• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Well...that happened.

In all seriousness, Garfield looks like a pretty fun character, and I'm always up for fighters that are more on the cartoony side (like Ren & Stimpy and Nigel). I got a good chuckle out of some of his attacks (particularly the ones where he's eating lasagna, where he whacks the opponent with a giant slab of meat, and the aerial where he basically burps at the opponent). I also liked the reference to the opening to Garfield & Friends with the tap-dance routine, as well as how his guard is just him holding up his hand; that's just hilarious! Also, the move involving his teddy bear (which if I recall is one of his specials) looks like it could be an interesting tool to use.

His stage also seems pretty good; visually speaking it looks gorgeous, and the simple layout makes it good for someone like me who mainly plays one-on-one matches unless I'm in the mood for a free-for-all. Not to mention I already know that the music is gonna be another banger!

Honestly, my only complaints about the reveal are A. Once again the trailer moves too fast for its own good (I had to slow it down just to get an idea of what was happening), and B. Once again, there isn't a concrete release date for the Switch outside of "December 2021"; I guess I should be happy that he's at least coming out this month for me, but it's still a bit frustrating that I'll once again be the last guy to play with the new stuff.

Again, curse you Nintendo!

But yeah, despite being firmly neutral on Garfield as a whole (my only real experience being incredibly vague memories of watching Garfield & Friends as a kid, and watching The Garfield Show as a teen and thinking it was "meh") and my initial impression of him being an ad pick, Garfield looks like a worthy addition to the roster and I'm excited to learn more about him in the showcase and play him for myself!*

*Whenever that happens

Edit: I'm still a bit bummed that the trailer song still hasn't been released in full.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I was so excited until finding out Switch owners have to wait two weeks while everyone else gets him this weekend. What a buzzkill.

He looks incredible though, like I can't believe Garfield is in a fighting game.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It's worth noting that Garfield's listed as being available December '21 (as in the short form of 2021), not December 21. So he could come out anywhere from December 10th to December 31st.

(do we know why the Switch version of this update has a different release date from the rest? I don't recall other DLC releases being delayed compared to the release dates on other platforms, but then again, a lot of the games that I play aren't multiplayer multiplatform games with DLC that came out at the same time as the other versions, as I look through my Switch line-up)

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
It's worth noting that Garfield's listed as being available December '21 (as in the short form of 2021), not December 21. So he could come out anywhere from December 10th to December 31st.

(do we know why the Switch version of this update has a different release date from the rest? I don't recall other DLC releases being delayed compared to the release dates on other platforms, but then again, a lot of the games that I play aren't multiplayer multiplatform games with DLC that came out at the same time as the other versions, as I look through my Switch line-up)
From my understanding, the reason the Garfield update for Switch is coming later than the other platforms is because Nintendo is paranoid that updates to games not made by them could cause issues with the Switch itself, so they basically go through the entire update with a fine-tooth comb...which causes it to come out quite a bit later than the other platforms.

Pretty much all the updates for All-Star Brawl have been like this on the Switch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Today, history is being made. The cat's out of the bag. An acquired character on Nick's stable that didn't even have any original Nick shows made for them yet got used in something. You can just tell that Ludosity wanted to use him as soon as possible.

Luckily Switch users won't need to wait too long for the character to launch, should be ready by Xmas. At least it's not a few months from now, so I'm fine with waiting for this.

...Speaking of which, who's ready to watch the Garfield Christmas special? 🎄

I love that IGN forgot to ****ing upload the images to the announcement. They were supposed to have his moveset page.
I would bring up a certain meme about IGN's staff's usual performance, but everyone already knows it.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
garfcollage.png

Sorry, folks, I had to. I'm probably the only one who still cares, but now that we've seen Garfield officially and his model's ostensibly the same one from the leak, I couldn't help taking a trip down memory lane and looking at the discourse from when that leak was still fresh. No offense to the people who made these posts, of course, it's all in good fun, but after how smug some of y'all got about that ****, I feel I've earned my moment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
By the way, the sabertooth expression move is a reference to Garfield: Caught In The Act on Genesis. I never actually thought they'd reference that gem.

Man, Ludosity does really care about making this game or what? When they get the breathing room, anyways.

View attachment 339756
Sorry, folks, I had to. I'm probably the only one who still cares, but now that we've seen Garfield officially and his model's ostensibly the same one from the leak, I couldn't help taking a trip down memory lane and looking at the discourse from when that leak was still fresh. No offense to the people who made these posts, of course, it's all in good fun, but after how smug some of y'all got about that ****, I feel I've earned my moment.
The only reason I felt defensive was because whether Ultimate would get anyone that'd stack up to him, but that's no issue now. :ultsora: Though I embraced the possibility prior to this.

That said, I think this leak's helpful for publicizing the game. Here we have the first official Nick-related appearance for Garfield.

Garfield will be free, as will Shredder, and then every other character will likely be paid.
Pretty much. What I wonder about is how the season pass structure will look like, but at least we're getting steadily closer to finding out.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
By the way, the sabertooth expression move is a reference to Garfield: Caught In The Act on Genesis. I never actually thought they'd reference that gem.

