• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

amageish

Smash Master

Have I mentioned how surprised/confused I am by the increasingly-large amounts of money on the line for this week-and-bit old game? There's thousands of dollars on the line for tournaments for a game so new that multitude of people haven't had their copies arrive yet...

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location

Have I mentioned how surprised/confused I am by the increasingly-large amounts of money on the line for this week-and-bit old game? There's thousands of dollars on the line for tournaments for a game so new that multitude of people haven't had their copies arrive yet...
This is like the third time I've heard MvC2 music in relation to this game and I'm kind of digging it.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Decided to do a canon power tier list with the Nick characters:
my-image.png

• Zim may have an alien army but is pretty stupid, mostly.
  • Reptar is in City tier due to him destroying buildings in his tv show from Rugrats
  • Lincoln survived stuff like Lisa's house explosion, Luan's deadly pranks and once got crushed by heavy stuff like a concrete crusher in Teacher's Union.
  • Sponge and Patrick are powerful underwater but weak to drying out on land

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I really hope that the devs start to patch out some of the cheesy BS like the Dair chains because I already got tired of seeing them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

To be fair, some pro players are absurdly dedicated to their craft. This is why Metroid Dread had speedrunners barely after it just released, for one.

Nick, Ludosity and Game Mill right now respectively be like:

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The prize pools for Nick Brawl aren't even that big all things considered, but pro Smash players are so used to being outright abused by Nintendo that the GameMill prize pool donations seem like the holy grail.

Not saying GameMill's donations are too low or anything like that either mind you, they're incredibly impressive for a budget publisher, but the fact nobody's complaining about Nick themselves not donating does show how desensitised Smash and platform fighter fans are.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nintendo is Mr. Krabs
Nick, actually, since Nick hadn't the slightest idea that this would make money at all (and it's the best comparison I could think of since unlike Spongebob, no developer ran out of a different company to make and sell their own fighting game).

Well, at least any more than Kart Racer's meagre returns.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
The prize pools for Nick Brawl aren't even that big all things considered, but pro Smash players are so used to being outright abused by Nintendo that the GameMill prize pool donations seem like the holy grail.

Not saying GameMill's donations are too low or anything like that either mind you, they're incredibly impressive for a budget publisher, but the fact nobody's complaining about Nick themselves not donating does show how desensitised Smash and platform fighter fans are.
Yeah, I'm aware the prize pools here are very small by, like, MOBA standards, but it's crazy how quickly this game has blossomed by platform fighter standards. Obviously there was hype for it and it's gotten some good press, but it's still surprising to me!

As for the Game Mill vs Nick thing, I think that Game Mill is kind of letting Nick get the credit for a certain amount of the promotion and such. Like, HungryBox was sponsored "By Nickelodeon" for a bunch of his videos, but I'm guessing it wasn't Brian Robbins signing the cheques...

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

I mean, GameMill and another sponsor are putting up the money, they want the game to succeed competitively and in general, and this is a good way to do it. However, they should probably ban Mikey for such a huge tournament with so much on the line, or it might damage the credibility of the game. Literally no other character can compete, not even Oblina or Lucy. And Ludosity almost definitely won't be able to patch it before then.

amageish

Smash Master
So yeah, I don't think we'll need to worry about it selling enough to bring in voice actors now. When the VAs will come is anyone's guess, though I assume it would be after the seasonal DLC is actually underway.
Yeah, VO of some sort seems inevitable at this point, though I wouldn't be too shocked if a some of the roster ended up using sound-alikes for one reason or another.

I mean, GameMill and another sponsor are putting up the money, they want the game to succeed competitively and in general, and this is a good way to do it. However, they should probably ban Mikey for such a huge tournament with so much on the line, or it might damage the credibility of the game. Literally no other character can compete, not even Oblina or Lucy. And Ludosity almost definitely won't be able to patch it before then.
Yeah, they are; it's definitely a good way to esnure people keep up labbing the games and people are excited to watch its streams. Mikey has been banned from the Smash Con tournament, so we'll see if this one follows suit...

amageish

Smash Master
I remember reading a while back about stages getting variants at some point (I think ceiling-less Ghost Zone was one?) - is there any truth to this?
I haven't been watching every interview or offhand thought, but a hazard toggle was not planned for the game just due to project size.

