates it for how watered down it all is (which applies to the roster choices, of course, but they're also talking about the gameplay more often than not).
This is the exact reason why Rivals and Slap City are as niche as they are, because they don't have the star power. Why should I play that when I can play the game where Steve can fight Kazuya Mishima, Pikachu, and Link?
Because those games are more fun (when I can find a decent match in them) and I've seen those other characters a million times already. Pure wacky matchups don't carry a game for me; solid mechanics and cohesive toolkits do.
Hell, he's not even the character I would consider to be the most fun to play, but he's my main anyway because of the roster, his only rival in my heart as a potential favorite character is Joker, K. Rool, and maybe Link.
Personally, I can't imagine settling for a character I find less fun because I like the game he's from. By that logic, Shulk would probably be my main in Smash, but I can't stand playing the guy. Playstyle is king for me, and if that makes me one of the weird ones, good.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Did they? Everyone I've ever heard talk about MvCI hates it for how watered down it all is (which applies to the roster choices, of course, but they're also talking about the gameplay more often than not).
a competitive scene did pop up as there actually where fans of the gameplay, but everything else around it killed the game. It definitely wasn't a huge thing nor was it loved in the way the previous games where, but it did have its fans. Saying people "loved" it is excessive though

Last edited by a moderator:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
This is exactly why I prefer games with original rosters to crossover events, for the record, but that's just my opinion.

Don't really see how these are different, honestly? If I'm playing a character because their kit [function] gels with my playstyle the best, at that point, am I not playing who I find most fun? (And I'm far from a sweaty tryhard, I stay the hell away from ranked or competitive in any game I play.)

Because those games are more fun (when I can find a decent match in them) and I've seen those other characters a million times already. Pure wacky matchups don't carry a game for me; solid mechanics and cohesive toolkits do.

Personally, I can't imagine settling for a character I find less fun because I like the game he's from. By that logic, Shulk would probably be my main in Smash, but I can't stand playing the guy. Playstyle is king for me, and if that makes me one of the weird ones, good.
That's fine but sitting here pretending that you aren't playing the game because it's a crossover of a bunch of iconic characters and game worlds is a load of bs and you know it.

If I just picked a character based on playability then my mains would be Ryu and Ken in SF6. But no, I main Juri and Jamie because they're cool characters. I want to learn them, because I like the characters. I could've gotten farther in the tournament I played recently if I just played the shotos, but I wouldn't have been having fun.

As for Wario3, just because you don't like playing against them doesn't mean they aren't worthy of being there. You are free to be weird, but I'm always going to call you out on your bull**** when you try and pretend you aren't the odd one out. Not every game has to cater to your niche, and not everyone is like you.

There's nothing wrong with preferring a character based on playstyle but being shocked when people come to the Nickelodeon game for the Nickelodeon characters is beyond ridiculous. Same with Smash, MvC, Multiversus, Fraymakers, etc.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Something I forgot about was Rep stating in the past that he does NOT like Unity (the game engine NASB is made on)

Keeping that in mind, any chance NASB 2 ends up being made on a different engine?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
That's fine but sitting here pretending that you aren't playing the game because it's a crossover of a bunch of iconic characters and game worlds is a load of bs and you know it.

[...]

There's nothing wrong with preferring a character based on playstyle but being shocked when people come to the Nickelodeon game for the Nickelodeon characters is beyond ridiculous. Same with Smash, MvC, Multiversus, Fraymakers, etc.
I can agree on that. I know the main draw of NASB for me was that Powdered Toast Man, of all people, was in it. (Even then, that was just the hook; the gameplay showcase was what sold me on it.) That said, I do agree to an extent with Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 's sentiment that playing a game solely because of the roster and not because you like playing it is weird. Even if it's a crossover, there's gotta be some sort of balance there, y'know?

