• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
amageish amageish It wouldn't hurt to have some Aaahh!!! Real Monsters episodes in between, for that event of yours. Also, there's Silence of The Luans, if you need a double-feature of sorts.

Then that should capture the vibe of Spongebob very well. Because there's far too many moments where the show purposefully does gross out and extremely zany stuff with normally cute/appealing characters. I'm pretty sure the amount of off putting zoom ins with Spongebob as a character are in the double digits.
That stuff was on the minimum until around season 5, which randomly cranked up the gross-out aspects to nightmarish levels, as if to match up with The Ren & Stimpy Show. They mostly cut down on it after season 8, though there are still some moments.

That said, the only stuff that would feel "out of character" to me here is anyone that's a super badass at fighting, but it's necessary for obvious reasons here.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...Well I'll be damned, miracles DO happen!

So I went to my local Gamestop today fully expecting to have to cancel my pre-order and put the money I used in it towards the digital version...when lo and behold, they actually FINALLY had the physical version in today (and possibly just then)!

Hallelujah!

It's currently downloading the current update (which might take at least an hour), but I'll FINALLY be able to play the game for myself now! And I didn't need to go through the hassle of getting the credit and downloading the virtual version!
So, I haven't seen much discussion on him (and that's probably because his show wasn't too good) But what would your thoughts be if Tak was added in the future?

Back in the 2000s Nick tried to make an original video game IP called Tak and the Power of Juju. The games themselves are pretty alright considering the circumstances (I own 2 of them myself) but they're no longer that popular due to the show's low reception killing the franchise.

Probably not the most unique talking point but I love exploring weird ideas for fighters that no one expects.
View attachment 334333
Honestly, in regards to Tak himself, I don't have any strong feelings for or against him; he's always just been there for me; I never played any of his games, and I don't recall his show being all that interesting.

But when it comes to platform-fighter characters, I've said it before and I'll say it again: as long as they're unique enough from the rest of the cast and fun to play as, I'll be perfectly fine with them.

So if Tak can fulfill those requirements, then I'm all for him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So I went to my local Gamestop today fully expecting to have to cancel my pre-order and put the money I used in it towards the digital version...when lo and behold, they actually FINALLY had the physical version in today (and possibly just then)!

Hallelujah!

It's currently downloading the current update (which might take at least an hour), but I'll FINALLY be able to play the game for myself now! And I didn't need to go through the hassle of getting the credit and downloading the virtual version!

Honestly, in regards to Tak himself, I don't have any strong feelings for or against him; he's always just been there for me; I never played any of his games, and I don't recall his show being all that interesting.

But when it comes to platform-fighter characters, I've said it before and I'll say it again: as long as they're unique enough from the rest of the cast and fun to play as, I'll be perfectly fine with them.

See, patience can be rewarding. 😌 That said, maybe it wouldn't hurt to call up my local Gamestop...

But yeah, otherwise I agree with your views on Tak.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Doesn't feel jarring considering the things characters in that show have done even since season 1. The bite, if anything, reminds me a lot of "I'm With Stupid" when he does an overly large, dramatic chomp to Patrick's hand when he's pointing at Spongebob when mocking him in front of his parents.
That's probably the exact scene they were trying to reference with that move, if I had to guess.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
So, I haven't seen much discussion on him (and that's probably because his show wasn't too good) But what would your thoughts be if Tak was added in the future?

Back in the 2000s Nick tried to make an original video game IP called Tak and the Power of Juju. The games themselves are pretty alright considering the circumstances (I own 2 of them myself) but they're no longer that popular due to the show's low reception killing the franchise.

Probably not the most unique talking point but I love exploring weird ideas for fighters that no one expects.
View attachment 334333
I'd totally be down for that as long as it takes inspiration from the games and not the show.

Also if VA gets added, there's a non-zero chance that we could get Patrick Warburton to cameo as this dingleberry:

amageish

Smash Master
amageish amageish It wouldn't hurt to have some Aaahh!!! Real Monsters episodes in between, for that event of yours. Also, there's Silence of The Luans, if you need a double-feature of sorts.
We got that covered! "The Switching Hour" is in the line-up, with other episodes including My Life as a Teenage Robot's "Raggedy Android," CatDog's "CatDogula," SpongeBob's "Graveyard Shift," Avatar's "The Puppetmaster," and Victorious' "Terror on Cupcake Street" (I have like next to no memory of what Victorious was like as a show - beyond a bunch of shipbaiting with Jade, Beck, and Tori in every possible configuration - so we'll see how that goes).

I considered Silence of the Luans too, which is easily one of my fave S5 episodes (not that there's much competition; most of the episodes I've enjoyed this season have amounted to "This is just a standard sitcom cliche plot, but I like the Louds enough that I'm still enjoying watching it")... but at that point you may as well just watch all of the April Fool's specials and that seems a bit excessive.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
We got that covered! "The Switching Hour" is in the line-up, with other episodes including My Life as a Teenage Robot's "Raggedy Android," CatDog's "CatDogula," SpongeBob's "Graveyard Shift," Avatar's "The Puppetmaster," and Victorious' "Terror on Cupcake Street" (I have like next to no memory of what Victorious was like as a show - beyond a bunch of shipbaiting with Jade, Beck, and Tori in every possible configuration - so we'll see how that goes).

I considered Silence of the Luans too, which is easily one of my fave S5 episodes (not that there's much competition; most of the episodes I've enjoyed this season have amounted to "This is just a standard sitcom cliche plot, but I like the Louds enough that I'm still enjoying watching it")... but at that point you may as well just watch all of the April Fool's specials and that seems a bit excessive.
Hold up, I've got an episode suggestion

Dark Harvest.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

If you want, in regards to Ren & Stimpy, a lot of it is nightmarish, but the spookiest episode I can think of is Haunted House (obviously).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn't there only like... four or five episodes of APC because of the typical John K deadline missing?
Six. And only three of them actually aired on TV. And they had to be split in two.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Hold up, I've got an episode suggestion

Dark Harvest.
"Halloween Spectacular of Spooky Doom" is on the list, but that would be a much more... actually-dark episode. "Unexpectedly dark episodes of kids' show" would be a very interesting event premise in of itself, honestly. We can watch that SpongeBob episode about factory farming jellyfish or that Fairly Odd Parents episode about how Timmy Turner's seasonal depression is actually entirely justified because apparently the world would be better off without him.

If you REALLY want to have nightmares, just bingewatch Adult Party Cartoon.
I would actually like my friends to remain my friends by the end of the night, y'know...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"Halloween Spectacular of Spooky Doom" is on the list, but that would be a much more... actually-dark episode. "Unexpectedly dark episodes of kids' show" would be a very interesting event premise in of itself, honestly. We can watch that SpongeBob episode about factory farming jellyfish or that Fairly Odd Parents episode about how Timmy Turner's seasonal depression is actually entirely justified because apparently the world would be better off without him.

I would actually like my friends to remain my friends by the end of the night, y'know...
In that case, there's the Rugrats episodes that directly tackle the topic of death (most specifically, why one specific parent is never actually seen in the present), the FOP episode that reveals the fairy godchild that was responsible for some of the worst horrors in the world's history, the R&S episode in which Stimpy spits hairballs to complete exhaustion, and any ARM episodes that involve Oblina being put through the wringer.

Speaking of R&S, I wonder when that Comedy Central reboot will eventually air, the world crisis delayed production from what I've heard, though Billy West is certainly on it and supposedly Bob Camp is as well.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
In that case, there's the Rugrats episodes that directly tackle the topic of death (most specifically, why one specific parent is never actually seen in the present), the FOP episode that reveals the fairy godchild that was responsible for some of the worst horrors in the world's history, the R&S episode in which Stimpy spits hairballs to complete exhaustion, and any ARM episodes that involve Oblina being put through the wringer.

Speaking of R&S, I wonder when that Comedy Central reboot will eventually air, the world crisis delayed production from what I've heard, though Billy West is certainly on it and supposedly Bob Camp is as well.
Yeah, there's a lot of good options... honestly, too many good options... Don't forget about that Rocko episode which has Heffer... do things I cannot describe on SmashBoards!

Hopefully the R&S reboot production goes smoothly. It sounds like an interesting show to try and modernize...

Hoo boy, if those NDAs ever expire...

View attachment 334386
Honestly, he's a lot sassier then I'd expect to be even before the NDA has expired. He isn't exactly coy with his opinions on the game's advertising pre-launch...

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm iffy on this Comedy Central R&S reboot.

APC moslty failed because of John K. having nobody to stop him from exploring his most warped ideas, but even without him I don't think an adults-only Ren & Stimpy reboot is a good idea - not because of R&S' "sole appeal" being getting crap past the radar, because that's not true, but rather because

1. Ren & Stimpy was a product of angst at the devolving television animation landscape, which is now devolving too far into R&S' territory to the point where something cheery and bright is more likely to be controversial (case in point Steven Universe) - Ren hitting an old guy with an oar was shocking in the 90s, but I don't think it'd even be shocking on Nick today, let alone CC, given Cartoon Network showed a cop's eyes bleeding out on a train wheel and it wasn't even played for comedy.
  2. While the kids' show limits were not the only appeal or sole source of all the fun, they helped keep the show just barely out the lines of good taste - while I don't expect any "Ren Seeks Help" moments, I do think they're probably gonna lean more into the Happy Tree Friend-y side of things - which only works if you aren't expecting it... you expect it going into a Comedy Central cartoon.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
APC moslty failed because of John K. having nobody to stop him from exploring his most warped ideas
Surprisingly, some of APC's more disturbing moments were forced in there by Spike to enforce the fact that you were watching an ADULT animation block for ADULTS like ADULT Swim.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Surprisingly, some of APC's more disturbing moments were forced in there by Spike to enforce the fact that you were watching an ADULT animation block for ADULTS like ADULT Swim.
From everything I've heard, it's a bit of both. Spike really pushed for it to be adult, but there is no question that APC is absolutely unfiltered John K in the worst possible way.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
If you really want that (please don't), there's also The Goddamned George Liquor Program, which has an Easter Egg involving...well...just look at the YouTube comments and then close the hell out of that tab.
spongebob_peeking_around_corner (1).png

...I don't even know the specifics of that but I can tell where this is going

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Bob Camp seems like the saner creator to have for the reboot, but I need to remind that he slipped the Ren's Toothache episode by Nick by claiming that it would teach children about proper dental hygiene. To its credit, it worked extremely well in that regard.

From everything I've heard, it's a bit of both. Spike really pushed for it to be adult, but there is no question that APC is absolutely unfiltered John K in the worst possible way.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Spike wanted adult R&S, and that's exactly what they got.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Bob Camp seems like the saner creator to have for the reboot, but I need to remind that he slipped the Ren's Toothache episode by Nick by claiming that it would teach children about proper dental hygiene. To its credit, it worked extremely well in that regard.
Say what you will about both sides of R&S' production, but "we'll let you air messed up **** as long as you make some sappy heartwarming stories in between" would be the deal of a lifetime for me, I love it when comical characters can adapt well into something more dramatic from time to time.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Hallelujah!

That's good to hear, maybe i should try and call for my previous order to see if it's arrive i may have the game now but i could get a refund.

Mind letting me know of the details of this event? and what is the full list of shows that'll be featured in here?
There are some nick shows i'd like add if you would mind.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to R&S on Comedy Central, I think the issue here (instead of blissfully hiring a complete maniac) could be that it's so faithful to the original that it's seen as old hat in an age where adult-oriented animation has been a thing for decades, to the point that only the established fans would care enough about it. In other words, the exact same problem that Double Dragon IV had, but for beat 'em ups (not as offensive, obviously).

But I digress...

Also, I didn't get around to saying this, but just as I expected the unlockables are the most boring thing imaginable. Key art, icons, screenshots from a snapshot mode that doesn't exist, stage tracks for the jukebox and that's it. That last one I doubt had been needed to be unlockable at all, seeing as the stages only have one music track anyway.

Hoo boy, if those NDAs ever expire...

View attachment 334386
While the game isn't a failure by any stretch of the imagination, having an episode about its production would be interesting nonetheless.

Mind letting me know of the details of this event? and what is the full list of shows that'll be featured in here?
I would like to know as well, for reference's sake and keeping track of it. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
in an age where adult-oriented animation has been a thing for decades,
Well yes, although adult animation in the west has been almost entirely relegated to comedy. The networks still aren't willing to take risks when it comes to that, and I doubt R&S would. But if it were traditionally animated here in the west, by the people writing and storyboarding it, then it would at least be Ren & Stimpy, which actually would be interesting. But I assume it will be outsourced to Korea, or digitally animated? The fact that I can't find any news on how it's being animated, is proof enough that people don't really "get" why Ren & Stimpy was significant, so. Yeah it's probably going to be Seinfeld syndrome with this one, or worse. But at least Billy West is returning.

It's kind of sad to me that essentially an entire form of art is now dead in the west, even Amphibia can't do sequences that the creative staff would like to do, because they're impossible with overseas studios, and Steven Universe needs to call on an old-timer like James Baxter just to animate a sequence in the finale, since the younger generation of cartoonists are no longer taught or trained to animate. Basically the only western cartoons to come out recently have been Primal, Midnight Gospel, and probably something else I'm forgetting. But now I'm in danger of sounding like John K lol. It's just so satisfying to see the credits and actually see things like "animator", "animation timer", etc.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Small nitpick, but the hell is Seinfeld Syndrome? I looked that up and like 50 different definitions.
In TV Tropes terms, it's referred to as "Seinfeld Is Unfunny". Basically, it's something that seemed cool and innovative/daring/whathaveyou back then is seen as unoriginal or not that special when seen by someone that's been exposed to various works emulating it afterwards.

Although having Flying Bark Productions would be cool for this, even if comedy isn't their niche.

Well yes, although adult animation in the west has been almost entirely relegated to comedy. The networks still aren't willing to take risks when it comes to that, and I doubt R&S would. But if it were traditionally animated here in the west, by the people writing and storyboarding it, then it would at least be Ren & Stimpy, which actually would be interesting. But I assume it will be outsourced to Korea, or digitally animated? The fact that I can't find any news on how it's being animated, is proof enough that people don't really "get" why Ren & Stimpy was significant, so. Yeah it's probably going to be Seinfeld syndrome with this one, or worse. But at least Billy West is returning.

It's kind of sad to me that essentially an entire form of art is now dead in the west, even Amphibia can't do sequences that the creative staff would like to do, because they're impossible with overseas studios, and Steven Universe needs to call on an old-timer like James Baxter just to animate a sequence in the finale, since the younger generation of cartoonists are no longer taught or trained to animate. Basically the only western cartoons to come out recently have been Primal, Midnight Gospel, and probably something else I'm forgetting. But now I'm in danger of sounding like John K lol. It's just so satisfying to see the credits and actually see things like "animator", "animation timer", etc.
Ironically, it took a video game like Cuphead to keep this alive to some degree, and even so it's obvious that it takes a lot of time and effort to make its animation at all, what with it being indie, and the DLC campaign having been in production for a few years so far. To say nothing of the Netflix adaptation having yet to come out still.

Also, there's the fact that Ludosity actually did concept sketches to make damn sure that the duo would translate well into 3D, that's dedication.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Well, this is an IRL event for IRL friends, so I'm not giving anyone online the full details, but here's the full list of shows for consideration. I had people vote on which specials to actually watch because we're not spending 12+ hours watching Nickelodeon Halloween specials.

• "The Switching Hour" (Aaahh!!! Real Monsters)
  • "Nightmare in Retroville" (The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius)
  • "The Day the World Got Really Screwed Up" (Angry Beavers)
  • "The Tale of the Midnight Ride" (Are You Afraid of the Dark?)
  • "The Puppetmaster" (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
  • "Scared Of You" (The Backyardigans)
  • "What is Blue Afraid Of?" (Blue's Clues)
  • "CatDogula" (CatDog)
  • "Scaredy Cat" (Catscratch)
  • "Fright Night" (Danny Phantom)
  • "Alien Invasion" (Drake & Josh)
  • "Scary Godparents" (The Fairly OddParents)
  • "Castle Crawl" (Glitch Techs)
  • "Arnold's Halloween" (Hey Arnold!)
  • iScream on Halloween (iCarly)
  • "Halloween Spectacular Spooky Doom" (Invader Zim)
  • "Fool's Paradise" (The Loud House)
  • Catatonic (The Mighty B!)
  • "Raggedy Android" (My Life as a Teenage Robot)
  • "Haunted House" (The Ren & Stimpy Show)
  • "The Night Before" (Rocket Power)
  • Ed is Dead: A Thriller! (Rocko's Modern Life)
  • "Graveyard Shift" (SpongeBob SquarePants)
  • "The Legend of Boo-Kini Bottom" (SpongeBob SquarePants)
  • "The Crypt of Dracula" (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles)
  • "The Curse of King Mutt" (T.U.F.F. Puppy)
  • "Terror on Cupcake Street" (Victorious)
  • "Blood Sisters" (The Wild Thornberrys)
  • "Haunted House" (Zoey 101)

Obviously this isn't a definitive list of every Halloween special and some of it really shows my age (especially the live-action shows, where I honestly just don't have much interest in going back to pre-2000s shows or catching up with 2010s ones), but it is the list I used.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Well, this is an IRL event for IRL friends, so I'm not giving anyone online the full details, but here's the full list of shows for consideration. I had people vote on which specials to actually watch because we're not spending 12+ hours watching Nickelodeon Halloween specials.

• "CatDogula" (CatDog)

Obviously this isn't a definitive list of every Halloween special and some of it really shows my age (especially the live-action shows, where I honestly just don't have much interest in going back to pre-2000s shows or catching up with 2010s ones), but it is the list I used.
Nice, Catscratch is on here which is good. What about Sanjay & Craig? there's a spooky tales episode which was for halloween.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

• "CatDogula" (CatDog)

Nightmare in Retroville
Good taste, it was a pretty strong episode. And I'm glad to see some T.U.F.F. Puppy love on there, too.

amageish

Smash Master
Nice, Catscratch is on here which is good. What about Sanjay & Craig? there's a spooky tales episode which was for halloween.
I honestly was looking through the Wikipedia page and saw a few more 2010s shows that were eligible and just... didn't pick them as there was a ~0% chance of them winning the poll anyway due to the demographics of the people attending, honestly...

Good taste, it was a pretty strong episode. And I'm glad to see some T.U.F.F. Puppy love on there, too.
It was a pretty strong episode! It is funny to me how much it overlaps with Scary Godparents though, as both are episodes about people using [science/magic] to become their costumes... FOP and Neutron had a weird amount of overlap in terms of the kind of stories they told.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It was a pretty strong episode! It is funny to me how much it overlaps with Scary Godparents though, as both are episodes about people using [science/magic] to become their costumes... FOP and Neutron had a weird amount of overlap in terms of the kind of stories they told.
Now I'm reminded of the part in the third Jimmy Timmy Power Hour where The Villain Whose Name Isn't Shirley is matching FOP and Jimmy Neutron characters based on archetype.
"Goofy dad... goofy dad... crazy teacher... crazy teacher! I win again!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom