• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Nevermind, I spoke exactly one frame too soon, it seems. Aang looks REALLY fun. I typically enjoy speedy, aerial-heavy, combo-focused characters, so I bet I'm gonna like him a lot. A lot of his moves look awesome to use; that Up Strong sending him up into the air seems like it'll have some real fun combo applications, and killing people with the Avatar State offstage is gonna be really cool, I can already tell. (And as predicted, Air Ball looks like a joy to play around with.) I don't think I'm gonna main him since I've barely seen Avatar, and I don't wanna be accused of being a "fake fan" by any Aang mains out there, but I might carry him as a secondary if he's as good as he looks.
Korra's looking less my speed (literally and figuratively), but I'm liking how her combos are looking. She's probably the closest we have to a traditional fighting game character in this game, which I'm certainly down with. I also find it funny how she's the only character who has chargeable strong attacks, when that's usually a universal mechanic in platform fighters. I don't think I'll play her as much as Aang, but I'll probably bust her out in friendlies from time to time. (Also, why does her taunt make Kirby jump noises?)

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
About the two, Aang is a pretty fast character with some great combo potential and a great reach. He hits like a butterfly though which might be pretty appropiate. I like that they gave him a comeback mechanic of sorts. He remains exactly where I put him last time. The stage is also prefection for 4 players matches though it looks a bit too big for 2 player battles.

Korra on the other hand has some pretty unique mechanic. It kinda reminds me of Robin. I wonder how this will affect her playstyle. Korra´s down special was my guess for Toph. Now, I wonder what are they going to give to her instead. Korra´s stage is absolutely gorgeous. Great work with the music too.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Gonna watch the Avatars showcase now but I'm kind of disappointed that Aang's moveset only incorporates airbending while Korra's only incorporates Water and Fire. Feels to me like the team didn't think they could make two distinct movesets utilizing all four elements even though the two characters have very different fighting styles. That basically disconfirms Zuko too which is disappointing since he was my most wanted.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why does Korra get the better moveset? If I want to play as an Avatar, I have to pick her, if I want to play as an Aibender, I pick Aang. That's ****.
After looking at both their moveset showcases, it seems neither one is truly like playing as a master of four elements. I think they're saving most of the earthbending stuff for Toph, while Aang represents airbending and Korra focuses mostly on water and firebending.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Alright, I've the showcases for both Avatars, so let's talk!

Honestly, between the two, I think Aang's the one that seems more my style; I typically enjoy the faster, combo-based characters, plus I like that he has the Avatar State when he's in danger. I also like that he seems to be the only character so far that emphasizes aerial combat, which makes sense with him being an Airbender and sets him apart from the rest of the cast. Also, I loved that dance he does for his victory animation!

As for Korra, she seems more aggression and power-centric as opposed to combos, which does seem to fit her character (at least, in Season 1), and I like that she incorporates all four styles of Bending into her moveset; it emphasizes how she ties her identity to being the Avatar while also setting her apart from Aang. Though I have to admit, a part of me cringed a bit when they mentioned that her strong attacks utilize the same "Tap/Hold Button" mechanic that Ryu and Ken have; I am garbage at that mechanic and can never seem to get it to work when I want to, so we'll just see how things play out. I also like her victory animation as well.

As for the stages, the Western Air Temple seems decent, though I probably won't play it unless I have the urge to play a four-way free-for-all, and the Harmonic Convergence is just straight-up Final Destination. Also, I'm really digging the music of both these stages! Also also, Marcus forgot to mention poor Momo in the background of Western Air Temple!

Finally, I noticed that there are now 4 private videos in the playlist; I can see multiple options: either it's reveal trailers for all three Avatar characters (since despite seeing footage of Aang and Korra that was clearly from those reveal-style trailers, they haven't been put up) as well as Reptar's showcase, or it's a reveal and showcase for Toph, the showcase for Reptar, and then the showcase for either Zim or Powdered Toast Man.

And I guess if we're doing updated tier lists now, after this mine is:

Potential Mains:
SpongeBob SquarePants
Aang
Lincoln Loud
April O'Neil
CatDog
Reptar
Helga
Danny Phantom
Oblina

Potential Secondaries:
Sandy Cheeks
Lucy Loud
Ren & Stimpy
Nigel Thornberry

Just for Fun:
Patrick Star
Korra
Michelangelo
Leonardo

N/A:
Toph
Powdered Toast Man
Zim

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Gonna watch the Avatars showcase now but I'm kind of disappointed that Aang's moveset only incorporates airbending while Korra's only incorporates Water and Fire. Feels to me like the team didn't think they could make two distinct movesets utilizing all four elements even though the two characters have very different fighting styles. That basically disconfirms Zuko too which is disappointing since he was my most wanted.
She does have earth and air, but more water and fire.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Aang's moveset looks great what do you mean? Can't argue music though
Let me put it this way: ATLA is my favorite show, if not my favorite piece of MEDIA of all time. I always wanted to see Aang in a fighting game, utilizing the abilities he picked up over three seasons and fighting like the master of the four elements he is. Then there's Legend of Korra, which among other problems I have with it, retconned a lot of stuff from the original series, focused more on relationships, and had a protagonist purely designed for the sake of being as different (and unlikable) from Aang as possible. Korra is the hugest example of "missed opportunity" to me, and as a protagonist, I despise Korra herself. So naturally, her show not only got more episodes than TLA, but got all the media coverage for being "too adult for Nickelodeon, You GOTTA WATCH THIS SHOW!"