1634239134679.png

I imagine one would be on the table of potential features to be added with more time and more budget, though I don't know if they'd make it a priority - especially when some of the stages as we have them would be pretty similar to each other (ex/ a hazardless Jellyfish Fields is just Rooftop Rumble).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So yeah, I don't think we'll need to worry about it selling enough to bring in voice actors now. When the VAs will come is anyone's guess, though I assume it would be after the seasonal DLC is actually underway.
Right now, it's just a matter of whether Nick cares enough to get the VAs together for this game. The ball's in their court on that front, and I can see them being out-of-touch enough for them to just not even bother.
Yeah, they are; it's definitely a good way to esnure people keep up labbing the games and people are excited to watch its streams. Mikey has been banned from the Smash Con tournament, so we'll see if this one follows suit...
Why exactly is Mikey being banned? I can't complain, since I kind of don't like fighting the guy, but the infinite jump glitch got patched out, and he doesn't seem THAT good compared to folks like Leo and Lucy.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Why exactly is Mikey being banned? I can't complain, since I kind of don't like fighting the guy, but the infinite jump glitch got patched out, and he doesn't seem THAT good compared to folks like Leo and Lucy.
If you watched the HBox tournament yesterday, you'd see, they just grab and nair off the side, and there were a lot of Mikey dittos. Players like Albert (Oblina), Fullstream (Lucy), and ThunderzReign (Leonardo) were doing really well and seemed to be dominating, until they came up against a good Mikey and then they were lucky to get on the board with a single stock the whole set. The grand finals came down to another Mikey ditto, and they even started one of the matches taunt-spamming like Bayonetta at Evo. But then for the last match they switched to Patrick lol

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, VO of some sort seems inevitable at this point, though I wouldn't be too shocked if a some of the roster ended up using sound-alikes for one reason or another.

I don't mind the possibility one bit, as long as we don't get Imitation Krabs again like in BFBB.

amageish

Smash Master
Just to avoid nair spam, as TeenGirlSquad alluded to. When you have 10k on the line, it's reasonable to expect people will be playing as optimally as possible, so an exploitable move like that gone unchecked would have been... non-ideal, even if it's likely to be an Aang/Lucy/Leo/Oblina-fest without him.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Game's not even a month old yet, and already throwing bans. Kinda ridiculous
I mean ordinarily, considering how long it took to ban Meta Knight, yes it's kind of unprecedented, but I think they really just want to bolster the credibility of the game (and the prize pool) by making sure there aren't any shenanigans, especially ones that aren't spectator-friendly and force a lot of dittos and janky play. I'm a bit worried it will be an Oblina dair-fest tho, but at least other characters have decent matchups against her.

EDIT: Also it's a three-stock tourney, so the matches would last like 30 seconds.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
If you watched the HBox tournament yesterday, you'd see, they just grab and nair off the side
I had a Mikey player do that to me last night while I was playing Reptar. Pretty miserable experience compared to the other matches I've had.
I don't mind the possibility one bit, as long as we don't get Imitation Krabs again like in BFBB.
If it was just a friend doing a Krabs impression I'd say it was pretty good, but professionally speaking it was definitely off.

Ngl though, BfBB was one of the first games I ever played so I've got a soft spot for the dork.

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, banning a character for big-money tourneys happening before the game has been patched is totally reasonable to me.

On that note, Rep has been indicating some major patches and balance changes are currently in the works!

1634259702770.png

1634260005467.png

Idk if I'd go with a trial by fire, but what's the worst that can happen!

Also, Alexis plans on forcing him to watch The Loud House.

1634260030700.png

I wish him luck with the Season 5 episodes where they try to convince us that Lincoln's friends are entertaining enough to carry a full episode.
(Don't actually worry about him being distressed; they banter like this a lot... like, a lot a lot.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, banning a character for big-money tourneys happening before the game has been patched is totally reasonable to me.

On that note, Rep has been indicating some major patches and balance changes are currently in the works!

View attachment 334304

View attachment 334306

Idk if I'd go with a trial by fire, but what's the worst that can happen!

Also, Alexis plans on forcing him to watch The Loud House.

View attachment 334307

I wish him luck with the Season 5 episodes where they try to convince us that Lincoln's friends are entertaining enough to carry a full episode.
(Don't actually worry about him being distressed; they banter like this a lot... like, a lot a lot.)
Technically, they can't finish that season since its October episodes have yet to air. :4pacman:

Speaking of TLH, I completely forgot that they had a crossover with Double Dare once. It would be hilarious if it turned out that they're saving it for a TLH character later on, instead of Shredder.

amageish

Smash Master
Technically, they can't finish that season since its October episodes have yet to air. :4pacman:

Speaking of TLH, I completely forgot that they had a crossover with Double Dare once. It would be hilarious if it turned out that they're saving it for a TLH character later on, instead of Shredder.
Woah, Amazon Prime's Nick+ service actually including an ongoing season somehow surprises me! Though also in Canada a few fandom episodes are MIA due to YTV having the rights for them, which includes a lot of the Halloween specials which sucks... I'm having an event with some friends watching Nick Halloween episodes and I'm having to use "Fool's Paradise" as a psuedo-Halloween episode... I mean, it's a horror movie patishe, so it gets half points, right?

I considered making a joke about that when it leaked, but I think I gave up because of SmashBoards not wanting to accept the image file of it... Time for a third Loud House rep, but said rep is DareBot.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So I'm curious, are there any aspects of a character you feel are out of place or don't match up to said character to you?

For me it's Spongebob's bite. I get what it's referencing but it's so jarring seeing Spongebob, who is otherwise really cute and whimsical in this game suddenly unhinge and snap his jaw like a snake.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So I'm curious, are there any aspects of a character you feel are out of place or don't match up to said character to you?

For me it's Spongebob's bite. I get what it's referencing but it's so jarring seeing Spongebob, who is otherwise really cute and whimsical in this game suddenly unhinge and snap his jaw like a snake.
Patrick's Toot Laser, not in a "modern spongebob bad" way but in an "I literally never saw that episode" way.

Also, the fact that PTM flies FORWARDS when airdashing.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Patrick's Toot Laser, not in a "modern spongebob bad" way but in an "I literally never saw that episode" way.

Also, the fact that PTM flies FORWARDS when airdashing.
Patrick's "Toot Laser" is from the Season 5 episode "Spy Buddies" where he and SpongeBob act as spies for Mr. Krabs and one of the gadgets he gets is a laser that fires from his pants.

As for Powdered Toast Man, at least he flies backwards in his victory animation, so there's that.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

To add some positivity to that, it captures the cartoony-ness of the show were sometimes they can do some unorthodox moments or silly faces.

Hopefully, what i'm saying is right.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, that's the problem. I only watched SpongeBob up to season 4. I wouldn't have put that on a Patrick moveset, simply because I'm not familiar with it, not because it's post-movie, since season 4 was too.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
So, I haven't seen much discussion on him (and that's probably because his show wasn't too good) But what would your thoughts be if Tak was added in the future?

Back in the 2000s Nick tried to make an original video game IP called Tak and the Power of Juju. The games themselves are pretty alright considering the circumstances (I own 2 of them myself) but they're no longer that popular due to the show's low reception killing the franchise.

Probably not the most unique talking point but I love exploring weird ideas for fighters that no one expects.
ps2_tak_2_the_staff_of_dreams-110214.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Woah, Amazon Prime's Nick+ service actually including an ongoing season somehow surprises me! Though also in Canada a few fandom episodes are MIA due to YTV having the rights for them, which includes a lot of the Halloween specials which sucks... I'm having an event with some friends watching Nick Halloween episodes and I'm having to use "Fool's Paradise" as a psuedo-Halloween episode... I mean, it's a horror movie patishe, so it gets half points, right?

I considered making a joke about that when it leaked, but I think I gave up because of SmashBoards not wanting to accept the image file of it... Time for a third Loud House rep, but said rep is DareBot.
I was more referring to the fact that stages don't need to match the character 100% (e.g. Sandy in Glove World, Toph in Omashu, Reptar in Teeter-Totter Gulch, etc.).

That said, it wouldn't hurt to have some Aaahh!!! Real Monsters episodes in between, for that event of yours. Also, there's Silence of The Luans, if you need a double-feature of sorts.

So, I haven't seen much discussion on him (and that's probably because his show wasn't too good) But what would your thoughts be if Tak was added in the future?

Back in the 2000s Nick tried to make an original video game IP called Tak and the Power of Juju. The games themselves are pretty alright considering the circumstances (I own 2 of them myself) but they're no longer that popular due to the show's low reception killing the franchise.

Probably not the most unique talking point but I love exploring weird ideas for fighters that no one expects.
View attachment 334333
I'd be neutral about it, since I wasn't really interested in this series even when it was still active.

Last edited:

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman

Then that should capture the vibe of Spongebob very well. Because there's far too many moments where the show purposefully does gross out and extremely zany stuff with normally cute/appealing characters. I'm pretty sure the amount of off putting zoom ins with Spongebob as a character are in the double digits.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

Doesn't feel jarring considering the things characters in that show have done even since season 1. The bite, if anything, reminds me a lot of "I'm With Stupid" when he does an overly large, dramatic chomp to Patrick's hand when he's pointing at Spongebob when mocking him in front of his parents.

Top Bottom