• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
NASB 1 was revealed early July and we have box art. I’d say we can expect a proper reveal within a couple weeks more or less

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It was just an example of how this game doesn't have a laid-back community even when it's small.
I guess I can see that. It felt laid back before the Hugh thing happened and opened the floodgates, but I figure now that Jimmy is for sure coming, there's no reason to argue about that anymore, so I hope it can go back to feeling laid back.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Multiversus. I think the damage is already done.

If NASB2 can fix the original's "good gameplay lousy presentation" issues, then this is bound to be a solid game, and at the very least a finished package.
MVS has the opposite problem. it's all presentation on top of janky, floaty, convoluted gameplay. They have a lot of work to do.
Finally someone gets it that Multiversus isn't the second coming of Christ himself

I don't wanna come off as some sort of hipster or anything but I genuinely did always like NASB more because even if it didn't look the best I at least had fun playing the game. Being different from Smash just to be different (like MvS) isn't as great a thing as they thought it was.

If this game can manage to make a better first impression maybe people won't dunk on it so hard, and it won't have to be some exclusive small community.

That said the first game, even on a gameplay front, did have it's problems. As much as some people won't like it, I think they need to throw out the "everyone needs to be competitively viable" thing and just create characters with the intent of being faithful representatives of their shows. Not everyone needs their attacks to come out so blindingly fast. It's okay to have slower characters with longer animations. People love K. Rool and Ganon despite their low tier viability

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not everyone needs their attacks to come out so blindingly fast. It's okay to have slower characters with longer animations. People love K. Rool and Ganon despite their low tier viability
hell it's not like slow characters can't be viable anyway, see Brawl Snake.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
As much as some people won't like it, I think they need to throw out the "everyone needs to be competitively viable" thing and just create characters with the intent of being faithful representatives of their shows.
Absolutely not. That's how you get Min Mins, Mega Men, and Heroes, one of the biggest flaws (and holy ****, are there a lot) of Namco's Smash.

Are you guys only playing this game because you like the Nick characters and not because of the gameplay???

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's both. But I still know that Melee, even competitively, isn't purely rushdown focused.
That's just NASB's niche - in the same way that Rivals' niche is character gimmicks and MVS' niche is 2v2.

Also, NASB is nothing like Melee? All the Melee similarities are, as I've said many times before, just the essentials of the modern platform fighter in the same way the essentials of the modern traditional fighter were laid out in SF2. When did anyone bring up Melee?????

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That's just NASB's niche - in the same way that Rivals' niche is character gimmicks and MVS' niche is 2v2.

Also, NASB is nothing like Melee? All the Melee similarities are, as I've said many times before, just the essentials of the modern platform fighter in the same way the essentials of the modern traditional fighter were laid out in SF2. When did anyone bring up Melee?????
Either way, all fighters have people expecting diverse playstyles, even ones that are more combo-focused have mighty glaciers no matter how much they get overwhelmed by Vergil or Fox.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Slightly off-topic, but that Avatar game doesn't look too good personally. Graphics look "okay" at best and the character movement looks a bit stiff?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Absolutely not. That's how you get Min Mins, Mega Men, and Heroes, one of the biggest flaws (and holy ****, are there a lot) of Namco's Smash.

Are you guys only playing this game because you like the Nick characters and not because of the gameplay???
There is literally nothing wrong with having experimental characters in the game. Just because you personally don't care for those fighters, and yes, we all know about your hatred for experimentation, doesn't mean other people can't or don't enjoy those characters. Min Min, Mega Man, and the Hero don't play like reskins of other characters. They're unique. Just because you get salty fighting them doesn't make them any less worthy of inclusion.

And, as I mentioned before

YES

PEOPLE PLAY IT BECAUSE THEY LIKE NICKELODEON CHARACTERS

Half the reason people were interested in the concept is because Nickelodeon has the kind of lineup to rival Nintendo for this kind of game. Yes, I like platform fighters, but you know what's better than a platform fighter? One with characters I actually give a **** about.

This isn't just your little clubhouse. People are allowed to just enjoy things you don't. I realize the hypocrisy in my statement, but at least in my time I've chilled on my issues with the game.

Honestly, you'd rather them make **** up than actual be faithful to their character? So then what's the point of having the character there at all if they're not going to be in character? Might as well be an OC.

"Characters are just a function, you don't actually want Magneto, you want his play style and his 8-way dash" - MvCI devs

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I honestly think the smash killer hype won't be as big an issue this time. It's a sequel. You'll still get youtube folks like hbox cashing in (my mans did a video on that fake as hell Disney leak). But I think the majority of people who played it and where let down or who made fun just won't buy a sequel. It'll have a more stable playerbase

If they did they would wait for next year to sell NASB2.
I don't think so. You need a time period where NASB isn't overshadowed miserably if they want more people to buy it. Multiple releases in the genre are coming out in 2024, it'd be a stupid decision business wise to release it in that time period.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about Multiversus. I think the damage is already done.
Nah, it's pretty blatant that they will go all out on advertising the game when it launches. Warner will pay big twitch streamers to play the game again like last time. It launching is a big event and the less overlap NASB deals with the healthier it is for the game. Unironically one of the biggest things that hurt NASB 1 long term was always releasing something when other big events happen, leading to less people checking it out because they were forced to choose. Some content creators that were genuinely positive on the game couldn't play it because Smash, Multiversus, or something bigger was out at the exact same time.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm not even confident MVS will come back. I want it to. I ended up not liking the gameplay style but I have a lot of respect for that team. But it'll need a large overhaul to survive the kullling of LS games
It will come back, at the very least MVS will launch again and that'll be a big event. NASB 2 would benefit greatly from NOT releasing in that time period lmao. Let it come out in 2023 and it'll have months to stabilize properly without competition.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
That is literally the perspective I'm openly advocating for, why are you bringing up this quote like it's a big gotcha?
Because it's a stupid philosophy and everyone gave them **** for it because it was stupid

Nobody but the biggest sweatiest tryhards play character for function. They play characters either because they like the character or because they are fun to play.

I don't play Juri in Street Fighter because she's good, I play her because I like the character.

Do you think people would've gotten hyped for Sora if he was a generic OC playing the exact same way? No, they were hyped because it was freaking SORA.

What was the number on criticism of MvCI? People loved the gameplay but everyone said "Where are the X-Men?"

People complain that Multiversus' roster is too corporate and only represent modern CN or relevant properties. People complained that Jimmy or Raph and Donnie weren't there when they absolutely should have been.

People get attached to their favorite characters, so no **** people are playing this game for that.

This is the exact reason why Rivals and Slap City are as niche as they are, because they don't have the star power. Why should I play that when I can play the game where Steve can fight Kazuya Mishima, Pikachu, and Link?

Imagine if someone was added that played exactly the same as Rocko or Garfield, except they're just stick figures. Surely then they'd still be some of your favorites since they're just functions right?

Surely you have more self awareness than what youre letting on.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That is literally the perspective I'm openly advocating for, why are you bringing up this quote like it's a big gotcha?
Because you don't believe it yourself. If you think characters that aren't Nick all-stars MUST be in a game titled "Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl", there's no going around it. Characters aren't functions.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Nobody but the biggest sweatiest tryhards play character for function. They play characters either because they like the character or because they are fun to play.
"Because they're fun to play" and "because of the function" are literally the same thing.

I don't play Juri in Street Fighter because she's good, I play her because I like the character.
Well, I don't - I'm a huge Rocko fan but I don't play as him much in NASB because his playstyle doesn't gel with me. Never seen Hey Arnold, Loud House, or Wild Thornberrys, and have barely seen any Ren & Stimpy, but Helga; Linclon; Nigel; and R&S' playstyles gel with me best so I play as them. I don't want to play as a character I find unfun to play, even if I adore their show, and I don't want to miss out on a fun-as-hell character just because I haven't seen or outright dislike their show. This isn't the fault of Rocko, he's really well designed as a fighter, like most of the NASB roster, but he just doesn't gel with me.

Do you think people would've gotten hyped for Sora if he was a generic OC playing the exact same way? No, they were hyped because it was freaking SORA.
Hype culture is bad.

What was the number on criticism of MvCI? People loved the gameplay but everyone said "Where are the X-Men?"
Well, people loved the gameplay, that's the only thing that matters. Playercounts and street cred be damned.

This is the exact reason why Rivals and Slap City are as niche as they are, because they don't have the star power. Why should I play that when I can play the game where Steve can fight Kazuya Mishima, Pikachu, and Link?
Because they don't have 7 frames of input lag? and practice basic moveset and movement design principles?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Hype culture is bad.
It's also either a requirement or side effect of getting your preferred characters that aren't from RML into NASB. Hell, do you think Drifting Dimensions would have absolutely zero hype culture whatsoever if it was a real thing? Because if it'd have none, it'd just be Drifting Dimension.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Why, when you go into a game called Nickelodeon All Star Brawl, you believe people's first thought's couldn't and shouldn't be "I can't wait to play as Spongebob and fight Invader ZIM!" and should be "I want to play as a midweight rushdown character with low ending lag and L cancelling". What your arguing for makes no sense in the context of what this game, Smash, MVS, MvC and every other crossover fighting game are trying to be.

The whole appeal of the game lies within getting to play as those characters. If they just gave everyone functional, generic platform fighter movesets instead of anything resembling the actual characters, then why is it Nickelodeon at all? That's the point of these crossovers in the first place. The characters.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's also either a requirement or side effect of getting your preferred characters that aren't from RML into NASB. Hell, do you think Drifting Dimensions would have absolutely zero hype culture whatsoever if it was a real thing? Because if it'd have none, it'd just be Drifting Dimension.
Why do you keep on bringing up things that have absolutely no relation to this current conversation?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why do you keep on bringing up things that have absolutely no relation to this current conversation?
Because you don't have the foresight to understand that you can't always get what you want. Especially when half of it renders the other half impossible.

FazDude

Smash Master
I think that both character and function/gameplay are important when it comes to crossover platfighters; Sure, I'm more willing to check out a game when it has characters I'm into, but I can still enjoy games where I only care about, like, two of the franchises represented. Hell, my secondary in Smash is from a franchise I couldn't care less about!

The star-power of having a ton of iconic characters is what makes people come to your game, and the gameplay is what makes them stay. Multiversus learned that the hard way.

D

Deleted member

MVCI not having X-Men was lame for how petty the reasons behind it where but I think it could have survived if the roster wasn't tiny and mostly filled with reused 3 characters and if the game wasn't ugly as sin. It had many other issues

In the fictional universe where Dridim existed I think it would be more comparable to Fortnite reveals than Smash. Where its impossible to do predictions because it's so open

Last edited by a moderator:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Because you don't have the foresight to understand that you can't always get what you want. Especially when half of it renders the other half impossible.
i do not want dridim to be a real game lmao. That game would be a legal and to an extent moral nightmare if you apply real world logic to it.

Why, when you go into a game called Nickelodeon All Star Brawl, you believe people's first thought's couldn't and shouldn't be "I can't wait to play as Spongebob and fight Invader ZIM!" and should be "I want to play as a midweight rushdown character with low ending lag and L cancelling". What your arguing for makes no sense in the context of what this game, Smash, MVS, MvC and every other crossover fighting game are trying to be.

The whole appeal of the game lies within getting to play as those characters. If they just gave everyone functional, generic platform fighter movesets instead of anything resembling the actual characters, then why is it Nickelodeon at all? That's the point of these crossovers in the first place. The characters.
Ideally, a crossover aspect should be able to influence movesets without outright dominating them, like in NASB or the early Smash games. Use the best stuff from their kit to form a consistent, fair playstyle, either make up everything else or repurpose the remaining stuff into a new context to fill in the gaps.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Even if you actually believe "characters are just functions"...shouldn't that be an even bigger argument for more varied playstyles than rushdown, rushdown, and rushdown?
This is a fair point - While I don't subscribe to the "characters are functions" mentality, I do think it's important to represent as many of those functions/playstyles as possible. Some people are going to go into your game looking for someone who has a playstyle they like playing as, while others are looking for specific characters. Both are important for adding different kinds of variety.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Hype culture is bad.
This is the only point I'm addressing because literally everything you said is so exclusive to you it is not worth my time engaging with about further.

Hype culture isn't inherently bad, it's when people take things too far where it becomes toxic. Which you can say about literally anything better.

You know what I (and many others) did when Sora got announced? Cried. Because Sora was our most wanted character and a character we've connected with since we were young, from a series we grew up loving despite it's flaws. Call it cringe if you want, but we have an emotional investment in our happy little key bearer, and though we always knew it'd be a rough road we kept dreaming he would make it. Hell, he's not even the character I would consider to be the most fun to play, but he's my main anyway because of the roster, his only rival in my heart as a potential favorite character is Joker, K. Rool, and maybe Link.

Same thing with the Banjo fans. The Steve fans. Dragon Quest junkies. Final Fantasy lovers. Daisy stans. K. Rool crew, etc.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the Banjo fans
And I must mention having Master Chief instead would make hype culture far, far more toxic. There's a reason why I had that argument with WWW about how he wants obscure characters, but also one that would make it harder to want anyone more obscure than Mario.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Even if you actually believe "characters are just functions"...shouldn't that be an even bigger argument for more varied playstyles than rushdown, rushdown, and rushdown?
NASB is very rushdown-y, no denying that, but at the same time all the characters are more unique than just "rushdown, rushdown, and more rushdown" - you can't play Leonardo the same way you'd play Lincoln, and they're probably the two most similar fighters in the game.

Anyway, to clear up my opinions on characters-as-functions, I don't have a problem with people choosing characters because they're emotionally attached to them - if I did, I wouldn't be asking for Heffer and Ed Bighead in NASB (or anyone really for that matter), what I do have an issue with is moreso the ideas that
  1. annoying movesets are fine if they're faithful
  2. that perfectly fine movesets need the scrap just because they're not faithful or up-to-date
  3. that the lack of a character or franchise is somehow a dealbreaker for a game
  4. that enjoying playing as a character because of their playstyle and not emotional attachment is invalid or otherwise less valid
  5. that a character idea is inherently good just because fans demanded it. (does not apply to NASB, since I don't think there's many ways to screw up a character with non-interactive source material, even the NASB suggestions I disagree with usually have a lot of merit, and I trust the NASB devs to filter out anything that could be an issue, as they did with Aang previously)

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
For an actual discussion topic, those that have seen the leak: any predictions on moveset or playstyle for the new character(s)?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
For an actual discussion topic, those that have seen the leak: any predictions on moveset or playstyle for the new character(s)?
I have a feeling Jimmy will be another zoner-but-not-really like Oblina, Garf, e.t.c, possibly with a slightly more defensive vibe; Vlad will be a big-bodied lightweight; and Squidward will be a bit of a glass cannon with slippery but non-floaty movement.

Last edited:
At the very least, I expect their movesets to be higher quality like Garfield's than a lot of rubbish from the first game. It's gonna be fun seeing how Vlad gets animated and how Raph/Don mirror Leo and Milkey.

Top Bottom