Man, Ludosity does really care about making this game or what? When they get the breathing room, anyways.
Yeah, when it comes to the actual characters and their movesets, it's clear that the devs really do care about the game and want it to be great.

It's in other stuff that Nickelodeon doesn't give them any breathing room for stupid reasons.

amageish

Smash Master
Garfield looks good! I find it funny half of his trailer is reusing old footage from previous trailers with the "Introducing" thing and we STILL HAVEN'T SEEN KORRA'S ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER. YOU COULD HAVE PUT IT INSIDE OF GARFIELD'S TRAILER, GUYS.

sighs

Anyway, yeah, the moveset has a good references. No question that there are some hardcore Garfield fans on the dev team.

1638908009578.png

And Rep is also surprised the Switch version is still lagging behind, so... um... That's awkward. I'm also kind of surprised Fair Play labs are the contact-point with consoles; shouldn't that be Game Mill's job?

Attachments

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Garfield looks good! I find it funny half of his trailer is reusing old footage from previous trailers with the "Introducing" thing and we STILL HAVEN'T SEEN KORRA'S ANNOUNCEMENT TRAILER. YOU COULD HAVE PUT IT INSIDE OF GARFIELD'S TRAILER, GUYS.

sighs

Anyway, yeah, the moveset has a good references. No question that there are some hardcore Garfield fans on the dev team.

View attachment 339765

And Rep is also surprised the Switch version is still lagging behind, so... um... That's awkward. I'm also kind of surprised Fair Play labs are the contact-point with consoles; shouldn't that be Game Mill's job?
Should probably be out next week, then.

We can reasonably assume that every DLC character will come with an alt from the word go. Which one it is for Garf is the question today.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Should probably be out next week, then.

We can reasonably assume that every DLC character will come with an alt from the word go. Which one it is for Garf is the question today.
There are some screenshots on Twitter that show Garfield wearing a pizza bandana around his neck, so I think that's his alt.

sighs
...Yeah, it still kind of bugs me that we never got a proper reveal trailer for Korra despite there clearly being evidence of one in that Xbox podcast.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Well...that happened.

In all seriousness, Garfield looks like a pretty fun character, and I'm always up for fighters that are more on the cartoony side (like Ren & Stimpy and Nigel). I got a good chuckle out of some of his attacks (particularly the ones where he's eating lasagna, where he whacks the opponent with a giant slab of meat, and the aerial where he basically burps at the opponent). I also liked the reference to the opening to Garfield & Friends with the tap-dance routine, as well as how his guard is just him holding up his hand; that's just hilarious! Also, the move involving his teddy bear (which if I recall is one of his specials) looks like it could be an interesting tool to use.

His stage also seems pretty good; visually speaking it looks gorgeous, and the simple layout makes it good for someone like me who mainly plays one-on-one matches unless I'm in the mood for a free-for-all. Not to mention I already know that the music is gonna be another banger!

Honestly, my only complaints about the reveal are A. Once again the trailer moves too fast for its own good (I had to slow it down just to get an idea of what was happening), and B. Once again, there isn't a concrete release date for the Switch outside of "December 2021"; I guess I should be happy that he's at least coming out this month for me, but it's still a bit frustrating that I'll once again be the last guy to play with the new stuff.

Again, curse you Nintendo!

But yeah, despite being firmly neutral on Garfield as a whole (my only real experience being incredibly vague memories of watching Garfield & Friends as a kid, and watching The Garfield Show as a teen and thinking it was "meh") and my initial impression of him being an ad pick, Garfield looks like a worthy addition to the roster and I'm excited to learn more about him in the showcase and play him for myself!*

*Whenever that happens

Edit: I'm still a bit bummed that the trailer song still hasn't been released in full.
You're Not the only who plays the game on the switch, you know.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

sighs

View attachment 339765

I Wonder If they'll do the same with Shredder But with the TMNT Characters

LimeTH

Smash Lord

I looked again and yeah, youre right.

I can't tell if the fact we don't actually have a date for the Switch release is better or worse...

FazDude

Smash Master
I'm a little late to the party, but even when we knew about it for a while, seeing Garfield in action was pretty hype. His moveset looks pretty fun (a lot of it feels pretty on-brand for Garfield, and I'm interested in that lingering thought bubble brings to the table), and it's nice to have a character in the roster I had an attachment to (not that I didn't grow up with Nicktoons or anything, I just stuck to a few and am totally out of the loop on the newer stuff). My one gripe is that his little top hat isn't his alt, which is a shame (though it makes me wonder what it'll be used for).

Overall, pretty excited for Garf. Was meaning to pick this game back up soon anyway, so this is a nice little incentive.

Also, just realized Garfield's our first acquired property to get a playable representative. Your move, Goku.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Garfield looks very good. It seems that giving the last 2 characters more time in the oven was a great idea, because his model and animations looks pretty clean compared to others fighters. Even his stages seems to have way more detailled than most of the others. This put my hopes up for the future of the game ansd I'm excited to see the other characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom