• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Did I say that? I don't think I said that.
You did. "NASB got backlash for how it TRIED to stand out from Smash, not for playing things too safe or pandering to Hbox or whatever." NASB did not get backlash for trying to stand out from Smash. That's just not true. Nick Brawl got backlash for genuinely being a flawed game. What you mentioned is apart of the reason but it's also just for the fact that Nick Brawl had little to it and a lot of unstable things that stayed in for months. Numerous infinites (there's still infinites) and badly designed characters like April is a bad look for the game. The online, one of the most marketed things about the game that could've gave Nick something on its name, was trash for so long too. There's not even any crossplay a whole year after launch...

Btw, I agree with the wacky ideas you're all saying. That's cool.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
View attachment 361716
um I made a hypothetical NASB 2 roster? thoughts?
Considering how much they catered to fan demand, I dunno if they'd go for Sokka before Zuko. On the other hand, they probably feel more compelled to do it for DLC, so maybe he'd be saved for then assuming they aren't worried about Avatar rep backlash.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Considering how much they catered to fan demand, I dunno if they'd go for Sokka before Zuko. On the other hand, they probably feel more compelled to do it for DLC, so maybe he'd be saved for then assuming they aren't worried about Avatar rep backlash.
honestly I just felt like there's been enough fire based characters in platform fighters, thought a character that used sword/boomerangs would be more interesting. Zuko is definitely the more popular pick though

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
You did. "NASB got backlash for how it TRIED to stand out from Smash, not for playing things too safe or pandering to Hbox or whatever." NASB did not get backlash for trying to stand out from Smash. That's just not true. Nick Brawl got backlash for genuinely being a flawed game. What you mentioned is apart of the reason but it's also just for the fact that Nick Brawl had little to it and a lot of unstable things that stayed in for months. Numerous infinites (there's still infinites) and badly designed characters like April is a bad look for the game. The online, one of the most marketed things about the game that could've gave Nick something on its name, was trash for so long too. There's not even any crossplay a whole year after launch...

Btw, I agree with the wacky ideas you're all saying. That's cool.
Yes, I said that in response to you saying that people don't like NASB because it's too similar to Melee and doesn't forge a unique identity of its own. That's wrong. I'm sure some people said that, but generally speaking, you don't hear people calling NASB "Melee but worse" because that's not what it is. (If they do, they'd probably call any platform fighter that draws even superficial inspiration from Melee the same thing because they don't play platform fighters.) What I'm saying is that NASB didn't become an object of mockery because of how similar it is to Smash; if anything, precisely how it DIFFERS from Smash has contributed to its reputation, and that includes lack of polish and unique balancing issues. People don't hate it because it's not Smash (well, at least I hope not), but they also don't hate it for just being an uninspired Melee clone.
But eh, circular conversations do be circular. At this point, people are gonna have their reasons for relentlessly hating this game and that's their problem.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
View attachment 361716
um I made a hypothetical NASB 2 roster? thoughts?
I'd honestly be super disappointed if Plankton was (piloting) a big-bodied heavyweight instead of being a small fighter. I'd also not be happy with none of the pre-repped non-2000s shows not getting extra characters. (No Odie? Come on!)

Guess I may as well plug my NASB 2 roster while I'm at it.
I had a go at making a newcomer roster for a NASB 2 (assuming DLC ends at Rocko) - I have no clue if an extra 20 characters would be feasible on any non-Smash budget, let alone a budget as small as NASB's (though I would've said the same about getting 20 characters in NASB's base game too), even if 5 are clones, but either way I tried to combine personal want; feasibility; fan demand; and surprise.

Squidward
Mr. Krabs
DoodleBob (SpongeBob clone)
Luna Loud
Ronnie Ann (Lincoln clone)
Rapheal (Rise)
Donatello (2012) (Leo and Shredder are '03 now)
Odie
Tommy Pickles (Baby)
Zuko
Adult Aang (Aang clone)
Young Korra (Korra clone)
Timmy Turner
Crimson Chin
Jorgen Von Strangle
Jimmy Neutron
Gerald Johanssen (Helga clone)
Heffer
Vlad Plasmius
Biggie Cheese

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'd honestly be super disappointed if Plankton was (piloting) a big-bodied heavyweight instead of being a small fighter. I'd also not be happy with none of the pre-repped non-2000s shows not getting extra characters. (No Odie? Come on!)

Guess I may as well plug my NASB 2 roster while I'm at it.
Ronnie Anne wouldn't be a Lincoln clone, as her interests are completely different and more comparable to the main cast of Rocket Power.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

dlewis53

Smash Lord

Last round.
Well, the bottom left is definitely Squidina (because that's clearly a tentacle and Squidward's already on the roster image), and the bottom right might be Angelica, but does anyone have any ideas on who the top right could be?

At first I thought it was Odie, but then I noticed he was already added to the roster image, so it can't be him. Maybe Zuko since he hasn't been shown despite being a part of the turbo edition (which this particular giveaway is for)?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, the bottom left is definitely Squidina (because that's clearly a tentacle and Squidward's already on the roster image), and the bottom right might be Angelica, but does anyone have any ideas on who the top right could be?

At first I thought it was Odie, but then I noticed he was already added to the roster image, so it can't be him. Maybe Zuko since he hasn't been shown despite being a part of the turbo edition (which this particular giveaway is for)?
It’s Tommy, unless his Reptar kart is being given to someone else.

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
Bottom right could be Tommy's bottle, while top right could be Angelica's shoe.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's no way they're leaving Tommy out if they have chuckle and Angelica.

Plus. Hasn't Tommy literally been mentioned/leaked in promo material?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I'm confused.
Squidina is basically confirmed to be bottom left. I can't tell which one is meant to be Tommy and which one is meant to be Angelica.

D

Deleted member

It is possible purple reptar is an alt and doesn't take a spot. But that would still only leave one open spot

Top Bottom