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Something I forgot about was Rep stating in the past that he does NOT like Unity (the game engine NASB is made on)

Keeping that in mind, any chance NASB 2 ends up being made on a different engine?
It’s definitely possible, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still made in Unity to save time by reusing code from NASB1, given their tight deadlines.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I can agree on that. I know the main draw of NASB for me was that Powdered Toast Man, of all people, was in it. (Even then, that was just the hook; the gameplay showcase was what sold me on it.) That said, I do agree to an extent with Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario 's sentiment that playing a game solely because of the roster and not because you like playing it is weird. Even if it's a crossover, there's gotta be some sort of balance there, y'know?
You can enjoy the game but still be pulled into the game by the roster or concept. For me I definitely don't play it for it's non-existant online or competitive. I play it because it's Smash with Nickelodeon characters, and I guarantee you that the hefty majority of people who play it are just that - the competitive scene are just the only people who try to make content on it. I don't bust the game out to flex on people - frankly, in some spaces I'm embarrassed to even own it due to its reputation.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yeah, there is for me. I like Melee's gameplay but didn't care to try Rivals until I could play as someone who wasn't a furry OC, and I probably wouldn't care about this game had it not been for Nigel, Oblina, and comments Rep made about its gameplay.

They should probably stick to Unity if they're trying to make "what NASB should've been" in the course of two years.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Ok I think I’ve settled on a roster prediction for the time being

Ok so I think every character will be returning, so that makes 25 characters

Raph, Vlad, Jimmy and Squidward already leaked, so that’s 29

They’re not doing 3/4 turtles so DONNIE seems like a very safe bet and El Tigre’s creator may have already spoiled his inclusion, so that’s 31 (and even if he didn’t El Tigre is the next most popular request besides Timmy so he feels inevitable anyways)

So that leaves the rest:

If we get a roster of 32 characters, I predict the last slot would go to Otis. He’s an out there pick from a not repped IP, very meme-y and is a super popular request as well (got 8th place in the last big poll, only placing below Timmy, El Tigre,Angry Beavers and Zuko)

If we get 33, then I say Angry Beavers make the cut as well as a Zelda/Sheik-esque swap character (plus I think it’d be funny if their tag in/out mechanic was then slapping tails)

For the record I’d say Otis and Angry Beavers are pretty interchangeable here so if you wanna say Angry Beavers is #32 and Otis is #33 that works too

If we get 34, I envision it’ll be one of two characters

Mr. Krabs is a stupidly popular request and a super popular character. Don’t think I need to elaborate why I think he’d get priority.

Luna Loud is definitely the most desired Loud House character next, is generally popular even within the LH fandom, was already in Super Brawl Universe and Loud House is really popular and big for Nickelodeon atm, no way we get a sequel and they don’t request another Loud House character.

And if we get 35 characters, then just add whoever wasn’t added in the last slot out of these two

That leaves Zuko as the odd character out and here is my reasoning why I don’t think he’ll be base roster:

He was DLC in Kart Racers 3 and is an insanely popular character across all animation fandoms not just Nick and Avatar, and besides Timmy and Crimson Chin, he’d be the most popular request yet to get in.

All this to say I could see those 3 being a trio of DLC characters that Nickelodeon would trust to sell super well. Maybe not the most agreeable logic but that’s what I’m sticking with

This is the roster prediction I’m gonna stick to until we get any more information or an official reveal (fr this time, not like before where I’d change my predictions after like a couple days lol)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
annoying movesets are fine if they're faithful
Welcome to fighting games dude

Every fighting game has a character you will hate fighting against and you will say is bull****.

Also no one in Ultimate is that annoying it's actually surprisingly well balanced for what it is, outside of Steve, and even then, I've never cared that much about competitive, nor have I ever fought a Steve who abused the tech. Honestly I would say I've had a harder time with Kazuya. And even then I can still beat a Kazuya player. It's really not that serious. Maybe just don't take games that seriously...

that perfectly fine movesets need the scrap just because they're not faithful or up-to-date
This is where I disagree. Korra, Aang, and Danny do not feel like themselves in this game, especially the latter two. Their movesets are bad and widely criticized for a reason. They aren't using their iconic abilities they're known for. If their kits are borderline out of character then they need a rework. There's multiple ways to improve upon their movesets and make them more unique and fun rather than sharing similarities with other characters.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
This is where I disagree. Korra, Aang, and Danny do not feel like themselves in this game, especially the latter two. Their movesets are bad and widely criticized for a reason. They aren't using their iconic abilities they're known for. If their kits are borderline out of character then they need a rework. There's multiple ways to improve upon their movesets and make them more unique and fun rather than sharing similarities with other characters.
I don't get Korra being here, isn't she a bruiser that uses all the bending styles?

