• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

This must feel pretty cathartic for our tabby one. Any chances the Bikini Atoll explosion will be edited onto gameplay of this move?
Is it just me or are fighters more affected by the lighting in Garfield's Dream than they are in other stages? Will we see that get applied to the base stages?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Earlier when i was seeing the footage of Garfield's Trailer, i noticed some fangs on Garf's mouth while he starts cat scratching.

A Garfield Show Reference?
1638928927015.png

Last edited:

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
Something a bit unrelated,but when the garfield patch comes out I wonder if we'll get more updates on shredder in the game files

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Is it true that Nick All Star fans hate modern shows and don't want fighters from it?

(the one they hate the most is pretty much Loud House)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Is it true that Nick All Star fans hate modern shows and don't want fighters from it?

Not all of them, but there's a lot of players who hate on modern Nick shows, especially the Loud House.

This thread's comments section is full of intolerant people.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Nick All Star fan here. My favorite Nick show is Loud House... then again I think it depends on the person. I didn't have cable growing up so basically everyone except the Ninja Turtles characters were complete unknowns to me (I did know who Spongebob was though).

Since the game was announced I've been trying to watch some of the shows to better understand who the characters are.

By the way, I'm not counting Garfield in the above sentences. Mostly because I know him and he's had a 16 year long nightmare at the amusement park I live near.

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Seems like it. People tend to pre-emptively **** on stuff they didn't grow up with before giving any of it a chance.

Though to be honest with you, I feel like part of the reason there are so few modern day Nick characters in the game is because Loud House is the only one that was allowed to last long enough to make an impact. Nick goes through new shows like tissue paper these days because they insist they have to pull Sponge numbers right off the bat. Not even TMNT is safe from that.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

There is a subset of loud, stupid, NASB fans who are like that yes. I imagine it's an expression of the more general phenomenon of people who reflexively hate anything they associate with children, which I've never understood.

I'd like to think they're a loud minority.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
For a little more context...

1638935375455.png

Seems like Rep was scared a leak could cause Nick to pull out. Also note the use of the word "franchise" to describe NASB and not, like, "this one game and this one game only"... Him lying here is kind of funny when the reaction to the Toph leak was so... divergent lol.

1638935457920.png

It's also confirmed Garfield was pushed for by someone at GameMill, so they do have power over character selection to some extent. Rep also reiterated that characters will not be selected by one person in particular and is a group effort.

Alexis has previously indicated that Jenny's inclusion from the base game was for a funny reason, which makes me think that she may have been considered but dismissed due to the association with, uh, certain parts of the internet, if you catch my drift.

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 339791

Seems like Rep was scared a leak could cause Nick to pull out. Also note the use of the word "franchise" to describe NASB and not, like, "this one game and this one game only"... Him lying here is kind of funny when the reaction to the Toph leak was so... divergent lol.

View attachment 339792

It's also confirmed Garfield was pushed for by someone at GameMill, so they do have power over character selection to some extent. Rep also reiterated that characters will not be selected by one person in particular and is a group effort.

Alexis has previously indicated that Jenny's inclusion from the base game was for a funny reason, which makes me think that she may have been considered but dismissed due to the association with, uh, certain parts of the internet, if you catch my drift.
kinda of weird for that decision i think.(Regarding the spoiler) Ik what they mean, but i mean, i don't think that should be a reason not to tbh

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 339791

View attachment 339792

I doubt it's from the internet, gotta be way funnier than "internet baaaad".

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not even TMNT is safe from that.
TMNT's inclusion in the game is some sort of weird classic/modern limbo: They're based on the incarnation that debuted in 1987, but the basic concept of TMNT in a Nick game is modern Nick representation.

The same could be said about Garfield: Only recently could a game with NASB's budget easily acquire the license to use Garfield alongside other characters Viacom owns, but he's had history with Nick before Viacom bought him.

dlewis53

Smash Lord

View attachment 339791

View attachment 339792

...I don't really see how those parts of the internet could've affected her chances for the base game, but hopefully Jenny still has a chance as DLC.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm pretty ambivalent to The Loud House myself. I haven't seen it, and from what I hear it is pretty generic as far as Nicktoons go, but if they announce a third Loud House character someday, I won't be rioting in the streets over it. It'd just be... whatever, y'know?
Well hot-diggety-dog, that's pretty much what I was assuming happened from the beginning. I'm glad Ludosity's future with the franchise is water-tight now and Rep doesn't have to worry about leaks like this ruining them anymore.

amageish

Smash Master
...I don't really see how those parts of the internet could've affected her chances for the base game, but hopefully Jenny still has a chance as DLC.
She seems extraordinarily confident in Jenny's chances overall, for whatever that is worth.