So to see the moveset I've always wanted Aang to have... on her... feels like a slap in the face to me, even if it's not exclusively at me, or even meant in that way.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I wish Korra's Neutral was a projectile, both her Neutral and Down special feel the same outside of down neutral's air variant.
Yup same, would've loved a projectile.
Will have to figure out the times to use which dash special

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Update.

And yes, despite my hatred of Korra, the moveset is the most important thing for me in a platform fighter, and she's got the moveset. Characters ARE ordered in tier.

1633111928328.png

dlewis53

Smash Lord

updated the tier list maker to include Aang and Korra
Okay, I've been trying to make a proper tier list with the characters, but when I click on "Save" it keeps telling me to complete the list even though I put a title and description there. What am I missing?

amageish

Smash Master
So to see the moveset I've always wanted Aang to have... on her... feels like a slap in the face to me, even if it's not exclusively at me, or even meant in that way.
I... slightly question how Korra's moveset would actually fit Aang, beyond the aesthetics of it? Korra's moveset does visually have a more even spread of elements, but she's really just the game's bruiser archetype and a hand-to-hand fighter when it all comes down to it? Which it would be pretty darn weird seeing Aang be; I know he does have some good showdowns later into the series, but he is still largely a "strike fast, retreat, strike fast again" fighter, which is reflected in his moveset quite nicely.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, are we just not gonna get to actually see Aang and Korra's reveal trailer? lol.
Yeah, that's really weird to me because the footage seen in the Xbox Showcase (not that podcast) shows footage that is clearly from a reveal trailer, and yet we've gotten nothing so far.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Korra looks ****ing siiiiick lmai, her grounded light moves having built in followups like some of Kazuya's normals is fun, her Strong attacks having press and hold variants is cool and she generally looks cool as hell. Aang looks more technical but still pretty nutty, though my question is what Aang can do out of Air Ball, can he jump off of it for a glide of sorts? Either way, they both look good

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Okay so I just saw the showcases
Still disappointed in Aang's moveset only having airbending moves but he seems fun enough to play as, might pick him up.
Kinda miffed that Korra got the moveset with all the elements since I really don't care for her show compared to TLA. Might try her out.

Toph is probably still gonna be my main when all is said and done

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Yeah I don't see myself not playing Korra lol. She looks right up my alley in terms of playstyle. Her stage is great too.

And yeah, I'm a tiny bit disappointed that Aang only really uses Air moves but he still looks pretty fun, seems like he'll be a combo monster. And that taunt is exactly what it should have been.

Now just show me Toph already dammit.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Oh yeah I forgot to talk about that Korra stage

It looks fun to play on but I'm never selecting it out of principal because **** Legend of Korra season 2

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So now that things seemed to have settle down, I have a quick question about Air-Dashing:

Was it ever elaborated on how Air-Dashing is performed? Is there going to be a button to press, or is it similar to Air-Dodging in Smash where you press the shield button while in midair?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I kinda get why Aang is just wind; I mean, he is The Last Airbender and all, would have been weird not to put much emphasis on his upbringing.

I'm liking both renders (particularly Aang's), but that is not the same Korra render that was posted on Twitter.

How does this keep happening?

...Yeah, this definitely feels like the worst way they could've handled these reveals.
Even dumping them on launch day like I suggested would have been better than this. A hot mess overall. :pcfire:

Yeah, but on the bright side at least this'll leave a little more room for DLC character possibilities to back.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So now that things seemed to have settle down, I have a quick question about Air-Dashing:

Was it ever elaborated on how Air-Dashing is performed? Is there going to be a button to press, or is it similar to Air-Dodging in Smash where you press the shield button while in midair?
Iirc they said you can put it on a macro, meaning you can give yourself an Airdash button if you so please

Teeb147

Smash Legend

It's a button. It's an air dash, no dodge. You can go in any direction in the air.
That's about it i think :p You can wavedash with it.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Yeah, but on the bright side at least this'll leave a little more room for DLC character possibilities to back.
The thing is, I don't really care for most Nick properties not named Avatar. The only character I really want for this game is Zuko. I'm fine with Aang and Toph being the sole representative but I sure as hell ain't backing stuff I don't care about.

With that the post you quoted jumped the gun since Korra uses both Earth and Airbending in her moveset, which overlaps with Aang and Toph, so Zuko is not off the table.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I... slightly question how Korra's moveset would actually fit Aang, beyond the aesthetics of it? Korra's moveset does visually have a more even spread of elements, but she's really just the game's bruiser archetype and a hand-to-hand fighter when it all comes down to it? Which it would be pretty darn weird seeing Aang be; I know he does have some good showdowns later into the series, but he is still largely a "strike fast, retreat, strike fast again" fighter, which is reflected in his moveset quite nicely.
It's less of "I want the EXACT moveset" and more of the concept of the moveset - utilizing all four elements, you know, like the AVATAR.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So I went to the game's website, and it looks like the Countdown Clock is gone now, so who knows when Toph is gonna be revealed?

If it's not the weekend, then it has to be on Monday.

Top Bottom