I don't get Korra being here, isn't she a bruiser that uses all the bending styles?
Korra, like Aang, is a bender that does no bending in NASB. She just has generic kicks/arm strikes with the occasional fire effect lazily slapped on it, that's not how she fights in the show, she's way flashier than this. It'd be so easy to make her moveset interesting and noteworthy, at the very least her strongs should have her bend with these elements.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Korra is arrogant and flashy for the majority of the series. Her animations should reflect her cocky nature. Not to mention the fact water and fire, her signature elements, are barely used in her kit in a meaningful way.
What I don't get is that the element most prominent in Korra's moveset is Earthbending.... when we already have a character who's exclusively an Earthbender.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It will come back, at the very least MVS will launch again and that'll be a big event. NASB 2 would benefit greatly from NOT releasing in that time period lmao. Let it come out in 2023 and it'll have months to stabilize properly without competition.
2023 would be a very bad time to release this game. Not only is there another Nick game to take attention from it, it will also have to compete against freaking Mario in the family gaming department.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Ok I think I’ve settled on a roster prediction for the time being

Ok so I think every character will be returning, so that makes 25 characters

Raph, Vlad, Jimmy and Squidward already leaked, so that’s 29

They’re not doing 3/4 turtles so DONNIE seems like a very safe bet and El Tigre’s creator may have already spoiled his inclusion, so that’s 31 (and even if he didn’t El Tigre is the next most popular request besides Timmy so he feels inevitable anyways)

So that leaves the rest:

If we get a roster of 32 characters, I predict the last slot would go to Otis. He’s an out there pick from a not repped IP, very meme-y and is a super popular request as well (got 8th place in the last big poll, only placing below Timmy, El Tigre,Angry Beavers and Zuko)

If we get 33, then I say Angry Beavers make the cut as well as a Zelda/Sheik-esque swap character (plus I think it’d be funny if their tag in/out mechanic was then slapping tails)

For the record I’d say Otis and Angry Beavers are pretty interchangeable here so if you wanna say Angry Beavers is #32 and Otis is #33 that works too

If we get 34, I envision it’ll be one of two characters

Mr. Krabs is a stupidly popular request and a super popular character. Don’t think I need to elaborate why I think he’d get priority.

Luna Loud is definitely the most desired Loud House character next, is generally popular even within the LH fandom, was already in Super Brawl Universe and Loud House is really popular and big for Nickelodeon atm, no way we get a sequel and they don’t request another Loud House character.

And if we get 35 characters, then just add whoever wasn’t added in the last slot out of these two

That leaves Zuko as the odd character out and here is my reasoning why I don’t think he’ll be base roster:

He was DLC in Kart Racers 3 and is an insanely popular character across all animation fandoms not just Nick and Avatar, and besides Timmy and Crimson Chin, he’d be the most popular request yet to get in.

All this to say I could see those 3 being a trio of DLC characters that Nickelodeon would trust to sell super well. Maybe not the most agreeable logic but that’s what I’m sticking with

This is the roster prediction I’m gonna stick to until we get any more information or an official reveal (fr this time, not like before where I’d change my predictions after like a couple days lol)
Here's a proper visual this time

june2023nasbrosterprediction.png

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Unless you count the internet acting like the game is doom
But still, Multiversus won't be a competitor because it's a free to play live service, which is completely different from NASB which is not one. Although they're both platform fighters they're targeted at completely different audiences and made with two completely different philosphies.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
But still, Multiversus won't be a competitor because it's a free to play live service, which is completely different from NASB which is not one. Although they're both platform fighters they're targeted at completely different audiences and made with two completely different philosphies.
That’s how it should be but that’s not how the internet went with it so it’s unfortunately not the reality

2023 would be a very bad time to release this game. Not only is there another Nick game to take attention from it, it will also have to compete against freaking Mario in the family gaming department.
Except, by your logic, those aren't competitors because they aren't the same genre. They're targeted to completely different audiences, a lot of people that pick up Mario were never going to get NASB 2. There's always going to be big releases from different genres even if they waited until 2024. MVS is another platform fighter and did overshadow the first game and its own announcements sometimes. 2023's a dry year for platform fighters, this is NASB's best chance at forming stable growth without any setbacks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Odie is a maybe. He was in NKR3 and the team do love Garfield. But I think he's behind more fan pleasing picks. I could see it but I don't think he's a lock

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't think "fans would be indifferent to Odie" is really that damning a situation likelihood-wise, considering that the remaining TMNT are seemingly here and that show's quantity of content was outright despised by quite a few people. I think Odie's in a similar spot, being an acquirred character who not many people are necessarily clamoring for, but just kinda makes sense and would appeal to a silent chunk of the game's fanbase who aren't clued in on the Nick (be that the brand or this specific game) discourse.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Been a bit of a hot topic on the subreddit so might as well ask here: what would you guys think about Sonic (or I guess more specifically Movie Sonic) getting in the game?

Some people think it’s a good publicity push and allows Sonic to have a more fleshed out moveset than what he’s got in Smash (presumably)

Others think it kinda defeats the point of this being a Nick fighting game and fuels the “we’re better than Smash!!!” mentality that in hindsight plagued the general consensus during pre-release of NASB 1

I am others

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Been a bit of a hot topic on the subreddit so might as well ask here: what would you guys think about Sonic (or I guess more specifically Movie Sonic) getting in the game?

Some people think it’s a good publicity push and allows Sonic to have a more fleshed out moveset than what he’s got in Smash (presumably)

Others think it kinda defeats the point of this being a Nick fighting game and fuels the “we’re better than Smash!!!” mentality that in hindsight plagued the general consensus during pre-release of NASB 1

I am others
I just think his chances are overstated when it wasn't easy to get him into Smash itself.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

I am others
What relevance does he even have to Nickelodeon? Just because Paramount made the movies?

It's Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. At least with Smash it's not called "Nintendo Fighters."

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What relevance does he even have to Nickelodeon? Just because Paramount made the movies?
I think they like to advertise the movie franchise frequently on Nick, including rerunning the first one and airing shows about the making of the second one when it was new.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

It's Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. At least with Smash it's not called "Nintendo Fighters."
Aside from Paramount having the film rights to Sonic and Nick themselves airing the movies sometimes, Sonic himself has no association with Nick as a brand. There has never been a Sonic show made solely for Nick. And I myself don't want third parties. I want this to be much smaller and more contained crossover to contrast with the far more ambitious crossovers like Smash Bros. and Multiversus.

FazDude

Smash Master
As a big Sonic fan, I'd rather him stay out of NASB - He'd be an eye-catcher for sure, but I feel like they should focus on properties Paramount fully owns rather than springing to Sonic because of the movies.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

I am others
You'll never meet a bigger fan of Sonic and hater of Sonic's depiction in Smash than me, and I'm gonna go ahead and agree that Movie Sonic doesn't really belong in this game. They don't even use the Nickelodeon Movies branding on the Sonic films, which is telling because Nickelodeon IS Paramount's branding/dumping ground for family friendly stuff.

I think it's best to just keep it to Nickelodeon and just Nickelodeon. Like yeah that limits the selection, but I'd rather get like, Nick Jr characters or some more acquisitions/licensed stuff before they strt dipping into general Paramount.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Like if I really really really wanted to prioritize a third party pick that’s closely associated with Nickelodeon, Doug, Power Rangers or maybe Transformers, that’s about it

Top Bottom