I think Game Mill having some sway over character choices does generally increase the odds of getting some more mainstream stuff in the game and I especially feel like the odds have slightly increase for Star Trek Prodigy content.... for whatever that is worth; I have heard literally nothing about that show since it premiered. Is it good? Is it bad? Idk. I guess maybe no news is good news, but Lower Decks at least got people talking...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
2 things I find confusing here.

1: Why are people surprised Garfield is based on the 90's show? Considering how the TMNT characters have been handled, it should have been obvious imo, though that means that if they get a Power Rangers guest character they'll go for a MMPR rep so I don't want that as much anymore

2: You guys do realize how stupid Jenny being blacklisted sounds because of that part of her fanbase right? Not only because Jenny's got multiple emotes in the official server which are based off the popular fan interpretation that she's trans, but also because this can apply to say, Loud House fans being surprisingly incestuous or everything surrounding Ren and Stimpy, who may I remind you outright reference the adult party cartoon thing in the game?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
She seems extraordinarily confident in Jenny's chances overall, for whatever that is worth.

I think Game Mill having some sway over character choices does generally increase the odds of getting some more mainstream stuff in the game and I especially feel like the odds have slightly increase for Star Trek Prodigy content.... for whatever that is worth; I have heard literally nothing about that show since it premiered. Is it good? Is it bad? Idk. I guess maybe no news is good news, but Lower Decks at least got people talking...
In any case, when/if DLC officially starts dipping more into some of Nick's more modern shows (the big pre-00s ones are almost all covered so far, regardless if some main characters are missing), all hell is going to break loose in the fanbase. They're gonna have to try and accept that the staff is willing to go into uncharted territory for the sake of trying to make an interesting Nick fighting game, even if Nick would not have wanted to otherwise. Game Mill/Ludosity can only double-dip so much before covering more unrepresented series.

or a reference to a time in the comics he did it
Technically speaking, Caught In The Act did obliquely reference Garfield: His 9 Lives in its concept (which itself is inspired by a Fritz the Cat movie, of all things, but that's neither here nor there). One segment had a prehistoric Garfield.

Also, the Friends show did apparently have its own prehistoric Garfield too in Legend of the Lake.

I told you all that this leak would do nothing but good for this game's publicity. This clinches it.

That being said, leaks usually don't cause DLC to be cancelled. I mean, isn't the point of buying something is for it to get publicity for that to happen? There are companies whose security are wet paper tissue and their DLC stuff still managed to sell regardless, so this fear/concern may have been a tad bit of overreacting.

I doubt it's from the internet, gotta be way funnier than "internet baaaad".
I'm willing to bet it's just some Nick execs forgetting that the show existed or not feeling like wanting to do anything for it anymore. I mean, the staffers for this game had to push for months to get folks like Oblina and PTM in here.

Not even TMNT is safe from that.
They seem to have more bias for the 2012 version overall (since it was the first and most successful of the in-house Nick Turtles), but Game Mill and Ludosity went against the grain. I bet that they didn't expect Dotemu and Tribute Games to ask for a new '87 game at all, either (still no details on how the negotiations went since it was done by e-mail, according to the Tribute Discord).

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That being said, leaks usually don't cause DLC to be cancelled
It's more so at wanting to make sure the team they're working with is secure, it sounds farfetched but Nintendo scrapped plans for Netflix shows after Netflix leaked it. It sounds a bit dumb but it's a potential concern, especially with Ludocity's small team

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's more so at wanting to make sure the team they're working with is secure, it sounds farfetched but Nintendo scrapped plans for Netflix shows after Netflix leaked it. It sounds a bit dumb but it's a potential concern, especially with Ludocity's small team
Fair enough. At any rate the character in question was free this time, so at least the potential damage was mitigated enough. Also, nice to see another Zenkaiger fan on here.

On the subject of Discord emotes, would anyone mind posting the recent set? Curious to see if it's been updated (not that it would affect characters' chances much, but still).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Technically speaking, Caught In The Act did obliquely reference Garfield: His 9 Lives in its concept (which itself is inspired by a Fritz the Cat movie, of all things, but that's neither here nor there). One segment had a prehistoric Garfield.

Also, the Friends show did apparently have its own prehistoric Garfield too in Legend of the Lake.

I know all this

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In any case, when/if DLC officially starts dipping more into some of Nick's more modern shows (the big pre-00s ones are almost all covered so far, regardless if some main characters are missing), all hell is going to break loose in the fanbase. They're gonna have to try and accept that the staff is willing to go into uncharted territory for the sake of trying to make an interesting Nick fighting game, even if Nick would not have wanted to otherwise. Game Mill/Ludosity can only double-dip so much before covering more unrepresented series.

The problem is that most of Nick's more modern shows are either forgettable, crap, or based on licensed properties that Nick might not even own. The Loud House is one of the few that does not fall into any of those categories.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The problem is that most of Nick's more modern shows are either forgettable, crap, or based on licensed properties that Nick might not even own. The Loud House is one of the few that does not fall into any of those categories.
More like Nick cancels them after one season and doesn't give them the Invader Zim treatment.

Besides, with Jimmy, Timmy, and Jenny seen as common omissions to the roster, with Snap trailing behind, can you really say there's a bias against the 2000s in the NASB fanbase?

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
More like Nick cancels them after one season and doesn't give them the Invader Zim treatment.

Besides, with Jimmy, Timmy, and Jenny seen as common omissions to the roster, with Snap trailing behind, can you really say there's a bias against the 2000s in the NASB fanbase?
Not Necessarily, They usually get another season or two with said seasons getting burned into their sister network
3 Seasons(Breadwinners, Sanjay & Craig, and Kung Fu Panda)
2 Seasons(Welcome to the Wayne, Pig Goat Banana Cricket, Harvey Beaks, and It's Pony)
1 Season(Bunsen is a Beast and Robot & Monster)

Flyboy

Smash Hero

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I gotta admit, I got a good chuckle out of his light dash being tap dancing; that's hilarious!

Also, they incorporated the tap dancing from "Garfield & Friends" into the moveset; that feels like something you'd see from Sakurai! I love it!

Now we just need the showcase video to get a better idea how he'll play.

FazDude

Smash Master

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
So I assume thrashing thoughts will have a lot of different text to appear at random? Since the pic says "mondays" but the video says "lasagna". I wonder if there'll be any RNG properties to the text - I hope not, it'd be pretty tricky for dyslexic or foreign players.

UserKev

Smash Champion
In terms of 2000s Nick reps, Jenny should definitely be in. Catscratch would have also really benefited the roster. Jorgon (Fairy Odd Parents) should be in. Korra should have a 2nd rep, Mako or Bolin.

For 2010s Nick, Kung Fu Panda/Poo would be an interesting guest if not Nick Allstar. Nick should have went all out and added a Nick Jr. representation, Blues Clues, Dora.

amageish

Smash Master
You guys do realize how stupid Jenny being blacklisted sounds because of that part of her fanbase right? Not only because Jenny's got multiple emotes in the official server which are based off the popular fan interpretation that she's trans, but also because this can apply to say, Loud House fans being surprisingly incestuous or everything surrounding Ren and Stimpy, who may I remind you outright reference the adult party cartoon thing in the game?
I don't think anyone is suggesting she's blacklisted by the devs or not going to get into the game long-term, but just thinking that could be the "funny" thing that resulted in her missing the boat the first time... Though if it's something unguessable, it could be as simple as "They were considering her for Fighter 21 and then Game Mill came down from on high offering Garfield and everyone burst out laughing too hard at the fighting game Garfield potential."

Actually, wasn't Rep's profile picture of a Jenny He-Man for a while before it became the iconic Garfield He-Man it is today? Not that it'd mean much of anything; I'm aware he's cycled through several buff profile pictures.

On the subject of Discord emotes, would anyone mind posting the recent set? Curious to see if it's been updated (not that it would affect characters' chances much, but still).
Sure, why not.

1638986500703.png

1638986538335.png

1638986600358.png

1638986628221.png

1638987193419.png

1638987222861.png

1638987247557.png

1638987274234.png

1638987301537.png

1638987320494.png

1638987351510.png

1638987375071.png

1638987410309.png

1638987428388.png

1638987448071.png

1638987471993.png

1638987492749.png

1638987512444.png

At this point, some of the emoji are reaching a new level of meta and specific to server tastes and in-jokes... A lot of the live-action emotes have also been going away because they aren't as fun.

Also, here's Rep on the character trailers being... what they are.

1638986382877.png

1638986400276.png

Interesting phrasing here of "If GameMill" and not "If Ludosity"...

Top Bottom